Guts digital sculpture.

Hello.
This is my first topic here and I would like to show you a 3d model of Guts I'm working on.
I'm planning to make the armor he was using before getting the new one from Flora.
I hope you like it. Suggestions and critics are welcome.

gatts15pz1.jpg

gatts17hr7.jpg

gatts16ai4.jpg

gatts18zc9.jpg

gatts14cq1.jpg

gatts13pl9.jpg

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Guts digital scupture.

Lookin good, but I think Guts might need a little more meat on his bones. Also, his head is too high off his shoulders, it appears.

Awesome looking, but not looking like Guts so much. Guts wields about 30 more pounds of muscle, mostly in the arms, shoulders, neck, and back. Guts' face is a bit wider, and his nose isn't thattt jewish. Ears are a great shape, but maybe need to be a little smaller. The face could use some major reconsideration. The artificial arm's proportions are off. But still, it's a fantastic model and keep up the good work.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

Sk.net is full of talented modellers it seems. I agree that he needs more meat on his bones, and that the head/face needs some tweaking. But overall great job!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Yeah that artificial arm is outstanding man. That really sets this model apart I think.

I appreciate very much the comments, thank you.
I'm trying to be the most accurate as possible.
As it is without hair, his face seems to be more off than it really is. But I recognize I have to work more on it.
Miura style changed a lot through the series, Gatts had many noses, so it is being hard to match, but I will try fixing it.
I'll try giving him more meat as you said, and see how it gets. If I have time, I'll start his armor too.

Dilsonlucas, very cool stuff.
I would def tweak the face a bit as others have suggested. Try widening it a bit. Lessen the chin and scrunch the nose a little and I think you'd be spot on.

As far as more meat on his bones go, he's been losing weight recently, so just specify which stage of Guts you are actually modeling.

Also, the thumb on the artificial arm looks a little too long.

I cannot wait to see the finished piece.

Keep at it sir!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Pretty cool model there man.

Some stuff I'd tweak: thinner waist, bigger arms and shoulders, thicker hands and fingers (both on the real hand and artificial one, though obviously to be perfect they'd need to be different), and of course the face. I'd get rid of the deep lines around his mouth, same with the philtrum (or at least it needs to be a lot softened) and widen the cheek bones a little bit. That'd be a good start. :guts:

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.
I made some changes on his nose and the lower part of his head.
Also, I lowered his neck a little, this makes the whole model look less thin.
I gave some definition to the region of the shoulder.
Let me know if you like it. There's a version with a sketched hair, so you can better see what it should look like.

gatts20copysz9.jpg

gatts21qr5.jpg

gatts20avx4.jpg

Here's an old model. Its quite unfinished, but I lost the files, so I can't finish it.

casca6tk3.jpg

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

It's a lot better already, softening the lines around his mouth really worked wonders. I like your Casca model as well, a shamed you've lost the files.

Wow man, Casca was comig out great. Like Aaz said, it's a shame you lost the files. Better than losing everything all together though right? :serpico:
Also Guts' body is starting to like Guts' body.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature

Awesome job man! In you first model, I felt you were using volumes 1 and 2 for references on the facial structure. I think his face changes a little in the later volumes, so your second model looks better. I wonder if any of his recent scars left a depression or a deep mark?

My only critique is that I think Guts ribs and obliques are more defined.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Okin said:
In you first model, I felt you were using volumes 1 and 2 for references on the facial structure.

You think so? It really looks nothing like it to me.

dilsonlucas said:
I started his clothes some days ago.
Now I'll finish the armor and shoulders and then I'll add textures, dirty and other details.

http://img219.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gatts28vk5.jpg

I can't wait to see that on Guts. I hope you have plans for Griffith once you are complete with this project. :guts:
Now for some constructive criticism, I think the knives could be moved up a bit. The very bottom throwing knife starts really close to the bottom of the strap. I'm just looking at a picture of Guts and it starts a little further up. It also might not hurt to move the dagger/belt knife a tad to the left so it doesn't overlap with the belt buckle. Here's an image to help show you what I'm talking about.

Ramen4ever: thank you. You're right about the knives, i'll move them.
Aazealh: thank you for the correction.

Here is an update. I increased the size of his eyes and did some tweaking on his face. I also made the shoulders of the armor and some other details.
Hope you like it.

gatts41wl5.jpg

Hi dilson,
I have to say it's quite a quality work.
Anyway, I have a few questions for you : :carcus:

- The haircut is quite impressive in quality. What do you use to render it this way ? isn't it too expensive concerning rendering time ? I am working on characters for my job and I have to make some female haircuts animated of course XD.

What soft do you use after zbrush ? Would it be possible to see the topology of the mesh ?
For me I use maya and mental ray for rendering.

Last question ( :troll: ), It seems you are gonna make a rig of your mesh. Why putting your mesh in this pose ? isn't it better for texture rez to raise the arms ? or maybe you are gonna do it later ?

I am very curious of your work, keep posting, like it !

Seeing guts in that hair and in that armor makes me think that he could use to gain maybe 35 pounds or so. Also, I don't think Gut's hair is so puffy; it's usually a little bit more spiky, kind of like a durian fruit or something. I assume it's from the blood that gets all coagulated in his hair like L.A Looks brand hair gel.

After seeing all this I am more than impressed :guts:, I now want to see this in a game. Are you going to try animating the 3D work as well?

Thanks to everyone that replied!!! :guts:

showguynie: I'm using 3d max out of zbrush. The hair was created using a 3d max built-in system called "hair & fur". It's fast, but crashes every time. I used mental ray for rendering. I'll will post the wireframe for you later.
I think i'm going to give up this approach of rendering in an external software. I was planning to create the uv layout automatically in zbrush, but the results were very bad and right now i think it would be very tiring to create it manually. So I'm going to use zbrush for final render.

I'm posting some more images. I did some changes on the head and body proportions again in the hope of improving the similarity. I also created the cape and other details.
Now I'm about to finish the character. I'm gonna give him some poses, make some other details and render final images. Maybe I'll place the model over a platform, as in one of the pictures below.

gatts46hq9.jpg

gatts47re4.jpg

gatts49wv4.jpg

gatts48mj8.jpg

gatts50dr9.jpg

gatts51cb9.jpg

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature

Awesome job on the cloak and the shoulder guards, man. The hair definitely looks better. Those arms just look so thin though.

Top Bottom