Warhammer: Age of Reckoning

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Heya all, your good old MMO whore Saiyajinnoouji here. This month's hot MMO is Warhammer: Age of reckoning. With that Warhammer has a rich history as it first started as a table top game. It later had Warhammer 40k which takes place a whole god damn farther in the future and has Space Marines and fucking zerg's.

In any case, this game is heavily on the PvP side but brings some great new things on the PvE perspective such as Public quests.

I know that this really doesn't explain a whole lot but if you go here, http://warhammeronline.wikia.com/, it can answer some other questions that you may have.

I am currently playing on Azazel on the Destruction side as a Squiger named Kerplunker. Squigers up! WAAAAAAAGH!

Anyone else playing? I am currently loving it and can't help but think that Age of Conan's pvp should have been like this. Where opposing factions battle it out in the pvp settings and actually make a difference for their sides. Not as graphically appeasing as Conan is but it's look feels good when you consider the Warhammer universe.

One of the things that I like from this game that it really doesn't feel like a grind when leveling. There are pve quests that many are familiar with, "Get me 10 bear pensis!" but those are totally optional and you do not have to do them to advance.

On one of my characters I level from 1 to 5 doing nothing but PvP. Money wasn't an issue since I got money from killing the other opponents and turning the repeatable pvp quest. You also get loot from the dead players which is proportional to their level, so if you kill some one who is level 11, you have a chance of getting an item that is of that same level.

Anyways, lets chat Warhammer in here.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
I've been wanting to get into AOR. Does the game seem balanced or do certain classes dominate PvP? Also is PvP really the best part of the game or is PvE just as good? What's your take on the quest aspect of the game?

Edit: Any idea when 40k online comes out?

SaiyajinNoOuji

Class balancing is always an issue but some classes have it better against others. It's your classic Rock Paper Scissors scenario. For example, my squiger who is a ranged dps bow class with a pet just eats the living shit out of magic casters, but then gets his nuts kicked in by melee'ers. Also it depends on strategy, a tank class can really tank and it's pve moves help out in pvp as well. A tank with some good healers can just outlast anyone.

PvP is the best part but that doesn't mean that pve is crap. As I mentioned before, PvE has some good things that make it fun such as public quests. Let me explain how a public quest works.

1. There is a huge area that you walk in to. Once in there it tells you that you have entered a public quest. and displays the stage that it is on. (There are usually 3 stages to it).

2. So with that you try to accomplish the first stage and anyone that is in that area can contribute to it. You don't have to group up for it if you prefer solo play and they are repeatable.

3. The public quests usually end after the 3rd stage and there is usually a boss fight at the end. Once its complete a screen comes up and displays everyone who contributed to the quest. It then rolls a number and the top 3 people usually get a loot bag where you can choose one reward from it. After that you get exp and influence which can be used to buy better gear. If you end up not getting any loot and you do the public quest again, you get whats called a persistence bonus which is a bonus number... so for example you roll a 500 but have a persistence bonus of 300, your total number is 800 and that number will be used to see if you get anything or not.

4. After that the public quests restarts after 2 minutes and you can do it again and again.

I usually do those while I am queued up for the PvP scenario games. As for the other stand alone quests, they are your usual collect this amount or talk to these people... they are really easy and give you items like healing potions and other things that will help you in PvP.

With PvP you have scenario games which are like Battle Grounds from WoW... there is a map which is mirrored and you all fight for the areas. The more times your side wins, the more benefits that you get. If you win enough time and take over your area, you get bonus renown and influence which can be used to get gear.

If you don't like doing the scenario games you can do contested area objectives in the maps later area... also another good thing about the game is how its separated in tiers... There are 4 tiers per area... so first tier is levels 1-11, 12-21, 22-31, 32-40.. if you play on a Core Rule set server, the higher up players cannot come down to your tier and rape you, which is great if you were tired of that in WoW... in a Open RvR rule set they can come down BUT they get a debuff on them that turns them into a giant chicken and they lose some of their power.

In any case, the game is mad fucking fun, if you are still apprehensive about it, see if you can watch a friend play it and see if you can give it a try for a bit.

One other thing about the PvE thing is that you can get achievements and unlocks for various things... also are your achievements and what not are stored in a item called the a Tome of Knowledge, this is great because it lets you read the story of the world as you progress... every time you finish a quest it will record it in your tome and it will read like a story book...ITS GOD DAMN AWESOME AND YOU SHOULD JUST GET THE GAME!

One more thing now that i think about it is... with servers and class balances, a server has two queues ... one for Destruction and one for Order... If the destruction side is huge you can just roll on order and get into the action, be aware though that you can only play one side per server... so i you make destruction, you would have to delete them to make an order guy.

Hope that helps!

Also there is no 40k online game coming out, i was just saying that there are two versions of warhammer... The original and 40k when it comes to the table top game... there are other PC games for both of them but Age of Reckoning is the only MMO for them.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji-Trading Cards said:
...ITS GOD DAMN AWESOME AND YOU SHOULD JUST GET THE GAME!
Thank you, that's all I was reading this thread for :serpico: But I don't think I'll toss my hat in this ring. I think I'm done with MMOs. Conan did me in.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
This is probably the only MMO game I've wanted to play for a long time, I'm going to have to check it out some day.

