Movies to dread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I wonder if this had been a new Speilberg movie would you be more interested in seeing it?
Not really. It's the premise of the movie that's not compelling to me.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:

Well I agree, but it isn't really the premise of the film that will get my ass in the seat, like Griff said, it's the fact that it's Cameron, the movie God of my youth. Can he make a shitty movie? yea, obviously its possible. But I'm willing to take that chance, hell it could be awesome. I'm not ruling anything out, and believe I'm not a fanboy who has been following this movie for a long time. I say this as a casual moviegoer. Even Titanic, I was 9 years old when it came out, but I still enjoyed it, and I saw it a few times in theaters. Lets face it the guy is pretty decent hollywood director.

And really, if it sucks it sucks. I'm not even going to make excuses for Avatar like I would for a Tarantino film, but I'll definitely give it a chance. The trailer looks cool, and it does seem like something I could enjoy...and for gods sake it's Cameron! :mozgus: It does bother me that you won't see it Walter, I generally enjoy your reviews. Your sneak preview for Inglorious Bastards put things into perspective for me before going into it, just to name one. All we are saaaying... is give James a chaaance :sad:

I've never attached any holiness or sanctity, or really too much importance to anything Cameron's done (sorry guys), so his name and his resumé - however accomplished it looks on paper - are not selling points for me. By the same token, I'm not expecting anything good to really come of this, but I must say, when someone claims that they've "revolutionized" cinema, it's not something I take lightly, and that's really the only reason I'm buying a ticket for this: to find out exactly what this nut seems to think he's done here, even if I'd be better off staying at home and renting Final Fantasy.

I guess it sounds like I've gone and gotten my mind all made up about this picture, but I haven't, not really. It's intriguing for the reason stated above, and I really do prefer it when I find myself not feeling like I wasted a good twelve bucks at the end of the day. *fingers crossed*

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
グリフィス said:
From 2:40 to 2:50 of that trailer, that's the reason.* Unlike those movies though, I don't find the material inherently compelling, but my inner young John Connor says the future's not set, and to go throw on some silly 3D headgear (*which I've also yet to ever do) and see if the old man has something left to show me, even if it means I'm probably walking into this. It's hard to think of examples where this actually works out though... but the only one I can think of, which is still a very different situation from this, also happens to be the latest: Inglorious Basterds.

My feelings exactly. I'm going to see it because Cameron directed it. Titanic aside, I've enjoyed all his films so far and am hoping Avatar is closer in feel to Aliens, The Abyss and T2: Judgment Day than it is to the "three hour wait to watch people drown" that Titanic was. And, like Oburi, it looks like it could be a fun movie to watch.

It might be a good idea to create an Avatar thread soon since it starts in theaters next week.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/2008-12-11-awards-campaign-2009/posts/golden-globes-ready-to-go-gaga-for-avatar

Those nominees don´t really mean anything but it seems to have managed to catch them by surprise. We´ll see how it goes once the reviews start rolling in.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Personally, while I don't think Avatar is going to be bad (and I also believe it'll do well at the box office), I can't help but to be uninterested in it and to generally consider it negatively. There are two reasons for it: first off, the premise seems awfully cheesy and predictable from the little I've seen (~10 minutes of footage revealed a while back). Second, the claims of incredible lifelikeness and revolutionary techniques we've been hearing for so long have set expectations that the movie does not seem to match so far. Sure, it's well done, but I wasn't blown away by what I saw.

Dar_Klink

Last Guardian when? - CyberKlink 20XX before dying
Aazealh said:
Second, the claims of incredible lifelikeness and revolutionary techniques we've been hearing for so long have set expectations that the movie does not seem to match so far. Sure, it's well done, but I wasn't blown away by what I saw.
Watching the trailers made me laugh pretty hard, it looks like early PS2 era FMV graphics. Metal Gear Solid 4 looks better than this movie during gameplay, it's really nothing amazing. As for the premise, like Aaz said, it seems horribly predictable to me.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Walter said:

I agree, but that only goes so far, if it's a good movie, it's a good movie, and I want to see for myself rather than sit it out, arms crossed.

Walter said:
Titanic can suck my balls. That's when Cameron lost his marbles, for me.

When I heard the length of that flick I thought he was going to show the ship sinking in real time and it would be an awesome technical achievement. Boy, was I disappointed. I actually tried watching it again a few years ago and couldn't get past the opening credits, I was already bored with the self-importance of it all. Anyway, for me it wasn't Titanic when he lost his marbles so much as him spending the decade after making loosely related and weird undersea documentaries...

The Perineum Falcon said:
I must say, when someone claims that they've "revolutionized" cinema, it's not something I take lightly, and that's really the only reason I'm buying a ticket for this: to find out exactly what this nut seems to think he's done here, even if I'd be better off staying at home and renting Final Fantasy.

I guess it sounds like I've gone and gotten my mind all made up about this picture, but I haven't, not really. It's intriguing for the reason stated above, and I really do prefer it when I find myself not feeling like I wasted a good twelve bucks at the end of the day. *fingers crossed*

Actually, it sounds like you're more open-minded than me honestly, my familiarity with Cameron only makes me think he's full of so much shit on that front, but like you say, when someone makes such a claim, you take notice.

njashi9 said:
It might be a good idea to create an Avatar thread soon since it starts in theaters next week.

There was one, it was deleted at the request of the author after the trailer came out and it looked like A Bug's Life 2.

