What would you ask in an interview with Miura?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I recently had the chance opportunity to do an interview with the lead singer of one of my favorite bands and had to come up with some far-reaching questions. It made me wonder what I'd ask Miura.

If you were to secure a real interview with Kentarou Miura, what would be the key questions you'd want answered? These should be fair, realistic questions. Questions that would spoil future events are out the door, since he would never answer those in a realistic scenario.

Here's what I've come up with, but I'd like to brainstorm with the rest of the forum here and see if we can perhaps get them answered in the long term with a letter writing campaign.

BERSERK QUESTIONS
1) Why was Episode 83 left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil before the end of the series?

2) To the readers, Guts as a character has grown tremendously in the past few years, but how much time has elapsed in the Berserk world since the end of the Golden Age arc in Volume 14? (i.e. Lost Children - Millennium Falcon)

3) Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever an conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

4) Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon Arc, you were quoted as saying now the story of Berserk could truly begin. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story?

5) There is a recurring motif of the moon and water in many major elements of the series, such as the Yobimizu no Tsurugi, the reflection of the moon on water allegory espoused by Skull Knight and Slan, the primordial sea of the Abyss, the source of the Beherits and the power of the ocean during a full moon. Were these elements consciously linked or is this a coincidence? Could you describe how you got the germ of the idea?

6) There is a fascinating analog of historical detail between the real world and the world you've created within Berserk . It draws on many different eras of human history, religion and culture, but doesn't necessary subscribe to any one as a default. What sparked your interest in creating a world where realistic histories and timelines converged? (This was already answered in a previous interview shown in the Berserk Illustrations File artbook. Here was his reply: "I decided that creating a story that followed real history would limit my imagination.")

7) You've said that your real-life group of friends in college were the inspiration for the Band of Hawk characters, such as Carcus, Judo and Pippin. Were any of these characters based on you?

8 ) Do you intend to explain or allude to the origins of each God Hand member, or will it be left open?

9) What singular theme would you say Berserk is about?

PERSONAL QUESTIONS
10 ) You have created something truly unique with Berserk. But how many pieces of fan mail do you receive in a given week?

11) Is your workplace separate from your home?

12) Do you keep in contact with any manga-ka in your personal life? If so who, and how did you become friends?

13) Single? :carcus:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
1. Have you ever considered creating an Encyclopedia of the Berserk world?

This would be my main question since I love reading fluff about certain worlds that are well done and well, I think Berserk should get something like that. ... an official one that has all the little facts and what not. Actual maps of all the world and what not. That type of stuff.

Of course I love the SK's encyclopedia, its the best that I know of short of the real thing, if it ever gets made.

- Do you have any plans on making a blog/website/ or becoming a member at a forums that has a Berserk fanbase?
- Are you considering remaking the Berserk anime? possibly in an ova format.

thats all that comes to mind at the moment.

-How much of the story do you have exactly planned out before you begin to draw?

-If you can, could you describe the steps it takes to produce from episode. (From conception to final release)

-Any chance you will ever release some unused ideas for fans to see what could have been? (Character designs, enemies, possible deviations from established story line)

-What volume was the most difficult for you, in terms of deciding where to take the story?

-What music, if any, do you listen to while creating Berserk.

-If you were able to change one thing about Berserk (anything in any medium it has been released in), what would it be?

-It seems you set the bar very high for yourself with the amount of detail we've seen in recent episodes. Readers love and expect this of your artwork. How does it make you feel?

-Any obsessive fan stories?

-Where have you traveled, outside of Japan?

-Any pets?

P.S. Walter, who was the band you interviewed? (PM me not to take away from topic) Great idea for a thread IMO.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Hahaha, I think I can answer of those questions myself guys (because Miura himself already answered them in the past). :p Anyway, great idea for a thread and great idea period. Some comments:

Walter said:
1) Why was Episode 83 left out of the collected volume?

As you know, that was already asked and answered long ago, though I'd approve of asking again for more details.

Walter said:
4) Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon Arc, you were quoted as saying now the story of Berserk could truly begin. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story?

To be exact, he said something along the lines of "With the appearance of Griffith, I have the feeling that I am on the starting line at last."

Walter said:
5) There is a recurring motif of the moon and water in many major elements of the series, such as the Yobimizu no Tsurugi, the reflection of the moon on water allegory espoused by Skull Knight and Slan, the primordial sea of the Abyss, the source of the Beherits and the power of the ocean during a full moon. Were these elements consciously linked or is this a coincidence? Could you describe how you got the germ of the idea?

