Episode 299

Shadow8

Berserk is for the life
A great episode with a nice battle and Sonia who is angry! Next episode, the massacre will continue and we'll surely find more information about Sonia's actions.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Awesome episode!  Thanks for the scans, scanbot!  There's so much detail in this episode that I find something I missed each time I read it.  It appears Sonia is in a bit of denial.  Poor Mule was so close to her that he seemed to get the brunt of her telepathy, haha.

Rhombaad said:
It appears Sonia is in a bit of denial. Poor Mule was so close to her that he seemed to get the brunt of her telepathy, haha.

I actually don't think Sonia is in denial. She knew about the demon soldiers before. Heck even Mule had suspicions but judging from Sonia's tale to Schierke about the Owl, Hawk, Dragon's and etc. Well she probably knew at least something. Imo Sonia is doing exactly what her job as always been. The fact that she seemed forceful is just to get everyone's attention and not give them a chance to speculate further.
Or at least that's my take on it.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Ramen4ever said:
I actually don't think Sonia is in denial. She knew about the demon soldiers before.

True, but despite that I don't think she lumps Griffith in with them as a fellow "dragon" or "demon soldier." To her he's better than that, even though we know he's not.

Ramen4ever said:
Heck even Mule had suspicions but judging from Sonia's tale to Schierke about the Owl, Hawk, Dragon's and etc.

That and he saw the apostles on his way to meet Griffith with Sonia, albeit not transformed.

Rhombaad said:
True, but despite that I don't think she lumps Griffith in with them as a fellow "dragon" or "demon soldier."

Hence why in her story she calls him a Hawk. The king of the skies which is really quite symbolic of him being the true overlord and a God Hand member.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Ramen4ever said:
Apart from the Crab apostle, as mentioned by Grail and Aazealh, I thought these two apostles looked pretty damn menacing

Yeah I also dig the one with four eyes on each side of his face. Truth be told they're all pretty cool. And I love the top panel of page 16, it just screams "monsters!" at you. Makes me feel for those poor soldiers. :zodd:

Ramen4ever said:
Imo Sonia is doing exactly what her job as always been. The fact that she seemed forceful is just to get everyone's attention and not give them a chance to speculate further.

I don't think it's her "job". Hell, she wanted to come with Griffith at first. She's just acting impetuously like she always does, and is angry because the "ducks" are doubting Griffith. What her "job" has been in the past from what we've seen was to foretell the maneuvers of enemy troops.

Rhombaad said:
True, but despite that I don't think she lumps Griffith in with them as a fellow "dragon" or "demon soldier." To her he's better than that, even though we know he's not.

Depends how you look at it. He's on a whole different level than them. :void: And while Sonia called the apostles "dragons" in her tale, I don't think she sees them as being bad. Remember the way we've seen her interact with them. I'm wondering if as an aside from her praise of Griffith she might not actually lecture people about how ungrateful they are to the apostles in the next episode.

Ramen4ever said:
Hence why in her story she calls him a Hawk. The king of the skies which is really quite symbolic of him being the true overlord and a God Hand member.

Don't forget that in her tale she depicted herself as a kite, the closest being to Griffith. That tale was her own interpretation of things and it's not necessarily completely in accord with the truth, even though it's close to it.

Sonia isn't in denial literally, but it seems she refuses to accept that Griffith has a demonic side. Yeah, he and his Apostles are all what's keeping them all from being slaughtered...but despite what she'll try to say next, this is ultimately a pissing contest between monsters, and they may not really care to be saved from one only to be ruled by another :SK:

Mage said:
Sonia isn't in denial literally, but it seems she refuses to accept that Griffith has a demonic side.... this is ultimately a pissing contest between monsters, and they may not really care to be saved from one only to be ruled by another :SK:

Absolutly !! and when she finally accept / acknowledge Griffith demon nature (which is not the case up to now) the fall down will be severe for her....

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Mage said:
Sonia isn't in denial literally, but it seems she refuses to accept that Griffith has a demonic side.

She might not know it yet though, in spite of her powers.

In fact, what if her powers didn't allow her to see through his masquerade? As someone who's prescient she must trust her ability over anything else, so if Griffith was somehow shielded from it, she'd have no reason to doubt him. And another point I think is worth repeating is that she seems to have a strange conception of the world (e.g. her absolute disdain for normal people and fearlessness with apostles), not to mention that she's still pretty young and has looked rather ingenuous in the story so far.

