Batman: Arkham City

Batman Arkham Asylum 2 Announced: Arkham Has Moved

http://www.huliq.com/8059/89620/batman-arkham-asylum-2-announced-arkham-has-moved

there's a link to the teaser trailer for it that's in BAD quality. Excited as hell but wish it was in gotham....

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Better quality trailer: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/batman-arkham-spike-tv/59828

As I thought, it does take place in Gotham, not Arkham again. But the joke is that the whole city is now a big asylum, since it's bedlam inside it.

Also:
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3177320

Senior gameplay programmer Paul Denning, and his comments shed a little more light on the game. "I think you're probably right in that [Arkham Asylum]'s almost run its course," he said. "Gotham itself is a fantastically realised fictional city and there are so many places that would be probably ideal for gameplay and great to explore."

gi2_1281017610.jpg

Gi_1281017354.jpg

Aw yeaaah.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Can't wait for this. :guts: The first one was so much fun. Imagine exploring the whole city now!

Oburi said:
Can't wait for this. :guts: The first one was so much fun. Imagine exploring the whole city now!

It's just a sectioned off area of the city, so while it's gonna be more area than we got in the first game, we still won't have the whole city to play around in.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I only recently played the first one and thoroughly enjoyed it, here's the new gameplay trailer for Arkham City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-V1ZF5cNYCs

I think Quentin Tarantino guest-directed it or something. :troll:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
frankencowx said:
Hmm... worth it? Didn't see the movie but heard it was poogas.. I know theres a lot of different pre sale skins for Arkham City, but I don't know where you have to go to get them. Anyone have details? Thanks.
How about you just boycott it and send them a message to cram this awful preorder shit right up their asses?

Walter said:
How about you just boycott it and send them a message to cram this awful preorder shit right up their asses?

Haha roger that. It is rather annoying. After doing some digging I found some post Arkham City release dates for DLC, sounded legit: Dec 6 for Arkkham City Skins Pack at 4.99, and Nov 22 for Challenge DLC at 6.99..

Wish I could get Batman Beyond skin at lunch but I think its limited to UK only :(

X

Xem

frankencowx said:
Haha roger that. It is rather annoying. After doing some digging I found some post Arkham City release dates for DLC, sounded legit: Dec 6 for Arkkham City Skins Pack at 4.99, and Nov 22 for Challenge DLC at 6.99..

Wish I could get Batman Beyond skin at lunch but I think its limited to UK only :(

Since Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller's) skin is available I didn't think any other skin was necessary, which I believe is available with the Collector's Edition, but it may be available elsewhere too.

Walter said:

That is exactly what it is, Walter. Awful preorder shit. As if GameStop could not possibly gain any more haterade with me. Be it incredibly, incredibly poor, bordering "thievery" trade-in values, or cracking open brand new games that we've bought and paid for to "remove" content placed inside for the simple fact that they do not profit from the attachments inside Ă  la Deus Ex(see: https://www.facebook.com/GameStop/posts/265879190098681). Personally, I have my own reasons for hating GameStop. But it shouldn't be too hard to guess why. Take your pick of any of their "renowned" customer service ratings, or any one of their douchebag-aimed preorder commercials geared to psyche you up! Sorry, but these have all rubbed me the wrong way so far. The Halo: Reach one comes to mind.

Playing the game as McGinnis' Batman, or Bruce Wayne even as Batman of the Future (since he first wore the suit) is something to be excited about. Only the imagination limits you there. Frank Miller Batman is something to be excited about. 70s blue-cape Batman (hope I don't offend anyone in my ignorance of this one, it's just what me and my friend have been calling him) is even something to get excited about. Those are three awesome skins that I can safely say I would play hours and hours in. So thank goodness for this DLC pack coming out if it's true. And I apologize for the rant, everyone. I'm just so easily miffed that the UK get the "good" bonus, and GameStop's commercial has the gall to try and amp us up for a fucking "challenge" map.

Deci said:
Since Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller's) skin is available I didn't think any other skin was necessary, which I believe is available with the Collector's Edition, but it may be available elsewhere too.

IMO the Dark Knight Returns skin looks too similar to the standard Arkham City skin. Kind of a let down.

Oburi

All praise Grail
While I do think all the preorder shit is bull, I'm still very excited. Only one week left :guts:. I don't really care too much about skins or even challenge maps as I'll only be playing the campaign. I like the default outfit a lot anyway. But I can see why people are upset.

I know the main campaign will be great though.

Handmade_lion said:
No doubts there, Oburi. Every trailer so far has been so incredible to me. Loved the Mr. Freeze trailer.

Mr. Freeze trailer is quite bangin. Heads up to anyone that hasn't preordered, if theres a K-mart near you and you are a shop-your-way rewards member, buying arkham city from Kmart nets you a 30 dollar kmart credit good towards other games, and a (rumored) free arkham city t-shirt. K-mart doesn't preorder, you just walk in on day one and buy the game to get the deal.

A few days ago I managed to find one video showcasing one of the alternate skins for Arkham City, if anyone is interested.

Click here for 1970s Batsuit

I've been hunting like mad for footage of the Batman Beyond skin. There is not a scrap of it, not a drainable drop anywhere on the internet. This is frustrating, since I am dying to know how his cape/glider wings are going to be.