Now with this one we have to be careful not to confuse ourselves. I personally wouldn't adequate water references to moon ones. For example, Slan doesn't mention the moon when she refers to SK during the Occultation, and it's the power of magic that's enhanced during a full moon, not the ocean's. The ocean itself is still deeply connected to the astral world though. I feel that those are separate issues, but indeed worth of considering. I just wouldn't mix them up as one single topic.

Walter said:
6) There is a fascinating analog of historical detail between the real world and the world you've created within Berserk . It draws on many different eras of human history, religion and culture, but doesn't necessary subscribe to any one as a default. What sparked your interest in creating a world where realistic histories and timelines converged?

In short, Miura's answer to a similar question in the past was that he just used stuff he found cool, regardless of real world historical timelines.

Walter said:
7) You've said that your real-life group of friends in college were the inspiration for the Band of Hawk characters, such as Carcus, Judo and Pippin. Were any of these characters based on you?

He used his own face to create Pippin's.

Proj2501 said:
-What music, if any, do you listen to while creating Berserk.

Susumu Hirasawa. :guts: But that was back then, it'd be worth it to know what he listens to nowadays.

Proj2501 said:
-Any obsessive fan stories?

"Well, there's this French guy..." :troll:

Anyway, aside from my nitpicking I find all those questions great. Many of those listed are also ones that I'd want to ask myself. Additionally, I'd personally ask (and will do so soon as a matter of fact, because it's pissing me off) for a confirmation of name spellings in the Latin alphabet. That'd include the Hawk/Falcon business but also all the character names. But it'd require a list and wouldn't be very adapted to an oral interview. Other than that:

- Do you feel a sense of achievement at what you've accomplished over all those years? Was it worth the sacrifices it required?
- You've talked of post-Berserk projects in the past. Do you still expect to do it, or will you be enjoying retirement after having spent so long working on Berserk?

Bonus supernerd question: You used to play videogames back in the day. Do you still have time for that? What's the last game you've played? What are your thoughts on the industry?

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
I'd like to put my question remembering the original reason of the episode 83 removal from Miura.

-If you said that it was better avoid to depict God or the Devil in some human ways, why the Idea of Evil, that is a purely human God (so fully depictable) has been removed?

In fact that disappointed me, and since Miura didn't remove the last splash page of the Idea in episode 82, and considerig the three episodes named "the shadow of the Idea" I just really cannot find a simple answer.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I know Miura has answered some of these before, but the answers were vague and it's been a while since he was asked them recently, to my knowledge. Id like to see if he'd stick to the same line, or maybe give more detail/insight into his decision making. But yeah, my water/moon/ocean/astral world question is really too big and complicated to capture in one question.

Also, great questions Proj and Aaz, you guys just totally nailed many that I hadn't even thought of but now MUST know the answers to.

Daijyashin said:
In fact that disappointed me, and since Miura didn't remove the last splash page of the Idea in episode 82, and considerig the three episodes named "the shadow of the Idea" I just really cannot find a simple answer.
The simple answer is Miura said he felt the episode gave away too much, too fast.

But there's several more factors to consider, such as the one you mentioned: he showed the Idea of Evil in ep 82, so he was clearly considering implementing it ultimately. My main question stems from the fact that Ep 83 was clearly planned for a while, since its such a culminating moment. So then why, after writing the episode, then drawing it, then publishing it in Young Animal, would it suddenly become too much of a giveaway for the story? The timing of its exclusion just seems strange to me, and it leaves the events in limbo until we get an authoritative yes/no answer as to whether or not the scene is considered canon.

To keep things rolling, I'll add a few more questions to the mix:

- It's been years since the last art book release. Do you plan to release any more based on your sketches and paintings?

- How much does public comment play into the decisions you make in the series? If for example certain characters or scenarios appear unpopular with fans, do you acquiesce to their demands or move forward with your original concept?

- Berserk is now published in at least 5 different languages. Has the weight of being an international success changed the way you approach the series?

Walter said:
- How much does public comment play into the decisions you make in the series? If for example certain characters or scenarios appear unpopular with fans, do you acquiesce to their demands or move forward with your original concept?

