Joaquin Phoenix quits acting, pursues hip hop career, falls off stage

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Check out the video, hilariously embarrassing:

http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&mediaKey=e14e99c2-29f3-4447-b64c-f67a85864036

All i have to say is, life is beautiful :ganishka:

791143%20copy_0.jpg

BYE GOOD?

FAIL!

The question is, how long 'till he ODs like his brother?

A

avidwriter

Re: Joaquin Phoenix quits acting, pursues hip hop carreer, falls off stage

That looked to me like he was drunk doing Kareoke. I'm sure I spelled that wrong.

NightCrawler

Re: Joaquin Phoenix quits acting, pursues hip hop carreer, falls off stage

No, it's actually his new career, don't laugh.

EDIT: It gets better:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/?p=8656

:ganishka:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I really didn't want to laugh at this, Nightcrawler... but Jesus what a trainwreck. :ganishka:

Seriously, when I heard he was giving up acting to be a musician, I thought it was dumb (it's not like you can't do both), but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the singing end based on his performance in Walk the Line. Why not go for it if you have the opportunity? I had no idea he had delusions of hip hop grandeur though. Wow. Anyway, from the videos and his reputation, it looks like he still needs some kind of serious substance dependency help, but I can't feel too sorry for him about his poorly realized dream, because after it comes crashing down, if it didn't literally already in that video, the shitty day job he'll have to go back to is actually a much more lucrative and prestigious A-list acting career.

NightCrawler

Griffith said:
I really didn't want to laugh at this, Nightcrawler... but Jesus what a trainwreck. :ganishka:

Seriously, when I heard he was giving up acting to be a musician, I thought it was dumb (it's not like you can't do both), but I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the singing end based on his performance in Walk the Line. Why not go for it if you have the opportunity? I had no idea he had delusions of hip hop grandeur though. Wow. Anyway, from the videos and his reputation, it looks like he still needs some kind of serious substance dependency help, but I can't feel too sorry for him about his poorly realized dream, because after it comes crashing down, if it didn't literally already in that video, the shitty day job he'll have to go back to is actually a much more lucrative and prestigious A-list acting career.

The more i look at it, the more i feel this might be a joke. Spinal Rap anyone? I mean, Casey Affleck is actually making a documentary about this. It has to be a joke, it's just too pathetic to be true.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
It could be, but... What's the joke though? I mean, Spinal Tap was funny because they were parodying a once-popular, then-waning music trend. That and they were fucking idiots/geniuses but didn't know it.

The only thing that's funny here is how fucking bat-shit insane Joaquin is acting. And that's not funny, it's just sad.

NightCrawler

Joaquin Phoenix's rap career is all part of an elaborate hoax, according to the eccentric movie star's closest pals. The two-time Oscar nominee recently announced he was turning his back on acting to follow his musical dreams, and he followed up the shock news with a zany three-song debut as a rapper at a Las Vegas nightclub.

During his performance on 16 January, which was captured on film by his actor brother-in-law Casey Affleck, Phoenix appeared to have a public meltdown before falling off the stage.

But pals insist the Walk The Line star knows exactly what he's doing - and his performance was all part of an "art project".

One close friend tells Entertainment Weekly magazine, "He said, 'It's a put-on. I'm going to pretend to have a meltdown and change careers, and Casey is going to film it.'

"It's an art project for him. He's going full out. He probably has told his reps that he's quit acting. Joaquin is very smart. This is very conscious. He has a huge degree of control."

Hummm...

X

Xem

Bekul said:
Ahaha, wow. Only thing sadder than his performance is his attempt at a cover story. Geeze. :schnoz:

Regardless if it's a joke or not (definitely is), now he's just that much more famous. Negative press is still press. I'd say it's a smart move, joke or not, either way he wins.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Ahaha, wow. Only thing sadder than his performance is his attempt at a cover story. Geeze. :schnoz:

Yeah, sounds like bullshit to me. "Hahaha just kidding guys, I didn't really make my dog lick my balls... Please talk to me now, pleeeease!"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpYk7WGN5Y

Wow, it gets AWKWARD on Letterman with Joaquin.

"I'm doing more... hip hop music (audience: hahahahaha) What... what's so funny about that?"

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Bekul said:
Okay, now it's just... sad. That guy needs an intervention. Famous for being a joke isn't the 'good' type of famous.
I'm still holding out for an Andy Kaufman-type "GOTCHA."

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I don't think there's going to be a reveal, he was like this on The Tonight Show a few years ago too, right down to Leno nailing him with the same zingers, "Thanks for coming on, I hope you can be here next time."

It was even funnier coming from Leno since he's not nearly as passive-aggressive as Letterman. BTW, I love how he set him up on Paltrow's name, diabolical. =)

Here's the full Letterman interview too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1xK6xz8d9Q

Top Bottom