Episode 301

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Psymont 2.0 said:
for the record, i reserve the right to have a problem with a berserk concept once every five years...

Everytime you post, basically. :ganishka:

Psymont 2.0 said:
as far as the tail thing goes; its not that complicated... remove the irvine torso from the back of the beast, put his face somewhere on the front of the beast and have the tail reach upto the bow and fire away...

But where on the front? The giant eye takes all the space on the head... And what would hold the arrows in place in order to aim? The tail as well? What would fashion the arrows from the tail's hair?

Aazealh said:
But where on the front? The giant eye takes all the space on the head... And what would hold the arrows in place in order to aim? The tail as well? What would fashion the arrows from the tail's hair?

if there is one thing that berserk apostles should have taught us all by now, it is that there is always room for an extra face...
the tail could have been prehensile... there could have been more than one(though that would be a bit too naruto-ish)... humanish arms sticking out from the should blade area could have fashioned the arrows... i am not saying that it would be any less strange, just more palatable... it doesnt matter... its done; or atleast it will be once serpico gets a hold of him :daiba:

I think "mind fuck" describes my feelings fairly well. I recall years ago when I first rented the Berserk anime series from a little place called "Orbit Comics and Cards." I watched the entire set in one sitting and I couldn't get enough. After episode 25, I was truly upset. In a kind of rushed anxiety I called Orbit to ask if they had season two in stock. Quan, the clerk, said: "Hahaha nah, sorry man. There is no season 2, but the series can be followed through the comics." So again, in a kind of rushed anxiety I downloaded the comics, which eased be a bit. But now, that same feeling of rushed anxiety is coming back as the possibility of Guts getting revenge is literally going further and further out to sea. Is it Miura's intention to force us into the position, like that of Guts, of forgiving and forgetting Griffith?

Guts intestines

Yer breath is bad... It'll go away with yer head
deathbybears said:
I think "mind fuck" describes my feelings fairly well. I recall years ago when I first rented the Berserk anime series from a little place called "Orbit Comics and Cards." I watched the entire set in one sitting and I couldn't get enough. After episode 25, I was truly upset. In a kind of rushed anxiety I called Orbit to ask if they had season two in stock. Quan, the clerk, said: "Hahaha nah, sorry man. There is no season 2, but the series can be followed through the comics." So again, in a kind of rushed anxiety I downloaded the comics, which eased be a bit. But now, that same feeling of rushed anxiety is coming back as the possibility of Guts getting revenge is literally going further and further out to sea. Is it Miura's intention to force us into the position, like that of Guts, of forgiving and forgetting Griffith?

I don't think Griffith's new powers from becoming a God Hand, the Idea of Evil, nor Griff's army of apostles will be enough to stop Guts from at least trying to separate Griffith's head from his torso.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Psymont 2.0 said:
still having a hard time coming to terms with Irvine's transformation... the reverse centaur works for me in one piece though... if he pulled the bow with his tail and has his head down in the front it would have been easier to digest...
Psymont 2.0 said:
as far as the tail thing goes; its not that complicated... remove the irvine torso from the back of the beast, put his face somewhere on the front of the beast and have the tail reach upto the bow and fire away...
Psymont 2.0 said:
if there is one thing that berserk apostles should have taught us all by now, it is that there is always room for an extra face...
the tail could have been prehensile... there could have been more than one(though that would be a bit too naruto-ish)... humanish arms sticking out from the should blade area could have fashioned the arrows... i am not saying that it would be any less strange, just more palatable...

Gobolatula

praise be to grail!
By the time Guts faces Griffith, he is going to be up against those perceived as the "good guys." Unless Griffith's apostle army wreaks havok and goes on a human-devouring feast after he is crowned, Guts will be "the bad guy."

We're really at the most interesting part of the story, in my opinion. Nothing is straightforward anymore (not like it has been). But Griffith is getting victory, favor, and godhood.

This is "Griffith's story's peak," I'd say. Gut's story will peak at Elfhelm and what happens there. Who knows what the hell will be revealed or fixed or broken...

Good luck, Guts!

Thanks for the episode.

Don't humans have that feeling that has been referred to since Apostles started to show in Berserk, because even if they think that Apostles are friends now, they should still have that feeling :chomp:

Don't you think?

Thanks for the episode scanbot! Damn... I can't think about anything right now and the people talking about mind fuck are right, I don't know what to think anymore. I saw something along that line coming but definitely NOT THAT!!! Humans and apostles fighting alongside and caring about each other...THAT IS DISGUSTING! :chomp: Great job Miura, great episode!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
I was a little disappointed with Irvine's apostle form. Would have looked better if the rider's body was positioned more towards the middle. Doesn't look all that great when positioned at the ass end.

It's about time they went after Ganishka.

Is it Miura's intention to force us into the position, like that of Guts, of forgiving and forgetting Griffith?

