Movies to dread

Oburi

All praise Grail
Hey I like Tony Scott, but
I'm really looking forward to super fact cuts and subtitles every 2 seconds.
... is so true. I don't see how you can shoot me down for thinking Predators might be something of value with Rodriguez behind it and yet Tony Scott doing an Alien movie is less of a bad idea. I'm just going by the directors body of work and the style they have. For an action flick like Predator I can see Rodriguez making a good effort, but Tony Scott making Alien? Just because he's Ridley Scott's brother won't make the movie better. Ridley has changed a lot over the years anyway, Alien is such a timeless classic, way more so than even Predator, this is going to be way more of a travesty than Predators, I promise.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm neither defending this movie nor Tony Scott's involvement with it. What I'm saying is that Tony Scott might not have so much to do with it, but was asked about it because he's out promoting a movie now and is partner in the same production company that would make it with Ridley Scott. So, we can save the histrionics about Tony Scott and wonder about Ridley Scott's instead. And gimmie a break, while Rodriguez is cool and all, he tries way too hard to show it, and I have more hope for the over-the-hill Scott brothers to produce a tempered Alien than I do for Rodriguez to not make a self-indulgent ROBERT RODRIGUEZ MOVIE out of Predator. If he can subvert those urges, and disappear into the role so to speak, it could be great like you say, but as things stand, it's about the equivalent of Alien being helmed by M. Night Shyamalan.

I'll compromise by saying both these movies are going to suck. =)

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Hey I like Tony Scott, but ... is so true. I don't see how you can shoot me down for thinking Predators might be something of value with Rodriguez behind it and yet Tony Scott doing an Alien movie is less of a bad idea. I'm just going by the directors body of work and the style they have.

Tony Scott is producing the movie, not directing it. Please pay attention.

Oburi said:
For an action flick like Predator I can see Rodriguez making a good effort, but Tony Scott making Alien? Just because he's Ridley Scott's brother won't make the movie better. Ridley has changed a lot over the years anyway, Alien is such a timeless classic, way more so than even Predator, this is going to be way more of a travesty than Predators, I promise.

I can't seem to find much credibility in that paragraph.

Griffith

Aazealh said:
Tony Scott is producing the movie, not directing it. Please pay attention.

Yeah, instead of doing riffs on Tony Scott for no reason, we should be wondering why this guy is supposedly directing. I'm pretty dubious about all this information thus far.

Oburi

All praise Grail
宮本 グリフィス said:
I'm neither defending this movie nor Tony Scott's involvement with it. What I'm saying is that Tony Scott might not have so much to do with it, but was asked about it because he's out promoting a movie now and is partner in the same production company that would make it with Ridley Scott. So, we can save the histrionics about Tony Scott and wonder about Ridley Scott's instead. And gimmie a break, while Rodriguez is cool and all, he tries way too hard to show it, and I have more hope for the over-the-hill Scott brothers to produce a tempered Alien than I do for Rodriguez to not make a self-indulgent ROBERT RODRIGUEZ MOVIE out of Predator. If he can subvert those urges, and disappear into the role so to speak, it could be great like you say, but as things stand, it's about the equivalent of Alien being helmed by M. Night Shyamalan.

I'll compromise by saying both these movies are going to suck. =)

I get you now, and I did make the mistake of thinking Scott was directing. But I still won't agree with Rodriguez being self indulgent, no more than Tony Scott or Ridley Scott. I mean the guy made Sin City, shared the directing credit with Frank Miller and got kicked out of the Directors Guild of America because he refused to take Millers name off. I do believe he has it in him to not be so self indulgent as he has shown with a film like Sin City and the not so soon to be sequels. Notice the Scott brothers always putting "A tony Scott Film" or "a Ridley Scott Film" before every movie, and so do almost all critically acclaimed directors. But Kevin Smith doesn't do it, and if Robert Rodriguez doesn't write, produce, edit and direct his own movie (which he usually does) then he won't splash his name where it doesn't belong. For this reason I do believe he is capable of showing some respect for the original Predator movie. If he ruins it or makes a bad movie i'll hate him forever but I think he's the best option if they HAVE to make the reboot thing, which was bound to happen sooner or later.

Griffith

You misunderstand what I mean by self-indulgent, and I admit I'm having trouble explaining, but I also think it's the pandering of the "rebel without a crew" and his blue collar pretensions that make it confusing. The problem with Rodriguez' self indulgence isn't something he puts in the credits, though I disagree about that too, "shot, chopped, and scored by Robert Rodriguez" is a much worse pose than just the typical credit that it's "a Robert Rodriguez film." I only wish he had that kind of measured pride and approach to his films, or "flicks" as he would say, because it's his excessive indulgence of his own atypical appetites, desires, and eccentricities that's the problem. Every scene is going to reek of the attitude "shot, chopped, and scored by Robert Rodriguez!" Even the Sin City example you cited of him leaving the Director's guild is another example of Rodriguez just doing whatever he wants no matter the consequences (a habit that's all too evident in his movies). Anyway, that isn't so bad when you're doing your own thing (it's not great though either), but if he makes an over-the-top and cheesy Predator movie in the style of Desperado, From Dusk 'Til Dawn, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, Planet Terror, or even Sin City (for which he was perfect), it's going to be just as disappointing as anyone's merely mediocre attempt.

