Movies to dread

X

Xem

Even though I haven't seen Twilight (and never will), this seems like a mix between it and The Crow.... only worse.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/fadingofthecries/

edit: I only post this because of how it reminded me of Twilight (from what I've heard of it and the numerous trailers shoved in my face), and since that series has become so huge, I can only grimace at the idea that this movie will become a success as well.... spawning more and more movies with the same likeness.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Anyone else think that Sherlock Holmes looks terrible? The trailer seems way to actiony, and I saw at least two explosions, that's two too many.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Oburi said:
Anyone else think that Sherlock Holmes looks terrible? The trailer seems way to actiony, and I saw at least two explosions, that's one too many.

It looks entertaining, but I doubt it's going to be all that faithful to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters/stories. If reviews are positive I might check it out.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
Anyone else think that Sherlock Holmes looks terrible? The trailer seems way to actiony, and I saw at least two explosions, that's two too many.

I wouldn't say that it looks "terrible" in itself, but like Rhombaad I think it's just not going to be very faithful to the original works. Which is unfortunate.

Oburi said:
For the record I haven't seen New Moon, and I won't until I run into someone who has the dvd.

If that was meant to be a rebuttal it's comically weak.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Avatar was nominated for Best Motion Picture Drama at the Golden Globes, so at least the one major Hollywood institution, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, is taking it seriously. It also currently has an 89 at Metacritic with 7 reviews, but with considerably more at Rotten Tomatoes it's still pulling an 86%, "Consensus: It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling, but Avatar reaffirms James Cameron's singular gift for imaginative, absorbing filmmaking."

Well, that's nice to hear. Anyway, these things unfortunately don't exclude the possibility of total suckage, while only raising my expectations... but I feel better about it than I did before.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/12/scottworld.php

Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe both return for the sequel to Gladiator.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
http://hollywood-elsewhere.com/2009/12/scottworld.php

Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe both return for the sequel to Gladiator.

Oh god, what a bore. Well it can't be worse than the Costner version can it?

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
Gladiator 2: Robin Hoodaloo.

Crowe is the worst choice ever for Robin Hood. If they were looking for an aging fat bastard to play the part, why wasn't this a Mel Gibson joint?

Oburi

All praise Grail
NightCrawler said:
Gladiator 2: Robin Hoodaloo.

Crowe is the worst choice ever for Robin Hood. If they were looking for an aging fat bastard to play the part, why wasn't this a Mel Gibson joint?

Seriously he doesn't fit the role at all. He didn't even look right holding the bow for some strange reason. He just isn't Robin Hood.

robinhoodcopy.jpg

Here's my photoshop of the history of Robin Hood. He just doesn't fit, granted half of those are a joke, a bad depiction or a cartoon, but still it doesn't work. Nothing compares to Errol Flynn anyway.

Griffith

Oburi said:
Oh god, what a bore. Well it can't be worse than the Costner version can it?

I say it can. The Costner version, for all its hogwash, had a lot of character(s), charm, and overall entertainment value; it's actually an iconic early 90's movie, for better or worse. This one just looks like, as you said, a bore. Maybe that's iconic of this decade's movies.

Oburi

All praise Grail
グリフィス said:
I say it can. The Costner version, for all its hogwash, had a lot of character(s), charm, and overall entertainment value; it's actually an iconic early 90's movie, for better or worse. This one just looks like, as you said, a bore. Maybe that's iconic of this decade's movies.

Ok so it could possibly be worse than Cosnter's, but seriously Cosnter's Robin Hood is one of the worst movies ever made by humans. I wouldn't say it has "charm" (or entertainment). Also biggest waste of talent.
robinhoodwhyrickman.jpg

Griffith

"I'll cut your heart out with a SPOOOOOOOON!" :ubik:

Oh, you're taking it WAY too seriously, it's a great guilty pleasure cable movie, everything from the cheesy subtitle to the corresponding love song during the credits; where else will you find Costner, Freeman, Rickman, Christian Slater, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio and even bloody Sean Connery all miscast and hamming it up in their primes?

It's so (bad, it's) good in that regard, it even inspired, nay, demanded, one of the more memorable parodies of the 90's. :guts:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Ha ha, true that! I love those hand held crossbow pistols that they use constantly ( or was that first knight? doesn't matter) Quick question- is this the one where Sean Connery french kisses the chick at the end? I have that image from my distant childhood. That was so terrible, was it really prince of thieves?

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:

I have to agree with that. Morgan Freeman's scimitar-throw at the end redeems everything else. Oburi, your taste in movies lacks credibility. :iva: And like NightCrawler said, Russel Crowe strikes me as being miscast here.

Oburi said:
Seriously he doesn't fit the role at all. He didn't even look right holding the bow for some strange reason. He just isn't Robin Hood.

That's because Christian Bale was set to be Robin Hood but he declined. Crowe was already cast in another part in the movie but was recast as Robin Hood when Bale dropped out.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
I just watched the trailer for Robin Hood and I don't think it looks that bad. I hate to admit that I haven't seen Prince of Thieves since I was very young. The spoon line is one that I remember laughing at when I was a kid:

"Why a spoon?"
"'Cause it'll hurt more!"

...or something like that. :ganishka:

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
One would think they'd try to come up with a more clever title. Prince of Thieves was a welcome change from straight up ROBIN HOOD.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Walter said:
One would think they'd try to come up with a more clever title. Prince of Thieves was a welcome change from straight up ROBIN HOOD.

It was going to be called Nottingham for a while, but Scott decided to change it for some reason.

Rhombaad said:
I just watched the trailer for Robin Hood and I don't think it looks that bad.
Yeah, it looks nice, but one thing that caught my attention was a rubber shield that was trembling while some warrior was running, it reminded me of Gladiator's rubber knife. :guts:

Top Bottom