Games & Music

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Well, i want to dedicate this thread to those who would like to talk about their favourite in-game music. Believe it or not, a games soundtrack does play into my final purchase decision to some degree. Over the years, i have grown rather fond of various developers just because of how they handled a games audio track.

My fav developer in that regard would be "Gust". They've got some really talented people working in their sound department. 2D sprite RPGs may not be everyones cup of tea, but for every game they produce, you can be sure they'll create some really catchy tunes that will never grow boring or will grate on your nerves. Amazingly enough, they incorporate lots of different genres in a single title, ranging from classical works to purely modern, instrumental stuff as well as vocal variations (jpop and jrock).

My current fav would be the Mana Khema 2 soundtrack.

Mana Khemia 1 also had a nice one (that title is already available in the US)

Another recent title that blew me away with fantastic audio performance was tri-Crescendos "Trusty Bell" or "Eternal Sonata". The game features many of Frédéric Chopins' classical compositions, since he's a central figure to the game, as well some of Motoi Sakurabas' finest works (he's mostly known for his compositions for the "Tales of.." series, Star Ocean series and his works on Valkyrie Profile).
It's hard to pick an example for this masterpiece, since every single track is so beautiful. Here's a warning however: Should you look up a few examples on youtube DON'T READ THE COMMENTS unless you really want to get spoiled, in case you haven't played the game yet...which i urge you to do.
Anyway, here's the main battle theme, since you'll probably end up hearing that one quite a lot

Another noteworthy series would be Xenosaga (especially for Yuki Kajiuras work on part 2 and 3, i'm a huge fan of her works). It's a shame they had the series end prematurely after part 3, since it's one of the finest i've ever had the privilege to play. It's a bit hard to really categorize Kajiuras style..it's basically a "love it" or "hate it" thing i would think, with nothing much inbetween. My fav track would be from the KOSMOS vs. T-elos fight on part 3, "Hepatica". It's a more quiet, sorrowful song in contrast to the faster paced, "epic" stuff in the series.

Okay, that's probably good enough for a start, i can't possibly list every single game/title right now. Still, i hope that some of you might want to share your thoughts about good gaming soundtracks.

Cheers!^^

Oburi

All praise Grail
Very interesting. I was just talking to a friend about how the music in some games is so epic and beautiful it rivals most films. Sometimes we don't appreciate just how much production goes into games. I mean they need to write and compose that shit.

I recently played Viking: Battle for Asgard with a friend and the music that played during the major battles was so epic. It was like Lord of The Rings music or something. Maybe better.

Eternal Sonata had some great music in it. I can't express the emotions that game managed to get out of me simply because the music was just too beautiful. It also turned me on to one of my now favorite composers, Fredrick Francis Chopin.

Just off the top of my head, some music that sticks out would Devil May Cry 4's main theme. Very pumped up techno type stuff that really gets my blood going. Even the slow songs in that game, which were Japanese love ballads, were very catchy and easy to get into. Very nice.

And I'm just going to throw every song from every Dynasty Warriors game in here. The music from those games always impressed me. If you haven't played them then imagine Avenged Sevenfold doing the soundtrack to a historical Chinese fighting game withought lyrics. Dynasty Warriors just rocked the house. And theres like 30 + tracks on every game, maybe more. Thats a lot of riffs... seriously.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I agree that game music is a vital element to its success, and even beyond that, what helps a title survive and enter legendary status in people's minds. Imagine Zelda without a memorable theme song.

As for full compositions, or a full body of work, Final Fantasy VI probably takes the cake for me. Next to that, I really like what Michiru Yamane brought to Castlevania with Symphony of the Night and finally, the most memorable soundtrack in recent memory to me is Ko Otami's Shadow of the Colossus.

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Yeah, those titles that both of you mentioned surely are very nice to listen to (i didn't have a chance to play Viking: Battle for Asgard yet though). About SotC, truly, that title is a one of a kind package in every regard.