Also there is no 40k online game coming out, i was just saying that there are two versions of warhammer... The original and 40k when it comes to the table top game... there are other PC games for both of them but Age of Reckoning is the only MMO for them.

Yeah sorry I was trying to make a joke, but a 40k MMO would be pretty badass. :guts:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Walter said:
Thank you, that's all I was reading this thread for :serpico: But I don't think I'll toss my hat in this ring. I think I'm done with MMOs. Conan did me in.
Oh I know the feeling... Age of Conan really hurt everybody that tried it, even those that are still playing for it, they just don't know it! War is nothing like Age of Conan, and thats a good thing. If anything, you can always wait until they have the free trial's that all MMO's have eventually. I think you will be surprised how fun it is, and that is one thing that I want to emphasize... its FUN... not grindy, BUT FUN!

One thing that I did forget to mention is that the areas are separate to the three groups per side...

1. Greenskins (Ors and Goblins) vs Dwarfs

2. Empire (Humans) vs Chaos

3. Dark Elves vs High Elves.

From there you have the tiered world and objectives... if you get tired of your own side, you can go to any of your other allies area and group up with them which is smart to do because each side has a class that the others don't, so if me being a squiger go to the chaos side and fight the humans, I would actually do really good because the human side has lots of magic users and well, I turn their assholes into big purple donkey assholes when im done. So there is a lot of variety!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Also is PvP really the best part of the game or is PvE just as good? What's your take on the quest aspect of the game?

I'd say it's really PvP that matters myself. Public quests are a nice feature, but in the end PvP's where all the fun's at. And the game was made with that in mind, so don't expect a lot of PvE content or even great innovations in that regard. Keep in mind that it's the spiritual sequel of DAoC. Anyway, the game looks pretty cool for what I've played of it, but I don't think I'll give it a serious shot.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Aazealh said:
I'd say it's really PvP that matters myself. Public quests are a nice feature, but in the end PvP's where all the fun's at. And the game was made with that in mind, so don't expect a lot of PvE content or even great innovations in that regard. Keep in mind that it's the spiritual sequel of DAoC. Anyway, the game looks pretty cool for what I've played of it, but I don't think I'll give it a serious shot.
Are you still playing COnan?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Are you still playing COnan?

Nope, stopped about a month or so ago I think. Like I had said at the time I didn't plan on playing for more than 3 or so months. MMOs are nice but definitely too time-consuming for me. Otherwise I'd probably have played WAR for a little while as well.

I been playing since the game came out since game spot didnt call me about the beta and I learned about it to late. I have a lvl 15 chaos chosen on Middenhiem server and a lvl 5 or 6 white lion on Sakvenblight server. The game is fantastic for an mmo, since you can solo the whole thing as far as I know, but grouping is easy as well. The pqs are very awesome thats where youll get most of you gear and influence gear.

RVR is great as well theres nothing like running in a 24 man warband killing everyone you see and taking a keep for your side!. I hate keeps tho since the way they were deigned suck. When you go up to kill the keep lord you cant pull one you pull all of them they shoulda been back more not right on the steps to kick your ass. That adds to the frustration since pcs of the opposing side can hide in the npcs and kill you even faster. But after taking a keep its a great feeling, and you can also get loot like you do in a pq.

I havnt tried crafting but I read someones post about Talismin crafting being a pain in the ass.

Questing is easy they hold your hand most of the time but some are not so obvious I have only had a problem with 2. It took me a while to find 2 people since they werent your obvious kill and return quest.

I'm alittle sad since its not like the fantasy rpg like it was going to be in the begining but this game is fun since there is alot to do.

I've been kind of reluctant to try this game because I have heard a lot more bad things than good. I also played Age of Conan for a few weeks and got to level 80 and just completely lost interest and became bored. So, I've been trying to stay away from MMOs because most likely the same thing will happen.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
EndlessSky said:
I've been kind of reluctant to try this game because I have heard a lot more bad things than good. I also played Age of Conan for a few weeks and got to level 80 and just completely lost interest and became bored. So, I've been trying to stay away from MMOs because most likely the same thing will happen.

Any and every MMORPG gets boring after a time, that's definite. But the same can be said of all games, depending on who's playing them. Personally, the reason I don't indulge in MMORPGs more is simply because they take so much time. When playing a MMO you hardly have any time for other games or even other activities (assuming you're not playing very casually).

SaiyajinNoOuji

EndlessSky said:
What things did you hear that were negative EnlessSky?

My friend and I are going with duel squig herders... I wanted to start a guild with just us two called the Squigs of Hazard but it looks like we need to have a minimum of 6 people! Booo!

Anyways, I love my squig! Rank 10 here I come! :casca:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
SaiyajinNoOuji-Cards are in the mail! said:
My friend and I are going with duel squig herders... I wanted to start a guild with just us two called the Squigs of Hazard but it looks like we need to have a minimum of 6 people! Booo!