For Rodriguez, or anyone, to do a good job on something like this, I simply want the movie to be well executed on every level (easy, right? =), just like the original Predator was by John McTiernan. That's what I mean by Rodriguez needing to subvert himself, or "get lost in the role," to get the job done; because he has the talent, but that should be evident by the quality and substance of the film, not an excessive display of style. I should watch it and go, "That was a great movie, who directed it?" But, if it's clear by every scene that it was "shot, chopped, and scored by Robert Rodriguez", he'll have failed to make a good Predator movie, and just made another Robert Rodriguez flick, but with Predators in it.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ahh Griffith, excellent post. I see what you mean and I completely agree.

But, if it's clear by every scene that it was "shot, chopped, and scored by Robert Rodriguez", he'll have failed to make a good Predator movie, and just made another Robert Rodriguez flick, but with Predators in it.

Yea as a fanboy I would probably enjoy the movie (or flick) either way but if it does turn out like that then it would be disappointing and wouldn't do the original justice at all.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
James Cameron stopped by Ubisoft's E3 presentation in LA today to talk about and show clips from AVATAR, his much-hyped, much-hidden movie. And here's what Kotaku commentators had to say about it (reads down to up)
6:26 Fahey: Like LSD
6:26 Fahey: His movie is
6:25 Fahey: He's a bit nuts. But loveable.
6:25 Luke Plunkett: the end of the movie features helicopters vs 10-ft tall cavemen.
6:24 Fahey: Or, Second Life
6:23 Fahey: So the movie is about people having sex with giant blue tiger people
6:22 Luke Plunkett: Jim Cameron just said the silliest sentence of the day, involving "Alpha Centauri", 10-feet tall cavemen, space tigers and what sounded like "phosppholopolis." This movie may end up looking good, but it sounds absolutely ridiculous.
6:22 Fahey: Cameron is going into wayyyyy too much detail about this movie
6:21 Fahey: Avatar was far too expensive to make 14 years ago
Sounds uh... special, Jimmy!

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
It's probably the most hyped movie of the decade. And people haven't seen a single frame from it.

I don't think it's that hyped yet. I'm pretty sure no one around me has even heard about it.

No one I know had any clue that Avatar existed outside of the Nick avatar being produced. Heck, I thought that's what Ubisoft was talking about at first when I saw the conference.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.majorspoilers.com/archives/15968.htm/ said:
If you were here, sitting next to me right this instant, you would hear an audible sigh as I read news about Total Recall getting a remake. Not because it is a stupid story, it’s one of my more liked Philip K. Dick stories, but because the movie has already been made into a fun action movie that has Arnold dressing in drag and having his eyes almost sucked out of his head on the the terraformed Mars.

Columbia Pictures is the latest studio to jump on board the whole, “Let’s remake every movie ever made, because we don’t have an original thought” bandwagon, but is keeping mum on how it will make this version of We Can Remember It for You Wholesale contemporary enough to draw audiences in.

What we do know is Kurt Wimmer is writing the new version, with Neal H. Moritz producing. No word on who will star, or when the remake will hit theaters.

:schierke:

When will this madness stop?

I just.... I....

Ugh.

Since they want to remake all of Arnold's movies, how long until we get a new version of Junior? *Sigh*

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Since they want to remake all of Arnold's movies, how long until we get a new version of Junior? *Sigh*

Well they've pretty much already remade Kindergarten Cop (The Pacifier), so at this point nothing would surprise me anymore.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
It's probably the most hyped movie of the decade. And people haven't seen a single frame from it.

What hype? Nobody's even heard of it but James Cameron aficionados. Your avatar generates more buzz than this one. =)

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
And more entertaining than the other $avatar.

If you mean the Cameron one still, I think your forcing it a little with the dollar sign gag that there's no place for in the title, as well as attacking the entertainment value of a movie we practically know nothing about it, since I'm not sure what you're attacking. Though it certainly belongs in this thread, it's entertaining me already. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
宮本 グリフィス said:
If you mean the Cameron one still, I think your forcing it a little with the dollar sign gag that there's no place for in the title, as well as attacking the entertainment value of a movie we practically know nothing about it, since I'm not sure what you're attacking. Though it certainly belongs in this thread, it's entertaining me already. =)

Actually if you manage to sit through the overly long plot explanation that Cameron made the other day, i think you'll know a bit more about the movie.
So far the concept art and the set photos look mediocre.

Aazealh said:
When will this madness stop?

I don't think this has been posted yet, but just when you thought it couldn't get worse:

http://www.joblo.com/commando-remake

Yes, rumors of a Commando remake. :???:

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Actually if you manage to sit through the overly long plot explanation that Cameron made the other day, i think you'll know a bit more about the movie.

Touché, but I'll counter that James Cameron can make Terminator 2 sound lame when he's talking about it. Anyway, not defending what will likely be a disappointing return, but I just don't think there's any sense in turning against it outright at this point, just to do it.

NightCrawler said:
So far the concept art and the set photos look mediocre.

I'm really trying hard to think of something that matters less. =)

snake1mi

Blood is just red sweat.
Gamer looks fun :guts:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Being a big fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his incredible Sherlock Holmes novels, I was not expecting Robert Downey in the movie at all. The trailer reminded me of The Mummy and Indiana Jones trailers. And it looks even more childish. But maybe the movie is for younger audience... And Natalie Portman?? In stockings? What the fuck is going on?!

Top Bottom