Left 4 Dead

D

DemiAngel

The game is extremely amusing and goddamned awesome! :puck:

Basically you had to survive a zombie-infestation apocalypse with total three strangers and manage to survive/escape, not the freshest idea for a video game, but the online experience is godly! :void:

It's only a matter of time for a "Berserk" mod to be created, mark my words!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: I'm surprised that no one here plays Left 4 Dead!!

Ive been playing it since the demo first came out, about 3 weeks ago. I love it, and play it nightly. I still haven't played through all the "movies" yet. Since the full retail release, I've pretty much strictly been in Versus mode, since playing as the Infected is both awesome, challenging and rewarding.

I had a choice between Fallout 3 and L4D, and in my opinion, in the elaborate sci-fi game of paper rock scissors, zombies beat nuclear apocalypses every time.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

It looks very cool, but I'm not willing to fork up the bucks for now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

One thing that hasn't been reiterated in most reviews I've read: don't buy the game if you don't intend to play it multiplayer. While there is a four-stage single-player campaign, the teammate AI is so well-crafted that it's not nearly as fun an experience as playing with your friends with a microphone, or experiencing and complaining about how much of a bitch the AI director is.

Here's an article written by Gabe Newell, of Valve, talking about how they created the game, and , though it's not spelled out int he article, it's pretty much how they came up with the idea of an AI Director that controls the flow of the game and vary the experience: http://tinyurl.com/5ozvuv

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!

This game looks badass but I lack the funds and the Xbox. I'm not very big on PC gaming! In fact, the last game I finished on PC was Sam and Max.

I'm itching to play this but I'm severely low on funds currently. :judo: I'd rent, but let's face it, that'd only be a tease.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

I was eager to play this but felt so goddamn disappointed, i mean is this what gamers expect of a co-op experience? Are these people that new to the game world that they don't see how unoriginal this shit is? There's nothing new about this! And worse, everyone buyed the hype, including me! All this stupid gameplay decisions... what's this shit about full ammo on the primary weapon? And that aura, where you can easily see where your teammates are, is that supposed to be immersive or contribute to the atmosphere? Seriously, re-reading the reviews now i have to say this is the most overrated game ever! It's short (you can finish it in 2 hours or less), too easy, has no story whatsoever, and features no co-op teamwork besides shooting everything in sight and giving healthpacks to your teammates. 50$ for this? It could be called Counter Strike with bots and bigger maps and no one would notice. Even Zombie Panic Source is more teambased than this crap (you can actually trade ammo/weapons between teammates, and complete different objectives), and it's free! I can't believe this is getting more than a 6 out of 10. And besides, in multiplayer versus mode, you can only play in two of the four campaigns, what bollocks is that? TWO freakin maps?!?
I predict that if they don't update this game like hell, in two months, maybe less, no one will be playing it.

Got it today. Its insane. The only thing I didn't like was the randomness of where the zombies render. 100+ Zombies will come out of a room, and after you slug through them, it turns out the room is tiny. Some times Zombies even render behind you, and you have a wall to your back. But overall its a pretty intense game. Definitely one to pick up for 360.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

NightCrawler said:
I can't believe this is getting more than a 6 out of 10. And besides, in multiplayer versus mode, you can only play in two of the four campaigns, what bollocks is that? TWO freakin maps?!?
I predict that if they don't update this game like hell, in two months, maybe less, no one will be playing it.
Well, you're the first person I've encountered who's not psyched about this game, so I won't try convincing you otherwise. But a few points:

Regarding maps, Counter Strike had about 6 maps at launch, and those same 6 maps are still being played, nearly a decade after its initial release. I think L4D has much more in common with CS than anything else, such as a single player experience like Half Life 2 or a team-based co-op like Team Fortress 2, but it is inevitably getting those comparisons. But in Versus Mode, when playing as the Infected -- this becomes a whole new experience. Your mission is to infuriate the opposing team into a panic, just as they get overwhelmed by the average zombies. OR you can work with your teammates to coordinate an attack using the abilities of each infected.

and features no co-op teamwork besides shooting everything in sight and giving healthpacks to your teammates.
Teamwork actually IS essential to surviving in the game in any difficulty above Normal (I only play Advanced/Expert. Normal is for babies). If you don't communicate with your teammates, or react to how they're playing, you can easily get ganged up on and overpowered. A successful team works as a unit.

A good example that's common throughout the game is when approaching a tunnel where you know many enemies will begin pouring in soon after you get to its entrance. One guy needs to be in front, crouching, with at least 2 others slamming away with shotties along with you, possibly one guy just meleeing to keep the horde at bay. But you also need someone guarding your asses so you don't get surprised by a Hunter, Smoker, etc.

That being said, I do look forward to what mods will be successful for the game. Id like a continuous map without a real "safe-zone" type goal to achieve for the Survivors. Something like equal health between Infected and Survivors and them just going to town on each other across the map.

Death May Die said:
The only thing I didn't like was the randomness of where the zombies render. 100+ Zombies will come out of a room, and after you slug through them, it turns out the room is tiny. Some times Zombies even render behind you, and you have a wall to your back.
It's not random, you can see where they'll pour out of. It's usually a destroyed section of a wall that marks the boundaries of a map for the player. If the poured out of a tiny room, check the ceiling to see if they fell through a hole. I've never seen them spawn the way you're describing.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless

Is it me or the normal zombies are even weaker than normal humans?
I was expecting a co-op experience like Alien vs Predator mixed with Gears of War. I just don't find fun aimless shooting of stupid AI with no interactive story or objectives. Unless you consider moving from path A to path B an objective. And i get your idea of teamworking Walter, its more like four guys shooting is better than one kind of teamwork eh.
I think i'm more disappointed in gamers today than the game itself.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

NightCrawler said:
I think i'm more disappointed in gamers today than the game itself.
Well, I acknowledge it's not PERFECT, but I really wasn't expecting it to be. It delivers on every angle I was hoping for, and in the end it's a very fun game. So... not sure what there is to complain about other than some muddled, unmet expectations.