Final Fantasy, as a whole, is mostly a surefire way to acquire some really impressive, memorable compositions. FFVI is a very good choice, especially for the very emotional "Tinas/Terras Theme". On this notion, i would also like to point towards FFIV Celtic Moon. A very amazing arrangement by Nobuo Uematsu and probably my most favourite of the whole series. The original version is already quite perfect in every sense of the word, but there are also some nice interpretations for FFIVs DS release, spiced up with some very intriguing vocal pieces, especially for "Tsuki no Akari".
Of course, let's not forget some of the more well known pieces from FFVII and FFVIII like the larger than life "One-Winged Angel" or "Liberi Fatali". Those two are truly mesmerizing when you hear them played by a full orchestra.

Another very fascinating piece of work was done for "Suikoden 2". Everything about that game just screams "epic", and so does its soundtrack.
This is definitely a game that every serious RPGamer should have played at least once in his/her lifetime, trust me on this one.^^

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Well I went with FFVI in particular because the later games' compositions, as a full body of work, are extremely hit or miss. There are some bright shining patches, and then you get three full variations on the fucking Chocobo theme. But let's move on. I could talk about Square's music for years.

One of the problems I've noticed is there's a tendency to relegate game music achievement to RPGs, simply by the scope of their music. But there's really a lot of diverse composers out there, and it's really frustrating the genre doesn't get more attention.

My wife's brother is a pretty well accomplished organist, and total high-class snob when it comes to music. In the car one day while driving around with him, I had Symphony of the Night playing, and he asked what it was, sounding a little interested. I told him it was from a video game and he made this :schierke: face. I said: "Don't underestimate video game music. It's really come a long way." "I already have," he said. Ugh, I'll never forget that infuriating exchange... It's like people who change the radio station on principle if a rap song is on.

Walter said:
Ko Otami's Shadow of the Colossus.

Def. Not a week goes by I don't listen to at least one track. Seriously. Beautiful stuff.

I won't lie, I'm an MGS soundtrack fanatic. They're all so good. It's sick. I have all my ringtones for people on my iPhone set to MGS tracks. Sick I tell you, sick.

Reident Evil 2 is a good soundtrack. At least I dig it.

Devil May Cry 1 I enjoy 'til this day.

What else? I'm scratchin' my head now...

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Walter said:
Well I went with FFVI in particular because the later games' compositions, as a full body of work, are extremely hit or miss. There are some bright shining patches, and then you get three full variations on the fucking Chocobo theme. But let's move on. I could talk about Square's music for years.

One of the problems I've noticed is there's a tendency to relegate game music achievement to RPGs, simply by the scope of their music. But there's really a lot of diverse composers out there, and it's really frustrating the genre doesn't get more attention.

My wife's brother is a pretty well accomplished organist, and total high-class snob when it comes to music. In the car one day while driving around with him, I had Symphony of the Night playing, and he asked what it was, sounding a little interested. I told him it was from a video game and he made this :schierke: face. I said: "Don't underestimate video game music. It's really come a long way." "I already have," he said. Ugh, I'll never forget that infuriating exchange... It's like people who change the radio station on principle if a rap song is on.

Well, if a well accomplished musician, even with lots of credentials, thinks that video game music is beneath him, just because it's music that was composed for games, then i have to say that he's probably a blockhead. Sorry for the harsh comment but seriously, the people who create that music put just as much enthusiasm and hard work into their projects as any other guy in that business. Besides, i consider myself to be rather picky with what i listen to and more often than not i find myself enjoying a certain tune from a random video game much more than whole compilations of songs from so called "respectable musicians".

