The Colbert Report VS The Daily Show

Colbert vs. Stewart: Has the student surpassed the master?

• Total voters

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
colbert_wall1_800.jpg

VS

dailyshow500.jpg

Colbert vs. Stewart: Has the student surpassed the master?

For me, definitely yes!

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Not for me. The Colbert Report has its moments, but I can't finish a full episode of that show. His schtick just gets old.

NightCrawler

I didn't knew this, but Entertainment Weekly voted The Colbert Report the best tv show of 2008, just above The Wire (which was all kinds of awesome, and one of the best series of the decade imo).
Of course, The Daily Show isn't even on top 10.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Haha great thread!

I used to really like the daily show, But honestly I challenge any of you to watch a full episode now and list the funny parts. John Stewart just sucks. He has no jokes, no "shtick", nothing. That show makes me cringe all the way through. The Colbert Report has not only surpassed the daily show, but it's actually one of the funniest shows on tv. The fact the Steven never breaks his character or "shtick" is the best part. I've been a fan of his since Strangers with Candy, anyone remember that show? He's a brilliant comic all the way. I liked John Stewarts old stand up too but he has become sooooo boring and unfunny. I can't see how people laugh at anything he says. He should be pulled off the air and Colbert should get an hour.

Great thread though, now we can discuss some of things on Colbert's show!!!

NightCrawler

Walter said:
Not for me. The Colbert Report has its moments, but I can't finish a full episode of that show. His schtick just gets old.

And how is The Daily Show superior? It's not even old or new, it's just meh. Stewart is grumpy and unfunny most of the time. His interviews are boring and conventional. And his correspondents are cringeworthy.
"The Word" alone on The Colbert Report is superior to the entire Daily Show. Colbert is incisive and his improv style is awesome.
I think Colbert is better than Stewart in the same way Conan is superior to Leno or Letterman.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I prefer The Colbert Report these days.  I really used to like The Daily Show, but I'm getting a little tired of John Stewart.

Stewart or Colbert... Hmmm...

I hate to sound like a fence sitter, but I actually like both of them equally. I don't think one is superior to the other. They're just different. Like comparing apples to oranges.

I like The Daily Show because I think it's funny (well, not nearly as much as when they had Rob Riggle, that was a huge blow to the funny, but it's still there). However, to me, it's more than that. It shows the big news, and news stations, in a funny way, shining lights on things that I'd otherwise miss. Not to mention I find myself agreeing with Stewart more times than not on a lot of issues. I think it has moved on from being a light, faux-news comedy show to something else entirely. And I enjoy it.

I like The Colbert Report because, well, Colbert is hilarious. I love his dry humor to death. I love his topics. I love the way he shows things. Every now and then I'll go through an episode that I don't think is funny, but considering how great the show is, every now and then is fine with me. It's really cool how Colbert has become a larger than life personality too. It's still awesome when you hear their shooting his DNA into space or they name a jet after him.

Again, I can't really say which is better or worse. But I'll put my vote in for The Colbert Report. It's like the light dessert after the heavy dinner that is The Daily Show. Oh how I love dessert.

To me it's 50/50. They are both equally as funny and entertaining. I haven't watched either show in a while. Are they still shown back-to-back?

What was the name of that guy that did the daily show before John Stewart? Whoever he was IMO I thought that guy sucked. I mean, all he did for every bulletin he reported was read the bulletin, play an accompanying clip of the bulletin (like an official speaking etc.), stare blankly at the camera for a moment and wait for everyone to laugh as if it was funny.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
It's 50/50 for me too, as in, I find them amusing alright, but let's not go nuts aggrandizing them into the BEST EVAR. I think Colbert has tapped into and become something more iconic, but I also understand exactly what Walter is talking about. That's why I voted, and added for that matter, option 3! :troll:

I'm sure they'd appreciate it. =)

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
It's 50/50 for me too, as in, I find them amusing alright, but let's not go nuts aggrandizing them into the BEST EVAR.

Is there a funnier more biting show nowadays?

but I also understand exactly what Walter is talking about.

But of course you do. :schierke:

That's why I voted, and added for that matter, option 3! :troll:

If people don't want to participate in this topic, or don't have an opinion on it, why should they vote/post?

Griffith

I'm going to answer in full, not to fuel the fire with a quote post, but out of respect for the subject, to take it as seriously as you guys are.

NightCrawler said:
Is there a funnier more biting show nowadays?

I wouldn't know.

NightCrawler said:
But of course you do. :schierke:

I know right, I too can't possibly have a limit to how much obvious satire and the same running joke I can take. Anyway, in fairness to me, I saw your side of it as well; I think Colbert has had some brilliant moments for sure, but for me it's something where a little bit goes a long way, and beating the Daily Show over the head to laud the Colbert Report is just asinine in my opinion. Obviously, you disagree.

Like I said, off the top of my head, I'd go with Colbert for his iconic impact, but I think the Daily Show has had a different type of impact, arguably more culturally important, which actually set the table for the greater iconic status of Colbert.

NightCrawler said:
If people don't want to participate in this topic, or don't have an opinion on it, why should they vote/post?

