Dog Collar injures pet!

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
About 3 or 4 days ago my dog was making more of a fuss than usual. He's a Siberian Husky, so we only worry about the weather bothering him when it's raining or snowing. 2 days ago he smelled awful, and I noticed his collar was a lot lower than usual. When we checked to see what the smell was, and I noticed the prongs to his shock collar had dug into his neck. I was worried enough when he tripped on the ice real bad a few years back, and his leg is only fully recovered now. He must have squeezed his way through a tight place, and forced the prongs down his neck. It was infected but with some ointment it will be fine now. The shock collar is needed for my Invisible fence which keeps the dog from running off, but what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Okin said:
The shock collar is needed for my Invisible fence which keeps the dog from running off, but what can I do to prevent this from happening again?

You're really not suppose to leave your dog outside unsupervised in the first place [or so dog trainers tell me]. Invisible fence or not, that dog will get out if it wants to. Anyways, what worked best for when my yorkshire terrier had a shock collar, we kept it between snug and loose. It really takes a week of the dog getting shocked to know it's boundaries. So there is no real point to having it tight around the neck in the first place.

Okin

That's true, the last he went up against the fence was years ago. But unless it's snug, the prongs won't reach, and what's the point in having the collar if it won't even work? Ultimately, I could make it as loose as possible, but it would still hurt him again because he forced it lower down his neck somehow to the point that it dug into his skin.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Okin said:
That's true, the last he went up against the fence was years ago. But unless it's snug, the prongs won't reach, and what's the point in having the collar if it won't even work? Ultimately, I could make it as loose as possible, but it would still hurt him again because he forced it lower down his neck somehow to the point that it dug into his skin.

Maybe you should take it off every time he comes back inside? If i remember correctly it's a clip and if the prongs are stabbing him again it should be easily spotted.

Okin

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how he got the collar pulled back so far. There's nothing wide enough for him to stick his head through, and nothing tethering him down either. Maybe he slammed it against a tree as he ran by?

EDIT: You really do need to be careful with you pets.
http://www.snopes.com/critters/mishaps/tennisball.asp
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/pimpleball.asp
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/dogtreat.asp
God the more I read, the worse it gets.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Okin said:
Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how he got the collar pulled back so far. There's nothing wide enough for him to stick his head through, and nothing tethering him down either. Maybe he slammed it against a tree as he ran by?

Maybe the collar itched him and he scratched it against a tree, a wall or even some furniture in your house? Maybe you should look for a collar with prongs that are less potentially harmful (i.e. less likely to dig into his flesh) from another brand?

Okin said:

The tennis ball one is pretty freaky, I had no idea anything of the sort existed.

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be
WOW, I've never heard of that "Tennis Ball Bomb" kinda thing before, that's really messed up, what will people NOT try and turn into a bomb lately.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Носферату said:
WOW, I've never heard of that "Tennis Ball Bomb" kinda thing before, that's really messed up, what will people NOT try and turn into a bomb lately.

You'd be suprised what kind of things people will turn into bombs. One of the warnings we had in iraq was to not pick up trash or empty soda cans because those were being used as bombs. Hell dead animals had bombs in them. :ganishka:

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
You'd be suprised what kind of things people will turn into bombs. One of the warnings we had in iraq was to not pick up trash or empty soda cans because those were being used as bombs. Hell dead animals had bombs in them. :ganishka:

Jeez, check your underwear for bombs men, these bastards are crafty. :ganishka:

Okin

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

That's terrifying...

Top Bottom