Oh and i should have Castlevania SotN somewhere hidden in treasure stash. It has been some time since i last played it..maybe i should dig it up again.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SimplyEd said:
Besides, i consider myself to be rather picky with what i listen to and more often than not i find myself enjoying a certain tune from a random video game much more than whole compilations of songs from so called "respectable musicians".
Ditto. But it's a slippery slope to compare these genres, because in general, video game music is supposed to serve a function - to enhance the scene and the mood in a game. Other forms of music are generally about expression or just to make money :guts:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
Ditto. But it's a slippery slope to compare these genres, because in general, video game music is supposed to serve a function - to enhance the scene and the mood in a game. Other forms of music are generally about expression or just to make money :guts:

To build on that, video game music can become more enjoyable because they are so strongly tied to a particular scene/experience/emotion.

My favorite game soundtrack is actually from Super Mario RPG, and off the top of my head I also really like the Mega Man 2 soundtrack and rainbow road from Super Mario Kart.

Oburi

All praise Grail
SimplyEd said:
Another very fascinating piece of work was done for "Suikoden 2". Everything about that game just screams "epic", and so does its soundtrack.
This is definitely a game that every serious RPGamer should have played at least once in his/her lifetime, trust me on this one.
Totally. you couldn't be more correct. That game is so epic and the music is filled with so much passion. Me an my friend actually learned many of the songs on the acoustic guitar and play them together. They sound so beautiful that people are so surprised to hear that it's from a game. They think it's like some classic score by some famous composer lol.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
While I disagree with your choice in Silent Hill games SimplyEd I can't fault your taste in music. And Shadow of the Colossus was just epic in every regard.

I've been a big fan of the Shin Megami Tensei series' sountracks. They're more in the techno-rock genre, but that's what floats my boat. Besides, there's nothing like starting out an RPG and being slammed in the face with an electric guitar during your first battle. Some samples:

SMT3 Nocturne: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQhgTN7bNH8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKZq9xrY0XQ&feature=related
Digital Devil Saga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3w1HcnIts0

The persona series is a lot more modern, and does a great job of taking on a more jazzy, pop, hip-hop sound that apparently pissed off half the douches on the Atlus forum and I found to be increadibly catchy.
Persona 3 FES: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjDGl0-quD8

If you're into Square's take on classical, you might check out the Drakengard series. The first one is very experimental, the composers basically composed it out of a bunch of short sound clips as though it were techno, but when you play it with the game's apocalyptic storyline, you really feel like the world's about to end and everyone is completely insane. The second one is a bit better for easy listening, but then again the game's atmosphere was nothing close to that of the original.
Drakengard 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9XxCYV6lEU
Drakengard 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GwtdvaEmI

Lastly, while the game wasn't exactly popular, I'd at least recomend the Baroque soundtrack if you like industrial/goth rock. Wish I could find the soundtrack for the original Dreamcast game, it had more in that theme.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH__nYIKUX4

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
I agree that game music is a vital element to its success, and even beyond that, what helps a title survive and enter legendary status in people's minds. Imagine Zelda without a memorable theme song.

It goes both ways too, good or bad, nobody would care about the Zelda theme song like they do, and especially Mario, if the games sucked. You don't hear too much about great soundtracks from awful games, especially old ones.

Walter said:

That's too bad. How old is he? Sounds kind of out of touch. You should have shamed him six ways from Sunday for that sort of arbitrary judgment.

"Yeah, these are real bad musicians who make their living getting paid for composing." :badbone:

Of course, if he makes his living as a pro organist, I guess he could give a fuck and judge on. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I won't lie, I'm an MGS soundtrack fanatic. They're all so good. It's sick. I have all my ringtones for people on my iPhone set to MGS tracks. Sick I tell you, sick.

To me there's some good and less good in it. I do love some of tracks though.

Proj2501 said:
Reident Evil 2 is a good soundtrack. At least I dig it.

Same here, but as far as RE goes I'd say the first one. The mansion music is pure genius.

Proj2501 said:
What else? I'm scratchin' my head now...

