Vagabond: Volume 29

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bunnet said:
While he can learn new battle tactics and even come to understand deep knowledge, even so at the end of the day he is quite shallow
What's shallow about Musashi? :azan:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Bunnet said:
I have to say one the most fascinating aspect of Vagabond is Musashi himself, as different from many other character that are in the stereotype of strongest warrior are normally single minded. While he can learn new battle tactics and even come to understand deep knowledge.

Considering that he was in fact a real swordsmen, a historical figure. I would admit he is fascinating and legendary. Although, not every single detail is written, there's still enough proof of his greatness.

even so at the end of the day he is quite shallow

YEah, risking your life to achieve the goal of being the greatest swordsman ever is sure shallow. :schierke: Musashi why didn't you just turned out like Tsujikaze Tenma. There's a real role model.

Bunnet

Gender is our true trap
Th3Branded0ne said:
Considering that he was in fact a real swordsmen, a historical figure. I would admit he is fascinating and legendary. Although, not every single detail is written, there's still enough proof of his greatness.

YEah, risking your life to achieve the goal of being the greatest swordsman ever is sure shallow. :schierke: Musashi why didn't you just turned out like Tsujikaze Tenma. There's a real role model.
Not saying Tenma is an example to live by but Musashi is not the greatest person I really prefer Takuan as person as he even thought Musashi about what is life, death and what it means to take a life. You have to say before that Musashi was not the best person and after that his one goal is to battle, he does care for people but takes so long for him to demonstrate

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:
What's shallow about Musashi? :azan:

As Muneyoshi might say, still too focused on his "self." =)

"My 'self.' That's what Yagyu Muneyoshi's swordsmanship was all about. 'I will defeat MY opponent. ...with MY power... with MY strength... with MY existence... look at ME...' The Master, he asked of us, 'Why would you dedicate your lives to that? Do you truly believe that the way of the sword is so trivial? My sword is one with heaven and Earth. With my way, the sword need not even be present... no sword...'"

Musashi is still working toward that kind of breakthrough, more importantly in his thinking than in his swordsmanship.

Bunnet said:
Not saying Tenma is an example to live by but Musashi is not the greatest person I really prefer Takuan as person as he even thought Musashi about what is life, death and what it means to take a life. You have to say before that Musashi was not the best person and after that his one goal is to battle, he does care for people but takes so long for him to demonstrate

Yes, I think I know what you mean, Bunnet. Musashi, as he is now, is someone to be scorned as a human being as much as admired (I said as much myself in the Matahatchi thread, quoted below), just as Takuan feels about him, and Musashi himself is also vaguely aware as it's becoming more and more a focus of the story currently. Is dedicating yourself to the spiral of death and killing in the name of your own greatness at the expense of everything else so... great?

宮本 武蔵 said:
Musashi's not there yet, he's come close, it's been right on the tip of his tongue, he knows something's not quite right, especially after killing 70 men, but he still hasn't quite been able to admit he's been wrong; instead, despite his insights, his vague questioning of himself, he's yet to answer, instead he's always returned to form... like Matahatchi used to do. But, like Matahatchi, like all of us, he can still overcome, no matter how many setbacks, relapses, or new mistakes it might take. There's some Matahatchi in all of us, even Musashi, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Griffith

Haha, I don't know about that, I think there's a lot more to be said about all these things and that we should keep challenging ourselves with these ideas.

Griffith

I need to pick this up ASAP. I'm curious to see if it's at any of the local borders as all I'm seeing is Vagabig now.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Mine still hasn't shipped out ... I;m wondering if they have a shortage of them. I always look forward to Inoue's in-betwen-chapter doodles :judo:

Griffith

Yeah, the doodles are like the subconscious of the series, really not complete without them. I haven't seen the new volumes at Borders either, so I'm just going to order it from Amazon with Berserk volume 29. I can't afford to pay those in store prices anyway; it's the Vagabond lifestyle. =)

UPDATE: Ordered my Vagabond 29, should be here next week, just in time for new episodes of Vagabond and Berserk! Didn't get Berserk 29 though because it said it would arrive in... 1-3 months!? :???:

Might as well take my chances in the stores or wait until it's readily available.

UPDATE 2: Got it today. Very good stuff, as usual, cleared up a lot of things up that were muddled in fan translations, and of course, got the doodles. =)

Some great dialogue, especially between Musashi and Takuan, and a whopping 4 extra pages added to that section alone, most of it further illustrating Takuan's literal enlightenment. Anyone else gotten it yet and noticed something new or different from your initial expectations? Grovel? Wally?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
宮本 グリフィス said:
Some great dialogue, especially between Musashi and Takuan, and a whopping 4 extra pages added to that section alone, most of it further illustrating Takuan's literal enlightenment. Anyone else gotten it yet and noticed something new or different from your initial expectations? Grovel? Wally?
Mine is shipping along with Berserk vol 29, which is currently out of stock so ... whoops. I'm really looking forward to those extra pages though.

