Mega Man Megathread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mega Man 10

MEGA MAN 10

megaman10.jpg
http://kotaku.com/5422828/mega-man-10-revisits-retro-or-the-rise-of-sheep-man

The latest issue of Nintendo Power outs a second retro installment of Mega Man.
:isidro:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Mega Man 10

Hahaha wow, they're seriously outdoing themselves with these covers. Can't say no to more Mega Man goodness!

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Finally, a sequel to the 2008 game of the year! :ubik:

Here's the direct link to a scan of the NP article, with bigger cover image and SHEEP MAN profile! :carcus:

http://www.nintendopower.com/images/NP250_DLmega.jpg

I'm all for them pumping one of these out every year like the old days. Yeah, the bloom is off the rose when it comes to the nostalgia factor, but the reason that really worked, and why it will keep working, is that Mega Man, of all games, should have never really changed in the first place (see also: Hedgehog, Sonic). If they make 10 more of these before attempting another Mega Man 8/later X series anime abomination, it'll be too soon.

P.S. Already cut out and cleaned up that poster image: http://www.skullknight.net/griffith/megaman10.jpg

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Very nice. It feels like a mix between this Star Wars poster and the classic DooM one to me.

I noticed those little homages as well, particularly the Doom reference (and those Wily skull ships even look like Star Destroyers). :guts:

The only downside is it might actually be TOO genuinely cheesy good rather than so bad it's good. :ganishka:

Same artist as before though.

X

Xem

Is it just me or does the "sheep-man" bot look a tad out of place in that art cover above? Almost like it was copy and pasted on.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Deci said:
Is it just me or does the "sheep-man" bot look a tad out of place in that art cover above? Almost like it was copy and pasted on.
It was. See Griff's subsequent post.

I'm glad Mega Man 9 was successful enough for the tenth to be made; that's one more Capcom game to look forward to, along with Super Street Fighter IV. I don't like what they've done to Resident Evil, but Mega Man and Street Fighter are still kicking ass.

And about the poster image, to be honest the first thing that came to mind was Tron's poster, because of that beam of light.

Griffith

http://www.fanboyreview.net/2009/11/21/are-we-getting-mega-man-10/
http://wii.kombo.com/article.php?artid=15348

After the MM10 announcement and its details, some previously reported suddenly have a lot more credence. The really interesting stuff that hasn't been confirmed is in bold:

Are We Getting Mega Man 10?
by Marc on Nov 21st, 2009 at 8:26pm in Feature, News

A little birdy who tends to give me good game related info has given me one I just couldn’t wait to tell everyone, so feel free to take this as ‘rumor’… for now.

Yes, the Blue Bomber returns.

Here’s some info from my source about Mega Man 10.

It will be WiiWare and keep the 8-bit style. 360 and PS3 seems likely, but I was only outright told WiiWare.
It will have no relation to Mega Man X (just pointing this out, since some people might think they might choose to do that with X equating to 10.)
Both Mega Man and Proto Man are playable (it appears Proto Man will be unlockable, or become available at some point midway through the game.)
There will be DLC to play as Bass. His gameplay will be based on how he played in Mega Man & Bass.

The ’story’ is basically as such: Robots get a virus that makes them sick. Roll catches it, Mega Man has to get Wily’s help to find a cure (Wily claims he has nothing to do with it, but… yeah), and the 8 bosses each hold part of the cure.

And here is the biggy… it will be two players. No idea if story mode will be two people, or if there will be some specialized two player mode though.

And oh yes… it’s far enough along that it is already being translated into English.

More info when I get it (hopefully boss names.)

-Playable Bass *yawn*
-2 FUCKING PLAYER!?

Wow, if they actually deliver a real 2 player co-op Mega Man game, that'd be it for me! I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Eluvei said:
I don't like what they've done to Resident Evil

I like the style of 4 and 5 (and especially enjoyed 4), but what I don't get is that instead of making "classic" Resident Evil games on the side, they're making... rail shooters? Though letting you rail shoot through RE2 is cool, I'd rather get a new old school RE or an RE2 remake in the RE4 style, so Darkside Chronicles is a no man's land for me.

Eluvei said:
And about the poster image, to be honest the first thing that came to mind was Tron's poster, because of that beam of light.

Of course, I can't believe we forgot to mention Tron! It might be the most direct homage, and if you read the artist's comments on his Mega Man 9 image, you can bet he was intentionally looking to those movie/game posters for influence:

Last year I was commissioned to do the cover for Mega Man 9 by Capcom! It was really fun to do, especially the research part. I looked up a lot of BAAAAD 1980's VHS box cover art, as well as the original Mega Man 1 cover for inspiration. It was done all digitally (I had about two weeks to finish this) and I think it turned out pretty neat!

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

The first MM game i played was 9 (although i think i played one for the gamegear once). And i sucked balls at it. Too hard for a noob like me.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
The first MM game i played was 9 (although i think i played one for the gamegear once). And i sucked balls at it. Too hard for a noob like me.

Yeah, 9 is not one to start with, even if you're a Mega Man lifer you have to get your chops up for it. Try Mega Man 2, it's the classic and perfect all-around Mega Man, and the easiest to pick up and play.

A note on 9 though, if you just collect screws you can use them at the shop to buy items that make passing the levels much easier. So even as you're sucking, you're actually gaining a proportional amount of resources to make things easier if need be, while also naturally getting better. I thought that was a pretty clever built in difficulty adjuster.

And here is the biggy… it will be two players.

