Final Fantasy XIII (PS3&XBOX360)

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Well, i guess that most people already know about Square-Enixs' intention to publish their latest entry to the continuously growing FF franchise for the XBOX360 as well. Not that i would mind that at all. Actually, i'll put the decision about my purchase on whether my XBOX360 will RROD until then or not.
I'm a long time fan of the series, though i have to say that part 11 and 12 were rather disappointing for me, since they were basically designed as MMORPG and i don't like that genre at all.
There are other games that i'm looking forward to, of course, but for now there's not exactly a whole bunch of RPGs' for either of the next-gen consoles and there's only a handful of titles that hold my interest for the nearest future.
Also, while i still consider myself a fan of the series, i don't actually think of FF as being a "system seller" any more. Many hardcore RPGamers own various systems anyway these days, so argueing about which system should get any particular title is pretty much moot. Many games are cross-platform anyway.

Of course, that doesn't mean that people would not feel "betrayed" after hearing the news, like the following example illustrates:

http://tiredgamer.ytmnd.com/.

A really touchy subject, it would seem.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I still haven't played all of the Final Fantasy games, but the ones I have played (VII, VIII, IX and X) are some of my favorite games.  I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII and don't mind at all that it'll be available on both PS3 and XBOX 360.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I can live without Final Fantasy 13 but if they were to remake FF4 (2 in the U.S.) on those platforms AND PC with updated graphics and effects... well. That would be a completely different story. :void:

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Rhombaad said:
I still haven't played all of the Final Fantasy games, but the ones I have played (VII, VIII, IX and X) are some of my favorite games. I'm looking forward to Final Fantasy XIII and don't mind at all that it'll be available on both PS3 and XBOX 360.

All of the older titles are still available as either ports to different consoles or remakes, especially for the PSX and the DS, which turned out pretty nice. If anything, i'd urge you to try to play parts 4 and 6. You won't be disapponted!
I can't say anything about the localization of those titles however, since i've only played the old japanese versions.

Many people would argue that FF has become too much of a mainstream gig, but i digress. Every titles has its flaws and merits and as long as the story and gameplay can match up to my humble expectations, i'm fine with each new iteration.

[quote author=SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards]I can live without Final Fantasy 13 but if they were to remake FF4 (2 in the U.S.) on those platforms AND PC with updated graphics and effects... well. That would be a completely different story. Void[/quote]

Yeah, a next-gen remake would be smashin'^^ Though i wouldn't want to count on it, since Squenix already favored the DS for that title.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Of course, that doesn't mean that people would not feel "betrayed" after hearing the news, like the following example illustrates:

Hahaha what the fuck. "Combined with my Aspergers." Yeah right, self-diagnosed I'm sure. It's only a really touchy subject for retards as far as I'm concerned. Sony should actually be grateful that they kept the exclusivity for FF games so long. No one can blame Square-Enix for wanting to make money, it's every company's goal. Honestly outside of the worst fanboys I don't see how anyone could be bothered by this on the consumer side.

Anyway, the first trailer for FFXIII looked awesome to me, but I'll be waiting for reviews before deciding anything. And if I do play it, it'll likely be on X360, so obviously I'm all for the multi-platform release. As for the previous titles, FFXI was a MMORPG and I felt that it was genius to have carried a MMORPG-like, real-time combat system into FFXII. It really saved the series for me because IX and X bored me to death.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
SimplyEd said:

Holy shit...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
I just couldn't even finish watching/hearing that shit. I am a god damn retard once I get on the internet and I don't mind stupid shit but this.. this is just.. fucking retarded in a sad way.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta be fake. There's some genuine nerd in there, but the emotion is just totally over the top.

I can see the pixels.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Hahaha what the fuck. "Combined with my Aspergers." Yeah right, self-diagnosed I'm sure. It's only a really touchy subject for retards as far as I'm concerned. Sony should actually be grateful that they kept the exclusivity for FF games so long. No one can blame Square-Enix for wanting to make money, it's every company's goal. Honestly outside of the worst fanboys I don't see how anyone could be bothered by this on the consumer side.

Anyway, the first trailer for FFXIII looked awesome to me, but I'll be waiting for reviews before deciding anything. And if I do play it, it'll likely be on X360, so obviously I'm all for the multi-platform release. As for the previous titles, FFXI was a MMORPG and I felt that it was genius to have carried a MMORPG-like, real-time combat system into FFXII. It really saved the series for me because IX and X bored me to death.

