Mega Man Megathread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Mega Man 10

Lithrael said:
Though of course it's awfully unfair of it to have a save feature, instead of forcing you to try to play through the whole thing in one sitting.
Some of the original Castlevania games had a password system that allowed you to play them in sessions. Beating CV1 required you do to it one sitting, which is just insane... Coincidentally, Mega Man and many other platformers of that era, including Metroid, also used password systems.

Which, btw, if you havent played Super Metroid, add that to the TOP of your queue.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Walter said:
Which, btw, if you havent played Super Metroid, add that to the TOP of your queue.

Well I sure as hell hope everyone posting in this section of the forum has played Super Metroid... :azan: However it might not be the case with Metroid: Zero Mission and Metroid Fusion on the GBA. If so, it should be remedied.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

AHEM, this is a Mega Man thread!? You guys can debate your favorite second best game series elsewhere. :iva:

Lithrael said:
For the hopelessly out of the loop, what are the oldschool platformer style mega man games since 3, and what systems are they available for? Is there a wiki or something that would list that? I'm dangerously close to finishing Castlevania:Ecclesia and I need more good tough 2D action. What's 10 coming out on?

To answer your question, here is a list of all the classic Mega Man games and some platforms they're available on:

Mega Man 1 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, WiiWare
Mega Man 2 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, WiiWare
Mega Man 3 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox, WiiWare
Mega Man 4 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Mega Man 5 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Mega Man 6 NES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Mega Man 7 SNES, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Mega Man 8 PSX, Saturn, GameCube, PlayStation 2, Xbox
Mega Man & Bass SNES, GBA
Mega Man 9 WiiWare, XBLA, PSN
Mega Man 10 WiiWare, (TBA) XBLA, PSN

And if you want to get hardcore, Mega Man on gameboy:

Mega Man 1 GB
Mega Man 2 GB
Mega Man 3 GB
Mega Man 4 GB
Mega Man 5 GB

They're actually different from the NES ones and take place between the first 6 on NES, you could say they're 1.5-5.5, and MM5. Anyway, if you're looking for an easy purchase and a challenge, get MM9 off XBLA, or do what Aaz said and find a cheap copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection where you'll get the classic originals, Mega Man 1-8. Also, Mega Man 10 will be out in March 2010.

Speaking of which, again, all you people pushing your pet games in the Mega Man 10 thread...

commandoman.jpg

...Commando Man promises to kill you last.​

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Wow, they really DO look similar! Part of why I love Capcom are their shout outs to previous games.

Griffith

I just ordered Mega Man 1-5 for Game Boy so I could train for Mega Man 10 on the go. :guts:

I sure wish they'd done the GBA anniversary collection like were supposed to.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

グリフィス said:
I just ordered Mega Man 1-5 for Game Boy so I could train for Mega Man 10 on the go. :guts:

I sure wish they'd done the GBA anniversary collection like were supposed to.

I have been playing Mega Man 7 on my SNES. I'll probably get it if it comes to XBLA :guts:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

It's been confirmed in the recent Famitsu magazine that MM10 will be cross-platform, as we all expected.

Here's a scan of the page that breaks the news, which also features a shot of Proto Man as ... a playable character? We'll see.

mm10news.jpg

Source: Kotaku article

First trailer of MM10: http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177365

It teases some of the new bosses.

PS: I'm really digging the music.

Griffith

English version of the trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-gameplay-megaman-10/60095

It doesn't get me like 9's did, but that one was amazing just for what it was introducing, while this just follows that precedent. They're sure pushing easywuss mode to actually include a demo in the trailer, I guess they got some negative feedback on the extra manliness of 9. That's fine though, hopefully it just means they won't hold anything back for hard mode.

Griffith

I don't know, but here's a random thought: it really is almost 20XX! Who, back in 1987, would have thought they'd still be making these same Mega Man games in the actual 200X/20XX time period in which they took place!? It's a little mind boggling when you think about it.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying

グリフィス said:
I don't know, but here's a random thought: it really is almost 20XX! Who, back in 1987, would have thought they'd still be making these same Mega Man games in the actual 200X/20XX time period in which they took place!? It's a little mind boggling when you think about it.
Ah man you're right... we should be watching out for any Dr. Wilys out there. :femto:

Griffith

We're not likely to find such a great man out there today. Think about it, back then those game developers were imagining an advanced future filled with mega men; instead, we've got the exact same Mega Man video game. =)

Griffith

Lithrael said:
I would like to report that I suck complete balls at MM9. :serpico:

Keep at it and collect those screws! :guts:

BTW, official US site is up...

http://megaman.capcom.com/10/

Three new songs, and strangely, numerous graphics by the guy who was working on the unfortunately titled "Mega Man 10" fan game. I was dubious of his claim, but when you do the comparisons, it's pretty undeniable, and apparently Capcom-Unity is in contact with him now:

http://megaphilx.com/?p=81

So, it's either a stunt by this guy (acting surprised), or they indeed "borrowed" the graphics for the US site without asking but are playing nice with him.