I wanna see how they do that without making the game too easy, and I hope the screen doesn't get too polluted with so many shots... it's hard to imagine a multiplayer Mega Man, really.

グリフィス said:
I like the style of 4 and 5 (and especially enjoyed 4), but what I don't get is that instead of making "classic" Resident Evil games on the side, they're making... rail shooters? Though letting you rail shoot through RE2 is cool, I'd rather get a new old school RE or an RE2 remake in the RE4 style, so Darkside Chronicles is a no man's land for me.

Yeah, I understand that Resident Evil isn't part of the "games that should have never really changed in the first place" list, but I think they should at least show they remember the old fans by releasing something not so action oriented, and not on rails obviously.

I don't want to derail the thread, but does anyone know if those Mega Man ZX games are good? They sure look like shit!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Eluvei said:
Yeah, I understand that Resident Evil isn't part of the "games that should have never really changed in the first place" list, but I think they should at least show they remember the old fans by releasing something not so action oriented, and not on rails obviously.

Maybe they will. Maybe the next one will go back to a less action-oriented formula. But the old Resident Evil style wouldn't work nowadays, so they'll have to come up with something new. As for rail shooters, well it's simply less expensive for them really... Not that I approve their policy in that regard, but it's not even the same league.

Eluvei said:
I don't want to derail the thread, but does anyone know if those Mega Man ZX games are good? They sure look like shit!

They're pretty good actually.

Mega Man 10 yes, please~

As for Mega Man ZX, I thought they were both great games if you could get past the terrible map system in the first game. I really enjoyed being able to turn into all the different armor sets available in the game. I'd recommend giving them a try if you even remotely liked Mega Man X or Mega Man Zero.

Lots of new info: http://www.themmnetwork.com/2009/12/11/meet-a-robot-master-commando-man/

MM10page41.jpg

Man, that's straight out of NES. :ganishka: Looks a lot like that baby's robot from Captain Commando.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

http://www.capcom-unity.com/megamike/blog/2009/12/13/a_little_rain_cant_stop_mega_man

Capcom was handing out E-Tanks today.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

Walter said:
http://www.capcom-unity.com/megamike/blog/2009/12/13/a_little_rain_cant_stop_mega_man

Capcom was handing out E-Tanks today.

What kind of dorks drive while listening to Mega Man music? Oh that's right...me!

I hate Capcom Unity for missing out on their Mega Man 9 press kits. I'll be trying to snag one for this game for sure.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight

For the hopelessly out of the loop, what are the oldschool platformer style mega man games since 3, and what systems are they available for? Is there a wiki or something that would list that? I'm dangerously close to finishing Castlevania:Ecclesia and I need more good tough 2D action. What's 10 coming out on?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Lithrael said:
For the hopelessly out of the loop, what are the oldschool platformer style mega man games since 3, and what systems are they available for? Is there a wiki or something that would list that? I'm dangerously close to finishing Castlevania:Ecclesia and I need more good tough 2D action. What's 10 coming out on?

Ecclesia isn't what I'd call "tough" compared to old school Mega Man games. :slan:

MM9 is available on WiiWare, X360 Live Arcade and the Playstation Network. MM10 has only been announced on WiiWare so far, but it might be released on the other 2 as well. Old school Castlevania games (CV1, 2, 3, SCIV) and Mega Man games (1, 2, 3) are also available on the Wii's Virtual Console. To get the later ones you'll have to find the "Mega Man Anniversary Collection" that came out several years ago on PS2/GC/Xbox. On the NDS, the Zero series (GBA games) and ZX series might fit your tastes, but I can't guarantee it. Look them up to be sure.

Lithrael

Aazealh said:
Ecclesia isn't what I'd call "tough" compared to old school Mega Man games. :slan:

Well, most of it, no, but the training damn hall was at least as obnoxious as your typical mega man stage (if a lot shorter), and the lv1 cap game seems like a pain in the ass. Or maybe my memory is just going. But I mean a lot of these new games are pushovers.

I'm not saying I want fuckoff hard. I'm just not that good at video games. But I want to get stuck somewhere for a few days going how the FUCK am I supposed to do this?

[quote author=Aazealh]On the NDS, the Zero series (GBA games) and ZX series might fit your tastes, but I can't guarantee it. Look them up to be sure.
[/quote]

Cool, I'll give those a look. No wii for me though, so like you said, hopefully 10 gets on Xbox live arcade.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Lithrael said:
Well, most of it, no, but the training damn hall was at least as obnoxious as your typical mega man stage (if a lot shorter), and the lv1 cap game seems like a pain in the ass. Or maybe my memory is just going. But I mean a lot of these new games are pushovers.

My recommendation when it comes to frustrating games hasn't changed in 20 years: Castlevania on the NES. Other than that, if you had a Wii I'd suggest Kid Chameleon, but I don't think it's available on the XBLA. There's always Symphony of the Night but the game's a piece of cake.

Lithrael said:
Cool, I'll give those a look. No wii for me though, so like you said, hopefully 10 gets on Xbox live arcade.

Have you played Shadow Complex? If not, you should.

Lithrael

Cool, I'll look at Shadow Complex and Cave Story too... and hahaha yeah Aaz, that's the cart I'm filling up my DS's GBA slot with: NES classics Castlevania. Though of course it's awfully unfair of it to have a save feature, instead of forcing you to try to play through the whole thing in one sitting. Other than that it's a pretty damn faithful version and yeah. Fucking medusas. :puck:

Top Bottom