Theoden's 3D Sculpts

Re: 3D Zodd sculpt and other stuff

Grail said:
Right on, those muscles look a lot more defined, and definitely more Guts-like. That scary rib cage is a dead giveaway! :guts:

Thank you Grail.

Update.
guts000010.jpg

clup.jpg

hair01g.jpg

Taking a break about the Berserker armor sculpting.

I want to make this Guts ( from the fight vs Grunberd ) as well.

guts_vs_grunberd_ver__by_gvdigitalsculptor-d6ttpit.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Awesome details as always, Theoden! :guts: It's cool to see these models as they become more and more refined. But for the Guts vs Grunbeld fight, should Guts's scar from Slan be included as a part of the model, or as a texture? :???: That makes me wonder, do you plan to do textures for these models eventually? I hope so!

Thank you for your interest Grail.

My ultimate goal for this project is to 3D print this Guts digital sculpture. I am planning to make 3 prints;

- 1 Bust 1/1 ( neutral pose )
- 1 Guts vs Grunbeld ver. 1/7 ( pose still to decide; I'm open to Ideas )
- 1 Guts with the Berserker armor 1/7 ( pose still to decide; I'm open to Ideas )

Grail said:
But for the Guts vs Grunbeld fight, should Guts's scar from Slan be included as a part of the model, or as a texture? :???: That makes me wonder, do you plan to do textures for these models eventually? I hope so!

So, to answer your question :

- I will texture the model as well ( using Mari to be specific )
- The body of Guts hasn't been modified yet; I still haven't started all the scratchs, dirt, scars that I will sculpt directly on the model. So, yes, the wounds he received from Slan are not here yet, and will appear both on sculpt and texture.
- The head will change as well, I'm not satisfied with it for now. I will care about it when I finish the other parts.

At this stage, only the anatomy of the body is 90% final. The other objects and accessories need some detailing obviously.

Cool project, thanks for continuing work on this and showing up different stages. It's fascinating to see how it starts and where it can go ... for someone like me who doesn't know a lot of 3D designs. Quick thing I notice - is the size for the DS final? The handle looks long and the blade is just the opposite.

IncantatioN said:
Cool project, thanks for continuing work on this and showing up different stages. It's fascinating to see how it starts and where it can go ... for someone like me who doesn't know a lot of 3D designs. Quick thing I notice - is the size for the DS final? The handle looks long and the blade is just the opposite.

Thank you IncantatioN. About the DS handle, it's up to me to choose one lenght amongst all the DS Miura has pictured.

On this small ref. board
1397605_10151741319408244_490931584_o.jpg

You can see the handle should be longer. It's a choice since sometimes it's longer, sometimes it's smaller in different moments of the story.
About the shape and size of the core blade itself, I just followed the pictures of James when he made his real prop replica of the DS.

This version of Guts is something I´ve wanted sculpted for ages! Nice choice, man! 3D modeling looks like a whole lot fun, I bet its time consuming though huh?

Of course I clearly see this project is at a very early stage but you werent planning on making more copies of any of those 3 you mentioned? See where Im going with this? :guts: ...Nah I wont bother you, just know that theres definitely an interest for it.

And yo, funny thing about the handle, I was just pointing it out in another thread, and yours is awesome dude! Long is definitely the way to go imo. Looking forward to futher updates.

I'm really crossing my fingers that you decide to make some resin copies of that sculpt once its printed. ;)
It looks awesome, congrats. Would definitely buy those !

Hanma_Baki said:
This version of Guts is something I´ve wanted sculpted for ages! Nice choice, man! 3D modeling looks like a whole lot fun, I bet its time consuming though huh?

Yes, me too, among many others as well :D
3D modeling is really great, but not always time consuming. For a character like Guts, I would say yes it is very time consuming, since everything about him must be sculpted with references. I'm not inventing things, I must follow what M. Miura designed. And it can be very difficult.
To save time, I would need every single object with different shots : Front view, side view, 3/4 view, top view, bottom view... But that would be a colossal job, and with my experience as a digital sculptor I can work with fewer views.

But it's still very time-consuming. Especially with a 2D character, since the artist can use some tricks which will work with 2D, but won't in 3D... So it's like a reconstruction job.

Hanma_Baki said:
Of course I clearly see this project is at a very early stage but you werent planning on making more copies of any of those 3 you mentioned? See where Im going with this? :guts: ...Nah I wont bother you, just know that theres definitely an interest for it.

And yo, funny thing about the handle, I was just pointing it out in another thread, and yours is awesome dude! Long is definitely the way to go imo. Looking forward to futher updates.

I would like to make more copies. Last week in Paris, France, was the 3D Print Show. I got some contacts with great companies to print my Guts sculpture.
I am going to make a 3D print prototype and then cast resin kits.
The process to prepare the 3D sculpture to be printed is very difficult and painful... But I will manage it. It will just make the whole process longer than I expected.
In the end, the quality will be really great.

I think I will be able to cast the prototype early 2014.

I think I will reduce the handle :carcus: but this isn't my main concern... The face isn't very good for me and this will be my biggest challenge.

Sankari said:
I'm really crossing my fingers that you decide to make some resin copies of that sculpt once its printed. ;)
It looks awesome, congrats. Would definitely buy those !

Thank you ! Stay tuned, things could go really fast :guts:

Anyways, little update.

965414_10151770115853244_1377313783_o.jpg

I would like to make more copies. Last week in Paris, France, was the 3D Print Show. I got some contacts with great companies to print my Guts sculpture.
I am going to make a 3D print prototype and then cast resin kits.
The process to prepare the 3D sculpture to be printed is very difficult and painful... But I will manage it. It will just make the whole process longer than I expected.
In the end, the quality will be really great.

I think I will be able to cast the prototype early 2014.

