Zodd vs Skull Knight

G

Gangstap

I have read at many various places that Zodd and Skull Knight are even in combat, but if im not mistaken they only fight once (actually fight til someone is claimed loser). And that fight has Skull Knight coming out on top, I understand that Zodd is immortal, but if his head is cut off, i believe he would die off. So is it just me, or is the Skull Knight not more powerful than Zodd?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
I have read at many various places that Zodd and Skull Knight are even in combat, but if im not mistaken they only fight once (actually fight til someone is claimed loser).

They've also fought before Griffith's incarnation in Albion, and at Flora's place, but we didn't see the outcome. And they've presumably fought many times prior to the story's beginning. I personally like to think that SK is at least slightly superior in combat (Rickert thought so as well when he saw them fighting outside the Occultation ceremony), but a reasonable argument against it is that Zodd's still alive after all those fights. It means that either SK doesn't want to kill him or simply can't do it. I think both are plausible hypotheses.

Gangstap said:
I understand that Zodd is immortal, but if his head is cut off, i believe he would die off.

Zodd isn't truly immortal, that's just a nickname he has.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Gangstap said:
And that fight has Skull Knight coming out on top, I understand that Zodd is immortal, but if his head is cut off, i believe he would die off. So is it just me, or is the Skull Knight not more powerful than Zodd?

Well, there can be only one...

G

Gangstap

Well, as far as we know that one time they fought out front of the vortex, could have been the first time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Well, as far as we know that one time they fought out front of the vortex, could have been the first time.

They fought in front of a tornado. This is the Vortex of Souls:

Vortex.jpg

And from the dialog and other hints about them knowing each other, it seems unlikely that it was the first time they fought.

My hypothesis is that there is no reason for SK to kill Zodd, beside killing him wouldnt be easy at all despite being slightly more superior in combat

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Aazealh said:
They fought in front of a tornado.

I'd like to toss in a small point: While it's a little misleading in the context of Berserk, the word vortex does work. Tornados are a type of vortex. However, since this is Berserk, its important to make the distinction between the Vortex of Souls and a "normal" vortex.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
I'd like to toss in a small point: While it's a little misleading in the context of Berserk, the word vortex does work. Tornados are a type of vortex.

Yes, but they're not "the" Vortex, which is what Gangstap said. Even then, it may have only been a coincidence, but my gut feeling tells me otherwise. The word is indeed misleading in the context, and I'd rather not take the risk of people getting confused about it.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
I'd like to agree with SK having a slight edge in combat. The first time we see them fight, Zodd ended up looking much worse for wear(having lost an arm of his, though he would re-attach it moments after.) Each time they fought, it seemed that Zodd was a formidable opponent, but ultimately served the function of impediment, Zodd himself has said something to the effect of "I'm the only one who could hold you." Not to say that Zodd is just a wall, but that seemed to be his main objective in each confrontation that has been known to us, but I still believe that if it came to a full fledged death match, Skull Knight could kill Zodd.

I think the interesting thing between Zodd and Sk is that it's usually Zodd who wants to fight. Sk on the other hand is capable of just cutting off Zodd's hands then going about his business. If Sk truly wanted to kill Zodd, then the best time would be when Zodd is missing a limb or two. Yet Sk doesn't do it, which is strange considering that Sk hunts apostles. Zodd is also strange for an apostle because we never see him eat humans. Not to mention that he did not attend the eclipse and instead was guarding the entrance.

One thing that may be relevant is what Sk says when he fails to kill the beherit apostle. Something about how he's still hesitating or that it's not yet time to kill him. I forget the exact translation and text for volume 20 is not available in the translation section.
I believe the incident is in Volume 20 episode 160 if anyone is interested and wants to know.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Sk on the other hand is capable of just cutting off Zodd's hands then going about his business.

Yet he couldn't get past him to kill the lesser apostles that were sent to get Flora's head in volume 26.

Ramen4ever said:
Not to mention that he did not attend the eclipse and instead was guarding the entrance.

He wasn't guarding anything, he was waiting for SK! :zodd:

Ramen4ever said:
One thing that may be relevant is what Sk says when he fails to kill the beherit apostle. Something about how he's still hesitating or that it's not yet time to kill him. I forget the exact translation and text for volume 20 is not available in the translation section.

You pretty much said it. He says he hesitated, and that maybe it isn't the time to kill him yet.

Aazealh said:
Yet he couldn't get past him to kill the lesser apostles that were sent to get Flora's head in volume 26.

Well he didn't even try. From what I remember, all that happened is that Zodd transformed, they exchanged a few attacks then they spent practically the rest of the time watching Guts after he put on the Berserk's armor.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Well he didn't even try. From what I remember, all that happened is that Zodd transformed, they exchanged a few attacks then they spent practically the rest of the time watching Guts after he put on the Berserk's armor.

