The coin-operated video game I spent the most money on

For some reason I was thinking about a very old video game: Bad Dudes.

Thinking about old video games made me try to remember on what coin-operated video game I spent the most money. I guess I have to say Street Fighter II.

Any thoughts?

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I have a very vague memory of my mom putting quarters in a game for me when I was pretty young. I think it was the old Konami Aliens shooter game that was a lot like Contra, or maybe it was Rampage? . Even as a kid I was hooked on Konami games! When I got a little older I kept it up with Turtles in Time, Simpsons, (Mr. Burns was a bitch!) and the X-Men arcade game. Towards the end of my arcade going career I was playing Aliens Vs.Predator, Marvel Vs.Capcom, and Metal Slug. Mortal Kombat games were like the biggest thing in my neighborhood when I was growing up but I never dared to challenge the guys at the arcade. I used to just hang back and watch them do all the fatalities. Arcade games have been dead to me for a long time but I got into a game pretty heavy a couple years back. It was a strategy game called Sangokushi Taisen where you put cards on an electronic mat and moved them across the playing field trying to storm the other guys castle. Supposedly the Game Works arcade/bar not far from my place was the only place in America that had the game.I blew a lot of money on that game but it was fun because the same nerds would be there late at night so I could go play when I got out of work. I still have all the cards for it (even some rare gold cards! :isidro:) and I promise to never play the game again even though I heard Gameworks got part 2 there. I'm glad I don't live in Japan because I would be blowing my cash on the true quarter munchers, shmup games! And with Hokuto No Ken games scattered about I would be broke. I heard that BlazBlue just came out in select arcades in America, maybe I should go take a peek? Hehe, I still have my Sangokushi cards in my glove box. :carcus:
Wow, theres a lot of rambling here. Guess I really like video games, huh?

Edit: I just looked at the Gameworks website and stumbled upon this. http://www.gameworks.com/templates/beez/pdfs/rambo.pdf
Maybe a field trip is in order, who's coming with me?

Believe it or not for me it was Ms.Pacman. There was this awesome pizza place that had an old ms.pacman arcade machine for 25 cents. However for sheer amount of money spent I would say Dead or Alive, or was it Time crisis. I don't recall too precisely but it was one of those arcades that had two people with guns shooting at zombies and another one were you shot at criminals.

However all of those arcade games are minuscule compared to the 100+ I spent playing 1$ billiards. :ganishka:

I had street fighter II for sega so playing it on arcade was kinda pointless.

Goldenaxe II!

Especially with a group of buddies, you didn't want to be the one to cheap out and let everyone down. Ten bucks in quarters once, which to a kid is a ton of quarters. Worth every second. :beast:

X

Xem

It was Samurai Showdown until a couple years ago when me and my girlfriend decided we wanted to beat all of the House of the Dead's in the arcade. And that's still only because video games cost a dollar now to play, as opposed to 25 cents.

I'm proud to say I don't think I've ever dropped a single quarter into a Mortal Kombat machine. Samurai Showdown was right next to it, was a better game, and had no waiting line!

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
Walter said:
Street Fighter II or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game.

I kept dying on the sewer level. I remember House of the Dead the best, but I was actually pretty good with rail-shooters. I remember spending fifty dollars once on TMNT and X-men. I ended up with bruises on my knuckles the next day somehow. :ganishka:

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Now... iv been to many of arcades through out the world (seriously) and I must say that the time that I have spent the most money would have to be when I was stationed on Okinawa and the game to get me was... Marvel vs Capcom 2.

You have to understand that the base I was at was out in the middle of fucking no where and it took about an hour to get to the main city... you would either have to take the base bus, pay for a taxi, or find someone who had a car and befriend them

Fuck all that jazz. I made it my (sad) goal to become the best at marvel vs capcom. So every Saturday and Sunday I would go there and bust out and get 20 bucks worth of quarters and start playing, this lasted for about 3 months or so. Oh god damn did I get good. :badbone:

On hind sight, FUCK YOU SSGT! FUCK YOU AND YOUR GOD DAMN CHEAP ASS GUILE BULL SHIT! :ganishka:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
King of Fighters 96

Aero Fighters 2 (finished it with 4 credits - 2 for each player)

Time Crisis 2 (same as AF 2)

Sega Rally 1 & 2

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Revolution X :carcus:

A local bowling alley has had it for as long as I can remember. Every few years whenever I think to check, my friend and I still top the all time high score list. Music is the weapon!

Oltobaz

Cancer no Deathmask
Street fighter 2, Final Fight, Knights of the Round, Golden Axe...Also, I came back from Japan a few months ago, and did spend some quality time playing Street Fighter 4...
Then, there were also games I got to play only once or twice back in the late 80's, cause I didn't have much cash as a kid, and I'd just stand there and watch... Prehistoric Island, for instance... I played this one again for good a few years back, it's still amazing, even by today's standards.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Psymont 2.0 said:
dnd shadows over mystara
i still drop one in it and have a go every time i am forced to visit my local arcade; boomers

There's a game that I'm really pissed I never got to play in english. It seems everyone had one of those around but I've never seen that game in any arcade I've been too. I have the Japanese Sega Saturn version but I can't read what's going on so I'm trying to sell it.

Top Bottom