Episode 298

Thank you Scanbot!The episode is truely epic indeed and I'm speachless about the artwork I'd almost forgot how beautiful Berserk can be(Charlotte's drawings are especially beautiful she seem so "royale" to my eyes)...thank you once again anyway!

Thanks a billion,Scanbot. Your contributions are always appreciated.

It seems a little bit not fluent to combine with the last episode which was finished at the scene of appearing of the Falcon of Light.

But after seeing this episode, i do understand why Miura spend so much time between 297 to 298.

Cant's wait for the EP299. LoL

X

Xem

I've been having a lot of fun flipping through this episode, noticing characters mostly. Foss and his children, for example, I didn't notice the first time around. Also somehow I missed Locus in the final spread at first, fuck knows how.

But the real treat was this guy!
lunapic122505589312309tq7.png

If anyone's gonna shit talk about Griffith I imagine he'll be the one. :ganishka:

blueberserk said:
It seems a little bit not fluent to combine with the last episode which was finished at the scene of appearing of the white light hawk.

Good point. May be it is the case then that the Falcon of Light is only being seen by uber-Ganishka and no one else. In that case all the people should be able to see the true forms of all the apostles "unleashing their evil".

Question of scale.... Zodd seems to be smaller then the one he is figthing/tearing apart on the last page but you can clearly see a few apostles that are bigger than the ganishka-spawns (I'll call them ganishkees). So I guess the ganishkees come in all sizes too except that they all look the same. Also I don't see any casualties on the hawk side on the last panel.

Its a tribute to Miura's excellent sketching and imagination that despite the grotesqueness and monstrosity of the ganishkees, they still bear a stark resemblence to the original Ganishka. Totally awesome... I hope Miura is back with a vengeance.

MaN said:
Good point. May be it is the case then that the Falcon of Light is only being seen by uber-Ganishka and no one else. In that case all the people should be able to see the true forms of all the apostles "unleashing their evil".

I guess this scene just like what has happened in the past episode where Zodd's horn was cut by the same shape of the Falcon. That's maybe only a substantial cousciousness.

This bloody banquet looks like another eclipse. Expecting what's going on after this war of monster.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
MaN said:
I'm not seeing your logic here. Could you explain it a little more clearly? Ganishka right now is deeply connected to the astral plane and can feasibly see things not in the physical world, similar to the many instances we've seen throughout the series, including looking through the eyes of Schierke looking through Guts' eyes in the armor. But I don't see how that has anything to do with what the common people see here.

blueberserk said:
I guess this scene just like what has happened in the past episode where Zodd's horn was cut by the same shape of the Falcon.
Again, I don't see why that's necessarily the case. It's not like anyone here has fallen asleep as it's implied Zodd was during that scene in vol 17. That scene was "between dream and reality." But for this, I think you're jumping on the jump-to-conclusions mat too soon my friend.  :badbone:

In an effort to move the thread forward, nothing has yet been said regarding what the Mini-Ganishkas (Chibiskhas) are chanting: "Gather... food." It could  simply be their zombie-like appetite to devour everything, but it could also be the beginnings of something different. They could be carrying out a function rather than just be fodder for the Apostle Army.

Perhaps when they gather enough corpses, they'll begin to grow and change, similar to what happened with the ghosts at the reincarnation ceremony in Albion.

Walter said:
Perhaps when they gather enough corpses, they'll begin to grow and change, similar to what happened with the ghosts at the reincarnation ceremony in Albion.

I'm not so sure. I think the Chibishkas are simply entities suddenly thrust into existence and are solely out to nourish themselves...by, well, killing everything; including Griffith and his army.
They obviously bear a resemblance to Ganishka and there's most likely a little bit of him within all of them, they may instinctively know Griffith is the enemy.
I'd hate to say, but I think they are just fodder, for now at least. But, we'll have to wait and see. :ganishka:

Thx for the EPISODE, but am I the only one who was sort of dissapointed by this one? I was sort of expecting...more, after such a long time. There isn't that much happening and the artwork isn't as complicated or refined as some others either..

