BOPE and Slums in Brazil

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-QN3HlA5i0&feature=related

I think this vid is self-explanatory;
The situation in Brazil's slums are out of control (for some time by now) and the authorities created the BOPE (Brigade of Police Spec Ops) that basically kills anyone that has a gun or that is running. Its pretty hardcore but... It is almost impossible to deal with this problem, there is so much drug traffic and weapons available that even if the BOPE kills fifty criminals they'll be replaced on the next day. I mean there are waiting lists to join the dealers groups.

I think there are some Brazilian users in the SKnet community, they could explain better.

What's your opinion on the subject?
I already know it ain't ethical.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79cJgvhI3wQ&feature=related

A

avidwriter

Finally. At least they have the right idea. Just shoot these damn people dead. Screw jail, if you do/carry/sell drugs or gun(s) you made your choice and you can and will be shot dead. Good for brazil.

The problem is that a lot of innocents are caught in the way.. The BOPE are ruthless they execute people in the slums, they have a armored car that has two machine guns in the front, it is know as the Caveirão (Big Skull), the units themselves are called skulls, guess why..
Its controversial, i don't disagree entirely but i cant fully agree with it, European mentality i guess..

S

smoke

avidwriter said:
Finally. At least they have the right idea. Just shoot these damn people dead. Screw jail, if you do/carry/sell drugs or gun(s) you made your choice and you can and will be shot dead. Good for brazil.

Frickin' Nazi, man.

You're a fascist.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
SimplyEd said:
My condolences are with the innocents, not with the gangs/drug dealers.

Agreed but even scumbag gangsters and drug dealers deserve a trial, and let's not start this fascist shit again.

Yeah, you talk nice. It's impossible to solve this problem with courts/jail, either way their jails are overpopulated and have riots all the time. Seriously dude its insane.
As i said this ain't the solution, but i can't seem to find anything better.. And no one can't find the right answer..
Ie. My friends uncle got gunned down in Brazil by a 10yr old, the kid was stealing his bike and the man obviously shouted to the boy, and the pulls his gun out and kills the man.. Wtf? What's the solution?
A better educational system? Roftl

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
fuxberg said:
Yeah, you talk nice. It's impossible to solve this problem with courts/jail, either way their jails are overpopulated and have riots all the time. Seriously dude its insane.
As i said this ain't the solution, but i can't seem to find anything better.. And no one can't find the right answer..
Ie. My friends uncle got gunned down in Brazil by a 10yr old, the kid was stealing his bike and the man obviously shouted to the boy, and the pulls his gun out and kills the man.. Wtf? What's the solution?
A better educational system? Roftl

You can't solve crime anywhere with courts/jail it simply doesn't deter everyone, but it doesn't mean take up arms and start killing people, nor does it mean that because it doesn't deter people that its okay to not give them a fair trial, otherwise you may start killing innocent people... oh wait they have.

A

avidwriter

smoke said:
Frickin' Nazi, man.

You're a fascist.

No I don't think so. I just think that you don't deserve to live if you either A) Try to harm or kill yourself willingly. B) Try to harm or kill other people. That is all.

Oburi

All praise Grail
avidwriter said:
No I don't think so. I just think that you don't deserve to live if you either A) Try to harm or kill yourself willingly. B) Try to harm or kill other people. That is all.

You don't deserve to live if you try to harm or kill yourself? wtf? It's your life you can do whatever you want as long as it doesn't effect other people in harmful ways and if you want to do drugs all your life because it makes you feel good then why should you deserve death? It's like people that break the law when they don't wear a helmet while riding a motorcylce in some states. Should they be executed? Some people like to throw caution to the wing and a little risk makes you feel more alive. As for suicide, I can't stand when people say that suicide is a selfish act. Maybe instead of treating suicides like lunatic criminals people should shut up and mind their own business. People who deal out judgement on others so easily withought looking at the individual cases clearly don't grasp the concept of Life. Yea their some fucking Nazis in here eh?

Guts' intestines said:
You can't solve crime anywhere with courts/jail it simply doesn't deter everyone, but it doesn't mean take up arms and start killing people, nor does it mean that because it doesn't deter people that its okay to not give them a fair trial, otherwise you may start killing innocent people... oh wait they have.

Dude, those guys in the slums are insane. Have you ever seen any footage/documentary about it? They have friggin' guerrillas out there. Whats the Government suppose to do? Let them be? Send in Social workers? They burned alive a journalist that was doing a story about a party they have in there...
I'm sorry but i feel no pity for those people. :schierke:

A

avidwriter

I wont quote since I don't want this to get on forever and this will be my last reply. While I tend to agree that doing drugs by yourself is your own business, all too often it becomes other peoples business. Stealing money for more drugs, driving while high or etc, you get the idea. The helmet thing isn't what I meant, if you’re too stupid to put a helmet on, good luck your loss. This is one of those topics that is black and white there is very little gray area and the conversation/argument can go on forever so I'll just end it as I've made my opinion clear and that is what it is.

PS. Maybe some people need to look up what the Nazi's did. This is far from it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
No your rite very black and white and it seems nobody is up for arguing about it (which shows a level of maturity for people who disagree). So I take it back, you guys ain't no nazis. party on!

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Obviously, we all want fair trials and reform, but that's asking far too much. Its frankly impossible. The slums of Brazil are no different than the tribal areas of say Pakistan when it comes to law enforcement. The government has no control over them, and when they start killing pedestrians they have to be stopped. You heard that kid, he either runs or shoots the police, and then he celebrates if he kills. You can't reform that! Definitely not when prisons are over-crowded breeding grounds for gang recruitment and connection making.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Guts' intestines said:
Exactly, Batman would know what to do.

Yeah, i guess the goofy Batman from that 1970s tv show would've simply used his anti-drug dealer spray(tm) on the bad guys. Or maybe he could have drugged them up with one of his own pills and they'd just dance the Batusi until they die of exhaustion..or embarrassment.

There is a movie that came out a couple of years ago from brazil inspired by real events between the 60's and 80's of a photographer that grew up in the favela (a slum) , it's name is "City of God" and it has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen I just checked rottentomatoes and it has a 92 rating.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
ELEKTRO said:
There is a movie that came out a couple of years ago from brazil inspired by real events between the 60's and 80's of a photographer that grew up in the favela (a slum) , it's name is "City of God" and it has to be one of the best movies I have ever seen I just checked rottentomatoes and it has a 92 rating.

I thought City of God took place in Haiti?

ELEKTRO said:
It's an awesome movie and I think you should also check out "Tropa de Elite" :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861739/
It's about BOPE and, well it sort of goes without saying, it's pretty brutal; really good movie, though "Cidade de Deus" was better IMHO.

Top Bottom