I reeeeally don't think that's going to happen anytime soon. As much as I love the bastard, I can't honestly see Griffith 'redeemed' or being sympathetic again until.. probably near the end of manga? :/

He won't remain static forever, that's for sure. His character is meant to change and developed to keep him intresting... but right now? I think it's too early to say that it was Miura intention of showing Griffith in a different light.

Xans-Griffith

Everything changes.
noni_moon said:
As much as I love the bastard, I can't honestly see Griffith 'redeemed' or being sympathetic again until.. probably near the end of manga? :/

http://www.freewebs.com/xyrp/griffredeemed.html

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
KazigluBey said:
I was a little disappointed with Irvine's apostle form. Would have looked better if the rider's body was positioned more towards the middle. Doesn't look all that great when positioned at the ass end.

Instead I think that his form is simply perfect and cool. I think it's very researched and he is detached from usual centaurs or anyway from those beasts (like most FF weapons) that has the body in the middle of the beast.
Moreover Locus is already that way, then it would have been repetitive, isn't it? :carcus:

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
I think Irvine looks awesome personally. It's just a wolf with a man attached to its rear end, . The way the arrows split is awesome! I can't imagine anything cooler than riding an apostle into battle though. Does anyone else think Big Bird was the least terrifying apostle we've seen so far?

How are the apostles losing by the way? Anyone remember how injured Wyald was after fighting Guts, and he just kept moving. I thought the only way to really harm an apostle was to rip their body to shreds, or leave nothing left of their head.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Daijyashin said:
Instead I think that his form is simply perfect and cool. I think it's very researched and he is detached from usual centaurs or anyway from those beasts (like most FF weapons) that has the body in the middle of the beast.
Moreover Locus is already that way, then it would have been repetitive, isn't it? :carcus:

I'm not a Miura fanboy so I don't think everything that he creates is beyond criticism. I've never been a fan of the additional face or head when the apostles are in their apostle form. That's just an aesthetic thing, I'm not criticizing the creativity behind the creatures themselves.

Why do you assume it is very researched? Other than the fact that it doesn't look like a centaur? I don't see any reason why Irvine would have changed into some horse form so it doesn't really matter. Irvine is attached to a creature that is anatomically complete. I think the slingshot between the horns isn't all that great either.

Having Irvine's body in the center of the beast would look more like he was a rider and not some growth on the creature's ass. It wouldn't look anything like Locus because Locus comes across as looking metallic, while obviously Irvine's apostle form is covered with fur. I didn't mention anything about removing the horned head of the beast, so again it wouldn't look anything like a centaur.

Daijyashin

Berserk is Divine and Human
KazigluBey said:
I'm not a Miura fanboy so I don't think everything that he creates is beyond criticism. I've never been a fan of the additional face or head when the apostles are in their apostle form. That's just an aesthetic thing, I'm not criticizing the creativity behind the creatures themselves.

I'm not a blind fanboy, when I find things I don't agree with I express my disappointment, such as the caress on apostle from the soldiers.
And I'm not saying that I'm absolutely right. It is just my opinion.

KazigluBey said:
Why do you assume it is very researched? Other than the fact that it doesn't look like a centaur? I don't see any reason why Irvine would have changed into some horse form so it doesn't really matter. Irvine is attached to a creature that is anatomically complete. I think the slingshot between the horns isn't all that great either.

I made a general explanation (involving other beasts such as weapons) to express the original style of Irvine's form, but as I said before it's not an absolute statement, so we have just different points of view.

KazigluBey said:
Having Irvine's body in the center of the beast would look more like he was a rider and not some growth on the creature's ass. It wouldn't look anything like Locus because Locus comes across as looking metallic, while obviously Irvine's apostle form is covered with fur. I didn't mention anything about removing the horned head of the beast, so again it wouldn't look anything like a centaur.

Yes the difference lies in metal. :guts:
But anyway if you say that no changes would have occurred, then I think that if you put the body on the middle it would be too close with the horns and a bit far towards the tail.
Then I think that some little changes would be necessarily anyhow.
However It's just my thought, nothing absolute.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
deathbybears said:
Is it Miura's intention to force us into the position, like that of Guts, of forgiving and forgetting Griffith?

Guts has been forced to put his revenge aside, but he hasn't forgiven nor forgotten Griffith.

Gobolatula said:
By the time Guts faces Griffith, he is going to be up against those perceived as the "good guys." Unless Griffith's apostle army wreaks havok and goes on a human-devouring feast after he is crowned, Guts will be "the bad guy."

Who knows? Like you said yourself, nothing's straightforward at this point. :SK:

fuxberg said:
Don't humans have that feeling that has been referred to since Apostles started to show in Berserk, because even if they think that Apostles are friends now, they should still have that feeling :chomp:

Don't you think?

But the situation is too chaotic and too grand for that now. There are monsters everywhere, and Ganishka himself is ominously towering above them all, representing the ultimate threat. But more than that, they're all engulfed in the flow of Griffith's aura, like we can see through the eyes of the Pontiff. That feeling as you call it was still present in episode 299:

Episode299-ApostleAura.jpg

But now it has been overridden. Maybe it's only temporary, maybe not. Perhaps it's part of the changes Griffith and his actions (that led to Ganishka's transformation among other things) are bringing to the world.

