Things that scared you as a kid

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Hi everyone!

Since it’s so nigh to that Halloween time I figured we should post about things that use to scare the crap out of us as kids.

My evil basement.
myevilbasement.jpg

When I was a little kid [somewhere around 7 to 9] I would refuse to go into my basement. Walking across the doorway would send a shiver down my spine. The place was haunted by the most evil monsters known to man from Frankenstein to a werewolf. On occasion my mom would send me down there on important missions to get something from the basement fridge. Walking down there would be one of the scariest things I ever had to do at that age, monster screams coming from every direction, evil monster eyes following you around. Hell the place looked like Buffalo Bill's basement [excluding bathtubs full of person]! Eventually I learned the monsters down there were even more scared of my German shepherd, Christy, who once battled the wolf man [jacket], killing him in self defense! Eventually we started using that wretched basement for other things and it became less spooky throughout the years until it was no longer scary.

So what spooked you as a youth?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
THIS FUCKING MOVIE: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089789/
trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Cm4Cy3rxs
portion of movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPcKyc_efNk&NR=1

I swear this movie like, ruined me when I saw it. I think it was just too chaotic for my sheltered, confused childhood world. It's just fucking weird, OK?

It's described as a comedy adventure, which must be 1985 code for nightmare-inducing hair-growth movie. As a 5 year old, it was terrifying... WHY DOESN'T HE HAVE HAIR?! WAIT, WHY IS HIS HAIR GROWING?! WHY... WHY ARE THEY GIVING HIM PEANUT BUTTER?! WHAT.... WHAAAAAATTT?!!??!

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
deathbybears said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH6fokAYjMQ&feature=related

When you're 6 and it's raining, the above link is terrifying.

The scariest thing about that are the production values.

When I was younger I had two fears: 1. Somebody breaking into my home and killing me while I slept (watched a lot of America's Most Wanted, probably needed psychiatric help, too.) 2. the whited out eyes of old dead fish, not so much fear as repulsion though, would never touch one that had those friggen eyes.

X

Xem

My grandmother's play room, which happened to be WAY too huge, with little to nothing in it except a really demented picture of a clown that was hand-sewn. It was down a long, LONG hallway with a bar attached and a very creepy bedroom that my aunt lived in (everything was left like it was in the 1960's... little child's dolls and all).

I actually used to sleep in the playroom (it had a bed in it for some reason) just to try to overcome my fears, but I would NEVER open my eyes while doing so. The antique golf clubs in the corner looked liked a person when the moonlight hit them at night. The best part, however, was the intercom connected to the room to the kitchen... nothin' like gramps randomly chiming in at some godawful time in the morning for a wake-up call.

Shit's haunted, I swear.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm well I can't really remember anything that I was particularly afraid of, but at some point I was somehow anguished about the idea of falling from a very very high bridge into an infinitely large body of water for some reason. This image doesn't do my mind's vision justice, but anyway:

141958961_96f7f61a28.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
As a 5 year old, it was terrifying...

Augh I hated those movies growing up. The last thing anyone at that age needed to see was something that made them know they will have to deal with baldness in the near future.

Guts' intestines said:
When I was younger I had two fears: 1. Somebody breaking into my home and killing me while I slept (watched a lot of America's Most Wanted, probably needed psychiatric help, too.)

I had that same fear also. Every Christmas Eve my sister would rush into my room to tell me someone broke in the house and that we had hide from them. So my sister would rush me [I was probably 6 when she did this the first time] room from room trying to evade the burglar so he didn't kill or kidnap us. Eventually I caught on that it was just a cruel prank my sister was pulling on me.

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
Bees. Wasps. Hornets. Any type of flying stinging bug. I got stung by 27 wasps at the same time when I was 4.

Also, I was afraid of pool drains and deep ends of the pool. My cousin convinced me that there were monsters in drains.

Finally, there was this local New Jersey commercial that featured a guy sinking into a couch. I'd scream every time it came on.

Also finally, the weird alien face in the original Star Trek series. You know the one. :schierke:

I was scared of many supernatural things as a child, but one that will always stick out for me is Resident Evil when it first came out. I had just got a Playstation, and went to rent a game. Thinking RE looked cool from the box art, I chose that. It wasn't too bad at the start, but once you go into the room where you encounter the first zombie eating Kenneth (I think), I didn't know quite what to make at first from the view of it's back. Once it turned it's head to show that terrifying face, the system immediately went off, and it took me years to get enough courage to try that game again.

Now it's one of my favorite games, easily my favorite of the series, but I still think that face is freaky as hell.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
The introduction of the wolf in Disney's Silly Symphony of Peter and the Wolf scared the hell out of me as a kid. I would always hide behind the couch when that part was about to come on.