Oh, Squenix is surely doing the right thing. If anything, it's Sonys' fault for being the arrogant pricks that they still are. Ken Kutaragi, especially, was raving like a madman in recent years, that was really embarrassing. It's not that the PS3 is a bad system, far from it actually, but Sonys' overinflated ego will be the downfall of their future ventures, if they can't keep their second and third party developers in their own boat, to make them exclusive titles. Quite obviously, those titles are the main beef for any console, especially since so many developers are opting for cross-platform releases these days.

So yeah, i'm still undecided on which system i'd likely play FFXIII by then. I mean, i'll eventually end up buying it anyway and unless my BOX dies on me there's really no reason to purchase the PS3 version. Hmm, maybe they'll implement something unique to either version, like Namco did for Soul Calibur IV (Yoda vs. Vader) but i'd rather doubt it. Besides, that stuff would probably end up as DC later on anyway.

About FFXII. The "real-time combat" plus the uninspired, bland storyline were actually my main complaints about that game. It was clearly designed as a pure MMORPG from the beginning and only transformed into a traditional RPG at the very last minute. The whole bundle just screams "half-assed" to me and that's really disappointing. It should've been a true MMORPG and everything would have been fine.
Thankfully it seems that FFXIII is incorporating a more refined blend of turn-based/real time type of gameplay and from what i heard you don't have to grind through millions of cheap MMORPG-style monster mobs any longer. Actually, i'd probably prefer a purely turn-based gameplay type, as long as they get rid of random encounters, that is. I hate random encounters. That's the only gripe i had with Lost Odyssey, as an example for a generally well-made next-gen RPG from the original FF creators no less.

[quote author=SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards]I just couldn't even finish watching/hearing that shit. I am a god damn retard once I get on the internet and I don't mind stupid shit but this.. this is just.. fucking retarded in a sad way.[/quote]

[quote author=Walter]Gotta be fake. There's some genuine nerd in there, but the emotion is just totally over the top.

I can see the pixels.[/quote]

Hmm, you never know, there are strange things happening out there even now.^^ I just hope that guy didn't actually follow up on his suicide comment...because i want to see his reaction when Squenix announces FFXIII coming to the Wii. :ganishka:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
About FFXII. The "real-time combat" plus the uninspired, bland storyline were actually my main complaints about that game. It was clearly designed as a pure MMORPG from the beginning and only transformed into a traditional RPG at the very last minute. The whole bundle just screams "half-assed" to me and that's really disappointing. It should've been a true MMORPG and everything would have been fine.

Hmm, I don't know. I do agree that the storyline sucked badly, but the fighting system itself was totally fine with me. A necessary evolution that stayed true to its roots, basically. I think it could adapt to future games very well. I don't think the MMORPG components were the problem, rather it's the fact the rest of the game aside from the new fighting system was half-assed.

SimplyEd said:
Thankfully it seems that FFXIII is incorporating a more refined blend of turn-based/real time type of gameplay and from what i heard you don't have to grind through millions of cheap MMORPG-style monster mobs any longer.

You didn't need to grind all that much in FFXII, really. And it certainly can't be compared to the ultimate bore that is random encounters as far as I'm concerned. Honestly I've reached my limit with turn-based combat. It's a decade old system that needs to be put to rest.

SimplyEd said:
Actually, i'd probably prefer a purely turn-based gameplay type, as long as they get rid of random encounters, that is.

But the turn-based system really goes hand in hand with random encounters. In my mind one can't be dissociated from the other.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
Hmm, I don't know. I do agree that the storyline sucked badly, but the fighting system itself was totally fine with me. A necessary evolution that stayed true to its roots, basically. I think it could adapt to future games very well. I don't think the MMORPG components were the problem, rather it's the fact the rest of the game aside from the new fighting system was half-assed.

Well, it's true that the general premise of the fighting system wasn't all that bad to begin with, but i thought that its execution was faulty. It seemed utterly boring to me. It was unspectacular and many little details that would have made it much more engaging were brushed under the carpet. Many special attacks, summons and tactics in general were pretty much useless. You only needed to unlock a characters quickening early on and you could defeat pretty much any opponenet till the end with it. It just felt so very unengaging. But that's just me. I'm not against real time combat per se. In fact, one of my most favourite series (Tales of..) always manages to impress me with swift and engaging combat scenarios.

