World Economy

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Well as days go by with this affecting a lot of places and people. I came to in this morning and saw that the yen to dollar ration dropped down to 86 yen to the dollar! :troll:

As a contractor who doesn't get any COLA (extra money to offset local currency exchange rate) and all of that stuff like many of the teacher and other GS-official employees, this really hurts.

So how is this craziness effecting you guys where ever you are? Also when do you think it's going to end or what would be needed to have it end.

I have heard that a lot of places are pumping their money into the yen thus why its getting stronger against the Euro and Dollar. Any one else care to add anything?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I got laid off in September due to the company I worked for having problems because of the economic situation. I'm still looking for work, but it's really tough out there. Every position I interview for has about ten other people with more experience applying for it. They say about 19 million people are out of work in the US right now.

Haha
Big Lol (to the world economy).

I guess this is just one of the signs of our critical state.
Who's to blame? I really don't care, i just want this to be fixed, then find the culprits.

But we've got some suspects:
- China's growing economy, with the European Union withdrawing their limitations on how much they could export to the EU just made them richer, and their prices are so ridiculously low that our own products can't compete, thus "we" fire people because "we" can't make enough money. (It's all about the moneyz :carcus:)

- Chinese and Indians have more money to spend, thus they buy neat things like, cars!, all right... The only problem is that a third of the world's population lives in that area. Will the Big Oil be able to supply them? (Everyone knows the answer is yes) But... And that's a big "but", some speculators thought that there wouldn't be enough oil for everyone, prices go up... Wee (Society as we know it is "based" on oil power).

-Another suspect are the Banks and the North-Americans surely know about this better than anyone else. (But why are the banks doing this, i don't really know).

Anyways, i think the time is right for change, and there's no better time for extreme parties to step up and set their governments... We've seen this happen in the past and this is the only thing i wrote that I'm sure of.

If anything is wrong up there don't mind it, I'm just writing from memory.

PS: I have no grudge against Asian people :troll:

SaiyajinNoOuji

ugggh, I hate anything extreme... Extreme Christians, Extreme Ranch Doritos, extreme anything just sucks.

I was reading some other places and people are saying that if it continues and the poor and middle class continue to get screwed that it will come to a "Eat the rich" type scenario and all hell will break loose.

Here is the email my friend had sent to me about our situation over here in Japan.

Yeah, dude. It’s not going to get any better until the world follows suite and drops their key interest rate. The US’s is at almost 0% for lending which it hasn’t been since the last great depression. Economists are predicting it to be this way at least until 1st quarter next year which would be up until March in laymen’s terms.

So that means shitty yen to dollar rates untill then. :judo:

I do hope they get it fixed before it gets much worse.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
ugggh, I hate anything extreme... Extreme Christians, Extreme Ranch Doritos, extreme anything just sucks.

I was reading some other places and people are saying that if it continues and the poor and middle class continue to get screwed that it will come to a "Eat the rich" type scenario and all hell will break loose.

I do hope they get it fixed before it gets much worse.

True, back here in the garden planted by the sea (Portugal) the middle class is struggling not to disappear, the lower classes (I find this categorization so diminishing, but that's another story) are even lower and we now have more homeless people since the installment of democracy, even educated young people (in their 20's/30's) with studies that can't find a job after University are getting food from Food Banks (Soup of the poor). A nice example is the Nurse's class, women won't get employed because "they're not strong enough to lift patients" (I've heard this) and even men find it difficult because Hospital Admins just find it cheaper to hire someone as an Auxiliary Assistant and let them learn their way in the hospital.

And then i wonder "What am i really doing in the University? I should be a carpenter, like Jesus! He was famous and if he were alive he'd be rich.."

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
Well as days go by with this affecting a lot of places and people. I came to in this morning and saw that the yen to dollar ration dropped down to 86 yen to the dollar! :troll:

As a contractor who doesn't get any COLA (extra money to offset local currency exchange rate) and all of that stuff like many of the teacher and other GS-official employees, this really hurts.

Rhombaad said:
I got laid off in September due to the company I worked for having problems because of the economic situation. I'm still looking for work, but it's really tough out there. Every position I interview for has about ten other people with more experience applying for it. They say about 19 million people are out of work in the US right now.

It really sucks to hear that guys. :sad: I really hope you both will manage to get around.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
So how is this craziness effecting you guys where ever you are? Also when do you think it's going to end or what would be needed to have it end.

I have heard that a lot of places are pumping their money into the yen thus why its getting stronger against the Euro and Dollar. Any one else care to add anything?

It's not affecting me too much. When the dollar got stronger against the Euro it was mostly a positive thing because my wife gets paid in dollars for the most part. Buying US games lost a lot of interest, though. I paid more for my US Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia than if I'd gotten a EU one, whereas they're usually at 60% of the EU price.

Concerning the Yen, the only way it bothered me is when buying stuff from Japan because the exchange rate is less advantageous than it was. Overall I really can't complain. I have absolutely no risk of losing my job, and I'll probably get a raise despite the crisis.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
This economy has not affected me one bit. One factor is that I am single so I dont have much spending to do. I am helping my dad get out of debt, and trying to help him pay off the pawn shop stuff he has there. Other than that I"m ok for the most part. I hope those who are struggling to go back to business as soon as possible.

Aazealh said:
Overall I really can't complain. I have absolutely no risk of losing my job, and I'll probably get a raise despite the crisis.

You're working with the Man! Traitor :ganishka:

(You live in France right?) I'm sure you are aware of the manifestations that are being held all over Europe (Greek problem, lol..), if only the Portuguese had the balls to step up and "shout" to the system...

