Guts' chance of survival

G

Gangstap

Throughout the story Guts faces impossible odds and always comes out on top. Now he has set his eyes on one of the most powerful entities in the Berserk franchise, Femto. Honestly, a story that takes a path similiar to this usually doesnt end with the hero living to live a lovely future. And I dont see him and Casca settling down anywhere either. And this is all assuming that somehow he does defeat the God Hands... I just dont see him living to see the end of the manga.

But hey, I could be wrong, i highly doubt I am, but I could be. All of me wishes that he will survive, but at the same time i feel like it wont bring closure to the story if he doesnt. It truely is a depressing anime, stretching a whole 11+ years since Miura started it. Seems like it may never end...

So what do you all think his chances of survival is.. I know this isnt much of a topic, but hey im wondering what you all think.. Its kinda been bothering me lately.. Im a sap I know.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Gangstap said:
Throughout the story Guts faces impossible odds and always comes out on top. Now he has set his eyes on one of the most powerful entities in the Berserk franchise, Femto. Honestly, a story that takes a path similiar to this usually doesnt end with the hero living to live a lovely future. And I dont see him and Casca settling down anywhere either. And this is all assuming that somehow he does defeat the God Hands... I just dont see him living to see the end of the manga.

But hey, I could be wrong, i highly doubt I am, but I could be. All of me wishes that he will survive, but at the same time i feel like it wont bring closure to the story if he doesnt. It truely is a depressing anime, stretching a whole 11+ years since Miura started it. Seems like it may never end...

So what do you all think his chances of survival is.. I know this isnt much of a topic, but hey im wondering what you all think.. Its kinda been bothering me lately.. Im a sap I know.

It has been mentioned in a thread long long ago that Miura has stated that Guts ending will be somewhat happy in a sense. What that entails I dont know but I would be surprised if that meant dying even if it was for the greater good of everyone.

G

Gangstap

Probably along the lines of being at peace with himself... I highly doubt he will live... and even less likely a happy life. But maybe im completely wrong and making myself seem like an idiot.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
I just dont see him living to see the end of the manga.

Why is that? Berserk is all about him, so if he dies I'm pretty sure that'll be the end of the story.

Gangstap said:
All of me wishes that he will survive, but at the same time i feel like it wont bring closure to the story if he doesnt.

Why? Is there a particular reason for it?

Gangstap said:
It truely is a depressing anime, stretching a whole 11+ years since Miura started it.

Actually, the first episode was published in 1989, so it's been almost 20 years since the manga started (and Miura had already been working on it for a couple of years by then).

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It has been mentioned in a thread long long ago that Miura has stated that Guts ending will be somewhat happy in a sense.

To be exact, what he said is that the ending of the series wouldn't be pessimistic.

Gangstap said:
Probably along the lines of being at peace with himself...

There's no way to tell. His death is a possibility, but so is his survival. Personally I wouldn't have a problem with him living happily ever after. In fact I hope it will happen.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Seriously, Guts has earned a goddamned break. I honestly foresee him having a happy life by the end of it all.

G

Gangstap

Lol I totally agree with your statement Walter, and that would be cool if he does live and have a happy life. But his life has also been so screwed up that I dont see him wanting to really live a peaceful life, unless of course it involves Casca's old self. Most of my hypothesis revolves around the fact that most animes that are like this dont end happy. But hell, the entire story is depressing so maybe a fairy tale ending is due.

I just dont see them destroying all the evil, cause to live happily they are going to have too. Meh, all we can do is hope. And when i said living to end of manga i meant all the way through, If he does die im sure they will somehow get a few more EPISODES out in an attempt to give the story closure.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Most of my hypothesis revolves around the fact that most animes that are like this dont end happy. But hell, the entire story is depressing so maybe a fairy tale ending is due.

Berserk's a manga. A graphic novel. And I don't know what other stories you're comparing it to. If you asked me I'd say that it's quite unique and unlike any other work. I also don't think the entire story is depressing. Guts has friends now, Casca has a chance to be cured, they're going to be out of harm's way for a while... I've seen more depressing stuff.

Gangstap said:
I just dont see them destroying all the evil, cause to live happily they are going to have too.

Who knows about that? Don't assume too much.

G

Gangstap

Just trying to feel this out.. trying to think what the possibilities are... but anyways, what is he going to have to accomplish to live a "happy" life? Seems like its quite a lot, and I believe one of those things is to destroy Femto.. he needs his revenge, and I dont know if Casca wants that for him.. and in my opinion a happy life entails living with Casca.. hmm makes me wonder if she is going to die and then Guts is going to go into exile lol..

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
For him to live a normal life, all he really needs to do is find a way to remove the brand from himself and Casca. Even now, Schierke can keep the effects of the brand in check, so the only thing missing is Casca's sanity. It's a shame Ganishka is bringing in tidal waves of darkness into the world and that Griffith is about to ascend to power, but the effects these events will have hasn't been revealed yet so its a moot point for now. Guts is so close to normalcy!

