Official Sk.net Weightloss/gain Thread!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Hello boys and girls, geeks and jocks, trolls and... you get the drift.

While scavenging through the Happy news years thread I came across a good number of posts of people saying they want to lose weight. Well it accord to me that, instead of waiting for new years I just started losing weight instead, because I of course am tired of being a closet fatty.

What am I doing you ask? Well of course I'm exercising when I can and more importantly I'm trying to eat right. Two of the best resources I've come across was pointed out to me by my sister which is, http://caloriecount.about.com/ and http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalcs.html . It's a great help, especially since I for one was never familiar with what foods added what to my total calorie intake for a day and the other because it helps me calculate what my current calorie intake should be at currently.

For example my food log from a while ago looks like this:
whatiatetoday.jpg

My activity log from a while ago looks like this:
activitylog-1.jpg

Of course I don't exercise that hard all of the time, just when I'm bored and horny. It's really up to you how hard you want to exercise.

Anyways, I started weighing my self on December 8th, where I weighed in at 230.5 pounds. Nearly a month later of hard work and dieting, I was down to 215.5 by last Monday. My current goal weight is set at 200 by the end of February. Then after that, I don't know I'm not trying to get ahead of my self.

Anyways, hopefully this is able to help out my fellow sknet homies get into shape.

Best of Luck, Bub!

--------------------

I don't think I was very clear at first, but I meant this for people to talk about their own weight loss/gain goals. This wasn't really intended for arguments about benching, bulking up or what proteins to take.

Instead talk about what your current weight is, what you want to lose or gain, what you're doing about it and every now and then post about your current status. This is more intended to help encourage each other and if you want to make a suggestion to someones routine feel free to do so, but try to keep it to pm so we don't get off topic. Thank you!

Re: Official Sk.net Weightloss Thread!

I'm at a very steady 160. Though I plan to start jogging and working out again which will probably take me down to 154-ish before taking me back up to 160 again.

Good luck to all the people trying to get into shape. Just remember that if your consistent and determined, you can do anything. It's all a matter of not giving up.

X

Xem

I did a really great job of working out and eating tasteless food for about a month a while back. My goal wasn't necessarily to lose weight, but to shift my fat into muscle. I weighed around 210 pounds, and wanted to not only be in shape, but in good shape. So my goal was to be ~190-200 lbs. at a height of 6' 6''. I think I got myself to ~204 lbs. before I started cheating on my diet and eventually back to my bad drinking habits.

If there's one thing I learned about trying to get in better shape, it's don't get too hardcore about it. Allow yourself some butter and beer every once in a while, and take breaks from your workout schedule too. If you overexert yourself you'll just crash eventually. Your body has to adapt to your new lifestyle, but so does your mind. I think at one point shortly before I crashed I pretty much frothed at the mouth if I stepped into a restaurant or passed a fast food joint. It was pretty fucked.

For my new plan, when I stop procrastinating, is too eat a good healthy breakfast as much as I can (it actually makes you eat less overall throughout the day), cut out fast food altogether, but pretty much eat whatever I want for dinner, as long as I cook it myself, only cutting spices and butter way down on the recipes. Alcohol consumption will hopefully be cut down to weekends and special occassions. Also not actually scheduling workout sessions, but making a point to do it at least 3 times a week, for about an hour for each session (cross-training is the way to go btw). This way I'll have a lifestyle that still allows me to eat yummy food as well as continue to do things like go to parties and have a glass of delicious mountain dew every once in a while.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member

I've gained about 20 lbs since I moved to Tennessee in 2006. My goal is to lose that before July. :daiba:

I'll be eating better, attempting to do away with sodas (which is like, heroin for me), and jogging.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

I have been playing soccer and running since I was 7. So, right now I eat mostly what I want. But I do prefer to cook my own food and avoid fast food. I do eat fast at least once a week just not to feel like I"m in a diet.I only like the taste of sprite and dr. pepper, but hardly drink than more 3 per week. I"m at 170 lb right now. I run during the week about 4 times a week and weights. Then every sunday I climb "Camelback Mountain" close to where I live. Is about a 2 mile uphill run. It's pretty nice, I can see the entire city from there. IT's about 2000 feet high.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
God damn bastard who stole my idea
I was going to do this but make it a thread for all New Years resolution's in hopes that getting mocked by people on the internet would keep you honest in actually doing them! :mozgus:

SaiyajinNoOuji

fuxberg said:
What about me? I'm trying to gain weight :sad:
Eat six meals a day with lots of protein. Chicken, Broccoli, etc. Are you doing any weight lifting? I would imagine so if you are trying to gain weight.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew

Starting around Thanksgiving, when I ate two Thanksgiving dinners, one at home and the other at a friend's grandma's, I've basically been eating double capacity for the last month, basically cleaning any plates put in front of me, getting second and third helpings all the way, and always being "hungry" enough to get food socially, even if I already ate. Which led to me eating three Christmas Eve dinners: leftover Chinese, the big family dinner shortly thereafter, and another forray into homemade goodness at my friend's aunt's. Followed by two Christmas dinners the next day... so yeah, I'd say I've put on about 10-20 pounds this holiday season. Which, is fine by me, fatten up for winter, lose it for summer I always say. To lose I'll simply go back to eating normally and doing my usual warm weather activities such, basically running and basketball.

I also use the seasons to determine the growth and manliness of my facial hair. :carcus:

SaiyajinNoOuji

Just a few points of advice. If you are not one to really going to the gym, you can make a huge difference in your weight by just watching the portions you eat and making sure that you don't eat after 8PM or so. Just doing those two things will have great results!

One of the things that I did when I lost 15 pounds was to eat healthy during the week and have the greasy fast food over the weekend but limited to normal human portions and not the double-triple combo meals I would usually eat.

If you find your self starting to run and your lower back is hurting, its because your lower back muscles cant handle the stress. If you go swimming after running for about 30 minutes every day, your back will get stronger and you will be able to run with out pain. I did this and after two weeks I was back up to running three miles with no pain.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.

I also use the seasons to determine the growth and manliness of my facial hair. :carcus:

That's how I am Griff, I haven't shaved since Fall started, well it also helps when I"m running out in the cold wind.

Oburi

All praise Grail

THis is a great thread, thank you bob!

Like Fuxberg, I'm in the "need to gain weight" group. I'm 135lbs and really skinny. And I've made it my resolution to try and gain and maintain a healthy weight. I try to eat as much as I possibly can. I never eat fast food or anything but lately I've been pounding it down even when I know I'm full. I started drinking the whey protein shakes and two Ensure plus drinks everyday, on top of meals. I don't have a scale so I can't be 100% sure but I really don't notice any results yet. It's only been a month and I'll keep trying but damn is it annoying. It sucks having such a fast metabolism.

Oburi

All praise Grail

fuxberg said:
No it doesn't.

Sometimes it does. Like when you want to build muscle but it becomes so difficult because the food you eat doesn't really affect your weight. I don't know what I have to do.

Oburi said:
Sometimes it does. Like when you want to build muscle but it becomes so difficult because the food you eat doesn't really affect your weight. I don't know what I have to do.

I used to weigh 127 pounds when I was 14. I have a fast metabolism. It took me 3 years to get to a 160 that I could maintain without too much effort. Expecting bulking results after one month is laughable. How much do you work out on average per week?

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

Oburi said:

Here: http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_150/186b_fitness_tip.html

I'm one of those too, you'll need to put in a lot of effort and even then you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you'll probably never get bulky muscles (which doesn't bother me in the slightest, but keeping my upper body in shape is a pain).

I weigh 135, I need to gain weight too. I work out about 4 times a week, but it's hard for me to gain muscle.

Scorpio said:
you'll need to put in a lot of effort and even then you'll have to come to terms with the fact that you'll probably never get bulky muscles

I can attest to that... as I get stronger I get more ripped, but getting bulk seems impossible, though I have never combined my work out with a high protein diet, maybe that should be my next step. I've considered protein supplements, but I've always been under the impression that whatever muscle I gain from them will be lost as soon as I stop taking them, and I don't intend to drink 3 protein shakes a day for the rest of my life...

Bulking is only partially about diet. Are you guys lifting weights that are close to your one rep max? :carcus:

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.

I'm not sure about your workout, but keep in mind that if you do the same thing every time (even if you keep adding on a little weight) your muscles will get accustomed to your workout and won't grow anymore. A good way around this is to shock them back into action, do the same workout but with vastly increased weight but with only a few reps, or try a different kind of lift that works the muscle you want to grow in a different way, over even just simply changing the order of your regular exercises might do the trick.

I personally don't lift weights anymore, since I'm not trying to get huge. I stick with pushups, pullups, and situps (well, the 8 min ab routine I found on youtube) for the most part, and its been treating me pretty well. My legs take care of themselves with all the soccer and ultimate frisbee I play.