Is that just to create a guild? If so, you might be able to find six people to make the guild and then the extras could just leave.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Scorpio said:
Is that just to create a guild? If so, you might be able to find six people to make the guild and then the extras could just leave.
Well my friend is talking to our other friends who live near him to see if they want to start up the game. If they do that will be two more people and then we could probably just get two random people to join. In anycase, had some fun this morning (5am) and got some good gaming in.

Place first in one of the scenarios with only 1 death! Weee! Also the patch they pushed out gave me a performance increase (that and i installed beta ATI drivers that have been reported to improve gaming by quite a bit!)

One of the other things that I like is that you can get loot from dead players. Iv gotten some great gear from dead players and it works like this... if you kill a rank 11 player, you have a chance of getting a piece of gear of that level. Really simple but makes it a great surprise when you find it!

Does the item come from the players inventory or is just like a random looting system? That could kind of suck if you dropped your items when you died, unless it is just a random reward that doesn't come out of the players pocket.

SaiyajinNoOuji

EndlessSky said:
Does the item come from the players inventory or is just like a random looting system? That could kind of suck if you dropped your items when you died, unless it is just a random reward that doesn't come out of the players pocket.
Its a random item, it doesnt come from their item slots or anything.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Apparently 2.00GHz on my laptop won't cover it.

I was curious to get into MMO's before, especially one based on Warhammer.... can't begin to tell you how much money I spent on my dwarf army as a kid. Edit -- hang on, does the fact it's 2.00GHz on a duo core make a difference?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:

I was curious to get into MMO's before, especially one based on Warhammer.... can't begin to tell you how much money I spent on my dwarf army as a kid. Edit -- hang on, does the fact it's 2.00GHz on a duo core make a difference?
What's your video card? Between the latency and size of the RAM, processor speed (and complexity of the chip) and vid card, that's your framerate.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Let's see:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz, 3GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 128mb vid card. It's using discrete graphics solution. Honestly, I haven't played a PC game since Worms Armageddon.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Uriel said:

if you are inclined to... you can go to forums.techpowerup.com and they have a section in the overclocking area where you can use some programs to overclock your laptop some. As Walter said, your CPU frequency can bottle neck your laptop or desktop performance. With laptops specifically, most of them are made so that your video graphics share part of your ram to increase performance, you can go to new and see if you can find more RAM for your laptop, if it will support it.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Uriel said:
Let's see:

Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2.0GHz, 3GB DDR2, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS, 128mb vid card. It's using discrete graphics solution. Honestly, I haven't played a PC game since Worms Armageddon.

You can run Warhammer Online on your computer, assuming you have over 15GB of free space on your HDD. Multi-core and single-core frequencies don't compare, and your processor is more than enough.

SaiyajinNoOuji

EndlessSky said:
Hey Saiyajin, how you would compare Warhammer Online to all the other MMO games you have played?
Well its too early to tell but I like it better then most so far. I think its pretty much since the game is new and what not, get back to me in a month or so. On the other hand though Mythic has been on the ball was trying to get things patched and I have noticed some good improvements to the game so far (performance wise). Also its a plus that their patches haven't been breaking things too much like Age of Conan does.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Well I'm double posting because I'm cool like that.

So far with me hitting rank (level) 13 iv moved on to the next tier for the Greenskins vs Dwarfs.

Scenarios are still fun to play and bolster (a power up that raises your damage and hit points to a level 18 equivalent) helps out still. One of the things that I noticed for the 2nd tier area of where I am at is that its more focused on the open area objectives for quests... thing is though if you don't have a group to go with, good fucking luck trying to do it solo. Depending on what class you are, you might be able to get away with it but it would be really really difficult.

The NPC's that guard the area are around level 15 to 16 and with a level 18 champion/hero (elite enemy in wow terms) that you have to defeat to take over the area. Also if you play at an odd time of the night this can be a big pain since there are obviously not enough people to play with to achieve that....

Public Quests are still available but the same issues arise. If you are not with a group you will only be able to finish the first stage of it since they usually are: "Kill 100 lackeys". After that it either spawns the boss who will rape your face if you try to go solo or it will need you to kill elite type mobs that will be very difficult and time consuming... something that is counting down and only gives you 10 minutes or so to complete.

If you have at least one other person you could probably complete this portion as well.

From what I have written above, it really benefits everyone, including yourself, if you go at this game with a bunch of friends or join a guild of your liking. With that, don't try to rush to the end. Just have fun and don't get so caught up on trying to be the best poopsocker in the world. If you follow those things you will enjoy this game immensely!

With that Mythic has been making some really great changes and are on their way of fixing this game up. Some of the changes that are in the pipe to come out, which I have been waiting for is, making it so that if an item drops in a scenario, those that cannot actually use it will get only the greed option while those that can use it will get need. Last night I saw a couple of people just spam need on everything that popped (faggots). That was pretty annoying.

Other then that, this game is shaping up for those that love pvp! Whooo hooo! This maybe the next game that I wont leave after a month! :ganishka:

Top Bottom