Movies to dread

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
SaiyajinNoOuji said:
It's happening Aaz! Brace for impact.

http://www.heatvisionblog.com/2009/10/predators-stars-adrien-brody.html

Well yeah, Proj posted about it on the previous page. What more can I say, really... I'm beyond indignation and into some kind of stupor, just showing mild curiosity for whatever abomination the mad scientists will unveil next.

Oh god. This whole remake, reinvention thing is killing me. Did we somehow loose most of the inteligent minds capable of inventing original franchises during the last 10 years? Also can we have manly men playing the parts of manly men in movies again.

Let's get back to KoF for a while.
I really don't know how incompetent you have to be to ruin a fighting game adaptation. You take the info about game plots, characters etc. take the few important sub-plots which would drive the main characters forward and add a lot of cool fighting scenes, some fanservice and voila. If the dialogue/plot is decent that's a plus, but to be honest no one goes to see a "martial arts" movie because of it's deep philosophical brilliance. If the movie has a nice plot, good - if not (as most) the fight scenes better be brilliant. Most of the game adaptations I saw didn't have any reedeeming features.

My idea.
The story is simple: Rugal makes an underground tournament. Everyone wants to beat him (for some reason, I'm not versed in the KoF lore).
Main characters: Terry, Kyo, Iori, Mai, Heidern? Kim? The crappiest, least liked characters from some weird teams, could be used as Rugal's henchmen.
Main ideas behid story: Kyo/Iori feud, one of the characters sent by some goverment to snatch Rugal for his illegal gun trading (Heidern?), some romance (Mai/Terry?), some wanted to test their martial arts skills (Kim, Iori, Kyo?), boobs (Mai).
Actors should at least resemble the characters so a casual fan can recognise them on sight. This is why costumes (especially in-fight) should resemble the ones from the games. With slight changes of course. Not everything that looks good in game looks good on screen. There should be a good deal of character development. At least enough to estabilish basic motives and character traits for the main characters. Something to make them recognisable and distinguishable from 'generic fighter 1 to 7'. Transformers completely failed in that respect. I didn't get to know the robot characters and I completely didn't care what they did (their generic alien robot designs didn't help). Even Street Fighter or van Damme's 'The Quest' (silly as they were) managed to do better in that aspect.
Actually that's the basis on which the makers of an adaptation should build their movie. Think what 'made' the original and make the movie feel like an actual "King of Fighters" movie not some generic fighting movie with some ideas very loosely adapted from the game. This is the flaw found both in the Dragon Ball and Chun Li movies and the fighting sequences aren't even that good to make up for it.
If the basics were kept and the plot/fights were decent we'd get a good movie both for the fans and the general public. Or at least something which would earn money.

Dembol said:
Oh god. This whole remake, reinvention thing is killing me. Did we somehow loose most of the inteligent minds capable of inventing original franchises during the last 10 years?
Yes.

There's been a sharp decline in quality since, oh, 2001?

The terrorists have won! :magni:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Just checking. Did KoF ever actually have a compelling story to begin with? It's always seemed pretty mindless and cliche to me.

Scorpio

Courtesy of Grail's doodling.
Walter said:
Just checking. Did KoF ever actually have a compelling story to begin with? It's always seemed pretty mindless and cliche to me.

Not particularly, but it has many redeeming qualities. Basically, a KoF movie that didn't butcher the source material would likely take place in Southtown in one of three possible eras: The first could be based around either the local crime syndicate (Geese Howard) or slightly later with a foreign influence trying to take over the city (Krauser). The second scenario could revolve around the Orochi saga and the clan feud between Kyo and Iori. The third could have involved a more sensical version or the military intrigue that comes later.

[edit]Basically, each of those are already established cliche's that could result in a solid movie. Instead we have... oh my god. We have the original Mortal Kombat movie except with KoF characters and making even less sense. Wow. The warriors of KoF must traverse to another dimension to stop worlds from colliding and wreaking havoc on earth. Ugh.

Walter said:
Just checking. Did KoF ever actually have a compelling story to begin with?
Not really. But between a crappy plot and a crappy plot, but taken from the actual source material the choice is pretty obvious.

Oh well. I managed to live through Transformers 2. I'll live through that. I just hope the rumored remake of The Rocky Horror Picture Show never becomes reality.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
Whether it's KOF or SF, the movies/TV shows are lackluster at best. Fighting games just don't translate well to those formats, at least from what I've seen.

