1:1 scale replica of Berserker Helmet!!! ***SOLD OUT***

All Sold Out. 30 / 30. :beast:

Thank you to ALL that made this project possible!!! James and I are so thrilled people responded the way they did. I hope everyone that participated and that bought a helmet is 100% satisfied. Let's make the same happen for the Skullknight helmet too! :SK:

List of owners:
1. DirectDK
2. Bruhaha69
3. Nirvana
4. Cucu4coco
5. Lithrael
6. Maiku
7. Grovel
8. HITreza
9. Fusiongt
10. The Beast of Darkness
11. Wenjamin
12. Bashar
13. Wahaib
14. DenishWang2001
15. MarkG
16. Indio
17. Kodam
18. Hozer
19. Ebay Buyer
20. Ebay Buyer
21. Turkitage
22. Manjou
23. Houngim
24. Ckd5989
25. Shautieh
26. CWalls
27. Ryuu
28. TheBrandedMan
29. Zoliv
30. Chimaera

Here are the latest shots and video, 5/21/09!

P1050693_800.jpg

1900 x 1200 version

YOUTUBE LINK

DOWNLOAD FULL-RES LINK

ORIGINAL POST / BACKGROUND INFO said:
Ok, fellow Berserk fans! Some may have recalled I hinted at a cool new collectible/project a few weeks back... Well! I am here now to tell you all about it, and you're gonna dig it! :guts:

A few months ago I met someone who builds replicas of various props from TV shows, namely the Sci-Fi show, Battlestar Galactica (any fans on the boards???). For those that don't know, BSG is one KICK-ASS show and easily my favorite tv drama ever. I highly recommend it to everyone, even if you don't like sci-fi stuff (it doesn't even feel like a sci-fi show anyways).

But back to that someone... his name is James Perkins and he had sculpted several 1:1 scale replicas of the various helmets from BSG. They. Are. Amazing. This guy is one talented sculptor, and not only that, he molds/casts and paints as well. Truly a rare find! I recently received his last cylon centurion replica and was BLOWN AWAY. Here are some pics of what it looks like, and also a video I filmed of it last night.

Reference Shot

Video (MUST WATCH!)

Finished Pics
Front

In-Progress Pics
WIP 1
WIP 2

WORK-IN-PROGRESS FORUM THREADS
Cylon Centurion
Viper Pilot

Where am I going with this??? Well, naturally, A BERSERKER HELMET REPLICA!!! I discussed a commission with him and he is beyond ecstatic to work on it! He even went out on his own accord and got a hold of the DVDs and manga, and has already dove in the story. In fact, he is a new fan. :serpico:

In regards to the design, well there are 2 types of Berserker helmets in my mind. The realistic one (like the one on cover 31), and the pumped up crazy one. Hehe. I'm more inclined to go for the latter, because it's more what we are used to seeing, I really like the Z-shaped glowing red eyes, and I just feel like it's more interesting to look at. What do you all think?

As far as reference photos go, if anyone has any GOOD ones they can lead me to, that'll be awesome. For now, since it'll be very useful for James to have a 3D model to use as a reference, I will be mailing him the 1/8 Berserker kit by Headlong. For those that don't know, this is what it looks like:

berserkerref1.jpg

Painted up shots HERE

To me, this looks like the most accurate helmet, so I think it'll be best to use this as the reference. Again, if anyone else has suggestions, please share them with us.

He is ready to start sculpting the helmet at anytime, but of course, it's only worth it if there are other people who are interested. He can make anywhere from 20-30 per mold (and he says not to worry about loss of detail in the later casts). The final product will be made of high quality fiberglass (better than resin of course), and be 1:1 scale. For this particular helmet, he can also customize the eyes to glow red! As you can see from the centurion replica video, he has experience with lighting as well. Can you just imagine how AWESOME this will be?!?!

Moreover, he will assemble the replica and paint it all himself!!! According to him, if we get between 10-15 orders, he can finish assembling/painting all of them within 6-8 weeks AFTER the mold is done.

So of course, the question you guys are probably wondering is HOW MUCH? If we get 15 people to go in on this, then it'll be roughly $475 each. If we get even more than 15, then the price will go down. But seriuosly... $475, my friends? That is an amazing price for a custom sculpted life-size Berserk replica, fully painted and all!