宮本 グリフィス said:
Anyone else gotten it yet and noticed something new or different from your initial expectations?

I have not been following the fan translations recently (mainly because the site where I was getting them stopped doing them!) so it was all new to me. Nice to have a completely fresh volume to read though, without being corrupted or confused by imperfect translations.

Griffith

Grovel said:
I have not been following the fan translations recently (mainly because the site where I was getting them stopped doing them!) so it was all new to me. Nice to have a completely fresh volume to read though, without being corrupted or confused by imperfect translations.

That's true, but I actually like getting the added perspective of the alternate translations, even if the quality leaves something to be desired overall. It gives you a different look at the material and can clarify and add depth to one's understanding of specific parts where a different translating choices could be made.

SLOGG!
mushi.gif

宮本 グリフィス said:
That's true, but I actually like getting the added perspective of the alternate translations, even if the quality leaves something to be desired overall. It gives you a different look at the material and can clarify and add depth to one's understanding of specific parts where a different translating choices could be made.

I can agree with that too, in fact you have inspired me to get my lazy arse into gear and am currently searching out the latest translations.

Griffith

I was re-reading this volume recently, particularly the conversation between Takuan and Musashi where they discuss if there are any winners in these fights, Takuan clearly taking the stance that there aren't based on how Musashi feels about his victories. It makes me think if what Ittosai says about being bored is his own way of acknowledging this feeling.

Grovel said:
I can agree with that too, in fact you have inspired me to get my lazy arse into gear and am currently searching out the latest translations.

How did that work out for you, Grovel, or how's your following the series going overall?

I am right up to date now thanks, it's nice to keep on top of developments. :guts: (awesome emoticon by the way)

Nothing beats getting a new volume in my hands though, not too long to wait now for vol 30 (from Amazon Nov 17th!)

On a side note, does anyone have any of the Japanese volumes? - I wondered how they compared to the Viz editions quality wise. I would think that there shouldn't be too much difference (unlike the Dark Horse Berserk volumes) as the Viz copies seem to be such sharp and clear prints.

Griffith

Grovel said:
I am right up to date now thanks, it's nice to keep on top of developments. :guts: (awesome emoticon by the way)

Haha, thank you, and I have to ask what you think of Musashi's latest predicament?

Grovel said:
Nothing beats getting a new volume in my hands though, not too long to wait now for vol 30 (from Amazon Nov 17th!)

Yeah, it's been too long, and I already want 31 too! :ganishka:

Grovel said:
On a side note, does anyone have any of the Japanese volumes? - I wondered how they compared to the Viz editions quality wise. I would think that there shouldn't be too much difference (unlike the Dark Horse Berserk volumes) as the Viz copies seem to be such sharp and clear prints.

Actually no, I've always collected Vagabond through Viz. I know that Walter and Uriel have some of the JP volumes though, so maybe they can enlighten us? One thing I can say though is I like the Japanese covers better since they don't interfere at all with the presentation of the back cover art.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
For Vagabond, the Viz editions are much more true to the japanese versions in quality than the shift in quality for Berserk between Dark Horse and the japanese versions.

I actually like Viz' editions better than the japanese ones personally. The cover is of higher-stock paper. More sturdy and high-quality. And Im at work now and cant do a direct cross-comparison, but Id even say the paper quality is better in the Viz versions.

Griffith

Walter said:
For Vagabond, the Viz editions are much more true to the japanese versions in quality than the shift in quality for Berserk between Dark Horse and the japanese versions.

You could knock me over with a feather-sword! :guts:

Walter said:
I actually like Viz' editions better than the japanese ones personally. The cover is of higher-stock paper. More sturdy and high-quality. And Im at work now and cant do a direct cross-comparison, but Id even say the paper quality is better in the Viz versions.

I've wondered about that, the Viz Vagabond paper quality is higher than in any manga I've ever seen stateside or from Japan. As a matter of fact, speaking of REAL, I was looking at some volumes at Barnes & Noble months back and was kind of turned off by the average paper quality. Viz Vagabond has spoiled me.

グリフィス said:
Haha, thank you, and I have to ask what you think of Musashi's latest predicament?

I'll make a post about his latest situation in the current episodes thread, seems more appropriate to comment there.

Top Bottom