Movies to dread

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
I like the manga's ending better.

...Sorry. :ganishka:

Haha, I'm sorry to say that I haven't read the manga yet. At least the film was written and directed by the author of the manga. That makes it kinda official. Kinda. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Haha, I'm sorry to say that I haven't read the manga yet. At least the film was written and directed by the author of the manga. That makes it kinda official. Kinda. :guts:

Yeah and he's said that neither ending really satisfied him in the past. Still, I recommend you to check the manga out whenever you get the opportunity. It's a must-read.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Yeah and he's said that neither ending really satisfied him in the past. Still, I recommend you to check the manga out whenever you get the opportunity. It's a must-read.

I plan on it. Right after I'm done catching up with Vagabond, I'll probably pick up the Akira volumes.

Edit: Peter Berg talks a bit about his upcoming adaptation of Frank Herbert's Dune:

http://scifiwire.com/2009/08/director-berg-envisions-a.php

Personally, I think the book is unfilmable, but I'm interested in seeing what Berg's visual take on it will be like. I didn't care for Lynch's film and the Sci-Fi Channel's mini-series was awful, so I'm hoping this one turns out better, but given the director's past work...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Personally, I think the book is unfilmable, but I'm interested in seeing what Berg's visual take on it will be like. I didn't care for Lynch's film and the Sci-Fi Channel's mini-series was awful, so I'm hoping this one turns out better, but given the director's past work...

Not very interested in the project. I will say in defense of Lynch's film though that the OST is fucking beautiful, easily one of the best ever in my opinion, and that there are some really nice visuals throughout. The movie has aged very badly, but it's still so many miles ahead of the abortion that was the mini-series that it forces my respect. And that's saying much coming from an adaptation-hater like me.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Not very interested in the project. I will say in defense of Lynch's film though that the OST is fucking beautiful, easily one of the best ever in my opinion, and that there are some really nice visuals throughout. The movie has aged very badly, but it's still so many miles ahead of the abortion that was the mini-series that it forces my respect. And that's saying much coming from an adaptation-hater like me.

I don't remember much of the soundtrack, but I did enjoy the visuals (except the ornithopters). The stilsuits were pretty much exactly as I had pictured them; same with the sandworms. It's been years since I've seen it, so maybe I should give it another chance now that I'm older. And yeah, the Sci-Fi series was beyond terrible.

This time I went back a few pages and didn't see anything, but if it's been stated before, well... ugh :chomp:

Just saw the new trailer for Astro Boy and it looks pretty bad to me. My first thoughts were: Isn't it almost blasphemy for this to be CG instead of hand drawn?

Quote from trailer: I have guns in my butt?

Trailer:
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-us&vid=955ef9eb-5d55-4774-9f3b-b4cd2f1861ee&playlist=videoByUuids:uuids:9244ad1e-a105-4e53-95ad-bc62530a4abf%2Cc1657076-d8f7-42bc-be60-75599041fd9b&from=MSNHP&tab=s120&gt1=42007

Hehe I actually did, but only within this thread I guess. The search engine apparently only looks within a specific forum or thread for something if you're already there unless you go into advanced. Useful now that I know that it works that way. I'm too used to terrible search options on forums.

Regardless, I still think it looks terrible. Too many of these CG movies end up so bland and Astro Boy doesn't look a lot different.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Hehe I actually did, but only within this thread I guess. The search engine apparently only looks within a specific forum or thread for something if you're already there unless you go into advanced. Useful now that I know that it works that way. I'm too used to terrible search options o
If you click the SEARCH function in the forum's menu at the top, it will search forum-wide unless you specify otherwise. However, if you just type in the search bar below the menu (to the right) it's contextual based on where you are in the forum.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
Regardless, I still think it looks terrible. Too many of these CG movies end up so bland and Astro Boy doesn't look a lot different.

Yeah, on topic, this movie looks pretty bad to me. CGI does not suit the author's style.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Sorry to post a Pixar movie in here, but I had no choice after seeing the trailer for George Lucas' Avatar.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
宮本 グリフィス said:
http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/avatar/

Sorry to post a Pixar movie in here, but I had no choice after seeing the trailer for George Lucas' Avatar.

The CG doesn't look nearly as realistic as all the hype indicated. Like you said, Griff, it looks just like a Pixar movie. Only time will tell if the dialogue and acting are George Lucas bad.

Speaking of movies to dread: http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/legion/

It's a cool idea, but it looks poorly executed.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Rhombaad said:
The CG doesn't look nearly as realistic as all the hype indicated. Like you said, Griff, it looks just like a Pixar movie.