Aazealh said:
Personally, while I don't think Avatar is going to be bad (and I also believe it'll do well at the box office), I can't help but to be uninterested in it and to generally consider it negatively. There are two reasons for it: first off, the premise seems awfully cheesy and predictable from the little I've seen (~10 minutes of footage revealed a while back). Second, the claims of incredible lifelikeness and revolutionary techniques we've been hearing for so long have set expectations that the movie does not seem to match so far. Sure, it's well done, but I wasn't blown away by what I saw.

Yeah, it's a sucker's bet, it looks totally mediocre, and I actually think it might be worse than you think (c'mon low expectations! =), but what I found interesting about the article I posted earlier was that they were actually talking about it realistically; in terms of being just a movie, that people might not like it, and it could bomb, etc. rather than the cryptic praise of what a mysteriously awesome experience it is (though there's still some of that, like Sigourney Weaver comparing it to the Wizard of Oz).

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
njashi9 said:

グリフィス said:
There was one, it was deleted at the request of the author after the trailer came out and it looked like A Bug's Life 2.

This.

I'm with most of you. And more, i hope "Dances with Smurfs" bombs.

X

Xem

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all these trailers, synopsis, and posters we see of Avatar were all Red Herrings and the movie actually turned out to be something totally different. I keep thinking to myself how genius it would be for Cameron to come out and say, "Ha, gotcha! These cinematic are all actually a ploy to make people think this movie will suck - like George Lucas' Star Wars Prequels and Spielberg's Indy 4!"...

then BAM!

The real Avatar movie is released and it's actually revolutionary.

Hey, we can dream, can't we?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Deci said:
Hey, we can dream, can't we?

There is dreaming and then there is being delusional.

Edit: Let it be known I don't want to see this, but I most likely will have to. However; I'm not rooting for this movie's success or failure. Only that it'll be watchable.

Cameron's Next Film Revealed?
Avatar helmer may send Seven Samurai into space.
Source: IGN

James Cameron may not be done with outer space adventures once his sci-fi epic Avatar opens next week.

Production Weekly tweets that Cameron is developing a sci-fi action script penned by Shane Salerno (Armageddon, Aliens vs Predator - Requiem) for 20th Century Fox (also the studio behind Avatar).

PW didn't provide any further details than that, but SCI FI Wire claims that the project is likely Doomsday Protocol, a spec script that Salerno sold to Fox in the fall of 2008.

The Hollywood Reporter described the project at the time as "an epic science fiction adventure in the vein of The Seven Samurai" that revolves around a group of aliens and humans with various super-abilities who are brought together to save Earth.

NightCrawler

James Cameron may not be done with outer space adventures once his sci-fi epic Avatar opens next week.

Production Weekly tweets that Cameron is developing a sci-fi action script penned by Shane Salerno (Armageddon, Aliens vs Predator - Requiem) for 20th Century Fox (also the studio behind Avatar).

PW didn't provide any further details than that, but SCI FI Wire claims that the project is likely Doomsday Protocol, a spec script that Salerno sold to Fox in the fall of 2008.

The Hollywood Reporter described the project at the time as "an epic science fiction adventure in the vein of The Seven Samurai" that revolves around a group of aliens and humans with various super-abilities who are brought together to save Earth.

How in hell is this piece of shit still working?

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler

And I thought Samurai 7 sounded like crap.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
NightCrawler said:
How in hell is this piece of shit still working?

My thoughts exactly. AvP: Requiem? Reaaaaally? As for this:

It has me convinced that this is just a joke.

Oburi

All praise Grail
YEa I don't really buy it. Cameron is planning on doing Battle Angel Alita after Avatar as well as a few other projects, I wouldn't get all up in arms over this just yet.

What's most surprising about this is he's still speaking of doing all these later projects when he (read: no one) is sure about the success of his over-budgeted movie, which, if it fails (or does not return a profit) would make all these plans of his nil. And if this is the direction he is going, is probably the better outcome for all of us.

Oburi

All praise Grail
What's most surprising about this is he's still speaking of doing all these later projects when he (read: no one) is sure about the success of his over-budgeted movie, which, if it fails (or does not return a profit) would make all these plans of his nil. And if this is the direction he is going, is probably the better outcome for all of us.

Well come on, I mean say what you will about the guy but who wouldn't think if he was to have made the Terminator sequels it would have been better? I understand the problems people have with Avatar (the more I see the trailer the more I feel like I just seen the whole movie already) but I think Battle Angel Alita would be cool. I know Cameron is into some anime and manga, and he's still a potentially good director, he just has an ego the size of the titanic, pun intended.

Of course if that Seven Samurai in space shit is true I'll probably kill myself. :mozgus:

Is Cameron becoming the next Michael Cimino? :carcus:
I'd love to see Cameron do Gunnm, just not with robot smurfs, please. A great shame Stan Winston isn't around to keep Cameron's ego in check anymore.

NightCrawler

All Cameron should do to redeem himself is True Lies 2. Who's with me?

"And she's got the most incredible body too and a pair of titties that make you wanna stand up and beg for buttermilk. Ass like a ten year old boy!"

Probably the best movie quote ever.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I think Battle Angel Alita would be cool.

Everytime I read the words "Battle Angel Alita" I hate Cameron a little more.

NightCrawler said:
All Cameron should do to redeem himself is True Lies 2. Who's with me?

True Lies is overrated IMHO.

NightCrawler

Aazealh said:
True Lies is overrated IMHO.

But not Jamie Lee Curtis!

I was being mildly sarcastic. It's not a great movie, just good fun. I somehow put in the same bag as Last Action Hero. Dunno why. Probably because they're both over the top, the difference is one is blatantly self-conscious.

Top Bottom