Mother 3 fan translation

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://mother3.fobby.net/

The translation is complete. The ROM hacking is complete. It's in the final stage now -- testing. The final patch should be released in a few weeks. We'll finally be able to play this. Not releasing this and Seiken Densetsu 3 have been among Nintendo's greatest failings.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Wow, wavelength never ceases to amaze me, I checked their status last night and almost made a thread myself but decided to hold off until there was a tentative release date (I did sign up for them to email me when they're finished). Earthbound is one of my favorite games so I can't wait for them to finish this, it would make a nice Christmas present. Actually, I was hoping they were already done with the translation (which I guess they are), so I'd have something worthy to play between Mega Man 9 sessions.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
I am really excited about this, as I too rank Earthbound among my favorite games. I can't wait!

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Gaaah, I want my 7th Saga sequel (Mystic Ark) and Paladin's Quest sequel (Lennus) ... They well never ever get translated and it makes me sad in the pants. :judo:

Indeed, this is very good news. I've enjoyed the original immensely and this one looks to be in the same spirit.

Walter said:
Not releasing this .... have been among Nintendo's greatest failings.

Perhaps the low sales of the SNES game still haunts Nintendo to this very day :zodd:

Griffith

Excellent! It even says by the end of this week. :isidro:

Whichever it is, I signed up to be emailed upon its release... but I'm feeling a weird conflict, like should I wait a little longer for them to update and fix whatever inevitable bugs slipped through? =)

(a: My whole life I've opened toys, CDs, and video games in the car before getting home, so you can guess what I'm actually going to do)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It's here.

Now to get my visual boy advance emulator working up to snuff...

Griffith

Haha, God damn, the notification email sat unchecked in my bloody spam folder all day! :ganishka:

Starting immediately.

Griffith

At first I went with the default "Plain" color menus, but switched to Purple for the classic EarthBound look. =)

Scorpio

Walter said:
It's here.

Now to get my visual boy advance emulator working up to snuff...

Mine constantly hiccups if I don't quit every other program on my computer, and even then, during the more intense
fire
screens it started hiccuping anyway. Is there a better gba emulator for macs? (I'm stuck with my parent's old laptop while I'm overseas) or something I can do to help it run more efficiently?

The game though is awesome, Flint is the man.

Edit: It also slipped my mind, but I am unable to save the game. I've been using save states whenever I see frogs, but it would be nice if it worked like it was supposed to.

Griffith said:
but I'm feeling a weird conflict, like should I wait a little longer for them to update and fix whatever inevitable bugs slipped through? =)

Well, I've made it up to what seems to be the last chapter of the game, and I haven't had so much as a spelling error. I've got to hand it to this team. This was very professionally handled. Even the translation itself doesn't seems like it should be without the usual tampering to throw in more colorful dialog.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Mine constantly hiccups if I don't quit every other program on my computer, and even then, during the more intense
fire
screens it started hiccuping anyway. Is there a better gba emulator for macs? (I'm stuck with my parent's old laptop while I'm overseas) or something I can do to help it run more efficiently?
After tweaking my VBA settings, mine runs nearly flawlessly. Settings are 0 frameskip, auto-skip, "Normal" filter. It will have bursts of running 60 FPS, and then it'll drop to like, 58.

The game though is awesome, Flint is the man.
Yeah, this really can't be said enough. The game is totally awesome, and takes on a much more serious tone than Earthbound did - for the better, I say. I'm just in Chapter 2, and I'm loving it.

Edit: It also slipped my mind, but I am unable to save the game.
All I can suggest is to make sure you have a folder called "saves" in your VBA folder. Not sure why it wouldn't save properly. Im using VBA Collector's Edition and the only problems are the ones Ive listed above.

Griffith

Let's designate things like what chapter we're in before we start listing the names of places etc, even with spoiler tags warnings are important. As a matter of fact let's not even throw out specifics at all unless there's some kind reason or discussion behind it, thanks. =)

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Griffith said:
As a matter of fact let's not even throw out specifics at all unless there's some kind reason or discussion behind it, thanks. =)
Seriously, Roderick ... what the fuck, man?

As for the translation, I've caught a handful of problem areas, mostly grammatical errors and punctuation misplacement - typical among fan-made stuff.

I do kind of wish the humor was ... a little more humorous? I dunno, I feel like Earthbound's translation was more personality-laden and weird in a catchy kind of way. It had a life of its own, whereas this translation just feels more stoic.

Griffith

Walter said:
Seriously, Roderick ... what the fuck, man?

No, he tagged it, it's my own fault, I just feel that as someone who reads from right to left that the spoiler should follow a given context rather than vice versa. That, and I'm still gnashing my teeth after stupidly speed-reading that before I really thought about it; it's a trap for impatient people like me! :guts:

Anyway, I'm only in Chapter 2 as well, I agree with you that it's more serious, whether it's better for it or not I think remains to be seen though. I did care, and it even balanced the most serious dramatic moments with the old EarthBound silliness, but as you say, the overall quirkiness isn't as pervasive, and I don't just think it's the translation, which so far is as good or better as something official (relatively speaking, it certainly isn't as lively as EarthBound, but I think that's also representative of the game so far). I'm impressed by how they managed to work in puns and such which I'm sure weren't cut and dry.

And Flint is indeed the man, can we call him The Motherslinger? :carcus:

The Lumswinger? =)

Scorpio

Walter said:
After tweaking my VBA settings, mine runs nearly flawlessly. Settings are 0 frameskip, auto-skip, "Normal" filter. It will have bursts of running 60 FPS, and then it'll drop to like, 58.[...] All I can suggest is to make sure you have a folder called "saves" in your VBA folder.

Thanks, these settings are doing the trick. I had tried to tweak the settings before, but I somehow only managed to make it worse. It's still a tad choppy in places, but at least I can play it with other programs running now. Unfortunately saving is another story. The save folder is there, but whenever I try the game tells me that its unable to save. Save states are working fine so far... though Cmd+F and Cmd+D are right next to each other, and I feel like its just a matter of time before I hit the wrong one and have to play that segment over. The fear keeps me focused every time I plan to use it, so maybe it won't be an issue.

Yeah, this really can't be said enough. The game is totally awesome, and takes on a much more serious tone than Earthbound did - for the better, I say. I'm just in Chapter 2, and I'm loving it.

I went into this game expecting Earthbound (which it still manages to capture very well), but because of that I got completely blindsided by some of the more serious aspects they've worked into the game. It's done a lot to increase my enjoyment and feel attached to the characters.

Griffith

Scorpio said:
Unfortunately saving is another story. The save folder is there, but whenever I try the game tells me that its unable to save. Save states are working fine so far... though Cmd+F and Cmd+D are right next to each other, and I feel like its just a matter of time before I hit the wrong one and have to play that segment over. The fear keeps me focused every time I plan to use it, so maybe it won't be an issue.

At least you're not losing much of the experience using save states, there's a save point on every other screen! I almost find it inconvenient and distracting because I feel obligated to save at each new point. =)

Scorpio said:
I went into this game expecting Earthbound (which it still manages to capture very well), but because of that I got completely blindsided by some of the more serious aspects they've worked into the game. It's done a lot to increase my enjoyment and feel attached to the characters.

It's quite unique, but vibes more with "traditional" RPGs than EarthBound's overall feel did, even musically, I'm reminded specifically of Chrono Trigger, FF7, and Mario RPG in the new tracks.

Top Bottom