RED DWARF (British sci-fi/sitcom series)

Anyone remember this hilarious Sci-Fi comedy series?

It was one of my favorite shows in the '90s, probably my favorite comedy. The last two series weren't as good but the first six were great clever comedy.

Anyway, I just found out that they're filming some new special episodes that continues the series (almost 10 years later!) with the original cast (everyone is supposedly returning), I'm excited about this since I always wanted some closure after the cliffhanger in series 8.

My favorite episode was probably the one with the Polymorph or the planet with the famous historical people wax-dolls.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't follow it assiduously but I liked it back then. I'll give those special episodes a try if I stumble upon them.

Grail

Feel the funk blast
I grew up on that show, it was the best! :guts: Although, I don't know many people who watch it where I live, so I've had to suffer in silence for many years. :judo:

I have series 2 on DVD and watch it every once and a while. I always preferred the earlier episodes, like the one where they go to the backwards planet.

Great news indeed, and the timing is perfect too, the reruns are going on my country's television as we speak. I was afraid that the series will lose their charm after all these years, but I was wrong, Star Trek-like plots combined with awesome 3D animation :guts: still kick ass.

Oh yeah, my first post so hello everybody, this site is authority on everything Berserk related, so I don't need to say that it's great :serpico:.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
K. said:
Oh yeah, my first post so hello everybody, this site is authority on everything Berserk related, so I don't need to say that it's great :serpico:.

Hi! Welcome aboard! :serpico:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
My friends and I back in the day loved watching this show... PBS at its finest! I do wish they could finish the movie they were planning. I need to pick these up on DVD some time. Man the good old memories. :judo:

I never really watched it all that much, although there is one episode that has always stuck with me. They all die then wake up on earth in modern times realizing they were just playing a virtual reality space game, and they have to recover their identities which have since been forgotten. The Cat had these horrible teeth and his "real" name was Dwane Dibbley.
Dwayne.jpg

It was a great episode, but I couldn't ever get into many of the others.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
I smegging LOVED Red Dwarf.

Whenever I hear anyone say "It's cold outside..." I continue, inside my head, with "... There's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less~~!"...

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Uriel said:
I smegging LOVED Red Dwarf.

Whenever I hear anyone say "It's cold outside..." I continue, inside my head, with "... There's no kind of atmosphere, I'm all alone, more or less~~!"...
Drinking fresh! Mango juice! something something something... FAR FAR FAR! IN THE SUN SUN SUN!

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
British comedy at its finest, or at least as much as us Americans can get our hands on. I loved this show as well, I'm glad they're bringing back the original cast.

BTW, I found a tribute to the series in the Dead Space art book I got since I preordered it. There's a 'Red Dwarf' brand ale, not sure if it made it into the game though.

THIS IS INCREDIBLE TIMING. I own the whole show on dvd and VHS, just recently I've been showing it to my girlfriend and tonight we were watching one of the final final episodes of Red Dwarf and I told her to prepare for the cliff hanger in the last episode. And that they hadn't done a new episode for almost 10 years. WOW what an amazing thing to happen. Go Red DWARF!!

some info from the official site:

For the record, and direct from the makers, the details of the four shows right now - while wholly subject to change - are:

Show One - The Making Of The Specials
A highly entertaining look at what goes on behind the scenes on a Red Dwarf production.

Show Two - Red Dwarf Special: Part One
The cast get back into character, and costume, a decade on...

Show Three - Red Dwarf Special: Part Two
The adventure continues...

Show Four - A Clip Show With a Serious Difference
The cast do it their way. Red Dwarf as you have never, ever seen it before!

The shows will broadcast sometime in 2009 and, if successful, could pave the way for further Red Dwarf TV projects. Thanks to movie and broadcaster wrangles, Grant Naylor haven't been in a position to produce new Red Dwarf since Series VIII went out to audiences of over eight million in 1999. This exciting development suggests a new and shiny future for everyone's favourite sci-fi comedy.

"We're on a mining ship 3 million years into deep space, will someone explain where the smeg i got this traffic cone?"

Ten more days till the new specials air in the UK...

I completed my DVD collection a month ago and watched it through in order. I didn't even mind the last two series this time, it was all good! Series 8 was more enjoyable on DVD, I was cracking up several times. The amount of extras on the whole series was pretty overwhelming though, but I loved the documentaries.

Anyway, looks like there's going to be 3 special episodes and a "making of" (no unplugged) and the cast is only the core four (Lister, Kryten, Cat and Rimmer) no Holly, Captain Hollister or Kochanski. The new CG Red Dwarf also looks more like the original model rather than the massive Series 8 version. Story is supposedly set 10 years after Series 8 so the actors ages will fit with the story. Though I'm a little worried that there won't be a live audience this time just like in Series 7...

Dani

Smile!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9f4I5vSK7g&feature=related

A little teaser for the new show. Can't wait.

Dani

Smile!
Watch it, someone uploaded the whole episode on to Youtube.

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UkVtd0nSKs
Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbgy13mcwM
Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BT89jNE8wY0

I liked it (just finished watching the third episode.)

Great Blade Runner references and homage to classic Red Dwarf. The photo zooming thing was hilarious.

It definately shouldn't have been split up into 3 nights though.

I hope they make a new series after this. =)

I just saw those 3 new episodes. It was great to see Rimmer, Lister, Kryton, and the Cat again. Although it was a little depressing for me to see how these figures I grew up watching had aged. Except Kryton though (all that makeup.) It looked like they were a little rusty getting back into their roles and the story could have been tweaked up a bit, but after 10 years of nothing, I'll take anything. Oh, and the use of CG models instead of using hand-made ones was a bad move.

It could have been trimmed a little, I agree. It didn't have the pace of old RD. It was also not as funny as RD at it's peak, but I didn't expect it to be. In a way this wasn't your usual RD episode; it was a 'special'. I thought the actors did great for their age though but they really should make a final series to wrap it all up before they do get to old.

Top Bottom