[quote author=Aazealh]
You didn't need to grind all that much in FFXII, really. And it certainly can't be compared to the ultimate bore that is random encounters as far as I'm concerned. Honestly I've reached my limit with turn-based combat. It's a decade old system that needs to be put to rest.[/quote]

That's true, you didn't need to, but in retrospect, the only thing i clearly remember about that game is how i spent horribly long hours mashing up hordes of bland mobs...without much of a drive behind it. Storywise that is. It felt like i stumbled from one coincidence to the next monster grind, without much of a motivation behind it all.

[quote author=Aazealh]
But the turn-based system really goes hand in hand with random encounters. In my mind one can't be dissociated from the other.
[/quote]

Oh, i would like to disagree with that. One of my favourite developers, Gust, dishes out exactly those type of RPGs. Their earlier titles featured something of a semi-random encounter system, were you had a gauge that would decrease every time you had a battle in the respective dungeon. Once it was empty, there would no longer be any encounter with small fry enemies.
Their newer titles, like Mana Khemia 1 and 2 parted with random-based encounters alltogether. In all cases, the battle system would be turn-based with a small influx of real time action here and there. Something like Valkyrie Profile 1 for instance.
In the end, i would like to think that all battle systems can be a whole lot of fun if they are presented in a worthy spotlight.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Many special attacks, summons and tactics in general were pretty much useless. You only needed to unlock a characters quickening early on and you could defeat pretty much any opponenet till the end with it. It just felt so very unengaging. But that's just me. I'm not against real time combat per se. In fact, one of my most favourite series (Tales of..) always manages to impress me with swift and engaging combat scenarios.

I agree that the summons and other such things were rather useless. However once again I think that isn't so much the fault of the new real-time walking and fighting as much as it's a lack of care from the developpers.

SimplyEd said:
That's true, you didn't need to, but in retrospect, the only thing i clearly remember about that game is how i spent horribly long hours mashing up hordes of bland mobs...without much of a drive behind it. Storywise that is. It felt like i stumbled from one coincidence to the next monster grind, without much of a motivation behind it all.

Well to be honest that's kind of the whole Final Fantasy experience for me. Granted, the storyline sucked in XII, but as far as fighting bland monsters again and again goes, pretty much all FFs have had it.

SimplyEd said:
Oh, i would like to disagree with that. One of my favourite developers, Gust, dishes out exactly those type of RPGs. Their earlier titles featured something of a semi-random encounter system, were you had a gauge that would decrease every time you had a battle in the respective dungeon. Once it was empty, there would no longer be any encounter with small fry enemies.
Their newer titles, like Mana Khemia 1 and 2 parted with random-based encounters alltogether. In all cases, the battle system would be turn-based with a small influx of real time action here and there. Something like Valkyrie Profile 1 for instance.
In the end, i would like to think that all battle systems can be a whole lot of fun if they are presented in a worthy spotlight.

That gauge system looks like a good alternative, that's true. But then again, why not have the monsters there physically, now that it's technically possible? That's what FFXII did and I liked that. You walk around and you see the enemies like you would if you were really there. Then as the fight begins, it moves to the classic turn-based fighting. In essence it isn't very different from what you're suggesting here.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Aazealh said:
I agree that the summons and other such things were rather useless. However once again I think that isn't so much the fault of the new real-time walking and fighting as much as it's a lack of care from the developpers.

Oh yes, that's true. And if my memory serves me well, i think Square got a whole lot of negative response for being lazy, at that time. Well, at the very least, it would seem like the new title will be quite beautiful indeed, graphics-wise. If one can believe those very short video spots and the recent feed of HD images (though they do seem to be photochopped^^). Here's the one from yesterday on neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332958 .
The new battle system also looks quite well, but we really haven't seen all that much about it. I still hope they'll reveal more stuff about it soon, because that's were the game will stand or fall for many people out there.
So far, we've got splendid visuals, a rather intriguing battle system( fast and furious,yay!) and nothing much about the storyline.

