Movies to dread

X

Xem

NightCrawler said:
I enjoyed both Rush Hour 1 and 2. :schnoz:

I swear there's something up with the Rush Hour movies and the most random people liking it. I had a pretty mediocre experience with the movies, but it seems to ring a bell with a lot of people you wouldn't expect. Big Jackie Chan fans, maybe? I could maybe see that.

It's almost like there's some big secret I don't know. :troll:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Come on Rush Hour 1 was a good buddy movie. Very funny and some cool action. The sequels were total crap but the first one isn't bad. Whenever I see it on TV I put it on and will always find something new to laugh at. Its just one of those movies, maybe for me because it came out in 98, I was 10 and I enjoyed it back then.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Brothers, a high budget shit movie!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/brothers/
When a decorated Marine goes missing overseas, his black-sheep younger brother cares for his wife and children at home—with consequences that will shake the foundation of the entire family. BROTHERS tells the powerful story of two siblings, thirtysomething Captain Sam Cahill (Tobey Maguire) and younger brother Tommy Cahill (Jake Gyllenhaal), who are polar opposites. A Marine about to embark on his fourth tour of duty, Sam is a steadfast family man married to his high school sweetheart, the aptly named Grace (Natalie Portman), with whom he has two young daughters (Bailee Madison, Taylor Grace Geare). Tommy, his charismatic younger brother, is a drifter just out of jail who’s always gotten by on wit and charm. He slides easily into his role as family provocateur on his first night out of prison, at Sam’s farewell dinner with their parents, Elsie (Mare Winningham) and Hank Cahill (Sam Shepard), a retired Marine.

X

Xem

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

If you ask me most relationship dramas in general are shit, so I don't disagree with you. There's a couple things going for this movie though. For one, it appeals to some of the troops coming home in America, as I'm sure is sometimes sadly usual, their spouse has left them after a prolonged time of being gone. Second, love triangles are almost always a sure-fire way sell tickets to drama lovers... and to honest, I'm a huge fan of the Macross movie, so I understand. Thirdly... and definitely the most superficial, Jake Gyllenhaal and Tobey Maguire actually do look like brothers. I can see what the creators of this movie were shooting for, and I'm sure it'll work.

As a bonus note, the same generation that loves Natalie Portman are probably also very familiar with Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko) and Tobey Maguire, so the dynamic they all bring to the stage actually makes sense in a dramatic way.

Having said that, it'll probably still suck, but not bad for a chick flick none-the-less! :griffnotevil:

Oburi

All praise Grail
As a bonus note, the same generation that loves Natalie Portman are probably also very familiar with Jake Gyllenhaal (Donnie Darko) and Tobey Maguire, so the dynamic they all bring to the stage actually makes sense in a dramatic way.

Anyone else not like Natalie Portman? She had some good films (Leon) but for the most part she's just stupid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8e6-IeQ0aw

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Pffff, yeah, she's made some good movies, is attractive, educated, and has a sense of humor about herself... I hate her! :mozgus:

You guys are thinking too much about Natalie Portman to not like her. She's a completely passive, if not pleasant, entity. =)

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
グリフィス said:
Pffff, yeah, she's made some good movies, is attractive, educated, and has a sense of humor about herself... I hate her! :mozgus:

You guys are thinking too much about Natalie Portman to not like her. She's a completely passive, if not pleasant, entity. =)

She would make my avatar come true. Several times.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

The premise reminds me a lot of this movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0386342/

It's a Danish movie from 2004 which I happened to watch a few years ago. I actually enjoyed it a lot.

If this new movie resembles the Danish one, perhaps it will not be as bad as everyone here expects it to be.

EDIT: What do you know, it's actually a remake of the Danish movie.

X

Xem

m said:
EDIT: What do you know, it's actually a remake of the Danish movie.

Sadly, this doesn't surprise me. You can pretty much close your eyes and throw a dart at a movie nowadays and it'll probably be a remake or a "reboot".

Does that mean it'll suck? By no means, of course, hell it could be even better. It's just sad that out of all the creative minds in Hollywood, they can't seem to come up with an original idea these days.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Deci said:
Does that mean it'll suck? By no means, of course, hell it could be even better. It's just sad that out of all the creative minds in Hollywood, they can't seem to come up with an original idea these days.

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
Sarcasm, right?

Right, in reference to how there are no more original ideas in hollywood anymore. Regardless, like Rhombaad and the others, I'll still go see it.

Griffith

Speaking of Dances with Na'vi, an interesting article about it and its chances:

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/can-cameron-deliver-titanic-results-avatar-ap

James Cameron said:
"The thing I feared most about this film was that because it wasn't a franchise picture and it wasn't based on something that already was imprinted in the public consciousness, that they just wouldn't know what we were or that we existed," Cameron said. "Fairly early on, we were able to create a pretty high profile for the movie as this kind of mysterious thing, and then it seemed like the more we revealed about it, the more kind of excitement and buzz around it, positive and negative, that there was.

"But the more people are talking, the more they've got to resolve the issue for themselves by going to see the movie."

He's right, we're already trapped in his web... Damn you, Cameron!
nerd.gif

Griffith

Yeah, I've made my honest impressions no secret. This is why I plan to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9ceBgWV8io#t=02m40s

From 2:40 to 2:50 of that trailer, that's the reason.* Unlike those movies though, I don't find the material inherently compelling, but my inner young John Connor says the future's not set, and to go throw on some silly 3D headgear (*which I've also yet to ever do) and see if the old man has something left to show me, even if it means I'm probably walking into this. It's hard to think of examples where this actually works out though... but the only one I can think of, which is still a very different situation from this, also happens to be the latest: Inglorious Basterds.

Top Bottom