Movies to dread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Walter said:
I heard a frightening rumor today that the Castlevania movie is still alive... Hoping this isn't true :griff:

:ganishka:... Or rather :judo:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/16838

Bloody-Disgusting can exclusively announce here that James Wan, the co-mastermind behind the Saw franchise, and director of Dead Silence and Death Sentence, will be co-writing and directing Castlevania for producer Paul W.S. Anderson. Inside you'll find a tid-bit from Wan about his forthcoming adaptation. Sylvain White was originally slated to direct. Castlevania is an adaptation of the popular NES game from the 80's that has since become a massive video game franchise.

"I'm very fresh on this project, so its early stages and I'm still trying to work things out, but the producers love my vision for it," James Wan tells Bloody-Disgusting in an exclusive chat. "I'll be working on the script with a writer to give it a new spin, different to the previous versions. This will have my stamp on it which Konami is very excited about.

"The thing I love about what Konami did with Castlevania, was taking the iconic Dracula mythology and Eastern-European setting, and retelling it with a Japanese pop-cultural sensibility," he continues. "That’s the East-meets-West tone I want to visually expand on for the film. I’m thrilled by the opportunity to make a highly stylized, fantasy, action film that focuses on the gothic storyline and the cool, anime-like characters. For once, the human hero is as sexy and dangerous as the vampire villain, and his weapon of choice was what attracted me to the project in the first place – The Vampire Killer Whip.”

Alright, so it's not nearly as bad as the previous project, but still... A katana? Really? And what's the East-meets-West tone in the original Castlevania games exactly?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Walter said:
Wow. I predict Alucard wielding the Vampire Killer :ganishka:

I predict Dracula originating from Japan in the twist ending.

After seeing Death Sentence, I have to say this guy is going to do a terrible job of adapting Castlevania into a movie. Just imagine everything being completely different from what Castlevania actually is and that's probably what the movie is going to be like.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
I'm going to go ahead and say that his adaptation of Mortal Kombat actually wasn't that bad. Then again, I have a soft spot for it. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
宮本 グリフィス said:
I'm going to go ahead and say that his adaptation of Mortal Kombat actually wasn't that bad. Then again, I have a soft spot for it. =)

Amazing soundtrack. :guts:

Yeah, it's a guilty pleasure for me.

Griffith

NightCrawler said:
Amazing soundtrack. :guts:

Oh yeah, and and quite a successful one too if I recall.

NightCrawler said:
Yeah, it's a guilty pleasure for me.

Same, very watchable for what it is, and surprisingly, they actually managed to effectively, if not totally faithfully, work in a lot of elements from the first two games, a lot of little details that I didn't appreciate when I was younger because I was more focused on what wasn't right. I even appreciate the cheesy CGI now. =)

Hey I loved watching Mortal Kombat, I wasn't to crazy about part two but it was good enough to watch. As for the soundtrack I also loved it :slan:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
It's easily the best video game movie to date. It set some high standards that no one will ever be able to meet, not even Mortal Kombat Annihilation.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
slan69 said:
Speaking of Mortal Kombat look what I stumbled upon on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293429/

I think they are calling it Mortal Kombat Devastation. (Not to sure about the title but that's what IMDB says when you search for Mortal Kombat)

I thought it was a bug on imdb, but no. The director is really called "mink". Wtf?! :ganishka:

"His name mink is an Acronym for his last name Morrison and the word ink. Ink refers to his created comic books, illustration & short stories which he has done since he was a kid."

Awesome. You're really special, "mink". :schierke:

And just when you thought the idea was dead, it raises again from it's grave.

http://comic-con.gamespot.com/story/6213963/saw-creator-whipping-up-castlevania-film-report

I have maybe a little more hope for it now, but expectations are extremely low.

Found some stuff concerning Thundercats apparently delayed:

http://screenrant.com/delayed-thundercats-movie-rob-19968/

and concept art of the direction they were going in before its delay:

http://www.movieline.com/2009/07/movieilne-presents-the-never-before-seen-concept-art-for-warner-bros-thundercats.php

I don't particularly like Lion-O's look. Actually I don't like any of them for a Thundercats movie. By themselves without the Thundercats title to them i think they're great pieces of concept art. Just doesn't look "Thundercats" to me.

yeah, this looks more like final fantasy XVI or something

I understand that they didn't want them running around in unitards or whatever for the homophobes out there (except, maybe, Cheetara :carcus:), but why does lion-o have a tattoo?

The Perineum Falcon said:
yeah, this looks more like final fantasy XVI or something

Exactly, it looks like concept art for something other than Thundercats. The art gives me a Battlefield Earth vibe except with cat-humans. Which reminds me speaking of costumes. Wasn't there a Thundercats cartoon a while back or was that shut down? I was trying to look for info on it but all I found was this:

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/2327/lionov.th.jpg

Seems like they were off on that costume design as well.

The Perineum Falcon said:
I understand that they didn't want them running around in unitards or whatever for the homophobes out there (except, maybe, Cheetara :carcus:), but why does lion-o have a tattoo?

Can't argue with you there about Cheetara :carcus: but I don't think those are tattoos. I think those are the fur(or skin?) spots. But I don't remember Lion-O ever having spots like Cheetara.

ori said:
Can't argue with you there about Cheetara :carcus: but I don't think those are tattoos. I think those are the fur(or skin?) spots. But I don't remember Lion-O ever having spots like Cheetara.
Yes, unlike cheetahs, lions don't have spots. :schierke:
And it's a tattoo - or a green coloured, tribal shaped birthmark.

SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It's because growing up on the streets as a young cub is tough. Its a way to show that he has street-cred. :troll:
Haha.

I don't really care whether they roll with that steampunk/FF design (Snarf might as well be a character straight from a FF game) or go for a more cartoonish look.

On another note, ori's link also states that the Live-Action 'Akira' movie is dead. Good News. :serpico:

Griffith

At least now we won't have to hear people that haven't read Akira say the Hollywood ending is better. :carcus:

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
宮本 グリフィス said:
At least now we won't have to hear people that haven't read Akira say the Hollywood ending is better. :carcus:

Haha, yeah if people couldn't handle the squid at the end of Watchmen, I'm not so sure they'd be able to take in the giant mass of flesh that Tetsuo becomes at the end of the film.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Haha, yeah if people couldn't handle the squid at the end of Watchmen, I'm not so sure they'd be able to take in the giant mass of flesh that Tetsuo becomes at the end of the film.

I like the manga's ending better.

...Sorry. :ganishka:

Top Bottom