Left 4 Dead

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: I'm surprised that no one here plays Left 4 Dead!!

Носферату said:
That's what everybody says, but I'd at least like to know how the zombies all of a sudden popped up and began to mutate or at least where francis, bill, louis, and zoey all met and decided to team up.
What they should have done was string those story bits into a CG opening like they did with the intro. That way it could be separated from the main game, particularly the multiplayer segments. As it stands, those stupid fly-overs they do upon the start of each campaign still annoy me, and I totally see the point of removing an extended sequence.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

How are the server's doing for Left 4 Dead? I know with online games that there are usually a big surge of players at first but after a bit they taper off. Are there still a lot of people playing?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
How are the server's doing for Left 4 Dead? I know with online games that there are usually a big surge of players at first but after a bit they taper off. Are there still a lot of people playing?
Well, as you may know, it doesn't work in the same way as MMOs. There are dedicated servers, but few people will return to them over and over. The interface actually has eliminated choosing a server as a default option. Now it's just "join lobby" or "join lobby with friends".

That being said, I don't know of a way to get a consistent count of the active servers. I just used the console command openserverbrowser and counted 375 dedicated servers.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Walter said:
Well, as you may know, it doesn't work in the same way as MMOs. There are dedicated servers, but few people will return to them over and over. The interface actually has eliminated choosing a server as a default option. Now it's just "join lobby" or "join lobby with friends".
I know I know, I know that on the SA games sub forum, someone had posted some numbers of how many games/players were on compared to the other ones like Team Fortress 2 and so forth. Does it still have the numbers to make it a worthwhile purchase?

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head

Ramen4ever said:
Probably the usual virus mumbo jumbo. Why else would they be called "infected" A story might make things more interesting but.. I doubt there a whole lot of people who care. They're just in it for the MP.

Saw this videos and had a wtf moment. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93IOL_pYkp4

Yeah got some glitchiness and a Fist of the North Star reference.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Does it still have the numbers to make it a worthwhile purchase?
Yes. It's also still the best-selling game on Steam (especially with the holiday deal craze), and that guarantees several months of playtime online.

It's a pretty decent list.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=757758

EDIT:
http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=1962
http://www.l4d.com/blog/post.php?id=2129

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Left 4 Dead!!

http://kotaku.com/5131181/kojima-addicted-to-left-4-dead-considers-renouncing-his-japanese-status

The man behind Metal Gear Solid, Hideo Kojima, has got Left 4 Dead fever, a first-person shooter addiction rare in the typical Japanese video game fan. "Maybe I should quit being Japanese," Kojima joked.

In a newly published Famitsu interview, by way of 1UP, the Kojima Productions head worries further about the disparity between Japanese and Western tastes, of which he's starting to fall more into the latter.

"I'm addicted to Left 4 Dead right now, but people say to me that that game would never work in Japan," Kojima said.
Wow, it'd be awesome to join in a new lobby and see "Koji4Life." I bet he sucks :guts:

Lol, oh Kojima. He sits in his home at night and screams, "Huntah!!!"

Wheres the DLC though... :sad:

Why would people say it wouldn't work in Japan?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

DLC details were due around Christmas. Still nothing though. There've been several news items saying the DLC info was coming "soon." We'll see.

A patch is coming this week to address some glitches and bugs. Thrilling.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Ahh, it's finally out. And there are some GREAT and major changes to the VS gameplay. Some of the notable ones:

Hunter
    * Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing
    * Increased Minimum damage a Hunter pounce does
Fucking sweet. I love playing as the hunter and these were its two weaknesses.

reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks
Oh SNAP that will totally piss off some people and change up the strategies against it. I approve. The Tank was getting waaay too easy to kill.

Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors
That wasn't an exploit. That was a strategy  :sad:

Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch
And this is the biggest addition to the update, as far as I can tell. This totally changes the gameplay flow for VS games.

Survivors cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging
Wow, that will really alter the way I play this class. Getting melee'd off a tongue was a huge weakness.