[quote author=Aazealh]
Well to be honest that's kind of the whole Final Fantasy experience for me. Granted, the storyline sucked in XII, but as far as fighting bland monsters again and again goes, pretty much all FFs have had it.[/quote]

Yeah, plus in FFXII even the boss fights were unspectacular. That's unforgiveable.

[quote author=Aazealh]
That gauge system looks like a good alternative, that's true. But then again, why not have the monsters there physically, now that it's technically possible? That's what FFXII did and I liked that. You walk around and you see the enemies like you would if you were really there. Then as the fight begins, it moves to the classic turn-based fighting. In essence it isn't very different from what you're suggesting here.
[/quote]

Again, very true. That's why i'm glad that we're finally getting away from random encounter alltogether.^^

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
I'm late on this but that was the single most pathetic shit I've ever heard, reminds me of Chris Crocker and the leave Britney alone crap. I seriously think its fake, the guy sounded like he was elderly (so how could he grow up with Final Fantasy?), then that crap about his maturation and coming into manhood through Final Fantasy was just so completely over the top, LMFAO, seriously? Someone that pathetic need not talk of suicide, I'm pretty sure some type of natural selection would've taken out people that idiotic a long time ago.

Aazealh said:
Honestly I've reached my limit with turn-based combat. It's a decade old system that needs to be put to rest.

Truer words have never been spoken of RPGs, personally I've never really loved the idea of turn-based combat. For this very reason the few Final Fantasy's that I've played were less enjoyable than what I knew they could have been. Stuff like turn-based combat imo should be left to strategy games, and even this is sort of a joke because most are RTS, I personally wish that there was some way to perfectly blend action RPGs (such as fable and Mass Effect) with more traditional ones without sacrificing the depth and feel of the traditional style.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
I seriously think its fake, the guy sounded like he was elderly (so how could he grow up with Final Fantasy?)

The guy reading isn't the original poster, that's certain. Now whether the post itself was fake or not... Your call. I know that some people ARE indeed that pathetic, but this could be a parody.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Deci said:
Not XIII, but check out the battle system for this Final Fantasy:

http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/904962/final-fantasy-dissidia/videos/dissidia_battle_082608_2.html

With further research, apparently Final Fantasy: Dissidia is a 20th Anniversary project, and from what I've seen and read it's going to be a fighter, not really an RPG. Wasn't really sure what to think about it, but when I saw that Kuja and Kefka were involved I was nearly tempted to go buy a psp.

Yeah, i've seen a couple of videos for that one already. Looks nice enough, i think. I guess i would have to play it myself before i can cast my vote on that one.
Here's the main portal for the game http://member.square-enix.com/jp/fanzone/dissidia_trailer0806/

There's a pretty nice artwork for the main players of the game and a link that forwards you to the main site.
I'm quite pumped about Artemisia being in it, since she was my fav character from FF8^^ Too bad i had to clobber her up with Squall & his motley gang.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
The guy reading isn't the original poster, that's certain. Now whether the post itself was fake or not... Your call. I know that some people ARE indeed that pathetic, but this could be a parody.

Okay then that explains it, I still don't want to believe a person can be that pathetic... I mean come on.

X

Xem

SimplyEd said:
Yeah, i've seen a couple of videos for that one already. Looks nice enough, i think. I guess i would have to play it myself before i can cast my vote on that one.
Here's the main portal for the game http://member.square-enix.com/jp/fanzone/dissidia_trailer0806/

There's a pretty nice artwork for the main players of the game and a link that forwards you to the main site.
I'm quite pumped about Artemisia being in it, since she was my fav character from FF8^^ Too bad i had to clobber her up with Squall & his motley gang.

The game was announced ~2 years ago, but when it was tested people reported that the game wasn't that good. Apparently square-enix decided to totally revamp it and now it's finally getting to see the light of day. Reminds me a bit how Blizzard is/was with their games, always striving for perfection. Hopefully this means the game will be amazing.

Either way my friend has a psp and he's definitely getting it, so I'll let you know what it's like once I play it. :)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://finalfantasy-xiii.net/2009/01/16/full-v-jump-scans-translated.html

Translated Jump scans showing new concept art and screenshots.

It bears noting that the title was delayed for a US release. Should come out in 2010, but not 2009.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Guts' intestines said:
I seriously think its fake, the guy sounded like he was elderly (so how could he grow up with Final Fantasy?)

People like you prove Walter wrong about that being fake.

Top Bottom