Oburi

All praise Grail

Scorpio said:
I'm not sure about your workout, but keep in mind that if you do the same thing every time (even if you keep adding on a little weight) your muscles will get accustomed to your workout and won't grow anymore. A good way around this is to shock them back into action, do the same workout but with vastly increased weight but with only a few reps, or try a different kind of lift that works the muscle you want to grow in a different way, over even just simply changing the order of your regular exercises might do the trick.

I personally don't lift weights anymore, since I'm not trying to get huge. I stick with pushups, pullups, and situps (well, the 8 min ab routine I found on youtube) for the most part, and its been treating me pretty well. My legs take care of themselves with all the soccer and ultimate frisbee I play.

Thats pretty much my workout too. But i know i should step it up, and I plan to go out and get some weights. But i am on the diet. Three protein shakes a day and as many meals as I can fit into the day. The problem is really that I don't have much time or money. I work 10 hour shifts and I get only one half hour and two fifteen minute breaks. Plus it's second shift so my schedule is all messed up. And money is another problem. The protein shakes and vitamens are expensive for me. I don't really cook and eating out gets to be a bit much. Its fucking hard lol. But there is some excellent posts here which gives me encouragement. Thanks a bunch guys!!! seriously.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Well I figured I'd edit the thread title so we can add those scrawny bastards to the list. Yeah, you skinny dick heads with your bones and visible ribs.

Scorpio said:
A good way around this is to shock them back into action, do the same workout but with vastly increased weight but with only a few reps, or try a different kind of lift that works the muscle you want to grow in a different way, over even just simply changing the order of your regular exercises might do the trick.

No. .. just no.

Vastly increasing the weight is something someone without experience would do. Go ahead try it. Get on the bench and do your normal 5-7 rep exercise.. then throw on 20-40 lbs. Great idea. It's the perfect way to injure yourself. Increase in intervals of 2-5 lbs. (5-10 on the bench). This goes especially for things like deadlifts, bench press, squats. Things that can injure you for a very long time if you fuck up. Increasing the weight is indeed the most sure way of bulking up. Your muscles are forced to adapt. But please refrain from throwing out random advice that doesn't make sense. Some people might listen and end up regretting it.

Also this whole bulking business really has nothing to do in this thread as it's not for weightloss. Weightloss exercises don't involve one rep max and deadlifts or the bench press. For weightloss its about getting your heart rate up and keeping it there for a good 2-5 minutes / set. You want to be sweating as much as possible for as long as possible. When I want to lose some fat I like to jump rope. It doesn't kill my ankles like running on pavement and it improves my fencing rhythm. Really it's also great if you live in a place that has snow and freezing weather for over 6 months a year. :guts:

Oh and most importantly.. don't forget to ice your injuries and sore muscles. Knowing how to speed up recovery is always a good skill. :serpico:

Edit.. Oh nvm bulking does have something to do with this thread!! :ganishka:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great

Ramen4ever said:
Oh and most importantly.. don't forget to ice your injuries and sore muscles. Knowing how to speed up recovery is always a good skill. :serpico:

Don't ice your muscles, use heating pads. Ice is for bones.

SaiyajinNoOuji

Ramen4ever said:
No. .. just no.

Vastly increasing the weight is something someone without experience would do. Go ahead try it. Get on the bench and do your normal 5-7 rep exercise.. then throw on 20-40 lbs. Great idea. It's the perfect way to injure yourself. Increase in intervals of 2-5 lbs. (5-10 on the bench). This goes especially for things like deadlifts, bench press, squats. Things that can injure you for a very long time if you fuck up. Increasing the weight is indeed the most sure way of bulking up. Your muscles are forced to adapt. But please refrain from throwing out random advice that doesn't make sense. Some people might listen and end up regretting it.

You shouldn't be doing this without a spotter or any weight lifting without one. What he had mentioned is a viable thing to do and I used to do it (while I was going to the gym) on occasion. its a good way to try to get past your plateau.

I would do a very large amount of weight maybe 2 or 3 times while my spotter helped me. After that I would go back down to my regular weight and it would seem lighter because in a sense you "tricked" your muscles into thinking that it was going to do that large amount of weight again.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Don't ice your muscles, use heating pads. Ice is for bones.

I've generally used ice on sprained and strained muscles. I don't use heating pads on sore muscles unless I'm about to get a massage. Ice reduces swelling and inflammation. It most certainly is not just for bones.

Top Bottom