Well for more fiery music I dig God of War's theme, and more recently the boss fighting music in Age of Conan is pretty epic in its own regard. Fires you up nicely. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned simpler or more classic tunes, like coming from NES games. The Mario theme for example is melodic genius as far as I am concerned. Very effective, so much that I'm sure all of us could hum or whistle it anytime of the day without effort. I know I myself am hearing SMB2 music in my head just because I'm writing this. Same goes for games like the early Castlevania titles, Metroid, Megaman, Sonic, etc. I had typed my post out before Griff's post so I'm adding this line just to say that I agree with his idea that the games' success did a lot for their tunes, but I do think they have qualities of their own that contributed to the games' success. And I still love Space Harrier 2's theme while I don't really like the game itself. :void: Anyway, to push this idea a bit more, I do think that some more recent and orchestral game music (especially from RPGs) also has sentimental value for a lot of players, and that it can cloud their judgment at times, see my last paragraph.

As for more recent compositions that are closer to actual music, honestly there are a lot. Hell March from Red Alert, the themes from the Phoenix Wright games, the Diablo OSTs (the Tristram theme in Diablo is incredible), Silent Hill 1's opening, etc.

Walter said:

Well to be honest, as much as I love SOTN's OST for example, it just doesn't compare to the great composers of the past. It's good music for sure, but some people tend to give it (video game music) maybe a little too much credit when they're fans, not too differently from how non-fans can snob it without a proper reason. It goes both ways. I mean I've heard people telling me that FFVII's One Winged Angel was an unequalled masterpiece, and well, it's just not the case. It's a nice track and I like it a lot, but still.

Just to add on to the discussion, there is quite a growing community over at ocremix.org, which deals with videogame music remixes.
So if game music is your thing, you might want to check the site out.

As for this thread, I am surprised nobody mentioned Chrono Trigger or Xenogears :isidro:

I really think Yasunori Mitsuda is a great composer and deserves special mention! Some of the tunes he did for CT/Xenogears are really memorable for me. I particularly enjoy the sad theme from CT. I am pretty sure alot of you guys who played CT know what I mean :carcus:

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Well to be honest, as much as I love SOTN's OST for example, it just doesn't compare to the great composers of the past. It's good music for sure, but some people tend to give it (video game music) maybe a little too much credit when they're fans, not too differently from how non-fans can snob it without a proper reason. It goes both ways. I mean I've heard people telling me that FFVII's One Winged Angel was an unequalled masterpiece, and well, it's just not the case. It's a nice track and I like it a lot, but still.

Exactly what I mean with how it's hard to differentiate the quality of the music from the quality of the game. Would the Zelda theme still be the Zelda theme if it wasn't the Zelda theme? =)

zrexe said:
Just to add on to the discussion, there is quite a growing community over at ocremix.org, which deals with videogame music remixes.
So if game music is your thing, you might want to check the site out.

In the year two thousand.... In the year TWO THOUSAAAANND!

Love OC ReMix, especially their album projects, but I love Dwelling of Duels even more. http://dod.vgmix.com/

Griffith No More! said:
Love OC ReMix, especially their album projects, but I love Dwelling of Duels even more. http://dod.vgmix.com/

Clicked on a random link and already liked what I am hearing. Will definitely check more of them out when I can spare the time.

Griffith

zrexe said:
Clicked on a random link and already liked what I am hearing. Will definitely check more of them out when I can spare the time.

Yeah, if you like the more rock/guitar oriented stuff at OC ReMix (much of the best of which originated from Dwelling of Duels), then DoD is for you. You might even find a couple of tracks featuring contributions by SK.net admins! =)

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
Oburi said:
Totally. you couldn't be more correct. That game is so epic and the music is filled with so much passion. Me an my friend actually learned many of the songs on the acoustic guitar and play them together. They sound so beautiful that people are so surprised to hear that it's from a game. They think it's like some classic score by some famous composer lol.