Wow! Thats awesome! :guts: Greater news than I could ever hope for! What pose are you going for? That one dispayed in the program? (neutral) Or is this the bust you were talking about?

But it's still very time-consuming. Especially with a 2D character, since the artist can use some tricks which will work with 2D, but won't in 3D... So it's like a reconstruction job.

Yeah I can definitely see how that could be tricky, but for what its worth I think it looks good this far. And the face looks to be well on its way too, but I guess the detail work gets to a whole different level when making a 1/1 bust eh?

I think I will reduce the handle

Just a little, ye? :iva: ...well anyway, from what I´ve seen this far, I feel confident enough you´ll make it look good either way.

Hanma_Baki said:
Wow! Thats awesome! :guts: Greater news than I could ever hope for! What pose are you going for? That one dispayed in the program? (neutral) Or is this the bust you were talking about?

Yeah I can definitely see how that could be tricky, but for what its worth I think it looks good this far. And the face looks to be well on its way too, but I guess the detail work gets to a whole different level when making a 1/1 bust eh?

Just a little, ye? :iva: ...well anyway, from what I´ve seen this far, I feel confident enough you´ll make it look good either way.

Thank you.
I don't know yet... I have two poses in mind right now. First one is this one
2zcr.jpg
and this one
ermp.jpg

I haven't made my choice yet; but the Idea of making this random apostle seems like a lot of fun!

Well, about the level of detail of a 1/1 bust I don't think I will add that much detail. Actually, since the art style of the manga isn't into photorealism, it would be inappropriate to make too much details ( such as nipples, skin wrinkles etc; ).

Well yeah I reduced the lenght of the DS Handle :carcus:

Since I've started too the Berserker armor, after finishing this first ver. I choose this pose which is one of my all-time favourite :

yl21.jpg

Update.

1548167_10151849733923244_1447469792_o.jpg

1540418_10151849746388244_1125933776_o.jpg

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Neat pose ideas, Theoden! I personally like the one with the unnamed apostle. :guts: By the way, is it just me or does the top of Guts's head seem a little small in the most recent images? Maybe it's the angle.

Grail said:
Neat pose ideas, Theoden! I personally like the one with the unnamed apostle. :guts: By the way, is it just me or does the top of Guts's head seem a little small in the most recent images? Maybe it's the angle.

My favourite pose as well. I wasn't just too sure since it's not an "iconic" one If I might say.

You are right, this area isn't well proportioned. I was just too happy to get my first view with a rough - but decent - aspect for his hair cut ( since sculpting each piece of hair is really painful ).

I am working on the head right now, and actually, even If I'm not throwing away this head style I am sculpting a totally new one since I'm not happy with the actual one...

I appreciate feedbacks so, If you want to criticize or anyone else please be my guest. My goal is to make the best sculpt of Guts face and I intend to start as many as necessary to get it right.

Thank you again :guts:

Grail

Feel the funk blast

Awesome! I don't think you should worry about the pose being iconic, since there is already tons of artwork of Guts in famous poses. The idea of you doing something different is very refreshing!

Anyway, sorry I forgot to mention how much I impressed I was with the hair! No doubt that it was tricky to create, but when its zoomed in you can appreciate the detail. Great work! :ubik:

Grail said:
Awesome! I don't think you should worry about the pose being iconic, since there is already tons of artwork of Guts in famous poses. The idea of you doing something different is very refreshing!

Anyway, sorry I forgot to mention how much I impressed I was with the hair! No doubt that it was tricky to create, but when its zoomed in you can appreciate the detail. Great work! :ubik:

Thank you.

I've made a fresh new head. Still an early version but I think I will stick to this new model and leave the old one.
Comments are welcome, as alwaus :guts:

1492580_10151888165283244_1976398004_o.jpg

Edit : worked a bit this new head. I think I'm heading to the right direction, at least I hope.

1780972_10151890515688244_1416728050_o.jpg

Body wasn't muscular enough, so I decided to give it some more love. Reworked the ears and some tweaks around the face.
Also, facial expression on the way :guts:

1559322_10151924984943244_1800573705_o.jpg

1556415_10151924990803244_1072971267_o.jpg

Of course, some stuff are far from finishes ( such as his teeth ).
See you next time for more! :carcus:

Nice! Yeah I can definitely see that the face/expression is the biggest challenge! Gotta be a bitch converting 2D to 3D.

Grail

Feel the funk blast

I don't remember if I commented on DA or not, but I was a little spooked by the realism with this one! How do you do the pores and the little details in the clothes, anyway? :isidro:

Grail said:
I don't remember if I commented on DA or not, but I was a little spooked by the realism with this one! How do you do the pores and the little details in the clothes, anyway? :isidro:

No you didn't :guts: and thank you for your interest. I'm learning realistic shading right now so next step will be to add some skin shader and realistic texturing, hair etc.

TheWillOfT said:
Theoden FOR THE WIN!!!!!!
Awsome Stuff man :guts:

Thank you bro!

I made (another, yes I know - let's hope you don't get tired of this - ) a new head version.
Hope you like it.

guts_wip_40_by_gvdigitalsculptor-d7j4d5x.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Theoden said:
I made (another, yes I know - let's hope you don't get tired of this - ) a new head version.
Hope you like it.

I think it's pretty good, though there are some problems with the nose. The jaw might be a bit too "forward" as well.

Aazealh said:
I think it's pretty good, though there are some problems with the nose. The jaw might be a bit too "forward" as well.

Thank you!
I made some corrections here:
guts_wip_41_by_gvdigitalsculptor-d7jcapo.jpg

Pose is done! Now the painful part begins... Putting all the armor pieces and other assets u_u
guts_wip_42_by_gvdigitalsculptor-d7jzvkx.jpg

Top Bottom