Never played it, but if you want teamwork based games, try the Battlefield series.
Heck, I'm totally into BF 2142, FPS+Strategy in an online multiplayer game?
Awesome

Wow. I purchased Left 4 Dead the other day and I have to say I am so pleased with it, much more than I thought would be. I was seriously expecting something mediocre/bad, but my curiosity got the better of me. While it isn't perfect, I cannot put it down. I bought both Gears 2 and Left 4 Dead on the same day and the latter is getting MUCH more playtime.

There's no story really, but don't let that bother you. It's an awesomely, refreshingly so, straight forward game. Survive.

I beat all campaigns yesterday with my g/f's little brother on normal. I advise to play this game with other 'real' people as opposed to the AI. While we're being surrounded by the undead and ammo is running low and suddenly only I could save my teammate, that's when I really began to sweat.

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Not perfect, but still awesome.

My Xbox live name is: Proj2501

Let's get some Skullknight-zombie slaying action on fellas!!!!! :mozgus: < love this emoticon btw

I don't really play games but there was a lot of discussion about this game over at another forum. I watched quite a few youtube videos and it really does look like a fun game. I have to say that the infected look like the most fun. More specifically the Tank, Hunter and Smoker.
I think Walter pointed out the mot important part of this game, teamwork. Though a problem I see with Versus mode is that a group of infected with good teamwork is just about unstoppable. Making the whole thing kind of unbalanced.

Anyway, I don't see too much replay value. Good MP but you can only play the same scenarios so many times before you get bored.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

Ramen4ever said:
Anyway, I don't see too much replay value. Good MP but you can only play the same scenarios so many times before you get bored.

Tell that to the folks that have been playing CS on de_dust nonstop for the past 8 years.

Aazealh said:
Tell that to the folks that have been playing CS on de_dust nonstop for the past 8 years.

Valid point. But I doubt it's going to be as successful as CS.

I don't know sir, you need to actually sit and play this game. Also, I was listening to the in-game commentary and how Valve went about populating the maps, pretty interesting stuff. Reinforcing the fact that enemies will always spawn in different locations and in various numbers.

Play. Trust me, it won't disappoint.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ramen4ever said:
More specifically the Tank, Hunter and Smoker.
Actually, the Boomer is my favorite by far. It requires you to be reaaally sneaky and yet quick on your feet, because as soon as you're heard, you become a target for all four survivors. It can be intense, and it has a HUGE payoff if you're good at it, unlike the other normal classes, where you can only chip away at one survivor if you're flying solo.

I think Walter pointed out the mot important part of this game, teamwork. Though a problem I see with Versus mode is that a group of infected with good teamwork is just about unstoppable. Making the whole thing kind of unbalanced.
Nah, the AI director makes sure to balance out the distribution of normal infected there are in the map, and it will also space out the respawn time of special infected if the survivors are suffering. It may also deny the infected team a tank if they're doing too well. But yeah, in the end, time after time, the team that communicates the most wins consistently.

All that being said, the game really needs some newer maps. I've noticed several people on my friends list have already moved on to other games for the time being. Valve has promised add-on content in the same vein as TF2, so we can count on some new achievement-unlockable weapons and new maps. And hell, maybe some of the other infected classes they removed from the final game (like the Screamer).

Ramen4ever said:

There can also be new maps added on to increase the replay value, from what I heard.

There are the airport, hospital, forest and small town scenarios thus far.

I am pretty sure added scenarios will definitely make the game more worthwhile, and it is not like we are short of Zombie movies to base new maps on.

Zombies in a shopping mall or cruise ship? Sign me up!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Left 4 Dead DLC "coming soon," says Valve.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172085
The PC mod community is still awaiting the release of the game's SDK so that we can begin seeing user-created content, which gives hope to the PC crowd, but what about the mod-less mod-less Xbox 360 players whose only hope comes in the form of official DLC?

Valve writer Chet Faliszek discussed the future of Left 4 Dead on a Kotaku podcast (via Shacknews) released today and revealed that an announcement and details on L4D's DLC should be coming soon. The podcast must have been recorded prior to the holidays, though, as Faliszek claimed that the announcement should be coming prior to Christmas.

Walter said:
Left 4 Dead DLC "coming soon," says Valve.
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3172085
Very cool. I wonder what we'll get. I can def foresee a new map or 2 (probably 1), but I'm not too sure about new weapons.

Sidenote: Just began replaying Finale stages on Expert with friends...nuts!!!

Носферату said:
It's really fun, but the one thing I didn't like, originally they had a full story, but after testers and such got through with it they just totally ripped the entire story out, were these testers sugar-addicted 10 year old Call of Duty fanboys or something?!?! :???:

Aside from absolutely zero story I love it. :serpico:

There are humans.. there's a zombie infection. /end story.

Носферату said:
That's what everybody says, but I'd at least like to know how the zombies all of a sudden popped up and began to mutate or at least where francis, bill, louis, and zoey all met and decided to team up.

Probably the usual virus mumbo jumbo. Why else would they be called "infected" A story might make things more interesting but.. I doubt there a whole lot of people who care. They're just in it for the MP.

Saw this videos and had a wtf moment. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IOL_pYkp4

Top Bottom