G

Gangstap

I dont see him just stopping his fight for revenge just like that, he is constantly being reminded of that day when Femto raped Casca.. and not to mention the beast inside him.. are we all assuming that once the brand is gone that he will be back to his perfect self? I think not, he is going to have to do something about the beast, maybe Casca could help that.. Plus I dont think Miura is going to leave the war unresolved, he is going to want to keep Guts involved somehow. We just have to wait and see.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
I dont see him just stopping his fight for revenge just like that, he is constantly being reminded of that day when Femto raped Casca.. and not to mention the beast inside him.. are we all assuming that once the brand is gone that he will be back to his perfect self? I think not, he is going to have to do something about the beast, maybe Casca could help that.. Plus I dont think Miura is going to leave the war unresolved, he is going to want to keep Guts involved somehow. We just have to wait and see.

Well obviously the story won't just end whenever the group reaches Elfhelm... But the war man, it's already over.

G

Gangstap

You think that once Griffith takes Ganishka down.. you think everything is going to be fine in the world? I dont know, I have a feeling that people are gonna see Griffith for who he really is and trip out. But maybe he will get what he wants after walking all over everyone like that. I really dont see Guts moving on that easy.. unless Casca really intervenes.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Plus I dont think Miura is going to leave the war unresolved, he is going to want to keep Guts involved somehow. We just have to wait and see.
Guts was never involved, or even invested in this war to begin with. This Kushan / Western Continent war began in volume 17, when he was well into his Black Swordsman days. The brief contact with Kushan forces in Vritannis is the only direct overlap between Guts and this war.

I say Guts wasn't invested in the war, but he was somewhat sentimental about Midland when he was told by a passing farmer in volume 23 that it may be dissapearing as the hegemon on the continent.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Gangstap said:
I dont see him just stopping his fight for revenge just like that, he is constantly being reminded of that day when Femto raped Casca.. and not to mention the beast inside him.. are we all assuming that once the brand is gone that he will be back to his perfect self?

He has already resisted the temptations of revenge, he is no longer interested in pissing contests between monsters. The beast has already said thay he will bide his time until the right moment- and without the beast, Guts is his perfect self. He's matured a lot since his quest for revenge. If the brand was removed and Casca returned to her old self, and if they managed to stay away from the evil that appears to be surfacing in the world... what would stop him from leading a normal life? Picture it: Guts sitting at home, the sun shining, enjoying a bowl of soup as Casca hums an easygoing tune while doing dishes... When the beast finally picks its moment and Guts goes into a berserk frenzy and slaughters Casca with his spoon before barging into the forest to kill squirrels.

Doesn't make sense.

G

Gangstap

Scorpio said:
Picture it: Guts sitting at home, the sun shining, enjoying a bowl of soup as Casca hums an easygoing tune while doing dishes... When the beast finally picks its moment and Guts goes into a berserk frenzy and slaughters Casca with his spoon before barging into the forest to kill squirrels.

Doesn't make sense.

No not at all, but that is not what i meant. I dont even see him getting to being that relaxed. Think about it, Guts entire life has revolved his ability to survive, he doesnt know anything else. He has constantly been fighting for himself.. I dont see him stopping all of a sudden. Ya digg?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
What about his escape from Albion, does that count?
Only incidentally. He just happened to be near Griffith at the time of Silat's covert ops. assassination mission. And I wouldn't qualify that as "the war" anyway. What happened at Albion was totally independent from the Kushan/Allied conflict.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I'll leave the answer to that to the original poster of the thread, but just something I wanted to point out: I believe that once Guts' body passes away, he'll have to deal with the Vortex of Souls because of the brand.

G

Gangstap

Well that wouldnt be a happy ending lol... that would be terrible, and now im curious, walter does that mean that you think that might happen? or are you just entertaining his question? If he loses his body and only continues to live in the astral world then its as good as death.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Well that wouldnt be a happy ending lol... that would be terrible, and now im curious, walter does that mean that you think that might happen? or are you just entertaining his question? If he loses his body and only continues to live in the astral world then its as good as death.
Im not saying either way. But it's something that will have to be dealt with one way or another. Either the brand will be eliminated, rendered null and void :void: or something else that hasn't reared its head yet.

I don't see Berserk as pessimistic at all.

To me this story is all about hope and never giving up and overcoming bad stuff.

Despite the sad things that have happened, the story has lightened up quite a bit for Guts. He is comming to terms with himself and everything that has happened, he has friends now, he has a hope of curing Casca.

I don't really see a really depressing ending for this series in the future.

Walter said:
Im not saying either way. But it's something that will have to be dealt with one way or another. Either the brand will be eliminated, rendered null and void :void: or something else that hasn't reared its head yet.

Sorry I neglected to check back on this thread. What if Gut's consciousness was magically integrated into an object.. say an armor. The result would be Guts becoming a lot like the Skullknight. Not the ideal way for Guts to "survive" but if it's his branded body that the Vortex of Souls is after then this could be one solution.

G

Gangstap

There is so much foreshadowing going on here... most of which is quite depressing... as for one, the constant reference of Guts possibly going down same path as the skull knight. That to me would be a very sad ending, but that is my opinion, my ideal ending for Guts would be one with Casca.

Also, the beast inside of him is going to make one more very strong appearance, that is quite obvious, and I know something is going to change because of it. Its going to be a big event in the timeline... we just have to wait and see.

Top Bottom