He's not asking for any down payments, but if he's going to start sculpting, he'll need to know the general interest of the community. I told him I'm sure that there are several collectors here that would be interested, so don't make me out to be a liar! =P

Lastly, I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be SWEEEEET. Meaning, after this one is done, we can move on to a Griffith/Femto helmet replica, or maybe even a Skullknight replica. Can you imagine the awesomenessssss???!

So, who's in?!

A

avidwriter

Re: 1:1 scale replica of Berserker Helmet!!!

I would be interested but the price is keeping me at bay. If he did an awesome job and it was a must have I could pay maybe $250. I am interested to see the final product though and I hope others are and we can get this ball rolling.

X

Xem

Times like this really make me wish I had more money, though I think I'd prefer the old helmet from the Golden Age... but I'd pay for either if I could find the money. Here's hoping ~30 people are interested. :puck:

Deci said:
Times like this really make me wish I had more money, though I think I'd prefer the old helmet from the Golden Age... but I'd pay for either if I could find the money. Here's hoping ~30 people are interested. :puck:

Hey Deci, I'm a fan of Guts old helmet too! Who's to say we won't get to that one down the line also? :guts:

avidwriter said:
I would be interested but the price is keeping me at bay. If he did an awesome job and it was a must have I could pay maybe $250. I am interested to see the final product though and I hope others are and we can get this ball rolling.

I'm quite confident he will do an awesome job, but $250 is probably not going to happen unfortunately. I'm glad to hear you are interested, though! Maybe you'll change your mind when the final sculpt is unveiled! Hehe. :beast:

Maiku said:
I'm down for the pumped up crazy version.....GIVE ME SK!

Hehe, I knew I could count on you!

Cool project, wrong subject... =/

I was hoping for the original Hawks-helmets in which case I'd join in for the Guts and Casca ones ..
As for the berserker, I'll pass... ^^

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member

It's a great idea, but the price's a tad high for me right now, regardless of the fact it's pretty cheap for that kind of work. It'd be a different story if it were SK's helmet. :SK:

Dennis1981

Berserk Rulezzzzz

Does he only make helmets ?
Because I'm very interested in the idea of making a custom item of Berserk and I don't really mind how much it's gonna cost.
But I would prefer if we could do a whole statue instead of just a helmet.

Oh, WHY DO I HAVE TO BE A FULL-TIME STUDENT!? :judo:

As you can clearly see by the above response, I'm interested...I just don't have the cash right now. Personally, I'd prefer the Berserker helmet featured on the cover of vol. 31, rather than the "full-blown" Berserker helmet. I can't wait to see the finished product! :guts:

I'm interested, although I would like to see how the bottom jaw part will be done, as this is attached to the chest part of the armour. Seems like it may have to be more of a bust than just a helmet?

Gut's original Hawks helmet would be a definite must have, also Skully would be cool as has been mentioned.

Great idea!

I did pass on the last AOW statues to save some money for something like THIS!

Count me in. ;)

I'm interested but not putting my foot entirely through the door just yet. I'd like to see a 1st production before I'm full in. Not trying to say I don't trust his artistic abilities cause that Battlestar galactica helmet was pretty sweet!

Joa said:
Cool project, wrong subject... =/

I was hoping for the original Hawks-helmets in which case I'd join in for the Guts and Casca ones ..
As for the berserker, I'll pass... ^^

Awww Joa! I thought you and Cat would be a shoe-in. =P Hehe, okay, well it does seem like a lot of people would want an OG Guts helmet. I'll definitely keep that in mind for a future project. That, and a SK (ahem, Aaz, Maiku, Grovel) Hehehe.

The Guardian said:
Does he only make helmets ?
Because I'm very interested in the idea of making a custom item of Berserk and I don't really mind how much it's gonna cost.
But I would prefer if we could do a whole statue instead of just a helmet.

He's actually mentioned that one day he wants to build a full size statue of entire Battlestar Galactica Cylon Centurion, but that's more like a labor of love for him (he's a big BSG fan like myself). I don't think commissioning him to make a full size Berserk statue is really plausible right now, especially when that would cost several thousands of dollars to buy. What exactly did you have in mind?