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Shadax said:
Thx for the EPISODE, but am I the only one who was sort of dissapointed by this one? I was sort of expecting...more, after such a long time. There isn't that much happening and the artwork isn't as complicated or refined as some others either..
It sounds like you're thinking of things a little too narrowly, a little too small picture. This is the launch of the offensive, and sets the stage for the rest of the action to come. Try not to think of the episodes as islands into themselves -- look at them next to the larger scope of the previous eps and those that follow it.

I will say this episode felt short, but that's only because it has so many 2-page spreads.

Walter said:
Ganishka right now is deeply connected to the astral plane and can feasibly see things not in the physical world, similar to the many instances we've seen throughout the series, including looking through the eyes of Schierke looking through Guts' eyes in the armor.

If we assume that Ganishka sees Griffith as a being of bright white light, as he did before in the throne room, do you think that during the final blow, Griffith will defeat him as a penetrating light in the astral world? Will Griffith undergo any physical transformation visible to the common people? I'm really interested to see how Miura shows this battle, because I can't imagine Griffith defeating the giant Ganishka monster with his sword. I'd also be a bit disappointed if Ganishka were defeated by way of "spiritual evaporation" of sorts. Would I be the only one?

Also, thanks a million for the scans and the translations: you made my day! I seriously had a joygasm when I saw that the new episode was posted. ^_^

Azaelian said:
Will Griffith undergo any physical transformation visible to the common people? I'm really interested to see how Miura shows this battle, because I can't imagine Griffith defeating the giant Ganishka monster with his sword. I'd also be a bit disappointed if Ganishka were defeated by way of "spiritual evaporation" of sorts. Would I be the only one?

Would this be satisfactory?

Honestly at this point it's quite impossible to guess. Griffith might just lift his hand and that could be it. Maybe he will summon a huge storm that will make the leaning tower of Ganishka topple. We have seen that Griffith can move incredibly fast and .. more or less defy physics even when he's on his horse. He might gallop up Ganishka's leg and stab him in the chest or head. Or maybe all he would need to do is touch him somewhere on his body. Maybe Griffith will ride Zodd like Guts did and fly right through him. Or Griffith might literally transform into the Falcon of Light. Another possibility is that he will create a projection of his astral being and everyone will see the Falcon of Light appear and fly through Ganishka. Much like in everyone's dream. There are too many possibilities.

Personally I don't really care, so long as it doesn't go something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bSefSLaPFs
Edit: Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgls27t3m7Y

Oh and welcome to the forums Azaelian. :serpico:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm thinking it will visually involve the Falcon of Light to some extent - just based on everyone's dream and the REPEATED references to the Falcon throughout the past 65 episodes. Then again, the pontiff has already declared Griffith as THE Falcon of Light, so maybe the imagery was indeed meant to be figurative afterall.

Yet more food for thought, perhaps what Ganishka sees at the end of 297 was a flash-forward of sorts, with 298's events leading up into the Falcon spreading its wings.

We'll soon find out for sure.

Ramen4ever said:
Honestly at this point it's quite impossible to guess. [...] Another possibility is that he will create a projection of his astral being and everyone will see the Falcon of Light appear and fly through Ganishka. Much like in everyone's dream. There are too many possibilities.

Personally I don't really care, so long as it doesn't go something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bSefSLaPFs
Edit: Or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgls27t3m7Y

Oh and welcome to the forums Azaelian. :serpico:

Haha, thanks for the welcome! ^_^

You all are probably right, I'm sure it'll involve the falcon (and not the hawk, for whatever reason) in some respect, but from what I've read of Berserk so far, I'm sure it's not something that we'll be able to predict within a minutes speculation: Miura is an imaginative author, always creating twists that leave me surprised and awed. I can't wait to see how this battle ends, but it's the aftermath that especially piques my interest.

All of these people are following Griffith blindly like 'white sheep'; I would absolutely love to see :puck: say something along the lines of "Oh, what fools these mortals be!" =P (Shakespeare allusion)

There are also a few more ideas that this episode has brought to my mind... Sonia, having the gift of foresight, is still following Griffith as blindly as the other humans. Will she ever have a premonition that warns of his dark intentions, or will her powers not work against him because he's a member of Godhand? Just how long will Griffith play the role of savior before he reveals his wicked beginnings, if ever? Hehehe, I'll probably go to the speculation threads and play with these ideas.

