Dead Space

Am I the only one who waiting for/buy this game ? :schierke: And As I expected the game is really great. The atmosphere is amazing due to the amazing work on the sound effects, the game design and level design are subtle and detail. And more important, it's been a long longtime since I was so frightened by a game.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Handsome Rakshas has been playing it as well, and we've talked about it before. I haven't tried it yet but I plan to at some point. There's just a lot of games I mean to play and I don't have a lot of time for it.

handsome rakshas said:
It's pretty good so far, kind of a Resident Evil 4 in space. The gameplay is pretty tight and responds well, aiming is very easy. There's currency which you use to buy new items and power nodes used to upgrade your suit, weapons, and special abilities. Monsters are very reminiscent of The Thing and pop out to scare the hell out of you quite often. There is a lot of backtracking so far but the game sends you to new levels pretty often. I'm on level three and I haven't fought a boss creature yet. :judo:

Can't wait to see your impressions on that :guts:

Thanks for the quote Aaz. It's exactly and obviously what I found in that game too. I'm in the end of level 2 and every apparence (the way the appear and simply their presence) of those monsters scare the hell out of me.

Upgrade system is really cool and simple. I'm impress by the whole package but definitly,the dev team have raise the level in the genre in term of rigour and immersion. So, during every presentations, they said the game will be very special and we can say that's correct.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I like any game that has an item store where you can buy and sell items. This game feels so much like Resident Evil 4, it's almost like I feel like I'm playing the game just to buy new items and not advance the story. The story is your humdrum "We've lost contact with so and so, lets go check out and...OH SHIT MONSTERS!" I don't feel like I'm accomplishing anything in the game as the whole thing is going somewhere and pushing this button then going to another thing and activating that type deal. The gameplay and shooting is great and the severing monsters limbs is fun. (though repetitive) Plenty of weapons that are pretty neat (my fave is still the standard pistol) and upgrades to keep you busy for a couple playthroughs. The first boss was really damn cool and the second boss you have to fight in a shooter type sequence behind the ship's cannon. I like it so far but it's not a keeper, I'll probably hock it after my first playthrough. Fallout 3 is coming out soon and for me Order of Ecclesia is coming out. Good game but not fantastic.

It's the kind of game you will enjoy a lot but not the one which mark you forever.
At this point, I had the choice to buy some cool weapon but like in every resident evil(-like), I prefer to keep (as long as I can) the challenge intact. So I only use the basic weapon. But I upgrade the suit :serpico:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I've been upgrading the suit too. Theres also a free downloadable suit exclusive to both PS3 and XBOX networks. But beware, if you put it on you can't take it off and it will kill some the trophies if you're keen on achievements. But hell yeah man, the pistol rocks. I used to go through RE4 with a maxed out Red 9.

handsome rakshas said:
I used to go through RE4 with a maxed out Red 9.

Yeah me too, that's a good way to keep challenge "comrade" :void:

Oh thanks man for warning me. Honestly I totally forgot about this special suit. Beyond the aestetic, is there a special ability ?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Ryouma said:
Yeah me too, that's a good way to keep challenge "comrade" :void:

Oh thanks man for warning me. Honestly I totally forgot about this special suit. Beyond the aestetic, is there a special ability ?

The PS3 suit looks really cool, but it is worse in inventory and armor than a maxed out rig you can aquire in game. So as you said it's pretty much aesthetically pleasing and not much else.

The first impression I had when I started the game was the same when I played through System Shock 2 . That's precisely the example I had in mind when I said it's been a longtime since a game scare the hell out of me.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Got the game myself and I'm loving it. I also got the preorder art book, which is pretty cool. It even comes with 3D GLASSES!

Anyways, haven't had much time to play it, but I've been waiting for a game like this for quite a while. I was really disapointed when I played the The Thing game, so this is pushing all the right buttons for me. I intend to keep it, dismemberment is too much fun. I think there's more too it than just an RE4 clone. So far, amunition hasn't been as much of an issue as battle tactics. The waepons are also much more diverse. Still really impressed that this game came from EA. The concept and mood are excellent, the gameplay is tight, and it really succeeds at what it tries to do.

BTW, haven't added the Scorpion Suit (360 SE rig) but now that I know it eats into achievements I might wait. Supposedly, it is better than the other ones you can purchase in-game.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Just finished with the game and I must say overall I was pleased with it. The final boss was really frickin' easy though, and the ending was pretty short. Overall a good game and I recommend it to others. Now onto Castlevania!

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Hey Handsome, do you keep games for replay value or would you be interested in selling Dead Space to me? (would need the 360 version) I gots Berserk swag to sweeten deals... :carcus:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Lithrael said:
Hey Handsome, do you keep games for replay value or would you be interested in selling Dead Space to me? (would need the 360 version) I gots Berserk swag to sweeten deals... :carcus:

Well that's a sweet offer there sweetheart but I only have the PS3 version which is currently on Ebay. If it was the 360 version I would yoink it off Ebay and sell it to you cheap because you're the best ever.

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
Aw! Shucks. Thanks Handsome. Good luck w/ your auction.

Apologies to the thread for the derail. I'll make it up to you guys by posting a review whenever I get it.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I was going to start playing Chrono Trigger or TJ and Earl but I have a hankerin' to play something current gen. As much as I ragged on Silent Hill Homecoming I actually wouldn't mind playing through that again. Same with this game, I got an itch to go through it again. I may borrow my bud's copy. I seen you guys talking about and thought I'd bump the ol' thread. I may play through it with you guys, it was fun times!

Top Bottom