Official Sk.net Weightloss/gain Thread!

Solarmaker

I am completly ready for a Zombie attack!
Well, I was 120 for years and then I got up to 135 just in the past three months. Now i'm not going to complain that i'm fat or over weight, i'd just like to be my solid 120 again. And for my height 4'10'' 120 was like borderline obese *that body mass index chart is STUPID* SO...either i'm pregnant XD or i've been eating way to much ice cream, which i have been doing a lot more then normal.

So here's the goal!

back to at least 130 by this time next month! Maybe i'll start Jogging! I'll cut off most ice cream *can't say goodbye completly* and then stop crafting so much!

Hey everyone, I'm not on the forum much but I came across this thread, loved it, and thought I could give some helpful advice. For one thing, if you are feeling any aches and pains from working out lean towards icing instead of heat. Heat may feel good but it can actually mask injuries and cause you to exacerbate them by overworking. Generally a good rule of thumb is wait about two days from when the pain is first felt to when you start applying heat.

Along those lines if you shower after your workout, as hard as it may be to do, finish your shower by rinsing yourself in cold water. This causes any capillaries that may have ruptured to constrict and close back up. This can help take care of some of those aches and pains that can sometimes discourage you from sticking to it.

For the people who are trying to bulk up or are doing a lot of running, remember to make sure you have a good amount of iron in your diet so you don't become anemic.

Besides that good luck everyone, I'll probably be posting here more as part of my own effort at getting some fitness back.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Besides that good luck everyone, I'll probably be posting here more as part of my own effort at getting some fitness back.

"Welcome to the party, pal."

johnmcclane.jpg

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
fuxberg said:
University is over for now, I'm back at the gym and have gained 4kg in 2 weeks :troll:
By this rate i'll be just like Arnold!

Awesome stuff.

Forgot to weigh my self so here is some info for everyone that I found that might be some help.

http://health.msn.com/womens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100239654&page=1

Weigh yourself. Stepping on the scale first thing (after the bathroom, before breakfast, wearing little to nothing) gives you the most accurate read on your weight, which can fluctuate by up to three pounds during the day! It's a good idea to weigh in daily: A study from Brown University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill showed that 61 percent of people who did so maintained their weight within five pounds over time (compared with 32 percent who weighed in less often), mainly because it helped them catch weight gain early.

Eat breakfast if you're watching your weight. A hearty starter, ideally eaten within 15 to 30 minutes of waking and no later than 8 a.m., will help you stave off a gain. "If you don't eat breakfast, your body thinks it's in starvation mode, and you'll eat more food later on," Edlund says. A Harvard Medical School study confirms that people who ate a morning meal were one third less likely to be obese than those who didn't. Go for whole grains (oatmeal, whole-grain cereal, or whole-grain toast) with a serving of protein (an egg, a tablespoon of nut butter, or a slice of low-fat cheese) and some fruit to keep you alert and feeling full for longer. Aim for a meal of around 200 to 300 calories.

Skip "lunch" in favor of two mini-meals (of about 300 calories each). Eat the first one three hours following breakfast and the second about three hours after that to keep your blood sugar steady and your metabolism fired up. Time the second mini-meal to coincide with the low of that afternoon slump we mentioned—so, between 2 and 3 p.m. "You feel tired, and it's difficult to stay mindful, so you start putting stupid things in your mouth," says Pamela Peeke, M.D., author of Fit to Live: The 5 Point Plan to Be Lean, Strong, and Fearless for Life. "But having a bunch of fat and refined sugars is the worst thing you can do, because your energy will spike and then crash." Instead, go for lean protein, high-quality carbohydrates, and a bit of fat. Peeke's picks: 1 Tbsp of low-fat peanut butter on a pita, half a turkey wrap, or some low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit.

Get moving. Late afternoon to early evening (5 to 6 p.m.) may just be the best time to exercise, because that's when you're hottest, literally. Your body temperature reaches its daily peak (2 to 3 degrees warmer than in the morning), giving you maximum muscle strength, flexibility, agility, and stamina as well as faster reaction times. Even your lungs are using oxygen more efficiently at this time. You'll work out harder with less perceived effort and are less likely to injure yourself. Of course, any exercise is better than none, so if an early workout fits best with your schedule, keep it there. In fact, a.m. exercisers are most likely to stick to their habit: Studies have shown that more than 90 percent of people who work out in the morning are consistent about doing it.

A lot of the other things don't really apply to weightloss, but some tips that are interesting still.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Awesome stuff.

Forgot to weigh my self so here is some info for everyone that I found that might be some help.

http://health.msn.com/womens-health/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100239654&page=1

A lot of the other things don't really apply to weightloss, but some tips that are interesting still.