Oh... November 14th, hurry up and come!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
A quick side note to the discussion, but there's a small exhibition of Miura's work taking place in a shop in Akiba to celebrate the release of volume 33. Here are some pictures of it:

Miura-Exhibition-Akiba01.jpg
Miura-Exhibition-Akiba02.jpg
Miura-Exhibition-Akiba03.jpg

And of course, let that serve as a reminder to everyone that you should be buying volume 33 if you haven't already done so. :miura:

blueberserk said:
It seems a little bit not fluent to combine with the last episode which was finished at the scene of appearing of the Falcon of Light.

Yeah, I actually thought about the possibility of the episode order changing in the volume. I'm not sure it'd flow well though: a few elements would make the move a bit clumsy if they weren't changed. It could also be that only Ganishka can see the light. He's seen Griffith as being made of light during their previous encounter in Vritannis, so it's possible.

MaN said:
Question of scale.... Zodd seems to be smaller then the one he is figthing/tearing apart on the last page but you can clearly see a few apostles that are bigger than the ganishka-spawns (I'll call them ganishkees). So I guess the ganishkees come in all sizes too except that they all look the same

Yeah, it's clear they come in different shapes and sizes.

Walter said:
In an effort to move the thread forward, nothing has yet been said regarding what the Mini-Ganishkas (Chibiskhas) are chanting: "Gather... food." It could simply be their zombie-like appetite to devour everything, but it could also be the beginnings of something different. They could be carrying out a function rather than just be fodder for the Apostle Army.

Hmm, I don't know, they seem rather mindless. I think their comment was related to the soldiers left alive after Ganishka's stomping, expressing an immediate desire for food.

Azaelian said:
If we assume that Ganishka sees Griffith as a being of bright white light, as he did before in the throne room, do you think that during the final blow, Griffith will defeat him as a penetrating light in the astral world? Will Griffith undergo any physical transformation visible to the common people? I'm really interested to see how Miura shows this battle, because I can't imagine Griffith defeating the giant Ganishka monster with his sword. I'd also be a bit disappointed if Ganishka were defeated by way of "spiritual evaporation" of sorts. Would I be the only one?

Well it's hard to imagine Ganishka being defeated by anything else than Griffith's power, unless of course he dies of his own due to his inability to harness the power he's gathered or something similar. I think it's reasonable to expect a show of power of some sort from Griffith.

Ramen4ever said:
Honestly at this point it's quite impossible to guess. Griffith might just lift his hand and that could be it. Maybe he will summon a huge storm that will make the leaning tower of Ganishka topple. We have seen that Griffith can move incredibly fast and .. more or less defy physics even when he's on his horse. He might gallop up Ganishka's leg and stab him in the chest or head. Or maybe all he would need to do is touch him somewhere on his body. Maybe Griffith will ride Zodd like Guts did and fly right through him.

Those possibilities don't sound very likely though.

Azaelian said:
You all are probably right, I'm sure it'll involve the falcon (and not the hawk, for whatever reason)

For the reason they wouldn't be able to do anything to Ganishka?

Azaelian said:
There are also a few more ideas that this episode has brought to my mind... Sonia, having the gift of foresight, is still following Griffith as blindly as the other humans. Will she ever have a premonition that warns of his dark intentions, or will her powers not work against him because he's a member of Godhand?

I don't think it's fair to compare her to normal people. In many ways she understands the nature of Griffith better than other people. We don't know how her power works though, so it's indeed difficult to say why she doesn't realize he's really "evil" and all that.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, some great shots I don't think I've ever seen, notably the one with Farnese in the moonlight. Miura definitely needs to release another artbook, damnit!

I wonder if there is a possibility of another eclipse at the end of this battle. I don't see any real reason since femto is already reincarnated (or whatever you want to call it) as the hawk but it would be a grand climax to the ensuing events. Plus we don't know much about Ganiskha's past, his beherit (I am assuming he has one) and I can see a 5 episode flashback about his past as he lays defeated, pleading to god hand. On the flip side the fact that Griffith wants to protect the pontiff and Charlotte works against this scenario :???:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
Wow, some great shots I don't think I've ever seen, notably the one with Farnese in the moonlight.

It's Serpico, and it's included as a poster in volume 30. It's also been available as one of our avatars for 2 years and a half. :serpico:

Serpico02.jpg

Anyway, the need for new artbooks is definitely here, and overwhelmingly so. I just don't understand why it doesn't happen.