Every trailer I saw before Zombieland looked like a waste of time.
The world is ending in 2012 and John Cusack and his buddies just seemed to TRY and fly through toppling building and bridges.
People are having Nightmares on Elm Street, again. :schierke:
Oh yeah and Saw IV. :ganishka:

Thank god there's some decent games coming out in the next few months...

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
The Perineum Falcon said:
Yes.

There's been a sharp decline in quality since, oh, 2001?

The terrorists have won! :magni:

There's actually an interesting theory on this; in a nutshell, the great films that define this decade, and their creators, have been on television, in the form of shows such as The Wire, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, etc.

KazigluBey

Misanthrōpos
slan69 said:
Is there really a need for more parts to this pointless movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1233227/

One could say the same for A nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween etc. The first films were all great, after that it was just about cashing in. Saw is no different. It isn't supposed to be highbrow entertainment in the first place.

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
KazigluBey said:
One could say the same for A nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th, Halloween etc. The first films were all great, after that it was just about cashing in. Saw is no different. It isn't supposed to be highbrow entertainment in the first place.

Don't even compare the Elm Street movies, or even Halloween in some aspects, to the rest.
Friday the 13th was always shit.
Halloween, just like the first Nightmare, are horror classics. They both have decent sequels, some worse than others, but mostly way better and more imaginative than Saw "five sequels in five years", or Jason goes to New York and crap like that.

X

Xem

I've never wanted to shoot someone in the fucking head but........ I just watched Dragonball Evolution.

Seriously. WHAT THE FUCK

Aren't comics basically storyboards for movies and cartoons? WHY NOT USE THEM?!

Thanks for letting me vent.

May Berserk never be made live-action for as long as I live.

Phew! I feel better.

Deci said:
I've never wanted to shoot someone in the fucking head but........ I just watched Dragonball Evolution.

You have my respect having watched that. I don't have the courage to view such an abomination.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
ori said:
You have my respect having watched that. I don't have the courage to view such an abomination.
I might have told this story before, but my friend works at a theater, so we got in to see it for free and the room was literally empty. My two friends and I were able to nerdrage as loud as we wanted to at the screen, and our voices were sore afterwards. :ganishka: I think it really helped me get over how horrible it was.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
handsome rakshas said:
This might be the thread ender. :isidro:

This is by all means a movie to dread and I'm kind of sick with myself right now because I'm interested in actually seeing it. The fact it is supposed to be 100% medically accurate is what makes me curious, I'm not into gore/shock movies. Don't click on this if you're squeemish, it's pretty fucked up.

I don't know man, the pictures shown in that article are not particularly disturbing.

handsome rakshas said:
This might be the thread ender. :isidro:

This is by all means a movie to dread and I'm kind of sick with myself right now because I'm interested in actually seeing it. The fact it is supposed to be 100% medically accurate is what makes me curious, I'm not into gore/shock movies. Don't click on this if you're squeemish, it's pretty fucked up.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/32390/human-centipede-stills-slither-out

That's fucking disgusting and I'm not squeamish at all. It doesn't seem like gore to me. Isn't gore just mainly extremely graphic killing? This is just extremely disgusting. Oh and what did you mean 100% medically accurate? I didn't bother watching the trailer but just read what was there. There was no mention of anything. Did they hire an actual surgeon to make something like that look feasible? lol I dunno...movies like this just make me hate society even more.

Aazealh said:
I don't know man, the pictures shown in that article are not particularly disturbing.

To me the pics don't have to be. It's just the concept of what he wants to do to these people and the few pictures displaying how he seemingly did accomplish it. Ewwwww

My lady is going to want to see that on opening night. Hah!
(And she'll drag me kicking and screaming because she knows how much I go crazy watching most of anything Cronenberg.)

handsome rakshas

Thanks Grail!
Aazealh said:

Oh listen to Mr. Casual over here. While I find the screens very disturbing the movie description sickened me even more. I'm just not used to these really gross out type movies. Speaking of horror movies (I'm kind of on a kick lately, hopefully my sick fascination will wear off after Halloween) I have Martyrs, Frontier(s), and Inside. Which one should I watch first Aaz? I wanted to pick the three goriest I could from each country, have you seen any of them?

I really can't get Human Centipede out of my mind.
I heard this is playing at a horror fest in L.A right now. I will paypal whoever goes to see it 10 bucks as long as they write me a little review. I can't believe I'm fascinated by such a fucked up movie.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I'm dreading this movie because someone is going to force me to see this.

I seem to have found my man!

Top Bottom