Mega Man Megathread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Mega Man 9

Griffith No More! said:
(actually, I AM replaying Mega Man 7 on his Wii).
Whaa? How? Dont tell me... the dreaded anniversary collection! Did you reverse your thumbs to make it more natural? =)

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Walter said:
Whaa? How? Dont tell me... the dreaded anniversary collection! Did you reverse your thumbs to make it more natural? =)

Unfortunately yes, FATAL ERROR! I don't know how they fucked that up. On the classic ones I psychologically compensate by using the turbo, it's still on the wrong side, but at least I can feel like I'm going out of my way to cheat and getting something for it. Also, since we're drinking heavily anyway, reversed controls only add to the experience. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Well in MM9 they have your bases covered. You can switch them however you want.

x
And with the classic controller, setup like this:    y      a
                                                                      b

You can effectively assign any of the buttons to either jump or shoot, which lets you use the B A combo or the X B combo, which is what I use.

Griffith

It's the fucking real deal. I'm playing it with the sideways wiimote and it's just fine, feels like the old days. Buying/downloading it was an ordeal in itself (made the game easy by comparison), but that's a long story. :schierke:

Anyway, it's certainly challenging in a good way, a few quick deaths off the bat and it feels daunting at first (at least for me, because I played each individual level before making a go at just one to get used to it). It actually made me drink less to compensate! Anyway, in my first sitting I managed to make it to Wily's Castle, but so far haven't made it past, I think, the second level boss. I like the save feature, and the screw/item system is nice (if a bit TOO convenient).

Overall, I think one question sums it up... when's Mega Man 10 coming out? =)

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head

Griffith No More! said:
It's the fucking real deal. I'm playing it with the sideways wiimote and it's just fine, feels like the old days. Buying/downloading it was an ordeal in itself (made the game easy by comparison), but that's a long story. :schierke:

Anyway, it's certainly challenging in a good way, a few quick deaths off the bat and it feels daunting at first (at least for me, because I played each individual level before making a go at just one to get used to it). It actually made me drink less to compensate! Anyway, in my first sitting I managed to make it to Wily's Castle, but so far haven't made it past, I think, the second level boss. I like the save feature, and the screw/item system is nice (if a bit TOO convenient).

Are you getting Protoman for the extra $2 dollars?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Glad to hear you're digging it too. I knew it'd be a homerun for you. I've made it as far as Wily Stage 3, but kept dying so I gave up for now.

Griffith No More! said:
Buying/downloading it was an ordeal in itself (made the game easy by comparison), but that's a long story. :schierke:
How so? The WiiShop channel is about as straightforward as I can imagine. I guess you just didn't know the county you lived in? Or something went haywire with the billing somehow?

Indeed, it's been a huge success, as far as I can tell. I can't imagine Capcom will leave us hanging.

Guts' intestines said:
Are you getting Protoman for the extra $2 dollars?
You just wanted to be cool and be the first to post here about it :zodd: Either way, that option doesn't even become available until October 6.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head

Walter said:
You just wanted to be cool and be the first to post here about it :zodd: Either way, that option doesn't even become available until October 6.

:guts: I'm not even being sarcastic here but that was the exact reason I said that, I didn't have much to say and I didn't think anyone mentioned it yet, but as a crappy comeback: you just wanted to be the first to call me out on it :ganishka:.

And I knew Protoman wasn't out yet, I was asking if he would. Come on Walter give me a little credit :carcus:.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

If it's any consolation, I WILL be buying Proto Man. I really miss the lack of a slide and charged shots. Not really sure why they're not included -- I guess the designers felt they weren't classic enough.