Anyway, no doubt she'll be in for a huge heart-break the day she realizes he's not what she believes. Unless her zealotry is too strong by then, of course. After all, it's not impossible that she knows what he is and simply doesn't mind it.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Yes, we shouldn't overlook the real possibility that she might actually know better than anyone what Griffith is and what he's about, but is simply all for it. This is the same girl that isn't at all intimidated and talks casually with Nosferatu Zodd, and didn't mind when an Apostle tried to eat her, even paling around with him afterward while promising to bring him a human corpse to eat! She might be the least naive person there. =)

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
I am very much anticipating when Griffith himself attacks.

Now, will our good friend Mr. Miura even let him do this? If so, what will we get? Griffith taking Ganishka down in his fleshly form? His Femto form? Or will there be a giant burst of light and all the sudden BOOM: Hawk of Light from everyone's dream?

My worst nightmare is that Griffith does jack shit. His dudes do the dirty work and he just sits there on his pony smiling at rabbits hopping by or whatever, then it's all over, he turns around, takes a bow, his turbo army turns back to their "human" forms, takes their bows, Sonia grins the biggest grin and goes, "SEE?!?!?!?," the Pope is in tears and declares Griffith the king of whatever, then the crowd rejoices. Then Raban squints his eyes and goes, "HMMMMMM......."

I'm afraid that Griffith's TRUE power will remain a mystery until the day he finally faces Guts. I see it now. After this CLIMAX, Griffith and Charlotte, king and queen... Griffith chillin' on his big ass throne with his head tilted and leaning on his hand, thinking of all how he's got what he wants.... OR DOES HE?!? He'll think of his childhood ... of the old Hawks ... of the eclipse ... of his final rise to power ... and then finally, at the final page of whatever episode this happens in, he whispers to himself, "...Guts..."

Or who knows? Maybe after all this shit he'll invite Guts to be his best man at the wedding.

GRIFFITH: Oh, come on, man...
GUTS: DUDE, FUCK YOU!! FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, FUCK YOU, NO!!
CASCA (now back with her sanity): Guts, just do it. I've forgiven Griffith for raping the marbles outta me! I mean, he was trapped in that dungeon for like a year and got tortured to shit. And I mean, come on, it was kinda YOUR FAULT that he got captured and all...
GUTS: "IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT, GUTS!! WAAAHH!!" Fuck the BOTH of you. SHIT!! WHAT ABOUT ME?? I went through HELL, gettin' chased by fucked up monsters for years and then goin' through all that bullshit to get here to Elfhelm to restore your moody, irrational, bitch-brain!!
CASCA: WHAT WAS THAT?!
SCHIERKE: Uh... everyone, please...
GUTS, GRIFFITH, CASCA: SHUT UP!!!!
SCHIERKE JUMPS BACK AND COWERS.
GRIFFITH: Now, okay, okay, let's talk this out. Guts, man, it.... WAS pretty much YOUR fault that I got thrown in prison and got tortured and got my dream temporarily smashed to bits, I mean, come on... You left The Hawks and I got all... (ahem)... well... a little depressed...
GUTS: FUCK YOU AGAIN FIVE TIMES!! I ONLY LEFT BECAUSE I... (ahem)... you said ... you only consider ... a true friend to be ...... your equal.... ? I wanted you to call me your friend. And calling me "friend" in the dub just doesn't cut it for me...
GRIFFITH GETS TEARY
GUTS GETS TEARY
SCHIERKE GETS TEARY
CASCA LETS OUT A LONG SIGH. THEN SHE SLAPS GUTS' ASS REALLY HARD AND AS A REACTION HE LEAPS INTO GRIFFITH'S ARMS

GUTS: ...
GRIFFITH: Be my friend?
GUTS SIGHS AND LOOKS THE OTHER WAY.
GRIFFITH TAKES GUTS' HAND: ...best man...?
GRIFFITH KISSES GUTS' HAND.
GUTS: ... Good. Now there may come a day, and that day may never come, that I'll ask you to do a service for me.

[2 YEARS PASS]

GRIFFITH IS CHILLIN' ON HIS PIMP THRONE PLAYING GO FISH WITH GRUNBELD, WHEN ALL THE SUDDEN HIS PERSONAL QUARTERS' DOOR SWINGS OPEN. IT'S GUTS, WITH ISIDRO AT HIS SIDE. ISIDRO IS WHEELING AN OBLONG BOX ON A CART TOWARDS GRIFFITH AS THEY BOTH APPROACH HIM.
GUTS: ...Are you ready to do your service for me?
GRIFFITH: ...Anything, Best Man...
GUTS OPENS THE BOX TO REVEAL CASCA AND GUTS' KID THE MYSTERY CHILD, WHO LAYS DEAD WITH A BUNCH OF ARROWS STUCK IN HIM.
GRIFFITH GASPS.