Yeah, I pretty much been sticking to most of the stuff that article said Bob. I weight myself this morning and I am at 164.5 lbs. I finally reached my goal of 165. Now, my next goal is just to get to 162-162.5 and that would be my final goal. You guys keep it up!

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
If you have any nutrition/exercise questions then throw them my way. It's one of the areas I've been interested in for years.

Hi_There

Born to be MILD!
I found that doing cardio immediately after waking up and before eating breakfast works well. I also have my last meal no less than 2 hrs before bed.

Been working on this for a month and on the first week I lost 8.5 lbs mostly due to water weight, but consistently lost 5.5 to 6 lbs a week since. Started at 282, now I'm down to 256 this morning when I woke up. I'm 5'10 and I've had experience with gaining and losing weight since 2004.

Word of warning: when you lose alot of weight, maintain it the best you can especially when you hit your goal. I went from 240 lbs from summer of 2004 to a lean 188 lbs in the fall of 2005. Naive me thought that I've somehow completely changed my biochemistry and thought my body had become some sort of fat burning machine. Complements from a physical test for a job and my doctor made it all go to my head. I had a resting heart rate of about 37 bpm due to my primary excersice of running long distances. Usually 17-26 km at least 4 times a week (one 60 km run on halloween 2005 - just to see if I could). I'm also not trying to encourage people to do those runs that I did.

Anyways, a harsh job, university, general laziness and not watching what I consume, made me become the prime example of a yoyo effect. So I had reached 282 lbs late may of 2009. Now I'm hoping to maintain whatever I lose down the line. Hoping to hit 190-200 lbs in 5-6 months or so.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Thanks for helping keep this thread a live guys. :badbone:

I'm back down to 207 after shooting up to 209.5 two weeks ago. Hopefully I can keep it down, because as of late, my school gym flooded and it's going to be a while till it's fixed. :schnoz:

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
Thanks for helping keep this thread a live guys. :badbone:

I'm back down to 207 after shooting up to 209.5 two weeks ago. Hopefully I can keep it down, because as of late, my school gym flooded and it's going to be a while till it's fixed. :schnoz:

You can still exercise at home. That's what I do, I don't have a gym membership. For the moment, until you gym is reopened, you can try the basics. You know push ups, sit ups,lounges , etc.. Keep it up Bob!

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Th3Branded0ne said:
You can still exercise at home. That's what I do, I don't have a gym membership. For the moment, until you gym is reopened, you can try the basics. You know push ups, sit ups,lounges , etc.. Keep it up Bob!

Oh I know. I'm just saying I dislike how my gym flooded. Mostly it pisses me off because I have a work out routine that now I can't do with all the fancy machines. :judo:

So, now I'm back home doing my exercise routines where I do a million push ups, crunches and sit ups. :schierke:

Now that I'm over 30, conditioning has become more challenging and I have had to become much more creative with it. Since the new year I've lost 35 pounds but have that last ten to go for a few weeks now. Morning is yoga for 30 minutes, since I need to keep flexible and that is the worst time of day for it. I used to laugh about yoga, now consider it a godsend. I've also discovered kettlebells and medicine balls and love training with them instead of the same old weight training routines. It's also more athletic and fun.

Hey hope everyone has been doing well with their workout routines. Personally, over the last three weeks I've been getting in the five runs a week I've been aiming for, and so far no knee problems. I came across this today, a short little conversation about timing when to eat and drink around workouts and thought I'd share.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/02/eating-to-fuel-exercise/?em

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Alright chumpzillas!

I have been smoke free for about a month now after having smoked for 12 years and I'm ready for some excercise! Thanks for all the workout tips in this thread, they have really helped me so far! Today was my first day at the gym in about 4 or 5 years and it was a living hell. I almost hit the floor about 5 times on the treadmill but running has never felt easier since I'm smoke free. I ran a mile, did some lifting, and then did another mile. My arms feel so weak I can't even lift them up. I'm really out of shape. I weighed over 300 pounds during the fall of last year. (Apartment life will RUIN you!) Since then I'm down to about 245 pounds but my body is a mess from starvation diets and not doing any actual exercising. I've been very motivated by Bob and the others in this thread and I want to get in shape! I'm going to post a pic as proof of what a fatty I am as motivation, hopefully I'll get back in shape again.

