Games for '09

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Killzone 2 guys, your thoughts. To buy or not to buy?
I've also read some good things, but also that the single player campaign is a little hollow, so I suppose online play is where it's at (nothing new for the FPS genre). I believe there is a demo out there right now. Try before you buy.

Well, on a whim, I bought Killzone 2. Haven't tried it yet. But I love me a good FPS (God knows I've played enough of them). Admittedly, I never played Killzone 1. From the looks of it, I didn't miss much.
For what it's worth I'll tell you guys how Killzone 2 holds up against the COD's and L4D.

Proj2501 said:
Killzone 2 guys, your thoughts. To buy or not to buy? I've read good things but I won't make a move till my skullknight niggas weigh in.

Weigh in fast I wanna hit the mall during my lunch break. :guts:

Well I'm in, I like Killzone and I do want to get the second one badly.

Alright. Just played roughly 20 minutes of this game. First off, gorgeous visuals. No seriously. I'll cringe the next time I play L4D. :judo: Secondly, the aiming takes a bit getting used to. It's not as fluid as other FPS games (granted I've been playing COD4 compulsively the last few weeks). But that's not to say Killzone's aiming is bad. Once you get the hang of it, you're mowing down fools in no time. So far, so good. Kinda happy I didn't sell my PS3...

EDIT: Few more hours into this game. It's some solid fun. Well worth the dough. It's really just beautiful to gawk at. Who knew right?

Walter said:
I've also read some good things, but also that the single player campaign is a little hollow, so I suppose online play is where it's at (nothing new for the FPS genre). I believe there is a demo out there right now. Try before you buy.

For kill zone and all other FPS games I really don't think you buy them cause of the single player campaign. I mean look at Halo.

Oburi

All praise Grail
ori said:
For kill zone and all other FPS games I really don't think you buy them cause of the single player campaign. I mean look at Halo.

I think this applies to CoD games and such but I actually did buy Halo 2 and 3 for the story. Not the greatest storyline ever but It's something I keep up with because it's kinda like a big childhood game for me. The first Halo came out when I was in 8th grade and I've played it nonstop since. I actually still play halo 2 more than 3. Human weapons on Lockout, no shields, no power ups, ...that's a pure skill game right there.
I would, have bought other FPS games for the campaign. Like when Doom3 first came out I wanted it regardless of it's online play. And a game like Fear2 is one I would get for the single player. I guess my point is FPS's don't always need multiplayer. The multiplayer is usually just thrown in anyway because every other game has it, but they are nothing special. Games like Halo and CoD, and maybe Unreal Tournament will remain king of online FPS. I'm not that big into FPS anyway but when I do buy one, if it isn't Halo or CoD, I don't even give a shit about the multiplayer. And Doom3 was very enjoyable for me, and the Fear2 demo was also really eerie and fun.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Played the demo for Killzone 2. It's ok so far. Not a big fan of shooters but there's a lot of eye-candy in it . I agree with the aiming mechanics. Takes some time to get used to. Overall, not exactly impressed but I will give it a try once the full product is out. Ohhh yes. The voice-overs are terrible.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
What?

MGO was the Sir Lagsalot of the bunch! Never had a single good lag free on it. Compare that the multitude of games I've had on Killzone 2 in various regions with zero lag -- MGO doesn't even compare. So far, I'm loving the hel(ghast) out of KZ2. I don't like FPS at all, but it's got me hooked. Besides, I suck much less at this than I do at Street Fighter!

Uncharted 2 is my most anticipated title for 2009. No way is God of War III making it out until at least March 2010, so Uncharted it is for now.

Alright, alright. I'll say this to get it out of the way. I think shooters are superior on the 360, IMHO. Fighters? PS3.

Graphic wise. Potato-potahto.

It's about controls in the end. For instance, SF4 SUCKED on 360. On PS3...amazing. Night and day. Why? IMO, controllers. Yes.

But I'll delve into Shooters on PS3. Now, I've played COD's, Resistance 1-2 and Killzone 2 on PS3. Now only one, COD, have I also played on 360. Aiming is just so much tighter on 360. Now, I'm not saying shooters on PS3 are shit, far from it.

Let's compare Resistance 2 to Killzone 2. The latter is MUCH better to look at. But the former, not as easy on the eyes, handles noticeably better. Aiming is not tedious in Resistance 2 as it is in Killzone 2. I challenge someone to play 10 minutes on each game back to back and tell me I'm wrong. It's a real shame because I grumble more then I smile when playing Killzone 2.

