Movies to dread

Rhombaad said:
It was going to be called Nottingham for a while, but Scott decided to change it for some reason.

People are going to recognize the name Robin Hood more than something like Nottingham. I'm sure it's a cheap move to get more people to pay attention to the movie.

In a way, they're not really wrong. Plenty of dumb people who wouldn't have any idea what Nottingham refers to.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
CowTip said:
People are going to recognize the name Robin Hood more than something like Nottingham. I'm sure it's a cheap move to get more people to pay attention to the movie.

In a way, they're not really wrong. Plenty of dumb people who wouldn't have any idea what Nottingham refers to.
So, movies should always cater to idiots? Also, I'd think having Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott in the credits to your movie would draw enough attention for the average idiot. By your logic, more people would have seen The Dark Knight had it been called something like Batman 2.

Walter said:
So, movies should always cater to idiots? Also, I'd think having Russell Crowe and Ridley Scott in the credits to your movie would draw enough attention for the average idiot. By your logic, more people would have seen The Dark Knight had it been called something like Batman 2.

I'm not necessarily saying they should, but I can almost guarantee you that's why the movie was named straight up Robin Hood and I honestly would not be surprised if there wasn't plenty of people who didn't initially know that the Dark Knight = Batman. If the Dark Knight hadn't been so hyped up, it very well might have been better served having Batman somewhere in the title. As dumb as it seems, you need to understand the average Walmart shopping individual. The name Robin Hood evokes certain schema that the name Nottingham doesn't and if that gets more people in the seats, that's all the marketing team really cares about.

Got free movie passes for x-mas. :guts:
Went to see Sherlock Holmes and really, what is there to say? It was pretty mediocre. Downey Jr. and Jude Law were enjoyable but it was pretty predictable and seemed to drag on a bit. It's a rental for sure guys.

But, I DID buy District 9 on Blu-Ray. Now that was a good goddamn time.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Even though I'll most likely see it, I still feel the upcoming Dune remake belongs in this thread. Peter Berg apparently dropped out of the project in October, which is good because he was planning to make the movie an action flick instead of sticking closer to the novel (which to be fair, does have its share of action, it's just not the focal point). I got this off of a link on Rotten Tomatoes:

Paramount has found a new director for its remake of the sci-fi classic Dune, after Peter Berg dropped off the project in October. The studio has hired Taken helmer Pierre Morel to oversee the movie. Paramount is currently looking for a new writer to incorporate Morel’s vision of the project into the original draft by Quantum of Solace scribe Josh Zetumer. Morel plans to make a very faithful adaptation of the 1965 book by Frank Herbert. The movie is a high priority for Paramount’s production chief Adam Goodman. Kevin Misher and Richard Rubinstein are producing.

I'm a little worried about Josh Zetumer being involved with the project, as I thought the writing in Quantum of Solace was extremely weak, but for all we know Pierre Morel's crew will change the script completely.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
Even though I'll most likely see it, I still feel the upcoming Dune remake belongs in this thread.

Blah. Any Dune movie belongs in here. At least the Lynch movie had superb music and a few great shots of the desert.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Blah. Any Dune movie belongs in here. At least the Lynch movie had superb music and a few great shots of the desert.

Haha, especially the Sci-Fi (SyFy :schierke:) version. At least the Lynch version had style.

nomad

"Bring the light of day"
Rhombaad said:
Haha, especially the Sci-Fi (SyFy :schierke:) version. At least the Lynch version had style.
Indeed. Aaz and I share the same passion for that soundtrack. And in my personal visual prefference
some of the visuals to me will be eternal (water drop scene for instance). Whoever it is that will be
making this remake has some big shoes to fill if they wish to impress the nerd community. My hopes
are low, but one can hope.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Nomad said:
My hopes
are low, but one can hope.
dreamcatcher34.jpg

"Hope is a dangerous thing."​

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Nomad said:
Indeed. Aaz and I share the same passion for that soundtrack.

