Happy Ending Teaser?

I didn't want to start a topic about this but I thought maybe it was worth discussing.

I was watching the anime. The scene came up where Griffith had just been saved from the castle dungeon. He's laying there seeing how useless he is. He has that weird dream. About him sitting there, married to a happy Caska. And Guts is "Symbolic" shown as their son. I know this entire scene is somewhat symbolic to what the characters are/mean to Griffith. Like Caska being the wife/soldier by his side, and Guts being his son/right hand man. But I wonder if this was a teaser to maybe what things would of somewhat been like, if Griffith didn't take up the God Hand. That he would live out a peaceful life, reminiscing about his past battles, being catered by Caska and Guts. I guess his story and maybe even the story of Guts and Caska wouldn't extend much from that scenario. Being good friends I don't think Guts or Caska would of left Griffith's side after the dungeon scenario.

Any how, I was wanting to discuss if any one interpreted this scene more than just a fluctuation of the current reality of Griffith's lost dream. More than Griffith going to a happy place for a moment.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
To answer your question, yeah that was the reality Griff saw ahead of him. But that scene really wasn't a "happy place" for Griffith. It's actually so painful for him, knowing he was capable of such a grander life, he tries to kill himself directly after the hallucination. This actually resembles what the God Hand later called the "ruin of a dream," the life he'd lead without embracing evil. Of course, everyone else would have been happy -- especially Ganishka :ganishka: . Though I imagine Casca's sex life would be about as hot as that scene where Griff assaults her in the tent.

I don't quite see this scene as symbolic, either. It's quite literal really. Griffith is still crippled from the torture (blankie over his legs, like FDR), being treated like an invalid, fed soup by Casca. And in this scenario, Guts is actually still "out swinging his sword somewhere," as Casca implies, but doesn't name him (just refers to Guts as "he," though it's obvious who she means). It just so happens they also named their child Guts.

It's a very possible scenario, had the Beherit not returned to him moments later.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
And in this scenario, Guts is actually still "out swinging his sword somewhere," as Casca implies, but doesn't name him (just refers to Guts as "he," though it's obvious who she means). It just so happens they also named their child Guts.

Don't forget their dog Pippin. :ganishka:

Walter said:
It's a very possible scenario, had the Beherit not returned to him moments later.

Actually I wonder if Casca would have really been able to become his wife (which means a lot more than just being his caretaker), after what she'd lived with Guts. And I also wonder if Griffith would have still been able to have children after his treatment in the Tower of Rebirth. Although, in fact he wouldn't even need to, since she was already pregnant with Guts' child at the time. But that's not something he could have possibly known when he day-dreamed and I think it might have changed things considerably, so let's not forget that this scene is just something he imagined and that wouldn't have necessarily reflected the reality.

Anyway, I definitely wouldn't call this scene a "happy ending" in any sense. Guts would be fighting aimlessly, alone. Casca appears as a subdued housewife that abandoned her life and Griffith as a helpless cripple. Not so great regardless of how you look at it.

G

Gangstap

Would she really leave Guts for Griffith? I mean damn, thats shallow if she does.
On another note, Griffith is completely useless, would be a lot for Casca to handle.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:
Would she really leave Guts for Griffith? I mean damn, thats shallow if she does.
She basically says as much to Guts in vol 12. She said she couldn't leave Griffith, and urged Guts to move on.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Gangstap said:

She just couldn't leave him alone after seeing how broken he was. She was willing to stay out of duty, but from her tears and the rest you can tell she was very distressed. And Guts was willing to stay as well, despite Judo and Casca urging him to go live a life of his own. The bottom line is that the discussion was never finished and nothing was decided.

Top Bottom