MaN said:
I wonder if there is a possibility of another eclipse at the end of this battle. I don't see any real reason since femto is already reincarnated (or whatever you want to call it) as the hawk but it would be a grand climax to the ensuing events.

Why would there be an Eclipse? Since the time wouldn't be right and there wouldn't be a need (God Hand already complete), what would it account for? Who would sacrifice what and what for? This idea just seems far-fetched to me.

MaN said:
Plus we don't know much about Ganiskha's past, his beherit (I am assuming he has one) and I can see a 5 episode flashback about his past as he lays defeated, pleading to god hand.

So you think he still has a beherit with him somewhere? On that giant body? And that he'd call for the God Hand like the Count after being defeated by one of its members? That'd be rather against his character, and in his current state I doubt the God Hand would or could do anything for him. Seriously, look at what he's become. I just can't imagine what you're suggesting happening.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Aazealh said:
It's Serpico, and it's included as a poster in volume 30. It's also been available as one of our avatars for 2 years and a half. :serpico:
Ahh, I always forget about the posters. I don't have the GUTS to take them out of the manga, so I just look at them once and then they just stay folded up.

puella

Berserk forever
Aazealh said:
A quick side note to the discussion, but there's a small exhibition of Miura's work taking place in a shop in Akiba to celebrate the release of volume 33. Here are some pictures of it:

Thank you for the information. :SK:
In addition, they say the illustrations will be changed during the exhibition's duration (which started on October 24).

SimplyEd

エンシェント カタストロフィ
puella said:
Thank you for the information. :SK:
In addition, they say the illustrations will be changed during the exhibition's duration (which started on October 24).

I wish there were more pictures on the yodobasi akiba site. Let's see if i can find more stuff on some blogs.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
MaN said:
I wonder if there is a possibility of another eclipse at the end of this battle. I don't see any real reason since femto is already reincarnated (or whatever you want to call it) as the hawk but it would be a grand climax to the ensuing events. Plus we don't know much about Ganiskha's past, his beherit (I am assuming he has one) and I can see a 5 episode flashback about his past as he lays defeated, pleading to god hand. On the flip side the fact that Griffith wants to protect the pontiff and Charlotte works against this scenario :???:.

I think that a vortex of souls would come out... well depending how Ganishka is taken care of. If he is physically brought down and reverts to what ever his true form is, then I can see the Vortex of souls making a come back, which is more plausible since Ganishka went into the other layers with out anyone's permission (:idea:).

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
which is more plausible since Ganishka went into the other layers with out anyone's permission (:idea:).

Somehow I doubt Ganishka actually went against the will of the Idea of Evil. Whats more likely is that he is just a pawn in the grand scheme of things.
And of more interest, why did Griffith push Ganishka to this extreme? He could of killed him effortlessly at their last meeting. The conflict would of been over instantly, with only clean up remaining in Wyndham.
Griffith has repeatedly used the tactic of cutting of the head of an army. It was a part of his plan at Doldrey, he did it again when he killed that guy who Silat was reporting to and yet again when he killed the leader of that army of 5000 Kushan. Just before he met with Mule. So why did he not kill Ganishka as well at their previous encounter? :griff:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Somehow I doubt Ganishka actually went against the will of the Idea of Evil. Whats more likely is that he is just a pawn in the grand scheme of things.
I believe Saiya just meant Ganishka bypassed the normal transportation method with his own, reckless, passing on the left maneuver, and the cops might pull him over.

So why did he not kill Ganishka as well at their previous encounter?  :griff:
To allow Ganishka to bring this massive swell of evil into the world, as we've been saying in the past 3 episode threads (and in this thread as well). Since Sonia uttered that phrase ("The principles of this world will now end.") in 295, it's been pretty clear this spilling of evil is the beginning of the end for the old world order, which is precisely what Griffith, and by association, the God Hand, have been planning all along.

We just don't know what the specific implications are going to be yet.

Ramen4ever said:
So why did he not kill Ganishka as well at their previous encounter? :griff:

May be its because Griffith needed a bigger spectacle to show the people "the Falcon of Light" of their dreams. Comparing the two times Griffith and Ganishka met, this certainly is more apocalyptic.

Top Bottom