I keep hearing good things (mainly from you guys) about Toto's soundtrack for the movie. I really need to pick it up (wonder if it's on iTunes...). Another one I really love from back in the 80s is the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis (technically it was released in '94, but the movie is from the 80s). The main theme where you see the expanse of 2019 LA is awesome.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Rhombaad said:
I keep hearing good things (mainly from you guys) about Toto's soundtrack for the movie. I really need to pick it up (wonder if it's on iTunes...). Another one I really love from back in the 80s is the Blade Runner soundtrack by Vangelis (technically it was released in '94, but the movie is from the 80s).

Incidentally, those two soundtracks were the main inspiration for Mass Effect's OST. Just sayin'.
N7.gif

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Aazealh said:
Incidentally, those two soundtracks were the main inspiration for Mass Effect's OST. Just sayin'.
N7.gif

I really need to download that game. I hear it's pretty cheap on Steam right now. I'm so behind the times when it comes to video games.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/spiderman-4-delayed-maguire-raimi-out-ap

Spidey 3 made a gazillion dollars but wasn't very good, so the studio wisely decided to go in a... worse direction. Seriously, a reboot, 8 years after the original? Unless they're going to offer the franchise to James Cameron, now that he's hot shit again, to bring his lost vision of it to the big screen, I don't follow the logic of the gamble (of course, it's not such a gamble, since unless it's a spectacular failure it's going to make money anyway).

Oh, and here's a dreadful superhero sampler:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature//movie-talk-blake-lively-superhero-club.html

Green Lantern, Deadpool, X-Men prequel, Jonah Hex, and Thor. Oh my.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
グリフィス said:

Ryan Reynolds as fucking Hal Jordan? Well, at least this is in the appropriate thread. :azan:

NightCrawler

Aeons gone, vast, mad and deathless
グリフィス said:
http://movies.yahoo.com/news/movies.ap.org/spiderman-4-delayed-maguire-raimi-out-ap

Spidey 3 made a gazillion dollars but wasn't very good, so the studio wisely decided to go in a... worse direction. Seriously, a reboot, 8 years after the original? Unless they're going to offer the franchise to James Cameron, now that he's hot shit again, to bring his lost vision of it to the big screen, I don't follow the logic of the gamble (of course, it's not such a gamble, since unless it's a spectacular failure it's going to make money anyway).

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

..mmmmmm Blake Lively...

Clash of the Titans (remake)

From IGN
There are rumblings that reshoots are set to film this month -- planned not just to correct perceived issues with the movie, but because the studio has opted to expand the films budget and make it even more epic. Worthington told The L.A. Times, "They cut loose with some money so we can add to it." He admits, however, "There were some creaky parts, but they are the parts we knew were creaky and that we knew were going to be creaky going into it. The studio is also letting us add some gods and scenes, and they're talking about making the movie a 3D film."

Now, replace the word 'creaky' for 'shitty'. "Now we have more money to make it less awful. Oh, oh and since we're done let's make it 3-D!"

6a00c2251ffd548e1d00c22523c8e98fdb-500pi

"Martha's polishin' the brass on the Titanic. It's all going down man..."

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Clash of the Titans (remake)
When the trailer's first few seconds came on in the theater before Avatar, my wife nudged me and said, "Hey, I want to see this." Then, as the trailer ended, she nudged me again. "Forget I said anything." My lips are sealed :carcus:

Oburi

All praise Grail
Walter said:
My lips are sealed :carcus:

Your fingers still work though eh?

But I thought the same thing too. At first I was like "YEA AWESOME!" but by the end of the trailer I was all like "naa, forget that".

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Yeah, it's one of those movies where I'd be surprised if it turned out to be good, but I don't have much hope for it. I'm still looking forward to Robin Hood though, hehe. :iva:

Shooting has wrapped for Predators

20100116.jpg

Ehhhh :facepalm:

Gallery:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=244

And supposedly the ending has been leaked...

None of this feels right.

Top Bottom