I think the real question is,

- Do you stay detached from your fan base or do you try to connect with them in some way?

What I'm saying is, how would Miura even know if something is unpopular with his fans? Hate mail?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly I think the answer is he doesn't actively seek out readers' views, but that's just a feeling I have. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would take offense to some idiot complaining about volume 25 having "too much magic" in it, for example.

If he did keep in contact with a fanbase regularly, you'd think we would have heard of evidence of that on the Japanese BBS's or somewhere else.

Walter said:
Honestly I think the answer is he doesn't actively seek out readers' views, but that's just a feeling I have. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who would take offense to some idiot complaining about volume 25 having "too much magic" in it, for example.

If he did keep in contact with a fanbase regularly, you'd think we would have heard of evidence of that on the Japanese BBS's or somewhere else.

- How much does public comment play into the decisions you make in the series? Most likely not a whole lot. Unless he's the lurker type, which I could easily picture.
I kinda wish Miura had his own blog.. or at least a website. Heck I'd even settle for a sparsely frequented forum. My guess is that he just likes to do his thing and he prefers to stay detached from the fans.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. The reasoning for my question was to get a full on confirmation of what we've already discussed. I'd also like to hear what his thoughts are ON an active community based around his work.

And Miura doesn't strike me as a "blogger," really. In fact, Id be a little embarassed if he kept one. I can see it now...

Bad Cheese. posted by Ken-sama - 10/16/08
"Had cheese today. It was old. Blech. Reminded me of when Joachim ate the baby finger stew during that orgy scene. Note to self. Check dates on cheese before eating."

Come to think of it, that'd be pretty fun stuff :carcus:

Walter said:
Yep. The reasoning for my question was to get a full on confirmation of what we've already discussed. I'd also like to hear what his thoughts are ON an active community based around his work.

And Miura doesn't strike me as a "blogger," really. In fact, Id be a little embarassed if he kept one. I can see it now...

Come to think of it, that'd be pretty fun stuff :carcus:

Well to be honest I'd picture it more along the lines of.

Back from break posted by Ken-sama - 10/16/08
Sorry I was away for the last 6 months. I had to draw more armor.

But you certainly got a major point there. lol
Still, a part of me does wish that Miura-sensei kept some form of connection with his fan base. messages/updates via young animal. Or maybe the best option would be a short text at the end of each episode.

Daijyashin

Walter said:
But there's several more factors to consider, such as the one you mentioned: he showed the Idea of Evil in ep 82, so he was clearly considering implementing it ultimately. My main question stems from the fact that Ep 83 was clearly planned for a while, since its such a culminating moment. So then why, after writing the episode, then drawing it, then publishing it in Young Animal, would it suddenly become too much of a giveaway for the story? The timing of its exclusion just seems strange to me, and it leaves the events in limbo until we get an authoritative yes/no answer as to whether or not the scene is considered canon.

Yes, I agree with you. The timing occultation, considering the whole well planned thing looks strange.
Sometimes I think that Miura intentionally gave to YA the lost episode, knowing that it would never be inserted in the volume 13.

And about other removed things or symbols now comes in my mind the timing of replacing of the crosses above the churches and of the
others, for example put on the crown of the queen of the midlands and so on.

-When you was planning to replace the crosses with the hawks of stone, has this played some role for the lost episode removal?

-How we should consider the sacred tome? It says true and fake things at the same times or there's something we cannot see?

-Apostle beherit looks like to me as the spokesman of the Idea. I think that the whole speech that he made to Luka (except the unique font intentionally used), is truly bound to the Idea's one. Is that a more reason for the episode 83 removal?

Yes I always considered the apostle beherit speech like an evolution of the Idea's one. I think that the true answer from God to mankind is the hawk of light.
Idea just gave its existence as an answer, but the apostle egg, says more and more as we know, in a deeper way analysing the human ego.
Yep, Idea is absolute in describing the human essence, and I think that the two speeches (Idea + Egg) remark that man just doesn't want to be saved (in fact although ancient deals granted magic benefits to men thanks the spirits of nature), but is just craving for a divine reason to live and die, and to be as it is, evil.

X

Xem

Most of the questions I'd ask have already been posted, but to add:

- Why'd you allow Adon's character to take such a huge role in the anime?

- What's your favorite American comic book?

- What's the craziest thing you've ever done?

- Who would you cast in a live-action movie of Berserk?

