Next-gen Castlevania for PS3, 360

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2008/10/10/konami-shows-new-castlevania-game-targets-dmc-fans

Konami has unveiled a new Castlevania title that will for the first time bring a new iteration of the franchise to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game was unveiled this week in Tokyo at TGS 2008 and 1UP snagged a few screens. Details are all but non-existent: the inaugural teaser trailer showed only Dracula himself holding a flaming sword with a backdrop of a giant full moon and his infamous keep. Whether the game will be 2D or 3D is unclear, but the trailer itself was 3D CG bearing an art style reminiscent of previous games in the franchise.
This was the first I'd heard of the game and it's been posted for nearly a week.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Haha you think the news got by ME? I was going to start the topic a while back but the video I seen was very short. So I decided I was going to wait until the first trailer came out. Anyway, that looks more like Alucard than Drac. This could be interesting, thanks Walter.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
Anyway, that looks more like Alucard than Drac.
Yep, I agree completely. I thought, Dracula? I don't think so... I'd know that upturned collar anywhere!

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
This new title should be called: signs of the last age.

Sincerely I hope it will be a 2.5D like the remake for PSP.
Because, as Higarashi said he knows that the essence of castlevania lies in 2D.
A fully 3D title would be a kind of Devil May Cry and so on.
Moreover I'm not confident in a remake of SOTN because as Higa said it would be extremely expensive and requires a lot of time.
On the other hand I hope they wouldn't use the greatness of Alucard for a bad title.

I didn't like a lot the 3D experiences but I hope this will be the first one I really enjoy. Iga said something like : "I will pursue to try Castlevania in 3D until I satisfiy everyone". That's exactly what we expect from him/the franchise.

For 2D Castlevania, there's OoE in a week :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Daijyashin said:
Sincerely I hope it will be a 2.5D like the remake for PSP.

I'd rather have it in pure 2D then, because I really don't dig the 2.5D style they gave Rondo on the PSP. I think they can do something good in 3D though.

Daijyashin said:
Moreover I'm not confident in a remake of SOTN because as Higa said it would be extremely expensive and requires a lot of time.

And most importantly it wouldn't be interesting at all. SOTN really doesn't need a remake.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
Aazealh said:
I'd rather have it in pure 2D then, because I really don't dig the 2.5D style they gave Rondo on the PSP. I think they can do something good in 3D though.

Yes, of course the 2.5D style is not that incredible enhancement, or something that anyway could grant a good gameplay to original Alucard's one or to any other Belmont.
I was just considering that between a normal 2D title, that as we know it would nerver be released on last generation console and fearing a bad 3D game as Curse of Darkness(and in my opinion Lament of innocence was terribly better) a 2.5D style could be something good at last.

Aazealh said:
And most importantly it wouldn't be interesting at all. SOTN really doesn't need a remake.

That is true.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Honestly I'd rather have it be a full fledged 3d enviornment. I get new 2d Castlevania games pretty steadily, let's mix it up some more! I'm interested to see how CV would look on the new hardware.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
I hope they really try something new with this game. CoD was pretty much the same combat system as LoI (and Nanobreaker for that matter). I'd like a lock on based system like DMC or Ninja Gaiden rather than having to manually control the direction of my attacks. God of War could get away with that only because your attacks hit such a wide area. Giving the backdrops some real attention would be nice too, cut and pasted hallways and rooms are a no-go these days.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Vaxillus said:
I hope they really try something new with this game. CoD was pretty much the same combat system as LoI (and Nanobreaker for that matter). I'd like a lock on based system like DMC or Ninja Gaiden rather than having to manually control the direction of my attacks. God of War could get away with that only because your attacks hit such a wide area. Giving the backdrops some real attention would be nice too, cut and pasted hallways and rooms are a no-go these days.

It's been a while but I remember CoD having a lock on combat system, or was that just for stealing items? I have to agree that during some of the longer combos I ended up hitting air more than monsters.

Top Bottom