Vagabond: Volume 29

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Hooray! Volume 29 cover looks like a Samurai Centerfold (for the ladies)

vaga29ko5.jpg

Looking forward to seeing some additional pages![/hope]

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
That's unfortunate, but only because of my impatience. I was at Border's and desperately wished I could have gotten new Vagabond while there (if they carried it anymore, but that's another story).

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
宮本 武蔵 said:
That's unfortunate, but only because of my impatience. I was at Border's and desperately wished I could have gotten new Vagabond while there (if they carried it anymore, but that's another story).

I've heard Borders that they are looking at closing a bunch of stores. Not that it really mattered to me at all because the only Borders that ever had Berserk or Vagabond was in Syracuse, NY.

The biggest problem I'm having is finding a place that would not require me placing down a pound of cash to get either. That and I hate using Amazon. :judo:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
I was about to say, the primary place I buy both DH Berserk and Viz Vagabond is Amazon. At risk of sounding like a late-night TV commercial, they have the best prices and fastest/cheapest delivery.

That being said, I think I've bought at least half of Vagbond at Border's  just out of convenience. And I don't think they've stopped carrying it. It's just that bookstores get monthly shipments of things. So, if a release comes late in the month (22nd or so), the bookstore won't get it, or put it on the shelves, until at least the first week of the next month. So, if speed is of the essence, Amazon it up.

Griffith

Walter said:
That being said, I think I've bought at least half of Vagbond at Border's just out of convenience. And I don't think they've stopped carrying it. It's just that bookstores get monthly shipments of things. So, if a release comes late in the month (22nd or so), the bookstore won't get it, or put it on the shelves, until at least the first week of the next month. So, if speed is of the essence, Amazon it up.

I could have sworn you were the first to mention the lack of regular volumes for sale anymore, that they'd all been replaced by VagaBIG. Anyway, I haven't seen any at either my local Borders, Barnes & Noble, or the Borders in Westwood for months, and there always used to be at least half a dozen on the shelf. They also never have the latest releases, which they used to, and usually early, so I don't think it's a shipping or scheduling coincidence. They're just gone.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Ahh, well I just noticed that my Border's stopped stocking the early volumes, and replaced them with VIZBIG editons. But those versions won't get up to the current volumes I don't think. Do they plan to span the whole series?

Griffith

They haven't been stocking ANY volumes in my area recently, it's been VIZBIG or bust for a while, which is unfortunate. I don't know that they'll do the whole series if it's just supposed to be a cheap jump start to the rest... which you can't buy at Borders.

Saw something else interesting last night, they had a hardcover Dragon Ball volume 1, I think dubbed the "collector's edition." And I see there's a DBZ volume 1 like that on Amazon. Funny thing, it still had the ratty quality brown paper and ink on the inside, so what's the point? And are they really going to do the whole series like that? What's the point of "collecting" it otherwise? Just weird all around, but it made me wish there was a hardcover edition of Vagabond and Berserk instead. =)

Solarmaker

I am completly ready for a Zombie attack!
In my area Barns and Nobels doesn't even carry Berserk and Borders hasn't restocked for a long time either. But while i was in Dallas, they had a used book sale and were selling seven volumes for 6dollars each in prime condition so I snatched them. I have holes in my collection tho and next to no one has them. I don't want to buy online because shipping costs are such a pain. Does anyone know of any stores that ARE reagularly selling them?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Solarmaker said:
I don't want to buy online because shipping costs are such a pain. Does anyone know of any stores that ARE reagularly selling them?
Buy 3 at a time on Amazon and shipping is free.

Solarmaker

now that IS a good idea. See but they always get you that way,

"don't want to pay for shipping? then just buy more! Nothing rids you of that sting of having to pay for shipping like spending another $20!"

btw, I'm Solarmaker, and you can probably tell i'm new on the site. Do you guys happen to have a thread to just chat and where i can ask questions about berserk and the like?

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I have no problem at the borders I regularly purchase manga. Berserk is always in stock. Vagabond was not in order but they had some. When I was introduced to Vagabond, I bought some at that borders and then I order about 9 of them online at www.rightstuf.com. I also bought 4 volumes of "The Guind Saga" there.

Solarmaker

We have two BnN's around here and 2 Borders along with various comic shops and Berserk is like a freaking rare animal, I've never even seen a physical volume of Vagabond, only online scans. I don't understand why because we have huge manga selections here but all the good ones seem to never be around. It's always Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Curse Shonen Jump! Stealing shelf space!