- How on Earth does Casca maintain a hairless body while being mentally challenged?

Like I said, the main question's I'd ask have already been posted. :carcus:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:

Well, I think what you're pointing out here is that it came as an afterthought. Miura basically changed his mind about it. The question is why. I can think of a few things myself: episode 83 totally de-dramatizes the Idea of Evil, whereas the shot we see of it in episode 82 still impresses me to this day. It's a huge, mysterious monster lurking in the darkness, while in 83 it's just a big heart in the middle of a psychedelic trip. And it does reveal a lot of stuff about the world, considering the turn the story takes on afterwards. I mean when did we learn anything about the world in such detail since then? Volume 24 (and even then, the Idea of Evil stays a mystery). And there's also the fact that it might have detracted from the rest of the Occultation (Guts, Casca and Femto). It shows Griffith as being almost naive next to the Idea of Evil, and then he comes out and rapes Casca as the ultimate antagonist.

In any case, I sure as hell would like to know more about it. :serpico:

Walter said:
It's been years since the last art book release. Do you plan to release any more based on your sketches and paintings?

Oh man yes, that's a must-ask. We want more artbooks! :puck:

Ramen4ever said:
I think the real question is,

- Do you stay detached from your fan base or do you try to connect with them in some way?

What I'm saying is, how would Miura even know if something is unpopular with his fans? Hate mail?

Yeah, the mail he receives is probably his only contact with his fanbase.

Walter said:

Me neither. He really doesn't seem to be the type to me.

Walter said:

Yeah, and to be honest, there aren't many Berserk-centric communities in Japan. And none are nearly as big as SK.net is. He used to reply to the mail he got in the early days, but after that he just had so much he couldn't do it anymore. It's the same for most popular authors.

Ramen4ever said:
Still, a part of me does wish that Miura-sensei kept some form of connection with his fan base. messages/updates via young animal. Or maybe the best option would be a short text at the end of each episode.

But... He does. There's always a small message or comment from him in Young Animal when an episode comes out. He usually doesn't comment during breaks, but there have been exceptions. I'm surprised you didn't know that. I mean I even post what he says in the episode threads from time to time.

Daijyashin said:
-When you was planning to replace the crosses with the hawks of stone, has this played some role for the lost episode removal?

How are the two supposed to be related? He didn't want to include any real world religious symbols from the beginning.

Deci said:
- Why'd you allow Adon's character to take such a huge role in the anime?

He didn't have full control over the animated TV series. I don't think Adon's role was really huge in it anyway, we just see more of him and he's much more of a buffoon.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
How are the two supposed to be related? He didn't want to include any real world religious symbols from the beginning.

I mean that the former crosses could be a more reason for the lost epidode removal, since at that time Miura didn't provide the replacement of crosses with the hawks.
So I was wondering if he, removing the episode with the supreme God, Miura was planning to leave the crosses.

But surely the two things as you said are not related for real.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Daijyashin said:
I mean that the former crosses could be a more reason for the lost epidode removal, since at that time Miura didn't provide the replacement of crosses with the hawks.

There are no Christian crosses in Berserk. None at all. The one on the queen's crown is a different type of cross. And Miura didn't "replace" them with the Falcon symbol, it's just that the fictional religion in Berserk uses that fictional symbol like a real world religion would use real world symbols.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
There are no Christian crosses in Berserk. None at all. The one on the queen's crown is a different type of cross. And Miura didn't "replace" them with the Falcon symbol, it's just that the fictional religion in Berserk uses that fictional symbol like a real world religion would use real world symbols.

Yes infact I didn't mean that there are Christian crosses, and of course there are no crosses with the Christ upon it. I was just speaking in a very general way, where Berserk was defining all the main concepts, even religious.

For example, now comes in my mind another former change, concerning the SK.

-Before to replace the orginal "simple and normal" sword of the SK with the sword with the rose, was you planning to give him the role that today he has? Or the sword wasn't a main focus?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Daijyashin said:
For example, now comes in my mind another former change, concerning the SK.

-Before to replace the orginal "simple and normal" sword of the SK with the sword with the rose, was you planning to give him the role that today he has? Or the sword wasn't a main focus?

SK's sword wasn't replaced, he just covered it in beherit-goo once when the situation called for it. I don't think it changed his role much personally, but that's just me.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
SK's sword wasn't replaced, he just covered it in beherit-goo once when the situation called for it. I don't think it changed his role much personally, but that's just me.