I don't think that's really the case, but even if it were, if you don't want to hear a different opinion, whether it be "I prefer the Daily Show" or "neither" or "I don't care", why make a thread? It's not like I or anybody just came in here flaming away, I gave legitimate answer, twice now.

Oburi said:
I think that's a little lame to be honest.

Well, while we're being honest, I find this all more than a little lame at this point, so no hard feelings. I also find it fittingly ironic considering what Colbert is, in part, lampooning and the reaction here as if I professed my preference for Keith Olbermann on The O'Reilly Factor Forum. =)

Lighten up, it's comedy... right?

S

smoke

I think the Daily Show has more clever stuff.

The Colbert Report is pure satire, which is pretty cool too.

These days though, I'm digging the Daily Show a bit more.

Griffith

Th3Branded0ne said:
Right Griffith is just a choice of what you like. If you don't like the show, just change the channel.

stephen_colbert.jpg

A hearty, all-American, "THANK YOU!" :guts:

Let me reiterate, that just because I don't ritually take my pants off while I watching, doesn't mean I don't like the shows... of course, those pathetic ripoffs can't compare with a true original:

DailyShowKilborn.jpg

ori said:
There needs to be an option 4 for the 50/50.

I will change option 3 to the more neutral "Either/Neither" which can cover 50/50, don't care, or don't like 'em, without any of the negativity which can hurt the sensitive souls of those whom have their egos really tied up in this. I just hope the people who really don't give a shit aren't upset now. =)

Oburi

All praise Grail
I like the either/neither option better. The "don't give a shit" option seemed like a way of saying that YOU don't give a shit. Sorry for being sensitive but if you did that to one of my polls I'd be a little :puck: It's no big deal though. As much as I do enjoy the Colbert report and can't stand Daily Show, I am lucky if I see one episode a week (though I did watch them religiously a few years ago). I don't watch that much t.v. but I still have a strong opinion about the shows.

Griffith

Oburi said:
I like the either/neither option better. The "don't give a shit" option seemed like a way of saying that YOU don't give a shit.

Well, that's exactly what it meant. :guts:

Oburi said:
Sorry for being sensitive but if you did that to one of my polls I'd be a little :puck: It's no big deal though. As much as I do enjoy the Colbert report and can't stand Daily Show, I am lucky if I see one episode a week (though I did watch them religiously a few years ago). I don't watch that much t.v. but I still have a strong opinion about the shows.

Haha, just wait until I get my hands wrapped around your poll! uh, wait a minute... :sad:

Anyway, for me personally, I can live with their highlights without actually watching the shows through and through daily, so the whole argument seemed a bit silly to me. Plus, as far as polls go, Night was totally biasing it anyway. Griffith isn't evil! :griffnotevil:

NightCrawler

Th3Branded0ne said:
For the reason that there might be some members who really don't care about either of the shows.

Free food on the table, so that every troll may feel at home here.

Griffith said:
Anyway, for me personally, I can live with their highlights without actually watching the shows through and through daily, so the whole argument seemed a bit silly to me. Plus, as far as polls go, Night was totally biasing it anyway. :griffnotevil:

Yeah, just look how Colbert is stomping on Stewart's head. :badbone:

I still enjoy The Daily Show, but it's not solely a matter of the show's writting but it's about Jon's inability to maintain me interested. If Colbert and Stewart traded places i would still prefer to watch Stephen. He's got a sharp tongue and a quick answer to everything and he's so much more charismatic.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Free food on the table, so that every troll may feel at home here.

Everyone knows trolls love Stephen Colbert. :troll:

NightCrawler said:
Yeah, just look how Colbert is stomping on Stewart's head. :badbone:

Uh, I don't know if you mean the poll, or what it looked like when you posted that, but the current count has Colbert behind Daily and tied with... either/neither! Get your indignant schierkes ready if he doesn't pull ahead soon. =)

NightCrawler said:
I still enjoy The Daily Show, but it's not solely a matter of the show's writting but it's about Jon's inability to maintain me interested. If Colbert and Stewart traded places i would still prefer to watch Stephen. He's got a sharp tongue and a quick answer to everything and he's so much more charismatic.

I enjoy both as well, but I still wouldn't consider what either does to be so fantastic, at least not all the time. Not to beat a dead horse, but guess I feel like they're a bit overrated; like they get extra credit for doing political humor and being an outlet for young people, like how Harry Potter gets credit for getting kids to read. Same with a lot of politically driven humor though, especially SNL (which just seems to get credit for dressing up their players as political figures and doing basic characteratures...), but of course Daily and Colbert are much better, genuinely funny and insightful... most of the time.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
Uh, I don't know if you mean the poll, or what it looked like when you posted that, but the current count has Colbert behind Daily and tied with... either/neither! Get your indignant schierkes ready if he doesn't pull ahead soon. =)

How many logins have you used to vote Griff? :carcus:
I urge people that vote to at least post your opinion...

Nevertheless i don't really care who's ahead in the poll. Most people are more familiar with The Daily Show anyway. I'm glad that at least i'm not the only one that prefers Colbert to Stewart.

X

Xem

Either and Neither are total opposites of each other and shouldn't be lumped together. If you're saying neither why'd you even click on the thread?

Top Bottom