Yeah, my first red flag was the mech at the beginning, and for me the trailer's "movie to look fordward to"ness peaked when you see the guy sitting up on the gurny table in his new body, then, starting with his face when he says, "This is great," it was anything but. It looked shockingly bad after that actually. It didn't even look special for a modern animated movie, and just compared to District 9... it's like a joke.

Rhombaad said:
Only time will tell if the dialogue and acting are George Lucas bad.

Well, I just meant it looks George Lucas bad, like I'm having Naboo flashbacks here; as a matter of fact, I think that might have looked better, and it was 10 years ago! Also, like Lucas, maybe James should have continued his self-imposed retirement instead of coming back to make bad technology demos. For his sake, I hope it somehow doesn't look like shit in 3D.

Rhombaad said:
Speaking of movies to dread: http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/legion/

It's a cool idea, but it looks poorly executed.

Yeah, the idea of God and heaven turning their back on man is cool, too bad everything else about it looks like it's for 'tards.

These shitty movies are making me angry tonight... I love being angry. :guts:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Man I can't wait for Avatar's furry sex scene. You know it's coming. And that Legion movie looks ridiculous. Just plain terrible.

After all that silly hype too...man, looks like Cameron has lost his mojo.

And they were calling it "photo-realistic". Honestly, I've seen better CG in video games. :ganishka:

So I keep seeing previews for Tim Burtons "9" and I can't believe its a movie, how fast did they slap this thing together. It seriously looks like real time video game graphics...like ps2 quality. In a bad way.

Avatar really doesn't look that bad to me.

Death May Die said:
So I keep seeing previews for Tim Burtons "9" and I can't believe its a movie, how fast did they slap this thing together. It seriously looks like real time video game graphics...like ps2 quality. In a bad way.

Watch the original on youtube. It's not actually by Tim Burton. I can't recall the guy who did the original short movie. But it doesn't look bad....looks like Pixar type animations to me. Don't know if you consider their films to be bad in animation or not.

Death May Die said:
Avatar really doesn't look that bad to me.

I don't see why it looks that bad either :???: I'm looking forward to it. I mean if it's qualms about the CG of the movie, you can only go so far with making CG look as real as possible.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
ori said:
I don't see why it looks that bad either :???: I'm looking forward to it. I mean if it's qualms about the CG of the movie, you can only go so far with making CG look as real as possible.
It's not _just_ the bad CG. It's a victim of the hype machine Cameron built around the movie. He said this would be revolutionary. It looks like a Saturday morning cartoon...

And apparently this disenchantment we all feel is EXACTLY what the Producers wanted (strange as that may sound). Apparently, to get the "full effect" of the "revolutionary power" of "Avatar", ahem, Avatar, one MUST view it in IMAX 3d, which is a fucking ridiculous notion, and I seriously hope Cameron doesn't think that everyone's going rush out and up pay close to 20 bucks to see this based on the hype and the deflatingly impressive trailer (which I saw on the big screen before Basterds, and it was equally unimpressive there; and to which my girlfriend commented, "this looks like Fern Gully).

This may be as revolutionary as watching Cameron jerk it in a mirror for 3 hours.

Oburi

All praise Grail
The Perineum Falcon said:
And apparently this disenchantment we all feel is EXACTLY what the Producers wanted (strange as that may sound). Apparently, to get the "full effect" of the "revolutionary power" of "Avatar", ahem, Avatar, one MUST view it in IMAX 3d, which is a fucking ridiculous notion, and I seriously hope Cameron doesn't think that everyone's going rush out and up pay close to 20 bucks to see this based on the hype and the deflatingly impressive trailer (which I saw on the big screen before Basterds, and it was equally unimpressive there; and to which my girlfriend commented, "this looks like Fern Gully).

This may be as revolutionary as watching Cameron jerk it in a mirror for 3 hours.

And what did you think of Basterds??

I think it's better discussed in the other thread. :serpico:

Honestly, I would love to expound on my experience with basterds, but unfortunately I have only my parents computer now, and only a few minutes during my lunch break to check up on things, so I really haven't a lot of time, currently.
However, in a word or two, I loved it. It was beautiful, and the ending was extraordinary and filled with that kind of magic that only cinema can bring. It was a rewarding experience, and a deep confirmation of why I still go to the theaters at all (as opposed to just watching true-blue classics at home) and why I want to be a participant in cinema.

Top Bottom