Hmm... I noticed there's no changes to the Boomer, though there are still many bugs with the class. Maybe next time? All in all though, I'm chomping at the bit to play tonight  :chomp:

So the Tank is going to be harder to take down now?!
Damnit.
The Mercy Hospital strategy I use may be obsolete now. (All 4 survivors go under the long ramp by the helipad, 2 stand in back with M4's, 2 kneel in front with auto-shotguns. Dual wield pistols for the hordes and use heavy weapons for boss infected.) But that may all go out the window if the Tank becomes harder to take down. :judo:

As far as glitches go, let's see how many we know at Skullknight...

1) Jesus Room on top of Mercy Hospital
2) Gatling gun-melee-super jump
3) Melee the door instead of starting the lift during first campaign, 2nd or 3rd act.

anyone know any others?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Proj2501 said:
So the Tank is going to be harder to take down now?!
He was getting too easy to take down. Everyone knows the drill. Molotov him and outrun him, else, everyone gets armed with pump-shotties and just mows him down in seconds with close-range burst damage. He's only really dangeorus in close quarters, when he can segment the team.

As far as glitches go, let's see how many we know at Skullknight...

1) Jesus Room on top of Mercy Hospital
2) Gatling gun-melee-super jump
3) Melee the door instead of starting the lift during first campaign, 2nd or 3rd act.
I don't know what "Jesus Room" means, but those others just got fixed. That meleeing the door glitch really pissed me off. I'm glad they're fixed. They also silently fixed a crazy glitch where the Infected could spam the console command "spectate" and rejoin to overwhelm the survivors with CPU special infected. Apparently for each time an infected spectates, a CPU filled the role in his place. Then when he rejoined, the CPU remained until killed.

We ended up fighting about 10 hunters at once at one point, and STILL managed to get a higher score than the other team.  :badbone:

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be

Proj2501 said:
Lol, oh Kojima. He sits in his home at night and screams, "Huntah!!!"

Wheres the DLC though... :sad:

Why would people say it wouldn't work in Japan?

Haha, I couldn't help but laugh thinking of that. :serpico:

I've been playing L4D for months now. I find it funny, I beat the scenario's so many times that I'm up for doing what other people want to do. So, I find a lot people are just stupid wanting to do the worst things. I know that some people like to go under the stairs by the heli-pad in the "Roof Top" finale, but its hard with one person, especially if every one else is over in the "radio" room. If the guy gets attacked by any monster, chances of someone going out there to help him are slim. It works with multi people over there under the stairs. I prefer to get on top of the building above the "radio room" or even the "stairway." On top of the "radio room" building zombies have to climb to get to you. Its a good vantage point to watch someones back and keeps the game flowing.

Another one is the farm house, some people just insist in staying the "hallway" of the up stairs bedrooms, where I prefer to go in the "kids" room, with one window and one door. Some people like the barn but I think its crap. The airplane finale doesn't really have many greats spots you just kinda got to fight it out.

But sometimes, people are too good, and makes the game stupid...like the boat house. I mean, I beat the game so many times, I'm willing to make it as hard as possible, like trying to hold up in unique unconventional places if other people are willing to also. The up stairs and down stairs of the boat house are fun, but I just hate when people are like...lets go to the rocks. The game renders monsters, and some zombies....but like only 10% of the zombies it usually does. The tank appears, but disappears. You HARDLY fight at all when you use the rocks. So, you play about an hour to get to finale, and everyone wants to use the rocks...and do nothing. Its crap. I would rather hold up in the little shack off to the side than use the rocks. I guess I don't like the fact, that people think "oh I know the best, and safest way to beat this finale" but they don't mention its boring as hell. I think you get the most out of this game not by avoiding things but confronting. You got to confront as a team. Let all the zombies come, just work together. There isn't anything cooler than saving someone elses butt, however, there isn't anything more frustrating when someone goes off my themselves, or don't help at all when your in trouble.

