Mega Man Megathread

X

Xem

Re: Mega Man 9

Griffith No More! said:
megamancrucifixion.gif

Mega Man the Messiah!

man i love that there is a new mega man. i wish they would make a new mega man legends even though alot of people hated it but i liked how it had a zelda like feeling to it

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

September can't get here quick enough... Now why haven't any of the previous Mega Man games been released on Virtual Console? It'd make sense for Nintendo to ramp up the hype by pushing the older titles now. But then, so far there's not been consistency, quality or logic to the Virtual Console's releases. :schierke:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

They are planning to release Mega Man 1 and 2 on virtual console leading up to the release of 9, but yeah, they should all already be on there.

Again though, if you're chomping at the bit for Mega Man action, GET THIS:

http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pub/final2.zip

Play it at whatever res in the config is closest to full screen while running the program at 640x480 compatibility, and use joy2key with a gamepad and you're golden.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIH8QSu5cpA

Here's a sample, now interestingly enough, all these videos actually look different from the version I'm playing above, the backgrounds are much more detailed and closer to the original, so I don't understand why they aren't still there or would be from an earlier version and removed unless they borrowed too closely, or even directly, from the original 16-Bit game. Anyone have an earlier (or is it later) build of this? The first major difference you can see is that it says "2ch Presents" instead of "20th Anniversary" and the picture of Bass on the title screen is different.

Majin_Tenshi

The can opener went bye-bye...

Griffith No More! said:
Here's a sample, now interestingly enough, all these videos actually look different from the version I'm playing above, the backgrounds are much more detailed and closer to the original, so I don't understand why they aren't still there or would be from an earlier version and removed unless they borrowed too closely, or even directly, from the original 16-Bit game. Anyone have an earlier (or is it later) build of this? The first major difference you can see is that it says "2ch Presents" instead of "20th Anniversary" and the picture of Bass on the title screen is different.

Its an issue of what they're trying for. If they're trying for a true 8-bit possability, the less impressive one is newer. The youtube seems to have an enhanced base resolution and probably more then 8 colors on screen at a time (hard to tell).

Griffith

Yeah, I'm just trying to discover which is the case, for there are also some artistic changes and choices that don't seem to have anything to do with the limits of their preference on graphical capabilities.

Here are a couple of videos showing the different openings/images.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtggTg-qZIU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvRfMTP-Kao

Unfortunately, Freeze Man's level doesn't really illustrate the other graphical differences I've seen in all the others.

I've gone to the trouble of gathering my own photographic evidence of Cloud Man's and Burst Man's stages. Screencaps of the original 16-bit game, the 8-bit youtube videos, followed lastly by the version I'm playing for comparison:

megaman7b.jpg

megaman7a.jpg

Weird, obviously the elements aren't directly borrowed from the original in the youtube vids, which don't look beyond the capabilities of later 8-bit games from a basic design standpoint, and yet the designs in mine are, not only simpler, but completely different, while all indications are that these were produced from the same source, in production of the same game. I'm sure there's a simple explanation like Majin's, there's only so many reasons there could be after all, but I haven't seen anybody even acknowledge these differences, let alone discuss or explain them (there's really not a lot written about the game in English other than exclamations of it's coolness and that it should be checked out). So, the question remains... Why?

Thoughts on this, Mega Man7, 9, or Mega Man in general?

UPDATE:

Aha!

http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru/pages/13.html

The second link on the same page as the game (top link), has those alternate maps in a zip, attempting to implement them... and directly swapping the images does not work. Can anyone who reads Japanese well get in on this? =)

Majin_Tenshi

Griffith No More! said:
Weird, obviously the elements aren't directly borrowed from the original in the youtube vids, which don't look beyond the capabilities of later 8-bit games ...
Sprite count on screen. Those detailed beakers and clouds, ect all cut into the limited sprite pallet the NES had.

Griffith

That may be the reason, but they don't necessarily go over the maximum, assuming the producers care (which is also just our conjecture), and it also doesn't explain why the designs would be completely different rather than just simplified. Anyway, it might be irrelevant as the maps are offered separately on the site along with a map designer, whether for that reason or not is unclear... are the maps by the same designers, by others? Were they meant for the game originally, or just as fun updates or mods?

Yeah, none of this is terribly compelling, more importantly, I'd like to know how to successfully implement them. =)

Majin_Tenshi

In order for them to have the geometric complexity shown in the higher quality one, they'd need more then the 8-16 sprites that the NES supported on screen at once. A single fan blade probably takes up 8 sprites (but they can be mirrored per blade). Unless they do some ingenious swap out mid frame, it just is impossible to do it. I doubt the NES could swap out sprites/colors mid frame, or they would have.