GUTS: ... I want you to use all your power to make him look presentable ... I don't want his mother to see 'im like this...
GRIFFITH, WITH A SAD LOOK IN HIS EYES, SLOWLY LOOKS UP AT GUTS.
GUTS TRIES EVER SO HARD TO HOLD BACK HIS TEARS.

GUTS: ...Look... look at how they massacred my boy...

Then again things'll probably turn out different. I'm always wrong with my predictions.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gobolatula said:
My worst nightmare is that Griffith does jack shit. His dudes do the dirty work and he just sits there on his pony smiling at rabbits hopping by or whatever, then it's all over

The apostles can't possibly do anything meaningful to Ganishka.

Gobolatula said:
Or who knows? Maybe after all this shit he'll invite Guts to be his best man at the wedding.

[...]

Then again things'll probably turn out different. I'm always wrong with my predictions.

Fan fiction goes in Creation Station man.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Drakull said:
Yes Zodd and Rochine of course... Sorry I mean flying apostles looking like dinosaurs, we didn't see them during the eclipse

Like Griff told you on the last page, we actually did see flying apostles during the Occultation ceremony and more recently during the assault on Vritannis.

Black_Devil

Punos Rey
Just one thing I'd also like to take note of is the recurring appearances of the apostle that took Guts' arm. I really want him to survive to a point where he'll run into Guts again. The other apostle that took his eye hasn't appeared again to my knowledge, but this apostle keeps getting exposure, so hopefully the two meet up again.

For Sonia, I personally think she has more of an idea than most(except of course the apostles obviously), but she might be all for the 'Age of Darkness' Griffith has in store for everyone else, going by her "uniqueness" aaz and everyone else pointed out.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Black_Devil said:
Just one thing I'd also like to take note of is the recurring appearances of the apostle that took Guts' arm. I really want him to survive to a point where he'll run into Guts again. The other apostle that took his eye hasn't appeared again to my knowledge, but this apostle keeps getting exposure, so hopefully the two meet up again.

Technically the apostle didn't really eat Guts arm per say. He just held it in place while Guts used a broken sword to cut it loose so he could go after Griffith/Femto.

In any case, yay for carnage! :chomp:

Maybe it will be the Falcon of light that attacked Zodd in his semi-quasi illusion sequence and will just wraps its way around Ganishka and slice him to bits!

Hope they brought umbrellas!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Black_Devil said:
Just one thing I'd also like to take note of is the recurring appearances of the apostle that took Guts' arm. I really want him to survive to a point where he'll run into Guts again.

Yeah, Volkov (ボルコフ) is everyone's favorite nowadays! :guts: And I have a feeling he will meet again with Guts someday. :beast:

Black_Devil said:
The other apostle that took his eye hasn't appeared again to my knowledge, but this apostle keeps getting exposure, so hopefully the two meet up again.

Well he lost his eye almost accidentally, and many of them were pinning him down (besides, we didn't get a clear shot of the one that pierced his eye), so the case is a bit different. I'm not even sure Guts would recognize the one that got his eye, since he was focusing on something else at the time...

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Technically the apostle didn't really eat Guts arm per say. He just held it in place while Guts used a broken sword to cut it loose so he could go after Griffith/Femto.

So, you think he spat it out afterwards? :zodd:

Aazealh said:
Yeah, Volkov (ボルコフ) is everyone's favorite nowadays! :guts: And I have a feeling he will meet again with Guts someday. :beast:

I wasn't aware he had a name. Out of curiosity, where did you learn it?

Not that I'm against Griffith in this scene, nor am I for the on coming monsters, but I hope the demon army takes somewhat of a blow. In the long run Guts is going have to go through the demon army to get to Griffith. He's going to need all the help he can get.

If you remember way back to when the Snail Count was near death and wanted to sacrifice Guts to save himself, the God Hand pretty much laughed in his face when he mentioned that Guts killed so many of their (the Apostles) number. Femto (Griffith) makes a statement saying that the Apostles aren't worth anything to them, and that any amount of losses isn't even worth mentioning. :void:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the God Hand's (including the reincarnated Griffith) opinions probably haven't changed since then. :griff:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
yota821 said:
If you remember way back to when the Snail Count was near death and wanted to sacrifice Guts to save himself, the God Hand pretty much laughed in his face when he mentioned that Guts killed so many of their (the Apostles) number.  Femto (Griffith) makes a statement saying that the Apostles aren't worth anything to them, and that any amount of losses isn't even worth mentioning. :void:

They're really just a means to an end.  I doubt Griffith, or any member of the God Hand, cares what happens to them.

Top Bottom