I played the multiplayer on Resistance 2, COD 4, COD WaW, L4D, and Killzone 2 is the only one where my teeth grit down hard. I feel that in KZ2, my gun moves either too fast or too slow. Again, IMO the developers did a fantastic job on the game, they really did. But the controls are not as tight as they could have been and it's a real shame. Resistance looks so much worse but is so much more rewarding to play online. My opinion though.

Your thoughts guys and gals?

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Носферату said:
Also, Killzone 2 is good but I feel like its MP was wasted on PS3 only, every PS3 game I've played online except for MGS4 lagged horribly, nobody had mics, and nobody worked as a team, great looking MP but I'll wait for it to hopefully come to PC or another console sometime.

I take it you never played Warhawk then? Never had any lag issues with any online game on PS3 except from when I am during multiple things on my net connection such as Downloading or seeding something. That or whoever is hosting does the same mistake mentioned before. No teamwork? no Mic? you get those problems anywhere. Seriously, the only difference I get from either consoles, is that I actually pay on Xbox live.

Proj2501 said:
Alright, alright. I'll say this to get it out of the way. I think shooters are superior on the 360, IMHO. Fighters? PS3.

Personally I'd move this specific topic on the "Xbox vs PS3 thread" but, if it's controllers you argue, that's more of a personal thing my friend. Dual Shocks are bound to be more difficult only due to the design of the 2 triggers. 360's controllers I despise, but tend to be more easy on the aiming and detailed moving.

As for GoW 3. Not holding my breath on that one really. Didn't exactly impressed me at all. But time will tell I guess. In fact, Yakuza 3 is about the only game I actually would be looking foward to but yeah... not coming to the US (for now hopefully).

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
You mean GoW 2?

He means God of War III.

As for X360 vs PS3 controllers, personally I prefer the X360's. They fit better in the hand, IMHO, and the controls are generally better. It's just more refined than Sony's old SNES rip-off. The only exception is the D-pad. Microsoft really fucked up on that one. I heard they released a green controller with a better one though, but apparently it's hard to find.

Aazealh said:
As for X360 vs PS3 controllers, personally I prefer the X360's. They fit better in the hand, IMHO, and the controls are generally better. It's just more refined than Sony's old SNES rip-off. The only exception is the D-pad. Microsoft really fucked up on that one. I heard they released a green controller with a better one though, but apparently it's hard to find.

If they wanted to change the controller they would have done so when they released the PS2. I never had a problem with Sony's controllers. It's as if they got it right the first time and didn't need to change the design. If a lot of people complained then I guess they would have done so just as Microsoft did with the original xbox controller. I like the xbox controller for FPS games but anything else I hate it. I agree about the D-pad. Also......

BLAZ BLUE! Like I said before about Blaz Blue it indeed is coming to PS3 and xbox along with trophies. I found this confirming it. I can't wait!

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/s0lesurviv0r/aksys-shows-off-blazblue-g4-hires-mediocre-players--123854.phtml#story

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
If they wanted to change the controller they would have done so when they released the PS2.

Did you forget about the boomerang controller fiasco? Failed redesign if there ever was one, and planned for the PS3.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
I'm waiting for Mass Effect 2. Some say it'll be released in '09 but there are no one is sure.

Also waiting for it here, but it'll more probably be early to mid 2010.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Deci said:
New teaser trailer for Final Fantasy: Dissidia

http://psp.ign.com/dor/objects/904962/final-fantasy-dissidia/videos/dissidia_trl_teaser_040309.html

Trailer looks good, wish I had a PSP for this one. Looks like I'll be harassing my friend again.
It is pretty good, although I can't wait for the English version to come out since the story segments are probably the most interesting part and I have no idea what's going on in Japanese. Seeing Kefka, Kuja, Zidane, and Terra together is quite awesome since VI and IX are my favorites and they usually get the short end of the stick. Kingdom Hearts ruined both Setzer and Vivi with its portrayal of them and I'm glad all the characters are as they were in their original games rather than the later spin offs and whatnot.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I actually went and preordered the Ghostbusters game for PS3. It looks really good so far, here's hoping!
I played the demo of Arkham Asylum and wasn't impressed by the fighting system.

Oburi

All praise Grail
handsome rakshas said:
I actually went and preordered the Ghostbusters game for PS3. It looks really good so far, here's hoping!
I played the demo of Arkham Asylum and wasn't impressed by the fighting system.

keep in mind it is simply just a demo...You get very basic combo moves...Im sure in the full version you can unlock more combos and moves..special abilities etc. throughout the game.

I for one enjoyed the fighting in the demo

Top Bottom