the extreme brutality in the berserk manga

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
how do you feel about it?

Is this a potential factor that makes berserk appeal to you more? the reason that made me the berserk fan that i am is its story, and the topics that are treated within the story. i was stunned when i saw the anime for the first time. The characters, especially Griffith, Guts, Caska and Judeau made me think a lot about life. Berserk perfectly explained to me the purpose of all those things that may happen to you during your lifetime. The story-development after Guts & Griffith second duel was just awesome. the ending almost made me cry. this is why i consider berserk as a true piece of art.

well to get back to the origin of this thread: the manga volumes are now being translated, and we're now up at 13. the manga is quite lot deeper than the anime in every respect. but there's one thing that miura brought to an insane level, and that's the extreme amount of brutality in the manga. it's just disgusting. just think about the three chapters that introduce wyld. they're absolutely horrifying and made me feel sick at certain times. (you know the chapter where wyld rapes that cute girl in order rip her into half and killing all the other children. that is just insane (actually that word doesn't describe it at all)

i remember chrisz talking about the eclipse chapter where femto rapes caska. he was as well digusted by it.
my point is following: is this absolutely horrifying kind of brutality really necessary? (no i don't mean to sound like an adult ^^). for me it is certainly _not_ a factor that makes berserk more interesting or appealing to me. i dunno, i mean i do like fights no question. The perfect fusion between the well-grounded story and the battles makes berserk what it is, no doubt about it.
but in my opinion it should also work without that kind of brutality (forgive me for using that word that often).

oh well, what do guys think about it?

BOB

poruno sutâ
To me it always was some form of multiple levels that this piece of art can display.

Same is with photographs by ARAKI or this strange movie i saw last friday, SEON - the isle.
It is that strange ability to create depth and underlining (not destroying!!) it at the same time with very much unsettling images.

In the case of berserk the violence really adds seriousness i guess. Wyld is actually wild and in volume one where guts chops that possessed girl in half, his very much depressing loneliness becomes so much clearer.

And yes, i'm a sucker for gore ;)

The extreme violence is what turned me off Berserk at first. Luckily, I stuck to it and discovered that there's much more to it than an insane amount of gore and rape.

D

Drachenfels

Is this a potential factor that makes berserk appeal to you more? the reason that made me the berserk fan that i am is its story, and the topics that are treated within the story.

Me too. The characters, themes and story is what makes Berserk for me appealing, not the story.
But the Berserk world is a dark and evil one, and the brutality isn't just there for gore, but making the world more belieable. It's not a fluffy-cute world Berserk takes place, but a world haunted by evil. REAL, inhuman evil. And the violence is a mean to show us how evil it is.

maximus

Es ist einsam im Nebel zu wandern...

the manga is quite lot deeper than the anime in every respect.
not just deeper but even a totally different thing!remember the king(as just one example)!! :p
but there's one thing that miura brought to an insane level, and that's the extreme amount of brutality in the manga. it's just disgusting.
yep that really was beyond all my expectations(comparing with the anime)!
...and the brutality seems alright but sometimes just a little bit too much. :-/

does miura really want just to shock people with this extreme violence in his mangas or....or what???
is it maybe kind of a psychological problem he tries to compensate through this story?
or is it just his favorite way of drawing?

trapped_soul

"This is it. It's over."
not just deeper but even a totally different thing!remember the king(as just one example)!! :p
you're absolutely right!

does miura really want just to shock people with this extreme violence in his mangas or....or what???
is it maybe kind of a psychological problem he tries to compensate through this story?
or is it just his favorite way of drawing?
probably he's just intending to shock the audience. i don't think he has a psychological problem or something, i really don't think so. how would making the manga that brutal compensate that, i don't understand?

Top Bottom