Handsome dosen't feel so handsome anymore!
DSC01166.jpg

I've been on a constant exercise the last couple of weeks, leading up to my black belt test:

Monday - 2-hour workout at the dojang (martial arts studio)
Tuesday - 10 min warmup on stationary bike, 30-40 min of upper and middle body weight lifting, then a 2 mile run.
Wednesday - same as Tuesday, except maybe some more focus on the abs portion of weights
Thursday - Rest day
Friday - 3-hour workout at the dojang
Saturday - same as Tuesday, except maybe a longer run

It's not the most exhaustive of workouts, but it keeps me in pretty good shape and in a good rhythm. My weight is still hovering around ~165lbs., however. :judo:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Good job guys.

My self I started slacking hard core and got my self up to 218. I've got it down to 213 now, but with school starting up again I'm going to be able to hit the gym at least 4 times a week [all my classes are set in the afternoon and I'm always up early anyways so that'll give me hours to exercise and do school work].

Lets keep this going guys, I know we can all hit our goal weights by the end of the year. Or get hella close!

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
handsome rakshas said:
[your photo!]

At least one thing that does not need work- that moustache! How manly!

I unfortunately am not blessed with facial hair genes, I simply cannot grow a damn thing besides single hairs here and there.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
I hit the scale this morning. I'm at 165 lbs, which was my first goal, I"m still trying to see if I can get to 162. I do have noticed that some of the pants I wear are more loose, so I know I"m losing some fat and gaining some muscle. I run about 3 days a week and lift weights 3 days also. The exercise ball has been of great help as well. Keep it up guys. Some pics for the update.

sdc10874.jpg

sdc10872.jpg

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Scorpio said:
At least one thing that does not need work- that moustache! How manly!

I unfortunately am not blessed with facial hair genes, I simply cannot grow a damn thing besides single hairs here and there.

Haha, I just took over a couple inches off both sides because I started to look like Rollie Fingers.

After a week my muscles have finally stopped hurting so badly. I can actually walk and lift my arms up now! :guts:
I'll post a progress report at the beginning of next month. You guys are all looking great.

I never been seriously out of shape in my life. I'm about 5'8" and have always fluctuated between 160-165lbs. When I was working out hardcore I increased due to muscle mass to 170lbs.(sigh I miss those days).

Now I'm down to 156 after maintaining that fluctuating weight for the better part of 3 years? I'm not too proud of this decrease since I am used to having a fairly muscular build. I don't look sickly I just feel sickly.

Well anyways the reason why I'm posting is because I know a lot of people are looking for ways to lose weight and my method proved to work too well it seems. I've been taking special yoga classes called bikram yoga. It's a yoga where you do 26 poses in 1 hour and a half in a room heated to about 100 degrees. I've been going for the past few months. At first I loved the results: Toner more cut body(especially on my stomach), profusely sweating out all the toxins in your body, increase in flexibility(although I've always been flexible now I'm even moreso than before!), positive change in my mood and you just feel so good everytime you finish a class. (Might I add that it's mostly beautiful women there?) :carcus:

Bikram yoga is awesome and I continue it but I think the only thing I wasn't liking is the decrease in my weight which is supposed to happen but I don't want to lose muscle mass either. I think a simple increase in my protein intake is what I need to do so really it's my own fault I'm losing muscle. I figure for people that want to see quick results that this yoga is for you. Because after 10 days of classes I noticed a change. Only drawback as well is the pricing. Each studio is different in pricing but they're all pretty much expensive. They have student discounts and a first-timers trial.

Besides, the pricing, it's really developed so that everyone can join. You don't need to be real flexible or strong or a yoga expert. You won't be judged or anything like that. Everyone's doing the same 26 poses every class. There's no advanced classes or beginner's classes everyone take them together. Here's a link

http://www.bikramyoga.com/

Just click on class finders and click united states and a list of states and their respective cities/towns will show. Each place is a link to the actual studio. So just find the one closest to you.

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Just got back from doing 7 miles on the elliptical, I fell up the stairs on the way in! :guts:

I just went back today after taking a 7 day break. I hurt my back helping a buddy move so I took a week off to rest up and get (re)hooked
on pain pills.

SaiyajinNoOuji

I'm still better than you
Lot's of water and plenty of stretching is a good way to get the soreness out of your body. The soreness is caused by lactic acid that builds up around the muscles.

Also if its really bad, a warm bath with some epson salt does wonders.

Th3Branded0ne

I'll be back.
handsome rakshas said:
Just got back from doing 7 miles on the elliptical, I fell up the stairs on the way in! :guts:

I just went back today after taking a 7 day break. I hurt my back helping a buddy move so I took a week off to rest up and get (re)hooked
on pain pills.

Good job. Keep it up. Too bad about your back, but I"m suré you'll get better and keep improving as the days go by. Take it easy Rakshas :serpico:

Top Bottom