As for switching out the levels, it depends entirely on how the game is written. If everything is little 4x4 pixel stamps then building things like the clouds is a pain. If its a big, lets say 3-layered, bitmap that just just happens to conform to 8-bit rules, the whole stage its effortless to swap out the graphics.

As for changing out the monsters and ground, its probably just easier to program it from scratch rather then hack through the files.

Griffith

Thanks, good info, but that still doesn't answer the broader questions conclusively (unless you're aware that this was their reasoning and not just a likelihood).

Anyone who reads Japanese reading this thread? Anybody care besides me and Majin? =)

Griffith

Hey AC, have you found the PU fist yet? It's the last thing I need to get.

Griffith

I already looked in Spring Man's stage, but all I found was the Energy Balancer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Mega Man 1 came out on the Wii's Virtual Console today. Whew, it's really a stinker by comparison to its progeny. There's all these little bugs and glitches I'd forgotten about. Can't wait for Mega Man 2 or 9 to come save the day.

Majin_Tenshi

Walter said:
Mega Man 1 came out on the Wii's Virtual Console today. Whew, it's really a stinker by comparison to its progeny. There's all these little bugs and glitches I'd forgotten about. Can't wait for Mega Man 2 or 9 to come save the day.

The only thing that comes to mind is the stupid speed fall off of the conveyers in gutsman's stage. If you catch that you're probably dead anyways. I remember an infuriating one in a later game. Floating platforms would rise out of fixed ones. Seems reasonable to just stand on a fixed one and wait. Sometimes though, instead of lifting you, the platform will push you over a death pit leaving you nothing to do but die.

Griffith

I don't know about glitches, but MM1 sure doesn't fuck around (like not even being hit and blinking can save you from instant death spikes). It just isn't much fun for replays, yet ironically, the only way to beat it is to know it like the back of your hand.

Anyway, me and a couple of other Mega Man enthusiasts have been drinking heavily (cheap 40's, Sparks, and we classed it up this week with White Russians) and replaying the series in anticipation of doing the same with Mega Man 9. It's a lot of fun. Last week we did Mega Man 4, and then this weekend it was MM5 and then 2. And just a reminder, if anyone knows where to find the PU punch in the MM7 remake, let me know, cause I'm too lazy to keep looking myself. =)

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

Going on 5 myself. Then I made the mistake of playing the PS1 MM X's on my PSP... Jesus. What happened there? Anywho, I don't know your feelings towards X there Griff, the SNES X1 remake for PSP was actually impressive. I know you're not all for remakes but this one MIGHT be enjoyable for ya.

Majin_Tenshi

I went though most of the megaman games a few semesters ago. I skipped the .nets cause I like to pretend they don't exist and the old gameboy ones. I did play the MMX RPG, its as bad as they say. I'm fairly fond of the portables that've come out over recent years. Megaman Zero and ZX are pretty good.

Maverick Hunter X is really good, I wish they did more remakes like that. Powered Up had plenty of features, but I'm not fond of the style, and, well, it plays like a more forgiving MM1.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Comes out tomorrow. Here's IGN's review, with a video review as well:

http://wii.ign.com/articles/911/911715p1.html

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Well, it's awesome.

It is indeed just like an 8-bit game with the few exceptions being the framerate somehow feels more fluid, the in-game store (to buy energy tanks, etc), and the ~50 challenges that are unlocked as you accomplish various feats, some simple (defeat a boss with just the M. Buster), some insane (beat the game without missing 1 shot).

I've beaten 3 bosses so far, though none of the three weapons I've accumulated were useful against the fourth boss I fought and died on. So I guess Im playing in the "wrong" order. Oh no! :isidro:

As for the challenge of the game, the most brutal aspect is the placement of the enemies. The level designers are just downright diabolical sometimes. Also, having to repeat the same areas over and over when you die is another challenge in an of itself - battling with your own patience. There's a halfway point through each level. If you die before it, you start over. Nothing unexpected, but I just don't recall dying so often in a Mega Man game. I played through 2 last night from start to finish,and I guess I just know the game too well, but I only continued once. THIS game? Ive already continued 3 times, and I've only beaten 3 bosses.

Anyway, it's a blast, and easily the first true must-buy Wii Ware title.

Griffith

URRRRGHH!!! I can't wait to play this thing over the weekend. BTW, did anyone beat Mega Man 7 FC? I collected everything and got to the Wily stages but kind of fell out of it before I could make a serious run. If I could play it on my friend's Wii or something we'd beat it for sure (actually, I AM replaying Mega Man 7 on his Wii).

Top Bottom