The uploader of the video above will say in the comments that you cannot play the game's campaign with the alternate Batman costumes. I am here to put the troubled minds of fans to this series at ease.

Batman Arkham City- Skin A Bat Interview

The Rocksteady dev here says that, upon completion of the regular campaign, you will be able to play back through in the Batman skins. So good news, and an interesting situation posed to players wanting to take Batman of the Future out on their maiden crime-busting adventure. For now I am thinking about USBing my friend's save file over to my PS3 after he's completed the game. I'll have to negotiate that out with him. Should leave him plenty of time to beat the game, since the alleged skins pack doesn't come out until November. :guts:

tbh I am quite disappointed in the latest Batman games. Sure they are a lot better than what we had before but looking at the gameplay videos i'm not very intrigued.

Everything is too bright lit, I had imagined hard dark shadows would play a bigger role and set the mood

The "city" is also disappointing, instead of having a thriving dark city with civilians its basicly just a bigger Asylum

I had hoped you could travel to the batcave whenever you felt like and examine evidence, talk to alfred etc.. Play as Bruce wayne, walk around in the city

Most of the enemies are the same bland bunch, I had hoped for something more here, petty thieves, gangsters and what not, basically more like in the cartoon and movies

It's just following the template not deviating from the last game and it's a major shame since it could have been so much more

Just watching the in-game teaser for the Amazing Spiderman made me much more hyped, sure it might suck buSt if your gonna make a uperhero game where the superhero is devoted to protect the city then give the gamers the city and make a compelling/interesting world

asic said:
tbh I am quite disappointed in the latest Batman games. Sure they are a lot better than what we had before but looking at the gameplay videos i'm not very intrigued.

Everything is too bright lit, I had imagined hard dark shadows would play a bigger role and set the mood

The "city" is also disappointing, instead of having a thriving dark city with civilians its basicly just a bigger Asylum

I had hoped you could travel to the batcave whenever you felt like and examine evidence, talk to alfred etc.. Play as Bruce wayne, walk around in the city

Most of the enemies are the same bland bunch, I had hoped for something more here, petty thieves, gangsters and what not, basically more like in the cartoon and movies

It's just following the template not deviating from the last game and it's a major shame since it could have been so much more

Just watching the in-game teaser for the Amazing Spiderman made me much more hyped, sure it might suck buSt if your gonna make a uperhero game where the superhero is devoted to protect the city then give the gamers the city and make a compelling/interesting world

I don't know about bright, every video on youtube I've watched seems plenty dark. There are no civilians because there aren't supposed to be. See premise of the game for more details. And there was plenty of bat-caveness going on in the first game, don't see why it will be absent here, can't say for sure though as I have not played it.

frankencowx said:
I don't know about bright, every video on youtube I've watched seems plenty dark. There are no civilians because there aren't supposed to be. See premise of the game for more details. And there was plenty of bat-caveness going on in the first game, don't see why it will be absent here, can't say for sure though as I have not played it.

Aye, I know it's not what they went for but that's what I wanted all along from a Batman game. I guess I just have too high expectations

Sounds a bit weird but it feels so "gamie" (not sure how to explain) For instance when I played HL1 for the first time I didnt feel like I was playing a game, I was Gordon Freeman and it was an experience (a journey). Same with Red Dead Redemption and GTA, anyways I'll shut up now since I am probably alone on this hehe :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
asic said:
I understand what you are saying, but those gameplay videos are not a very good example of the overall experience. I would at least play the game before saying too much. Of course I myself haven't played it yet either.

The game is dark. Both figuratively and literally. Again maybe you just have to play it but they have really succeeded in setting the mood of a dark Batman game.

The "city" is also disappointing, instead of having a thriving dark city with civilians its basically just a bigger Asylum. I had hoped you could travel to the batcave whenever you felt like and examine evidence, talk to alfred etc.. Play as Bruce wayne, walk around in the city

Honestly dude that sounds more generic and "gamie" than what we got. I for one am glad they didn't throw in pedestrians and such. It's refreshing at this point.

Well what movies are you talking about? This game is much more a sequel in spirit to the animated series than anything else (fans will enjoy the returning VA's :guts:). Also he's Batman, he fights crime and crime bosses (and there are a ton of them in this game). I don't really think changing that would benefit anybody.
Not to mention the Catwomen tie-ins will be changing it up a bit.

i've played all the past Spiderman games too and while I do think they are far better than most people give them credit for they don't compare very well to the new Arkham games. Gamelplay, graphics, mood...whatever. And the new one looks like a joke. The futuristic time travel thing? yea no.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
asic said:
Sounds a bit weird but it feels so "gamie" (not sure how to explain) For instance when I played HL1 for the first time I didnt feel like I was playing a game, I was Gordon Freeman and it was an experience (a journey). Same with Red Dead Redemption and GTA

Not surprising since you're basically asking for GTA: Gotham City, but those sandbox games get tired as well, and sooner or later their "gaminess" (I know exactly what you mean) also shows through. The important thing about Arkham Asylum is that it was actually a good game, in no small part because of how deliberately it's organized. You might find it too restrictive, but that's also what keeps it streamlined and focused on what makes it fun. So, I'd rather they error on the side of that formula, particularly since this is a direct sequel to that game, than try to do something grander and end up making a complete mess like most superhero games. Anyway, leave the Batman sandbox game for another time, and don't penalize Arkham City for not being it.

Top Bottom