Game of the Year, 2008

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
This thread shouldn't only show our personal picks, but how we expect the major review sites to vote when it comes around to Dec. 31. FOr example, X-Play has already chosen Fable 2 as its game of the year. (bleeech).

My personal pick is Left 4 Dead. I've already gotten more hours of enjoyment out of it than any other game released this year.

I predict most sites will pick Gears of War 2 or Fallout 3.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Wii Music! :troll:

More seriously, I also think Gears of War 2 and Fallout 3 will be receiving most of the awards.

Easily Gears 2. But I also see Fallout 3 as a heavy contender (even though I'm not a fan of that company's games). Personally I think Dead Space should get a few nods.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
indie game of the year : World of Goo

seriously, check it out
I've bought it for both Steam and Wii Ware. I enjoyed it, but it didn't have a lot of replay value. Still a fucking solid effort for a very small gaming company (2 guys).

No love for Braid? :judo:

Anyway, I'll second Walter's choice of Left 4 Dead. Fantastic game.

For pure personal satisfaction though, I'll throw in The Last Remnant; plenty of faults, but it holds a special place in my heart.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Easy pick: Gears of War 2
It's an amazing game, way better than the first in every aspect. Get a friend to play with you and it's a fest of dropped jaws from start to finish.

It's an amazing game, way better than the first in every aspect. Get a friend to play with you and it's a fest of dropped jaws from start to finish.

Horde mode is where it's at. There are 4 of us that play it. Waiting for the 5th to get his 360 fixed so we can move on to Insane.

Nominees: Metal Gear Solid 4, Fallout 3

Wow, I can't believe I forgot MGS4. I've been so wrapped up in Gears that I forgot all about it. Man, now it's a tough choice cause MGS4 was/is an excellent game.

But being a huge fan of the hack and slash genre, I also can't forget Devil May Cry 4 (even though that game should have been much better than it actually was it was still good).

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Super Smash Bros Brawl :troll:

But actually, I didn't play many new games this year... a combination of being poor and also a lot of traveling. Can I pick Mother 3?

S

smoke

AGE OF CONAN

not really. that game ended up sucking ass after a while.

I haven't really played much for new video games this year.

Also, I'm annoyed that Game of the Year awards seem to go to shooters (either first person, or third person) about 80% of the time. Why does no one love RTS games? :azan:

I wish Shuemue 3 would come to fruition. But my pick is Fall Out 3. Very good. Left 4 dead is pretty additive. Fable 2 fell a bit short. I never played gears of war, watch it a lot, really wasn't my thing. Much like Halo.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Death May Die said:
I wish Shuemue 3 would come to fruition. But my pick is Fall Out 3. Very good. Left 4 dead is pretty additive. Fable 2 fell a bit short. I never played gears of war, watch it a lot, really wasn't my thing. Much like Halo.

If Yu Suzuki ever makes a Shenmue 3, i'll cry of happiness. Shenmue 1 and 2 were probably the best single player games i ever played.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
Shenmue 1 and 2 were probably the best single player games i ever played.
WELCOME.JPG

X

Xem

Haven't gotten a chance to play very many games, I saw a friend playing Resistance 2 last night and I have to say it looked pretty amazing. My vote's going to Wrath of the Lich King though, it was a huge upgrade for WoW, and I'm still loving every minute of it, even leveling for a second time from 70-80, it hasn't gotten old or boring in the slightest.

My personal favorites are: Mass Effect and Fallout3

But i guess Fallout3 will take the prize away..
I can't really see any other game oppose it, it has been the most expected game of the year and it got excellent ratings. But, for me it's a little overrated...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Guts' intestines said:
So no one thinks that GTA IV or Little Big Planet might take it?

GTA IV has its chances. LBP though, I don't think so. Hasn't met enough success. Then again, it depends on who you ask. If there's a category tailor-made for it, it'll get it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I think it'll be Fallout as well. I have the game but haven't managed to get that far into it. I find it a little hard, as in difficult, but I haven't put in much time and effort because I've been busy with other things. It is an incredible game though.
I also think Metal Gear Solid 4 deserves a nomination and I can't forget Devil May Cry 4 either. For a personal choice I'd like to throw out Valkyrie Chronicles for ps3 and Call of Duty 4 gave the best online multiplayer first person shooter ever. And as far as indie games go Braid deserves that. If you haven't had a chance to experience Braid yet you don't know what your missing. Just from the first few minutes of playing you know it's going to be something special. N+ was also massive amounts of fun too.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Fuxberg's message is a little misleading. IGN only has their awards up for select systems, including PS3, PSP, DS and PC.

Game of the year for these platforms are:
PS3: MGS4
PSP: Patapon
DS: The World Ends With You
PC: Sins of a Solar Empire  :schierke:

Top Bottom