Yes I'm sorry I didn't mean the mess in the Slan's lair. I mean the sword seen in the first SK appearence to Guts, when he makes to the ex hawk that beautiful speech about his doom. In that episode his sword has no top beherit and no rose. is just a simple sword. Infact I edited when I wrote sword of resonance in the post before to avoid misunderstandings.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Daijyashin said:
Yes I'm sorry I didn't mean the mess in the Slan's lair. I mean the sword seen in the first SK appearence to Guts, when he makes to the ex hawk that beautiful speech about his doom. In that episode his sword has no top beherit and no rose. is just a simple sword. Infact I edited when I wrote sword of resonance in the post before to avoid misunderstandings.

Yeah, I saw your edit (and edited my own post to match), which I thought was good because it's not called the "sword of resonance".

About the hilt of SK's sword, since we only see it in one panel in episode 37 it's possible that Miura hadn't thought of its design yet. Or maybe he just forgot to draw the thorns. Such small errors are bound to happen from time to time in large bodies of work like Berserk, and I don't think it means anything about his role in the series. The pommel isn't a beherit though, just a standard knob.

Daijyashin

Aazealh said:
About the hilt of SK's sword, since we only see it in one panel in episode 37 it's possible that Miura hadn't thought of its design yet. Or maybe he just forgot to draw the thorns. Such small errors are bound to happen from time to time in large bodies of work like Berserk, and I don't think it means anything about his role in the series. The pommel isn't a beherit though, just a standard knob.

Yep, infact a primal simple design of his sword, does not necessarely implies a different role thought from Miura to him. My question to sensei, was based on the symbolysm of thorns and the rose, infact as we know, once that SK cover up with melted beherits his sword to escape from that hellish chaos, the thorns also grow up in some circular way near the hilt. So that's why I was wondering if his former simple sword was bound to a not defined role (such as spiritual layer slayer).
However doubt still remain to me.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
To wrap this whole thing up, I'd like to pick the best questions to have professionally translated and addressed to Miura, along with a small preamble about our involved Berserk community.

Here's my picks:
1) To the readers, Guts as a character has grown tremendously in the past few years, but how much time has elapsed in the Berserk world since the end of the Golden Age arc in Volume 14? (i.e. Lost Children - Millennium Falcon)

2) Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

3) Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon arc, you were quoted as saying now you felt you were truly on the starting line of the series. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story at this point?

4) It's been years since the last art book release. There may now be enough content for 2-3 additional books. Do you plan to release any more based on your sketches and paintings?

5) What portion of the story was the most difficult in terms of making hard decisions on where to take the direction of the series? Any regrets?

6) You've talked of post-Berserk projects in the past. Do you still expect to do it, or will you be enjoying retirement after having spent so long working on Berserk?

7) Do you feel a sense of achievement at what you've accomplished over all those years? Was it worth the sacrifices to your life and health it has required?

As for the preamble, it's something I'd like to polish over time, but I'll post it here when I get it in a format I'm happy with.

Please pick your 5 favorite questions in the thread and post them here. I want to get a good consensus of what you guys think is important.

Daijyashin

Well, it's hard to choose just 5 questions, but I'll put my picks:

1) Regarding the kanji "Taka," do you intend that to be Falcon or Hawk? Was there ever a conscious change in its usage, such as after Griffith's reincarnation, or has it always been "falcon" to you?

2) Just before the launch of the Millennium Falcon arc, you were quoted as saying now you felt you were truly on the starting line of the series. Is that accurate? If that is the case, how far along are we in the story at this point?

3) You've talked of post-Berserk projects in the past. Do you still expect to do it, or will you be enjoying retirement after having spent so long working on Berserk?

4) Why was Episode 83 left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil before the end of the series?

5) How much does public comment play into the decisions you make in the series? If for example certain characters or scenarios appear unpopular with fans, do you acquiesce to their demands or move forward with your original concept?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Please pick your 5 favorite questions in the thread and post them here. I want to get a good consensus of what you guys think is important.

I like the questions you chose for the most part, they're the essential stuff. However I'd add this one: "Can we have some more details on why Episode 83 was left out of the collected volume? Do you consider the events in the episode to be canon? Can we expect to see or hear from the Idea of Evil again before the end of the series?"

Top Bottom