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Solarmaker said:
We have two BnN's around here and 2 Borders along with various comic shops and Berserk is like a freaking rare animal, I've never even seen a physical volume of Vagabond, only online scans. I don't understand why because we have huge manga selections here but all the good ones seem to never be around. It's always Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Curse Shonen Jump! Stealing shelf space!

Those titles are more commercial than berserk. Most teens allowance goes for that. Shonen manga Vs Seinen manga, Shonen might win in sales, but not in quality.

Solarmaker

seinen manga? That's not a term i'm accustomed to.
I understand why most of manga sales are directed at teenagers but it's like, "where's the love for us hardcore people??" T_T

I mean go to any most anime and manga conventions and at least 50% of the people there are over 18. Besides, Naruto, and all those mangas aren't even that good, i don't understand why people are such crazy fans. It's really scary. Don't get inbetween a Narutard and a Sasuke cosplayer lest you loose a limb or two.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Solarmaker said:
now that IS a good idea. See but they always get you that way,

"don't want to pay for shipping? then just buy more! Nothing rids you of that sting of having to pay for shipping like spending another $20!"

Come on, buying for over $25 of goods isn't that bad. It's certainly worth it if you're an actual fan of Berserk and need to complete your collection.

Solarmaker said:
btw, I'm Solarmaker, and you can probably tell i'm new on the site. Do you guys happen to have a thread to just chat and where i can ask questions about berserk and the like?

There's no "general purpose" thread, and this sub-forum is actually dedicated to another manga. Most of your questions have probably been answered in the past and you should be able to find those answers by running a simple search. However, if you can't find what you want and feel that your question isn't important enough to warrant a thread, feel free to PM it to me.

Solarmaker said:
seinen manga? That's not a term i'm accustomed to.

It's manga aimed at young adult men.

Solarmaker said:
I mean go to any most anime and manga conventions and at least 50% of the people there are over 18. Besides, Naruto, and all those mangas aren't even that good, i don't understand why people are such crazy fans. It's really scary. Don't get inbetween a Narutard and a Sasuke cosplayer lest you loose a limb or two.

That's great but I'm afraid you're getting a little off-topic here.

Uriel

This journey isn't ov--AARGH!
Well, as it turns out, there are no new pages to be found in volume 29.

On the subject of the Viz releases, though -- do you guys think that the Bigabond volumes are going to replace the republications of the older volumes? I remember going into a Borders and seeing that volumes 1-6 now have the same spines are 20+.. I'd kind of like to go back and purchase those to complete my collection, but I feel that Viz will be halting those versions now.

Solarmaker said:
It's always Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach. Curse Shonen Jump! Stealing shelf space!

That's true, but at least One Piece is shelf space well stolen.

Griffith

Uriel said:
Well, as it turns out, there are no new pages to be found in volume 29.

No obvious retouches either?

Uriel said:
On the subject of the Viz releases, though -- do you guys think that the Bigabond volumes are going to replace the republications of the older volumes? I remember going into a Borders and seeing that volumes 1-6 now have the same spines are 20+.. I'd kind of like to go back and purchase those to complete my collection, but I feel that Viz will be halting those versions now.

Yeah, I think Vagabig is taking over, I've seen the original volume 1 unavailable on certain online stores and some searches for volumes in the range of the BIG series give you only the Vizbig editions. Im' not quite sure what you mean by completing your collection, but I wouldn't hold my breath on them re-releasing everything under the "Signature" line. I actually enjoy the slight variations in the editions as Viz's releases have evolved. It says I was there for the journey... and does everyone else's volume 6 have a glossy cover? =)

UPDATE: Supposed Viz edition publication date: May 19th, 2009

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
I been reading Vagabond recently and man its good! I eat the entire series and didn't sleep for a night it just the excellent art and the facial expression, story telling is magnificent too.

Griffith

Welcome to the Vagabond Inn, Bunnet. Glad you appreciate the series, looking forward to hearing more from you.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
Well thank you.

I have to say one the most fascinating aspect of Vagabond is Musashi himself, as different from many other character that are in the stereotype of strongest warrior are normally single minded. While he can learn new battle tactics and even come to understand deep knowledge, even so at the end of the day he is quite shallow

Top Bottom