UPDATE: here's the cover image for Mega Man 10 including logo (love the MM2 style font):

0c4fa2ea95d857f2bb7872498d9b4f44.jpg

Also, this comment from the artist: "Hopefully I can put the rest of the cover up sometime next year when the game is released! This is actually the center portion of one HUUUUGE cover, but the rest of the cover has spoiler material such as bosses."

Can't wait to see that! And, of course, the dual fx twin engines and parallel hyper-bit interface. :p

Griffith

FINALLY got to play through MM10 the last couple of weekends! I'm sure I'm not going to be saying too much new, but here are my thoughts and experiences as a lifelong mega fan: First, friends and I plowed through it on easy mode, which was... really easy. We literally ran right through it in one sitting while getting wasted. First comments, after beating Wily (awesome Wily Castle exterior BTW), I thought I'd accidentally pushed a button and skipped most of the ending, or that you had to win on normal for the "real" ending, but subsequent playthroughs revealed that there just wasn't much to it. That was a disappointment after the obvious effort that went into MM9's ending and the credits sequence. On that note, like 9, the opening "plot" and all that was way overdone and had no rhythm or pacing to it like the old games. Just compare the plodding opening sequence of this one to, say, Mega Man 5's (unfortunately, it only matched 5's less impressive ending).

Enough of that though, down to important stuff, the gameplay. I love the unforgiving difficulty, it's just as I'd hoped, easy mode really just gave them the freedom to go balls to walls with normal difficulty (and hard, oh baby!). I'm not sure if it's really that much harder than 9, but my friends and I certainly enjoyed the challenge. The exceptions being that with the new power ups like the W tank, and particularly some energy tank locations in Wily's castle, it is possible to just grind your way through without really getting good or properly challenged. This was also somewhat true in 9, but to a lesser degree, it just seemed more balanced. Anyway, I enjoyed it, but I don't think it was nearly the polished effort that 9 was, from the robot masters, their power ups, to the bosses, the castle (except stage 1 with the robot master machines, very cool but under-utilized), music, and everything else, this felt more like Mega Man 4, 5 and 6 than uber-classics like 1, 2 or 3, and subsequently 9. I don't think it's just that 9 was the first of its kind as a retro-fitted Mega Man so it blew us away, they really pulled out all the stops to make everything feel perfect in that one, and here I felt like they just did another one with a few new twists, but overall quality wasn't consistent. Which, was another reason it reminds me more of some of the middling Mega Man games rather than the true classics. Even by that standard it was a bit disappointing because it didn't bring back some of the staples of the later games like two castles, or something truly innovative to the series, like 2 player co-op.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm just bagging on it, but I'm really just splitting hairs. I really did enjoy it, just not as much as 9, which was sort of an event which lived up to the hype. I've still got a lot of playing to do yet where perhaps I'll truly "discover" this one and change my mind, but so far my impression is it feels like, as I said, just another one; certainly not the worst Mega Man, but not going out of its way to be one of the best either.

I downloaded the OST as soon as I found out about it coming out, and I have to say, it doesn't come CLOSE to being decent as far as MegaMan soundtracks go. I was surprised that MM9 had such an amazing soundtrack though, they really pulled out all the stops.

I did play the demo on my PS3 and it seemed pretty fun though, will definitely have to grab it soon.

Griffith

Re: Mega Man

Mega Man Online:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/YnunSRIyqWs[/flash]

Mega Man Universe:

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/0QCjYeuFzBk[/flash]

[flash=480,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/JBLQFg09THs[/flash]

Mega Man Legends 3

http://www.siliconera.com/2010/09/28/mega-man-legends-3-announced-for-nintendo-3ds/

At long last, the best Mega Man series returns (don't argue, you know it is true).

Griffith

Henry Spencer said:
At long last, the best Mega Man series returns series (don't argue, you know it is true).

Inafune thinks so, at least. Seems he'll finally get his wish to continue the Legends series.

Griffith

Looks like we've got a three way debate on our hands! :guts:

dwarfkicker said:
I disagree. Megaman X4 all the way baby! The X series is the best (with the exception of the last 2).
No way! There's a reason they call it "classic" Mega Man and not "old" or just "original"; 'cuz it's da best! :daiba:

Anyway, that's sure a lot of fucking Mega Man on the way, amiright? Some thoughts on each:

The Mega Man Online trailer is about the most serious take on classic Mega Man, without altering the character designs, possible. I don't necessarily like the departure from the original's spirit (Mega Man doesn't exactly equate to Batman), but still, it's neat.

Mega Man Universe is... weird. I don't know if I'll love it or hate it, but right now it looks like a bizarre, and somewhat ugly, graphical mishmash (I hope the same can't be said of the classic-looking gameplay style). It obviously has a sense of humor and self-awareness though, given the dramatic trailer and use of Bad Box Art Mega Man.

As for Mega Man Legends 3, just add it to the already impressive lineup of games coming to the 3DS.

Top Bottom