Madam President said:
Oh, WHY DO I HAVE TO BE A FULL-TIME STUDENT!? :judo:

As you can clearly see by the above response, I'm interested...I just don't have the cash right now. Personally, I'd prefer the Berserker helmet featured on the cover of vol. 31, rather than the "full-blown" Berserker helmet. I can't wait to see the finished product! :guts:

Well start saving! =) Hehe. Or do I what I did in college... eat lots of ramen. J/K Yeah, I can't wait to see the finished product either. Actually, he is going to start sculpting soon, and I think we are going to go with the "full blown" helmet instead. Sorry about that!!! The few people I've talked to seem to be more interested in that version than the regular version. I hope you still decide to partake down the road. It's gonna be sweeeeet!

Grovel said:
I'm interested, although I would like to see how the bottom jaw part will be done, as this is attached to the chest part of the armour. Seems like it may have to be more of a bust than just a helmet?

Glad to hear you are interested, man. =) That's a good point too. I will talk that over with James.

HITReza said:
Great idea! I did pass on the last AOW statues to save some money for something like THIS! Count me in. ;)

WOOOOT =). Right on!

ori said:
I'm interested but not putting my foot entirely through the door just yet. I'd like to see a 1st production before I'm full in. Not trying to say I don't trust his artistic abilities cause that Battlestar galactica helmet was pretty sweet!

Cool, man. James said he's going to start sculpting now and doesn't expect people to be completely on board until they see how the sculpt turns out. So no worries about not putting your foot in completely. I'm glad that you are interested though, and we will definitely show you all in-progress pictures and so forth to keep everyone in the loop!

G

Genome

Nice project, you can add me to the wish list. :serpico:
Like the others here, I wish I could see a first shot of the item before jumping totally in the project. Well his work is impressive and I guess he can do a great work. Whatever, the price sounds a little bit hight. I think 400$ could be great. :miura:

Keep in touch.

Wattup all! Here are the first work-in-progress shots from James. Keep in mind, these are VERY EARLY pics. This is just the foundation. Also, please make a note of these few things (this is taken from an email he sent me):

1. The foam head cast I'm using as an armiture should be higher up and pushed forward slightly. I'm just using it to hold the clay and get a general reference of a relationship between the helmet and the subject. The fact that it is off a little doesn't effect the sculpt.

2. You can probably see some of the armiture for the bottom piece poking through with some blobs of clay on the face. Try to ignore that while looking at it--I'm just using it to help hold the shape in place. It will be gone when I'm finished.

3. The top and bottom are spaced apart more than the kit so that I can seperate them for molding.

4. Some of the things I see right away after looking at the pictures is that there is alot of mass that still needs to be removed. Also, after shortening the front as we discussed, I need to cut in to the "V" neck portion more. I am going to do the breastplate at the end, when I'm done with the main sculpt.

wip_011709_01.jpg

wip_011709_03.jpg

wip_011709_04.jpg

wip_011709_05.jpg

wip_011709_02.jpg

Any comment/suggestions are welcomed! Me personally, I have to say, IT'S LOOKING PRETTY FRICKIN FANTASTIC!!!

Russian Rainbow

The Prettiest Girl A Boy Can Be

Woah, that is looking great thus-far!

One thing I'd like that I haven't seen anyone mention is the helmet Griffith wore in the golden age, I've just always liked something about that helmet, that and of course Guts golden age helmet as well. ^_^

I'm impressed.

Input: more definition to the undercuts of the scales is a must. Remember, it's an armoured suit with movable parts. Though it will be a static sculpt, the thing has to be believable. I understand that this will be done later on, but I just wanted to point it out.
Also, IMO the nose tip should be more defined and not so pointy.

Gee ... I might have to rethink my involvement in this .... :carcus:

Looking very impressive, look forward to more updates - James seems to really know his stuff!

G

Genome

Very nice work. I confirm my order :serpico:

Oh my sweet lord. :isidro: I need to go get a job! God, I hate being a full-time student...

How does one go about sculpting something like this anyway?

cucu4coco

Who dat?!

Wow, it does look very nice. Like others, I would like to see later progress but you can count me in as someone who's interested. Have the glowing eyes been finalize yet? And what do people prefer, a clean bust or a bloody version? Or can he individually do this per people's interest? For me anyways, blood is always involved when Guts have roid rage! Lastly, does he have a rough estimate of the size dimension? Thanks.

Top Bottom