2:05
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILI3s7Wonvg&feature=related

I was also afraid of monsters, and by association the dark. For years, I always had my blanket over my head when I went to bed.

I was afraid of Chucky when I was little. The killer doll.

I was also afraid of Jesus Christ.
Im not kidding, when I was like 4. I saw a statue of Jesus on the cross, all bloody and what not.
that shit just scared the christianity from me. was I Damion? the hell? I dont know,
when I was just a short little champ, I thought Jesus was ganna punish me by somehow coming to life from any little statue I saw of him and stabbing a dildo or a knife down my neck.
I dont hate jesus... but that dude scares the shit out of me. Thinking of a statue coming to life, Stranggling me, or stepping on me.

SlimeBeherit

[FIGHT][SPELL] [SACRIFICE][ITEM]
The opening song to the X-files
Friday the 13th (the nes game)
and Chucky , i think i had about 380 nightmares a year of chucky including a specific nightmare that i would have about 5 times a year

there's more but i can't remember at the moment

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
ALIENS!
Seriously, I used to watch the show Sightings and the sketches people would draw would scare the shit out of me. I also used to piss my pants when I walked past this baby at the bookstore. How could this image not SCARE THE FUCK OUTTA YOU?

10245542.jpg

Oh, and also the movie Trilogy of Terror. My mom used to always say "I'm putting on Trilogy of Terror!" when I'd misbehave. The ending where the gal gets possessed and is holding the knife at the end scared me shitless.

trilogy15.jpg

Oh and by the way, awesome thread Bob!

Guts intestines

Kaji-Ryohji said:
The opening song to the X-files
Friday the 13th (the nes game)
and Chucky , i think i had about 380 nightmares a year of chucky including a specific nightmare that i would have about 5 times a year

there's more but i can't remember at the moment

Yeah X-files song was creepy as hell, I couldn't listen to it when I was younger.

handsome rakshas said:
ALIENS!
Seriously, I used to watch the show Sightings and the sketches people would draw would scare the shit out of me. I also used to piss my pants when I walked past this baby at the bookstore. How could this image not SCARE THE FUCK OUTTA YOU?

10245542.jpg

Oh, and also the movie Trilogy of Terror. My mom used to always say "I'm putting on Trilogy of Terror!" when I'd misbehave. The ending where the gal gets possessed and is holding the knife at the end scared me shitless.

trilogy15.jpg

That alien is creepy as hell, and that show sightings scared me as well, along with a number of fox specials, then there was that show Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction, it was creepy and they're bringing it back.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Wild boars used to scare the bejesus out of me. A museum in SF had a GIGANTIC statue of one in the prehistoric exhibit complete with snorting sounds. I swear I saw it move once. I had reoccurring nightmares for months.

puella

Berserk forever
There are too many things that scared me to name one in particular. If I really really had to chose one, it'd probably be that I was horribly afraid to let my feet out of my blanket while I was sleeping. I felt like a ghost (a girl in white with long black hair) would take my feet if they were not protected under the blanket. Honestly, I think I'm afraid of it even nowadays. :void: Everytime I close the shutters on my windows, I'm still careful not to put my arms outside. :judo:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
The movie Arachnophobia scared the crap out of me when I first saw it as a little kid. I slept with the light on for several weeks before I finally accepted the fact that a killer spider wasn't going to crawl under the covers and drain my blood. The X-Files in general creeped the hell out of me, but I loved watching it at the same time. I really miss that show.

Guts intestines

Rhombaad said:
The movie Arachnophobia scared the crap out of me when I first saw it as a little kid. I slept with the light on for several weeks before I finally accepted the fact that a killer spider wasn't going to crawl under the covers and drain my blood. The X-Files in general creeped the hell out of me, but I loved watching it at the same time. I really miss that show.

Wait, the PG-13 rated Arachnophobia? What scared me about it was that I watched it all the way through.

i never officially learned to swim for fear of great whites in the deep end. i still prefer the use of goggles so i can make sure nothing will eat me.

i actually had a fear of being eaten by anything.

Also, there was this strange paranoia that my parents were trying to poison me. I have no idea where this came from.

More recently, I've developed a nausea of wet paper and those little scraps that are left behind when you tear a page from a spiral notebook. And stickers. I can't stand stickers. And fake tattoos.

Guts intestines

Rhombaad said:
Dude, I was 6 or 7, tops! :void:

Because it released when I was born, I didn't see it until '96, but I found the movie tremors a little scarier, anyway I'm not trying to make fun, I just wanted to know that we were talking about the same movie... Its the one with Jeff Daniels and John Goodman right?

Top Bottom