-Oh the PC's always gets the cool mod's, man. :(

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I couldn't tell from your post, are you playing VS or Campaign mode more often, Death? I pretty much strictly play Versus, since it's far more difficult and compelling than straight up campaign. You can't always pull the cheap tactics as a Survivor when you're facing off with a real opponent.

Anyway, the guys I play with enjoy a fair fight above all. When playing as Survivors, we want to give the Infected a fighting chance. So if we've had it too easy, we'll intentionally handicap ourselves with a more open position for a crescendo event or a finale. With No Mercy, I'm pretty  much always near the gatling gun. There's really no need to go under the helipad. It seems a little cheap to do it that way (and for noobs, really). It's  really not difficult to defend above the radio room, and it gives the opposing team a chance to actually win, instead of just being frustrated and "ragequitting."

On the other side of the coin, as an Infected, I am ruthless  :rakshas:  I'm sure you've seen it before, but there's a spot in at least 3 different points in No MErcy where a well-coordinated team can ruin all 4 Survivors in a matter of seconds after they come up from a ladder. The most morale-killing one is just as the Survivors get onto the roof in the No Mercy finale. Smoke the firstone that comes up, theyll be pulled off the ledge, then the remaining 3 hunters pounce each survivor individually as they come up to the roof to save their buddy. Game over.  :griffnotevil:

Jarome

The Destroyer Of Worlds

I'm glad with the recent patch that has fixed most of the infected problems.

Now the tanks/witches have the exact % of spawn rate for both team, it was about time to make it even for everyone! :chomp:

I'm just pissed out because the smokers are SO freakin' overpowered now but I'm very happy about the hunters aren't getting owned by humans melee-spam anymore...

Hopefully the next patch will give us new content/weapons/zombies... BRING 'EM OUT! :daiba:

Interested I was play online Co-op campaign with 3 other people most of the time. Computer controlled enemies. I should give the vs. and the player controlled enemies a chance. Good point.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Jarome said:
I'm just pissed out because the smokers are SO freakin' overpowered now but I'm very happy about the hunters aren't getting owned by humans melee-spam anymore...
I don't think Smokers are overpowered. It still takes a skillful pull to do any worthwhile damage/chaos to the other team. Now it's just a more powerful class in the right hands as opposed to being nearly useless.

Oh yeah, and what Valve REALLY needs to do next is put the tools to make new maps/mods in the hands of the users. It's a fuckin travesty there aren't custom maps yet. And until they come out, this game is going to slowly die.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

On the 360 side, on the VS mode they seem to have found ways to block survivors in certain areas. One good example was (I believe it was at the No Mercy Stage) inside the sewers once having to go up the red ladder, any infected person that stays behind can melee just about anything in the surrounding area to block the way out of the sewers. I find this really irritating, though when time comes to switch roles, we may do the same... but it just kills the purpose period. I really hope they patch this. Has anyone had this problem on the PC side?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Nomad said:
On the 360 side, on the VS mode they seem to have found ways to block survivors in certain areas. One good example was (I believe it was at the No Mercy Stage) inside the sewers once having to go up the red ladder, any infected person that stays behind can melee just about anything in the surrounding area to block the way out of the sewers. I find this really irritating, though when time comes to switch roles, we may do the same... but it just kills the purpose period. I really hope they patch this. Has anyone had this problem on the PC side?
When you say they "can melee just about anything" what objects do you mean, exactly? And no, I've never experienced this on the PC side.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"

Well in that specific scenario was a industrial sized trash can (don't know the exact name :beast:). But since you're on the stairs you can't melee the damn thing out, nor shoot it out. Another part was also in No mercy I believe after you take the elevator on the un-finished construction side of the building, you can melee one of the power plants near the elevator entrance. Though in there you can melee it out, the infected will be on the other side putting it back in. It's frustrating let me tell ya.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

Wow that's a really bogus tactic. Shame on the guys who use such a thing... Can't the survivors just shoot the object covering the sewer grate from the base of the ladder though? I know the M16 for one can really move objects easily with just a few shots.

Top Bottom