Also, Im hoping MM9's success will spur Nintendo to release the rest of the series on Virtual Console. I really want to play MM3 now.

m said:

nothing but mega man 3's intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL30lU26egw

side note: i hope you are all familiar with this legendary mega man 2 wily stage karaoke performance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mfncnu_YH4
this vid had the best sound but not the best subtitle clarity sorry

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

You can order the T-shirt off Capcom's website:

LINK

And yes, the game is totally awesome and unquestionably worth $10.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

I just hope I can get one of those NES packs before they sell out on the Capcom store as they're going to be morbidly rare. Sadly I haven't purchased the game yet, I've only played the demo. My buds in Chicago were railing me for playing this game because they are graphic whores and don't appreciate the nostalgia like I do. Honestly, the short demo of this put more smiles on my face than anything I've played in a LONG time.

Griffith

megamancrucifixion.gif

DLC for the game allows you to play as Proto Man.

Pros:
Slide
Charge Shot

Cons:
Takes double the damage
Has farther knock back when hit

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6198662.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Okay Wily's castle is seriously pissing me off and I quit Mega Man forever. After one more shot! :guts:
This game got me so nervous my hands are shaking.

Griffith

handsome rakshas said:
Okay Wily's castle is seriously pissing me off and I quit Mega Man forever. After one more shot! :guts:
This game got me so nervous my hands are shaking.

What seems to be the trouble? I can tell you how to handle it. :badbone:

Anyway, my long awaited epic story of how I defied Murphy's Law, the Internet, WiiShop and fate to play Mega Man 9.