Wow, that sounds cool. You wouldn't, by chance, have a record of that? I would like to hear your interpretations for sure! Which tracks did you favour? "Reminiscence" is quite suited for a guitar, as well as maybe "Imprisoned Town" (that one's great). Hmm, Two Rivers also had some guitar work in it, if i remember that one right. Or maybe something from the fight with Luca Blight.
I have seen a couple of music students at my university play some of those sounds fluidly on a piano. To tell you the truth, they were shocked when i asked them whether they seem to be Suikoden 2 fans.^^ I guess they didn't expect anyone to recognize these tunes.

[quote author=Vaxillus]While I disagree with your choice in Silent Hill games SimplyEd I can't fault your taste in music.[/quote]

Hehe^^'

About SMT DDS. I actually enjoyed the tracks from part 2 much more than those from the first one. Especially the main battle theme is soooo addictive. I'm always humming along to that one. Add to that that they increased the overall speed for the battles, its just so much fun.

Persona 3 often ends up as a mixed bag for lots of people. I liked it very much, even though some of the vocal stuff was just silly..but in a funny way^^
For some reason i really enjoyed that french song..you know, when it's summer time in school (or was that fall time?). I've also grown fond of the Velvet Room theme (because you spend so much time in there) and the one which is played during the last confrontation.

Baroque sure is nice. Whenever i hear that one i instantly think that it could fit perfectly into VtM:Bloodlines^^ Cool stuff!

[quote author=m]I was just thinking that. I also like the Chrono Cross soundtrack quite a lot.[/quote]

Yeah, Chrono Trigger/Cross are surely among the more ambitious and playful works from Yasunori Mitsuda, together with what he did for titles like Xenogears and Xenosaga Episode 1. A lot of celtic and oriental stuff can be found in Cross, especially in the wonderful OP "Time's Scar". That title alone makes the OST worthy to buy.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Anyone remember Shinobi for the ps2? Great music there, really under appreciated game.

There's always Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles for the Genesis.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Hmm music from games... almost the only thing I listen to now aside from anime music. I'd have to say my favorite soundtracks are Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy VI, Mother 2/3, and the Phoenix Wright soundtracks. The Silent Hill osts are amazing as well. My favorite individual songs are Dancing Mad(if you say One Winged Angel is better, then you haven't played FFVI), Theme of Laura, and Lost Child of Time.
Dancing Mad stands above the rest though, I don't think I'll ever get tired of listening to it. I love the way that Kefka's theme is used in the song, where you can almost not even notice it. Man, I could go on for days about my favorite video game music and remixes.
Edit: CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT Godot's theme

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Darklink286 said:
The Silent Hill osts are amazing as well.

I've had Theme of Laura as my cell ringtone for a while and never want to change it. I would have to say my favorite Silent Hill track is Wounded Warsong from Silent Hill 4, though I find many of the vocal tracks from the newer Silent Hill games to be very good (O.R.T. from Silent Hill Origins) I'm going to make a predictable statement and say that the Castlevania games have the best soundtracks in my opinion but I love many others. Silent Hill, Resident Evil, (I love the soundtrack for RE3) Metal Gear Solid, Zone of the Enders 2 (LOVE Bahram Battleship) and Shadow of the Colossus amongst many others. I actually caught my friend weeping during the fight with the flying sand dragon in SotC. But for me the pinnacle of videogame music will always be...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfjqiKQmBBc

Oh and also this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcewDDeofI0&feature=related

I have to agree with Shadow of the Colossus. But for the most part, newer game soundtracks are too much like movie OSTs, and when I think about videogame music, I think about 4 or 5 channel pulse wave spewing, glitchy noise drum rattling, triangle bassline gutting 8 bit music.
So on that note, of COURSE Megaman, especially 2 and 3, and not surprisingly 9, which had a great dose of oldschool flavor throughout the OST. Also, I love the music in Mother, Zelda II, Dr. Mario, anything with music by Rob Hubbard, and just recently I've been listening to a lot of music from Sonic the Hedgehog, my favorites being from 3 and Sonic and Knuckles.

Top Bottom