Okin said:
I think Irvine looks awesome personally. It's just a wolf with a man attached to its rear end, .

The only "wolf" parts are the legs. The rest is all taken from different animals.

Okin said:
Does anyone else think Big Bird was the least terrifying apostle we've seen so far?

I'm not going to post pictures but there were some pretty silly ones during the Occultation ceremony as well.

Okin said:
How are the apostles losing by the way? Anyone remember how injured Wyald was after fighting Guts, and he just kept moving. I thought the only way to really harm an apostle was to rip their body to shreds, or leave nothing left of their head.

It depends on the apostle I think. But I don't believe they're losing anyway. Some have been wounded, but we've only seen one dead one so far (head and neck ripped off). You should also understand that it's easier for monsters to be injured by other monsters than by humans. Those Ganishka spawns have some pretty big teeth on them.

KazigluBey said:
Why do you assume it is very researched?

Because it's reminiscent of mythical creatures yet is totally unique, all the while perfectly embodying what the character of Irvine is all about and remaining consistent with it?

KazigluBey said:
I think the slingshot between the horns isn't all that great either.

Yeah, I'm sure you could have come up with something way better. Just kidding.

KazigluBey said:
Having Irvine's body in the center of the beast would look more like he was a rider and not some growth on the creature's ass.

Him looking like a rider isn't the point. He is the beast. He's not like the lancers who fuse with their mounts. And like Daijyashin said, he couldn't shoot his weapon if he were there. That's the most obvious problem with what you're suggesting. Anyway, since you don't like the horns either, I guess you'd have preferred a completely different design. Can't do much about that unfortunately.

initialdproject

I'm stalking you....
Reading the translation posted with the image has given a different context to the end of the episode. I thought that Pontiff's speech was eerie to the point of sinister as he talks about humans adaptation to the unknown. Talking about the absolute unknown I guess refers to Ganishka but it also seems to refer to a future unknown beyond human's capability of understanding. I would love to see Griffith lead his people into a utopia environment and then see him sacrifice all the humans to such an future unknown. Why would he? No idea. Maybe I just want to resist the idea that Griffith's actions could be more beneficial than his death by Guts' hands.

X

Xem

I like Irvine's apostle form. Isn't it the point for apostles to look a little "off"? At first I thought Irvine's form was strange, and I was little uncomfortable with it, then I realized that's the whole point. You should feel like there's something wrong, imho. Matter of fact the only apostle I don't feel that way about is Zodd, who is just badass in every way possible.

Also, the bird apostle looks more menacing than Roshinu did.

About the episode, it's really making my head spin. Love it love it love it. I've always had a feeling that Guts would end of having to fight against humans as well as apostles in order to finally have a chance for revenge. Even though it's a totally horrible source, if you look back at episode 1 of the anime, the same thing had happened. Even if Griffith is truely a tyrant, he'll still have a human army, he's frickin' King afterall.

The world may be dark, but it's always going to be much darker for Guts. Let's just hope Casca can help along the way. :casca: :guts:

Lastly, I for some reason can't help but wonder about Skull Knight amidst all this. I wonder when the next opportunity for him to show up will be. I doubt we'll see him on Skellig, and I doubt he's going to show up around Griffith's story randomly (though I'd love for it to happen)... I get this scary feeling like it's going to be possibly a good year or two before we see him. =(

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Deci said:
I doubt he's going to show up around Griffith's story randomly (though I'd love for it to happen)... I get this scary feeling like it's going to be possibly a good year or two before we see him. =(

I don't think it'd be out of the ordinary for him to show up at such a turning point in the series. He was there for Griffith's incarnation, after all. I could see him watching the current events playing out from a distance.

Aazealh said:
The only "wolf" parts are the legs. The rest is all taken from different animals.

Its a wolf + some big game animal.

Wolf represents the 'lone' aspect.

'Big game animal' represents hunting. Which Irvin is - a lone hunter type.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Deci said:
Also, the bird apostle looks more menacing than Roshinu did.

Are you sure about that? :beast:

Rosine-MONSTER.jpg

Deci said:
Lastly, I for some reason can't help but wonder about Skull Knight amidst all this. I wonder when the next opportunity for him to show up will be. I doubt we'll see him on Skellig, and I doubt he's going to show up around Griffith's story randomly (though I'd love for it to happen)...

Why do you doubt that he'll appear in Skellig?

ironman said:
Its a wolf + some big game animal.

As far as I can tell it's more than two animals, not to mention the parts that aren't taken from anything at all. If you disagree, I'd be very interested to hear the name of that mysterious big game animal.

ironman said:
Wolf represents the 'lone' aspect.

'Big game animal' represents hunting. Which Irvin is - a lone hunter type.

Wolves live in packs most of the time. And his name is Irvine.

Top Bottom