I don't have a Wii, which means I'm playing it at my friend's place on his roommates Wii, which is fine, because we play all the old Mega Man games together anyway. Now, their Internet is a little iffy, especially when it comes to console connections for online play. So I tell my bud to have his roomie download it during the week so we'll be sure to have it by Friday if there's a problem. Of course, this did not happen, I get there, and there's no Mega Man 9. I'm nervous, my big irrational fear is won't be able to download it and Mega Man 9 will be denied to us!
Fortunately, the roomie is fully on board with getting it, and looks for his Wii Wi-Fi connector, which he can't locate. I'm not too worried at this point, things are moving along, but I can't shake the bad feeling it could all be for naught if any number of things go wrong, such as the adapter being lost. He finds it, but it doesn't work! He says his friend messed with it one day and since then it hasn't worked right. My fears are being realized... But, he says he thinks he can fix it, he resets it up, reinstalls the disk on his computer, and it appears to be on. He goes to set up the connection on the Wii and... ERROR! Strike one. He continues to fiddle with it, and after a few more error messages, gets it to say it's connected. I'm still dubious, I know the finicky ways of the Internet, there's being technically connected, and then there's being productively connected.
So, he hasn't done anything online with his Wii in ages and goes to get a monstrous update. The bar literally doesn't move. He's not really paying attention, but I'm staring at it knowing from experience, even though I've never used a Wii online, what was next. ERROR! Strike two. Well shit, and now it wants him to reinstall his disk. He, does, sets it all up again, goes for the update, nothing, ERROR! We repeat the process again, bypass the update, and try to get on to WiiShop. We watch the load screen for well over a minute. ERROR! Shit, I can tell he's getting ready to give up on it, he already has his own troubles playing with his 360 online and was having someone come out to look at the connection.
He could wait, I couldn't. I suggest we try to tap into a wireless connection we happen to know is in the air. By this time my friend has joined us, he sets that up, we set up the Wii, and ERROR! Fatal error in fact. Because the not only won't it connect, but now the Wi-Fi adapter has stopped working, the light is dead! We're going in the wrong direction here. They're ready to stop, but I spring into action while my friend makes dinner. I plug the unit into the USB and out over and over, once when I wasn't paying attention, the install screen came up, but I pulled it back out. Damn the luck, but I knew there was hope! I spent the next half hour doing this some more, and making threats of dropping the $40 on a new one, even though it guaranteed nothing. My bud's roomie takes off for the night and I ask if he doesn't mind us fiddling with it even after he leaves and he doesn't care.
I even tried calling our other friend hoping he had a Wii, or a WiFi adapter, because I'd drive all the way to his place too if that meant Mega Man, but he didn't have either as turned out, had some new game of his own, and was a total dead end.
Then my bud springs into action, he's an electrical engineer and boasts, "I fix this stuff for a living." My initial reaction is to scoff, but I remain quiet due to his confidence and the chance he might pull something off. And.. he DOES! After a few minutes fiddling with the unit and the computer, he brought it back to life! I was amazed, this thing was dead as a door nail, and now we were back in business. So we plug it in and get to work, find that the wireless connection is a no go, and so focus on their lousy connection. We get it setup on the Wii, try the update and... ERROR! Fail.
Okay, we try again, this time skipping that and going directly to WiiShop. Again, it loads for over a minute and... SUCCESS! We're through! Farthest we've gotten so far! And right on the popular/recommended titles screen there's Mega Man 9. Click click click! ERROR! Damn it. We reconnect, this time we take it slow, better purchase the Wii points first anyway. It takes 30-60 seconds between each screen. We get to the credit card setup and call his roomie, unfortunately there's no card in so I use mine. I type in the info, which isn't too fun with the WiiMote and a few beers, my number, 123456789fuckyou, name, billing address, card dates, state, country, and... FAILURE, try again!? I do, and keep in mind its taking 30-60 seconds to load anything, having to put in all the data all over, but this time I notice it says COUNTY, not country... what the fuck? That's a new one. So, it works now, and we purchase the WiiPoints after going through what seems like an obnoxious amount of unnecessary warning screens and "are you sure? Y/N" questions (they even pull the trick where yes and no switch sides for the different questions).
I'm getting antsy wasting all this time, who knows when this thing is going to give up the ghost again? We manage to screw up and click on Virtual Console instead of WiiWare (it's not THAT classic I guess), which basically results in us starting over. We go to WiiWare, Mega Man 9 is right at the top of the list, we go for it, click yes to everything, go through the unnecessary screens and... it's loading! Mario is running across the screen, there's three blocks above him, and we have no idea what this means, but I remember the simple blue load bar for the update, the one that would barely move... Mario collects a coin every once in a while. It goes on for what feels like 10 minutes with no change and then... you guessed it, ERROR! I note that it worked well enough to take my money.
Anyway, because of the problem with the USB, we had directly plugged it into the computer rather then using the little extender cable, maybe that would help. Reset it, set up the Internet again, try to download it, and ERROR! Okay, depressing, but I'm not giving in, remember I spent an hour before trying to make a dead USB adapter work, I'm not quiting when it's actually hooked up! Now my friend tries downloading it while I sit at the computer, watch the packets download, and wave the USB stick around on the cable. And it's... working, the problem is the packets freeze every once in a while, and if they don't resume fast enough then we get the error and the download fails.
So I'm waving this thing around and literally yelling encouragement to it, trying to work whatever magic I can. And it's actually working, the packets go fast for a while, freeze, I try to find the sweet spot, and they go again, Mario breaks a block! But then, it slows down, and freezes, and it's barely going again and... ERROR! We try again, make about the same progress, and ERROR! Damn it. So, we try again, this time I plug it in behind the computer, closer to the Wii, and wave it around more towards the Wii as well, I also turn the monitor around so I can keep track of the packets. It's moving along, I'm in a good rhythm with it, one block breaks, the coins are coming steadily, I'm minimizing the slow downs and freezes, two blocks go!!! It's moving but now the coins aren't coming so fast, it's slowing, the packets are crawling, no coins, COME ON! ERROR!! NO!!!
Now we try the update again because we can actually observe the progress via the blue bar there, and maybe it will help, but it goes terribly, it doesn't even get as far as the last time we tried the update. My friend is ready to throw in the towel, it just wasn't meant to be that night... FUCK THAT! I drove 60 miles, paid $10, and drank a six pack expecting to play Mega Man 9, and I was going to play Mega Man 9! I pull the computer out as far as possible and elevate it as much as I can, I do the same with the Wii until they could actually touch, and I tell him to download it again! Now I waving the WiFi connector and watching the packets, and coins are coming steadily, I'm yelling at it to work, encouraging it, threatening it, whatever, and it's going, one block down, the coins keep coming, fast and furious, two blocks broken, I start recounting, yelling, the tale of Cortes, how he burned his ships so there was no retreat, and when he and his men were run out of Tenochtitlan, how they spent years cutting forest and rebuilding to counter attack; NEVER GIVE UP! I start pointing the WiFi adaptor in the air as high it can go, as high as I can, like the Statue of Liberty, and the coins come faster still, Mario runs harder, the final block gives way, and IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!!!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