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
I'm affected some... I had to move to a different state for a good job, and of course now my old house is sitting there in Florida not selling and eating up all my money. I've been living on a shoestring for almost two years and got myself into some pretty ridiculous credit card debt. And I'm probably going to end up having to split up with my SO so he can go find better work in yet another different state. Boooh. At least my job is great, so if/when the cockfucking house ever sells, I'll be ok again. Assuming I still have the job then. :puck:

I reeeeeeaaaaally don't want to end up underselling the house, taking out a loan to cover the rest of the mortgage, and spending the next ten years paying that off. Fucking hell.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
fuxberg said:
You're working with the Man! Traitor :ganishka:

I am the Man. :badbone:

fuxberg said:
(You live in France right?) I'm sure you are aware of the manifestations that are being held all over Europe (Greek problem, lol..), if only the Portuguese had the balls to step up and "shout" to the system...

Yeah I live in France. And I only vaguely follow the various related events in Europe. I'm more concerned with local train strikes to be completely honest.

Lithrael said:
I'm affected some... I had to move to a different state for a good job, and of course now my old house is sitting there in Florida not selling and eating up all my money. I've been living on a shoestring for almost two years and got myself into some pretty ridiculous credit card debt. And I'm probably going to end up having to split up with my SO so he can go find better work in yet another different state. Boooh. At least my job is great, so if/when the cockfucking house ever sells, I'll be ok again. Assuming I still have the job then. :puck:

I reeeeeeaaaaally don't want to end up underselling the house, taking out a loan to cover the rest of the mortgage, and spending the next ten years paying that off. Fucking hell.

Damn, that's pretty depressing... Well, at least you've got a good job.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Lithrael said:

Sorry to hear about all that, Lith. Hope things improve for you. :sad:

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
I've just been making every dollar stretch the best I can. I eat at work for free whenever I can and try not to blow to much money on unnecessary items. I use coupons whenever I can and will only buy books, cds, or games rarely and only when I could get them for the best possible deal. I always seem to do my best at something when I'm pushed against the wall, and with not making to much money it seemed to force me to make every dollar count. Being broke kind of builds character and makes you learn the value of a dollar, I suggest everyone try it out! :guts: But what the hell am I talking about, I still waste money on the most unnecessary item of all. Cigarettes! I'm sorry to hear that some of you are having hard times, but your boy Handsome is too! My biggest regret is screwing around and not finishing school when I should have. If I wouldn't have fucked around so much I would have been done with nursing school and the money squeeze wouldn't be so tight right now. Whoever started this thread is making me depressed, DAMN YOU SAIYA!

Good luck to everyone, and remember your boy Handsome's motto. It won't be like this forever! (I think)

There's some messed up stories, i can only wish the best of luck, and remember there's always a solution no matter how crappy the current situation may seem.

handsome rakshas said:
Good luck to everyone, and remember your boy Handsome's motto. It won't be like this forever! (I think)

A more appropriate motto would be Rick James (in Chappelle show) "I'm rich bitch!" (or at least change to "I'm gonna be"..):troll:

Aazealh said:
Yeah I live in France. And I only vaguely follow the various related events in Europe. I'm more concerned with local train strikes to be completely honest.

Lol i always thought that young french people had a different "social awareness" thing.

X

Xem

Lithrael said:
. And I'm probably going to end up having to split up with my SO so he can go find better work in yet another different state. Boooh.

I hope by "split up" you only mean distance wise? Otherwise I don't even know what the fuck to say, except I'm honestly sorry to hear that. Actually guess I mean that either way. I know if something like that happened with me and my SO I'd be pretty devastated. Wish you the best.

I'm pretty amateur when it comes to these things, but have you tried talking to anyone about that? I think if you can hold off for ~6 months things can become easier, and there's ways around credit debt, you just have to bite the bullet and slip them a few dollars for a while.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Lithrael said:

What about renting out the place while you are away?

Lithrael

Remember, always hold your apple tight
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

I tried that first, they wrecked the place. That's one of the delays in selling, I have to get contractors in to fix a bunch of stuff. And yeah, I've been talking to a few people, and I should be able to hold out and get everything rolling at the right time, it's just ya know, not a bowl of cherries or nothin'. Heheh.

But thanks everyone for your sympathies an' good wishes, it's really quite cheering. :guts:

And my own sympathies and good wishes to the others who're having it rough! I'll buy y'all a round someday!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
SaiyajinNoOuji said:

That's not always a good idea. She mentioned she's living in a different state so she wouldn't be able to inspect the property and keep up with repairs so she would have to find someone that does property management, even then she would have to find someone to do it for a reasonable amount that will actually check up on the property and keep up with the renter's complaints. Another thing to consider is the amount of damage the property could accumulate from negligent renters.

You can make money doing it, but there's a lot of risk in renting.

Okin

The Ultimate Battle Creature
It's reasons like these that I'm glad I live a sheltered life. I'm still going to be studying for the next few years, and my house has room for 2 extra families, so I pretty secure as long as my dad doesn't croak.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Okin said:
It's reasons like these that I'm glad I live a sheltered life. I'm still going to be studying for the next few years, and my house has room for 2 extra families, so I pretty secure as long as my dad doesn't croak.

That sounds good actually. I've always wished I was sheltered. I hate dealling with people, especially neighbors, on a daily basis.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Okin said:

You offering? :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
After nearly four months without a job after I was laid off in September, I'm finally employed again. I'm wrapping up my first day at work and it's great to be on a regular schedule again. Good luck to everyone who is still looking!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Congrats dude! I myself am looking for a new job, though I'm still employed. I'm just not being paid enough.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Event the city here is cutting down on costs. The hired goats to do some weed eating.

http://www.abc15.com/content/news/phoenixmetro/story/Mesa-using-unusual-tool-to-take-a-bite-out-of/Fv5rf7XEHEiM-P3zfVFb-g.cspx

Top Bottom