SK tried to get past and Zodd threw the corpse of an apostle he had killed in his way to stop him. Then SK turned around and they fought for a little while (exchanging more than just a few attacks, though we don't get to see the fight in its entirety).

G

Gangstap

Aazealh said:
He wasn't guarding anything, he was waiting for SK! :zodd:

Hmm if im not mistaken, that is when Zodd was guarding the entrance; SK even mentioned it to him. Also, I got the sense that that fight created the animosity in Zodd's heart for revenge on SK.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Hmm if im not mistaken, that is when Zodd was guarding the entrance; SK even mentioned it to him.

You are mistaken. Zodd denies that he's guarding it.

Gangstap said:
Also, I got the sense that that fight created the animosity in Zodd's heart for revenge on SK.

You're mistaken again. Zodd specifically states that he had been waiting for SK to show up in order to fight him. If you look at their exchange, it's pretty clear they've known each other for a long time.

G

Gangstap

Hmm i see, i just remember a few EPISODES after that one, Zodd is sitting down and starts thinking about SK. So I thought that that fight sparked that realization.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Hmm i see, i just remember a few EPISODES after that one, Zodd is sitting down and starts thinking about SK. So I thought that that fight sparked that realization.
If you're referring to the scene just before Zodd encounters the Falcon of Light in the dream, that's actually 4 full volumes and at least 2 years in the Berserk world since their sparring outside the Eclipse.

And there's really no genuine animosity between the two. I mean, Zodd even lets the Skull Knight escape with Guts and Casca as basically a favor.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Zodd is sitting down and starts thinking about SK.

He's thinking about his goal of fighting strong people, and that out of all those he's ever fought, only SK has been worthy. Then the Falcon appears and instantaneously defeats him.

G

Gangstap

Defeated him in a dream it seemed, but then when he came to, one of his horns was missing and blood was gushing down his face. Makes me wonder what kind of power Griffith has, so far we've seen him defeat Zodd, disappear after a volley of arrows were shot at him, and defeat Ganishka. Does he honestly need all that help from the apostles? Also, how do you guys think he stacks up against SK? If I remember correctly, he attacked SK during the Eclipse and to no effect.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Also, how do you guys think he stacks up against SK? If I remember correctly, he attacked SK during the Eclipse and to no effect.
SK would be totally outclassed. They're on completely different levels. Also, that's a pretty gross misinterpretation of what happened at the Eclipse. Femto smashed the bodies of apostles into a ball, but missed SK. Probably because he was still learning how to use the power. It certainly had an effect.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
SK would be totally outclassed. They're on completely different levels.

Probably. We still haven't seen much of Griffith's powers though, and SK's ambition being to destroy the God Hand, he might not be completely helpless. :SK:

Walter said:
Also, that's a pretty gross misinterpretation of what happened at the Eclipse. Femto smashed the bodies of apostles into a ball, but missed SK. Probably because he was still learning how to use the power.

Or maybe SK dodged the attack? I don't think there's a way to tell for sure.

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
Aazealh said:
Or maybe SK dodged the attack? I don't think there's a way to tell for sure.

Yeah I've been wondering about that scene for the longest, I'm just not sure how to interpret that look Femto had on his face as he looked at his hand... It was as if he was thinking,"What the hell?" Whether that was, "What the hell? How did I do that?" or "What the hell? How did I miss him?" either way it seems to be left to interpretation for now. Or maybe Femto (even though while Griffith is Femto he's basically pure evil) had a moment of humanity and was unable to strike SK down while he carried Casca and Guts, who knows?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
Yeah I've been wondering about that scene for the longest, I'm just not sure how to interpret that look Femto had on his face as he looked at his hand... It was as if he was thinking,"What the hell?" Whether that was, "What the hell? How did I do that?" or "What the hell? How did I miss him?" either way it seems to be left to interpretation for now. 
But in that specific panel, Femto doesn't "miss" He either hesitates, or was unable to use his power for a moment. My money is on hesitation.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
Yeah I've been wondering about that scene for the longest, I'm just not sure how to interpret that look Femto had on his face as he looked at his hand... It was as if he was thinking,"What the hell?" Whether that was, "What the hell? How did I do that?" or "What the hell? How did I miss him?" either way it seems to be left to interpretation for now. Or maybe Femto (even though while Griffith is Femto he's basically pure evil) had a moment of humanity and was unable to strike SK down while he carried Casca and Guts, who knows?

We're not talking about the same scene. The scene where he aims his hand at him fruitlessly comes right after the one I was talking about. My personal take on it is that Femto lost a second before attacking by looking at Guts and Casca's bodies on the horse, and then it was too late for him to strike.

Top Bottom