Game of the Year, 2008

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Scorpio said:
Can any big games released these days really claim to be innovative? They are all (mostly, anyway) repackaged tweaks of past games.
Obviously... but Dead Space more than most -- from what I've read.

Well seeing as you guys havent played Dead Space, I'll point out the HUD built into the suit and its holographic displays is one of the most brilliant moves in making games more immersive and overall stream lined system. I've not seen a game before that has done something like this. I've seen similar ideas but never to the extent in Dead Space.

Oh and yes, it does borrow a ton of elements from other videogames like System Shock and RE4 as well as movie things like imagery from Aliens and Event Horizon. However this game works for me because its more than the sum of its parts, it such a well crafted game. It takes a lot of elements, combines them and makes it its own... oh and NO TANK CONTROLS!!!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
Well seeing as you guys havent played Dead Space, I'll point out the HUD built into the suit and its holographic displays is one of the most brilliant moves in making games more immersive and overall stream lined system.

The built-in HUD is a good idea and I agree that it's pretty neat and immersive overall, but it's not a revolution either. Don't take it as if I didn't like the game though, I think it's amazing and I'll be expecting its inevitable sequel. It's just that personally I expected specialized magazines and websites to choose other games for their GOTY award, and it looks like I was right.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I went through Dead Space twice and while it was a good game it does not deserve to be nominated for game of the year. Especially against games like Fallout 3 or MGS4.

Ugh Fallout 3? No game should punish you with bad controls until you can get enough points to get better ones. Had the same problem with Fable 2, except it was a much simpler and better executed concept.

Then again I've always disliked Bethesda's stuff. Thought Oblivion and the like were trash, basically jacks of all trades but masters of none. I feel the same for Fallout 3... and man was it ugly, some of those textures looked straight out of the wii.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
mm9.jpg

Walter said:
I personally don't play a game for texture resolution. :troll:

You may not but I see graphical ugliness as a sign of both laziness and inability to make program decent graphics. If GTA IV can look as good as it does then whats stopping Betheseda. I also include the fact that Fallout 3 is as glitchy as Fable 2 in that conclusion. We had to stop several times because of bugs which was a major major pain in the butt.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
HawaiianStallion said:
You may not but I see graphical ugliness as a sign of both laziness and inability to make program decent graphics. If GTA IV can look as good as it does then whats stopping Betheseda. I also include the fact that Fallout 3 is as glitchy as Fable 2 in that conclusion. We had to stop several times because of bugs which was a major major pain in the butt.
I don't know why I'm defending Fallout 3, since I only KIND of like it. But first off, you don't "program" graphics in the sense you mean -- texturing. That comes from artists devoting hundreds of hours to texturing a huge world. Rockstar may have the capital to hire teams of people to texture their vast city, but maybe Bethesda doesn't? It hardly mattered to me. What was important in Fallout 3 was the scope of the world, and all the different locales. The zoomed-in nitty gritty superficial details, like low-res textures, were of little importance next to the size of the game.

X

Xem

Usually companies focus on graphics for the same reason they make a point to put a huge-boobed ditsy girl in their games. Not that I'm complaining about either, but most of the best games ever made (not just 2008), have very sub-par graphics.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I contend that most of the best games ever made actually have outstanding graphics. That's not graphics in the sense of just the technology and power available and utilized at the time, but the more artistic and visual design aspects of the graphics.

X

Xem

Griffith said:
I contend that most of the best games ever made actually have outstanding graphics. That's not graphics in the sense of just the technology and power available and utilized at the time, but the more artistic and visual design aspects of the graphics.

Yeah, I didn't put them in the perspective of when they were released. My point was that these games are still better than games today, even though in comparison their graphics suck really, really bad. Though I'll agree that from an artistic standpoint they may still be better.

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
Ug, the graphics discussion again. Well, I'll echo Griffith but add this. Most of the time, games with really good graphics have them not just because of cramming pixles onscreen, but because of solid art direction and team interest and talent. Talented and inspired teams produce better games, so it goes hand in hand. Also, knowing that the game you're making is shaping up well helps a lot with motivation, which is pretty key.

Jumping in on the Fallout 3 thing, I enjoyed the game and thought the graphics were good enough, but the grey style got really boring and monotonous along with the gameplay. Things can be gritty and still have some saturation and color, Gears 2 proved this much, but Fallout 3 kinda failed there.

Getting back on topic, my personal choice fo GotY for 360 would be Dead Space, but I've never been interested in GTA. Maybe attending college near LA feeds me enough of the crime drama. Gears 2 was good, but was a bit too brotastic for me to considder.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Vaxillus said:
Jumping in on the Fallout 3 thing, I enjoyed the game and thought the graphics were good enough, but the grey style got really boring and monotonous along with the gameplay. Things can be gritty and still have some saturation and color, Gears 2 proved this much, but Fallout 3 kinda failed there.

Getting back on topic, my personal choice fo GotY for 360 would be Dead Space, but I've never been interested in GTA. Maybe attending college near LA feeds me enough of the crime drama. Gears 2 was good, but was a bit too brotastic for me to considder.
This is funny because people are saying the same shit about Diablo 3.

:mozgus: :"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS COLOR SHIT IN MY DARK LORD VIDEO GAME WAGABABABNLBALBLABLBLBL"

SaiyajinNoOuji said:

:mozgus: :"WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS COLOR SHIT IN MY DARK LORD VIDEO GAME WAGABABABNLBALBLABLBLBL"

:schnoz:
Talking behind my back again Saiya?

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Ramen4ever said:
:schnoz:
Talking behind my back again Saiya?

I see you when you pee Ramen :rakshas:

In any case though. Adding color to a game and giving it a slightly new art direction isnt the worst thing. I think people just need to try it out first.

IgnusDei

mmh-hmm good.
I can't really vote for sins of a solar empire: i did artwork for it, so I'm biased :p

So i'm gonna nominate Dead Space instead for its well executed gameplay, excellent art direction and a good story that doesn't invade your fun (i'm looking at YOU, Metal Gear Solid 4!).

Fallout 3 was good, but considering that it doesn't go over the bar set by oblivion by a whole lot, and cheaply held on to the legacy of the last games by smacking all the previous villains together, it doesn't deserve GOTY.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Personal Picks:

Best Console Game: Little Big Planet

Best Handheld Game: Patapon

Best Storyline: MGS4

Best Shooter: GoW2

Best RPG: Fallout 3

Best Sequel / Prequel: FF7 Crisis Core

Vaxillus

The one and only severed head
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

What always pains me about seeing this is that the second game wasn't that dark, and actually had a lot of color. The shadows in the second may have been a bit blacker and the pixelation made things seem more gritty, but most of those people don't seem to know what they're taking about.

If fallout had used the B&W more sparingly or put in more parts like a certain forest the game would have been more visually digestable.

I wouldn't know in which order to put my favorite games of 08 but here they are.

GTA4 (Good story, good graphics, good fun)
Ninja Gaiden 2 (There is just something about 100+ hit combos while limbs are flying all around you)
God of War chains of Olympus (kept me entertained on allot of long flights)
Sins of the Solar Empire (Sure was fun even tho hard when all of the other computer oponents ganged up on you)
Left 4 Dead (just fun)

Which I could add to this list:
Mass Effect (one of the most fun games I have ever played but I think this game was released in 07)
Red Alert 3 ( the previous two games rocked but this one sucked)

Top Bottom