I hear the fanfare music of Rocky playing as you accomplished this feat. Telling the SK boards, "YO SKULLKNIGHT! I DID IT!" :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

That Cortes bit broke me down man. That was a truly Herculean task you accomplished. Their fucking router must have just been shot to shit. Ive never had the Wii give me any problems even in the 4 different houses Ive hooked it up to, wireless and all.

Im still at Wily Stage 3, but I havent played it since launch day (been too busy playing a translated Secret of Mana 2 on my Wii thanks to me hacking it and playing emulators). I have the next 2 days off work, so its on my list of things to accomplish.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

That is quite the accomplishment there Grif! When you said "I can tell you how to handle it" I thought that huge wall of text was a complete walkthrough of Wily's castle. I'm just having a hard time with the level 3 boss. I've been blasting him with every weapon I have and it does crumb damage and he kills me before I can even take him down to half health.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

handsome rakshas said:
That is quite the accomplishment there Grif! When you said "I can tell you how to handle it" I thought that huge wall of text was a complete walkthrough of Wily's castle. I'm just having a hard time with the level 3 boss. I've been blasting him with every weapon I have and it does crumb damage and he kills me before I can even take him down to half health.
Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, shoot the black hole cannon. His weak spot gets thrown as one of those blobs every now and then. That's the time to shoot.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/megaman-9-wilys-castle-3-boss/2275067650

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Walter said:
Dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, dodge, shoot the black hole cannon. His weak spot gets thrown as one of those blobs every now and then. That's the time to shoot.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/megaman-9-wilys-castle-3-boss/2275067650

Nice, thanks for the tip!

Edit: I died on Wily's third form! It's a pain to replay when your p.ball and c. shot are all out. One more E tank and he would've been mine. BITCH!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Haha, that tale of getting Megaman 9 was epic. :guts:

Same as Wally here, my Wii downloads so fast that for smaller games Mario sometimes just goes straight for the last block, ignoring the other two, and hammers it right away to signify that it's complete.

Griffith

handsome rakshas said:
Edit: I died on Wily's third form! It's a pain to replay when your p.ball and c. shot are all out. One more E tank and he would've been mine. BITCH!

Like any, this can be the easiest fight if you set it up right:

Beat the first two forms with M Buster (I know the concrete shot hurts the second form more, but it also leaves you more vulnerable I find, with M Buster it's easy to do without getting hit), then use an M Tank (should have gotten one in Wily level 3) and if you have one, the 1/2 Damage item (with this you won't even need an E Tank, though it doesn't hurt just in case). Now you can just unload on him with everything you've got. Tornado will only do 1 damage each, but also blow all his attacks off the screen, Black Hole Bomb is similarly effective in hurting him some while protecting you, and as you alluded to, P. Ball is most effective in damaging him, but you're going to get hit as well. Hornets are a good choice for when he's out of reach (just make sure you fire when he's on screen charging his attack or they won't get him), and Magma Bazooka is, as usual, effective. Anyway, he was basically a breeze for me because I saved all my bullets for the end and then used them. Hell, I had all that stuff and five E Tanks I didn't need when I first fought him. If you want to play him straight or with M Buster though, it's much more painful.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

I DID IT!
I had one of those games where everything seemed to go just right and I didn't have to use an E.Tank until the third level boss. Nailed 42% of the challenges on my first playthrough. What a fantastic game, if you own a PS3, Xbox, or Wii and you don't have this game you're crazy!

Top Bottom