Final Fantasy XIII (PS3&XBOX360)

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
New trailer, shows off some gameplay. Looks pretty awesome, though it's still pretty early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLYnLi6uR4

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
New trailer, shows off some gameplay. Looks pretty awesome, though it's still pretty early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJLYnLi6uR4

Looks good enough for me, at least so far.

Vaxillus

An improvement over 12 at any rate. It looks relatively fast paced and like the player can add some variation into the system. Seems like the player only controls one character, so hopefully the AI will be decent.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vaxillus said:
It looks relatively fast paced and like the player can add some variation into the system. 
Hahaha, come on, let's be realistic. This is Final Fantasy. There's no room for a custom experience  :guts:

Vaxillus

Walter said:
Hahaha, come on, let's be realistic. This is Final Fantasy. There's no room for a custom experience :guts:
I meant there seems to be some variation in the combo system, sorta like Kingdom Hearts crossed up with Devil May Cry. I don't mean that as a compliment, I'm reserving judgement until I can hear some reactions from someone who's actually played it.

Final Fantasy 13 Thread

I got to say since FF 10, I pretty much shut off my interest in FF games. I tried 12 out, and couldn't get into it sadly. But FF 13 is kind of exciting to me I have to admit. I mean FF 7 on the PS was kind of a big jump. FF 10 on PS2 was kind of a jump. So, FF 13, I want to see what the PS3 can do with it. I have to admit, I really want to play the spin off "FF 13 Versus" more so than the core title. After watching a few trailers, I might want to take interest in the collaboration of these games.

I would like to make my point that there have been few games I looked forward to in 2009, it was a lame year in my taste. So looking forward to FF 13 I'm hoping to pull me out of a little slump here.

However, the game does look familiar, wait what am I saying? It looks like a final fantasy. But I mean the cast looks familiar and the tid bits of the story that the trailer lets on come off a little predictable, and I really don't want to 2nd guess the story, the trailer just makes it easy to do that. The battle system, I never know what to think of till I play these type games. I saw some shots and to me I got the impression that it may be "stationary turn based?" But surely they wouldn't go back to that at this point right?

Any how, I assume there are people dead tired of FF's, but I kinda been starved of a good FF adventure the last few years, so I'm wanna see what they can offer with this game, especially its spin offs.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I agree. I'm not exactly blown away by the character designs or anything, but who knows. I'll be happy if I'm "pleasantly surprised" because as you say, I'm starving for good FF adventure.

I don't know if it's because I still didn't get over Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus, but I found it difficult to take these characters seriously on the trailers I saw. They just looked too much like living actors trying to immitate anime characters or something like that. The sceneries look really pretty though, as well as the music I heard.

Oburi said:
I'm starving for good FF adventure.

I think this one has more potential to be a good FF adventure, to be honest. Can't wait to play it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to burst your bubble, but I haven't read many positive things about it from previews. It does some pretty radical things, such as removing the town mechanic completely -- buy items and rest at save points now. Obviously, it'll be competent since it's a high-profile Square game, and it'll have a high production value, but from what I've read, don't expect it to shoot for the moon.

And if it turns out you love it, just remember to thank me later for lowering your expectations :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
I hear ya man. I'm well imformed on so so reviews its been getting. The japanese reviews were much better though. As long as the characters and story are developed well then I should be happy. I just hope the game mechanics arn't so bad that it takes away the from everythin else. I heard the battle system is great though, and I did really love lost odyssey, and I'm sure this will be similar if not better. So yea color me excited!

turkitage

ターク
Walter said:
And if it turns out you love it, just remember to thank me later for lowering your expectations :carcus:

well, I never read reviews because I can never tell till I play a game or watch gameplay etc. But the game looks sooo amazing so I can't believe people negative things about it! Guess we'll see.

I'll be picking up the game at 12 midnight at game stop on March 9th then I scheduled vacation for the rest of the week to play it!!

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Trailer for FFXIII Versus. Now, I was not a fan of the last installment. And I'll reserve judgement on this one. But one thing does bring my interest, is the similar fighting mechanics to the PSP's FFVII Crisis Core. Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the old FF fighting mechanics. But I liked the gameplay.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/27/final-fantasy-versus-xiii-gameplay-trailer

I wasn't really excited but then I saw the trailer and found out who the villain is

1SH7X.jpg

Day one purchase for me!

turkitage

ターク
Thanks for posting this Nomad. This looks awesome. And of course it looks soooooo pretty. The game play seems really fun too. I like both old style and new.

Final Fantasy XIII would have made my "disappointments of all year, every year" list if it wasn't for the fact I called it back on its first trailer for riding the FFVII gravy train. The game was terribad, honestly. Its only because of the tried and true FF battle system (therein forcing me to grind) I found any playability in the damn thing. XIII versus new trailer made me think
"Dad's Minivan: Sasuke edition-featuring Kingdom Hearts". With FFXIV 4.0ing and Square already milking a XIII-2 (...To think I actually had to type that) this series will probably be dead in the water to me, forever more. At least XII was a beautiful swan song despite them trashing most of Matsuno's ideas.

After that, they'll remake FFVII with 80% cutscenes just to make money (or something with a sellout feeling) and Gackt will face model everyone, even Barret and Marleen.

GOTYAY.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Blues said:
Final Fantasy XIII would have made my "disappointments of all year, every year" list if it wasn't for the fact I called it back on its first trailer for riding the FFVII gravy train. The game was terribad, honestly. Its only because of the tried and true FF battle system (therein forcing me to grind) I found any playability in the damn thing. XIII versus new trailer made me think
"Dad's Minivan: Sasuke edition-featuring Kingdom Hearts". With FFXIV 4.0ing and Square already milking a XIII-2 (...To think I actually had to type that) this series will probably be dead in the water to me, forever more. At least XII was a beautiful swan song despite them trashing most of Matsuno's ideas.

After that, they'll remake FFVII with 80% cutscenes just to make money (or something with a sellout feeling) and Gackt will face model everyone, even Barret and Marleen.

GOTYAY.
XVI wasn't actually that bad, although it still needs a lot of work. A lot of people forget or didn't even know that XI was considered shit until about a year after its release which is when it came to NA. Also Versus looks like it'll be good and fun, you have to expect that j-rocker look for the characters these days sadly, but the gameplay and the fact that it has a world map makes me hopeful.

Top Bottom