Movies to dread

X

Xem

I've been indecisive about whether I wanted to put this movie in this thread or the other one for the last 24 hours, and sadly, I finally placed it here. That movie is Scorsese's latest, Shutter Island. Honestly, if you try to take an outside perspective, knowing nothing about the movie - it's director, the actors, the book and it's author, other movies in the genre, etc - it's a pretty good movie. In the end though, it my impulse reaction after seeing was, "Really? That's it?!". And that's probably the best description of the movie imho.

The formula has been overused and I've seen better from almost everyone involved in the movie. 'Specially Scorsese, DiCaprio did just fine. However, it left me disappointed to the point that I kept trying to read deeper into it, trying to find some clue that this wasn't just another horror/mystery cliche. In the end though, that's what it was.

I wouldn't try to stop anyone from seeing it, it's good, it just left a lot of potential on the table. As one of the reviews I read stated, and I'm paraphrasing, if Scorsese was at any fault here, it's that he stayed a little too faithful to the book. It's one of those rare cases where a great filmmaker like him actually should have taken some liberties and stepped it up a notch. I'm sure the author probably would've approved.

Anyway, here's hoping Scorsese returns to his rightful genre after this.

Oburi

All praise Grail
I agree for the most part Deci (
I just wish there really were some crazy evil, Nazi, satanic experiments going on
). It was like the buildup was better than the outcome.

Alien Prequel...in 3-fucking-D.

With all of the announcements of upcoming movies being planned for 3D over the next few years, one would expect that whether or not an upcoming tentpole movie will be in 3D is going to replace the "PG-13 vs. R" question that most filmmakers tend to get. The latest movie that seems to be going that route is Ridley Scott and 20th Century Fox's planned Alien Prequel.

UK sci-fi site Shadow Locked had a chance to talk with art director Roger Christian who worked on Star Wars and Alien, and they asked him about the direction Scott might take with a prequel, the two of them having worked together on the original movie. Besides dropping the fact that it will be shot in 3D, he hinted at a possible trilogy in the franchise's future.

He told them: "Ridley's doing the next Alien in 3D. Ridley told me some of his ideas when we were here in Toronto. He has a very clear understanding of where this should go. They kind of stopped dead one of the greatest horror franchises there's ever been, and it had legs to go on. So I'm hoping he'll revive another three. The world certainly wants it, and the fans want it - everybody."

Christian met with Scott, but hasn't confirmed that he might be involved with the new prequel, reuniting the duo for the first time in over 30 years.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
Meh, if it's a prequel and they can do justice to the suspense and bad-assery of the early movies, sure. But I would never claim to be a fan of the "Alien franchise". I love the first two, and that's about it.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Saephon said:
But I would never claim to be a fan of the "Alien franchise". I love the first two, and that's about it.
I think that almost goes without saying. Are there actually any fans of Alien 3 and 4?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Chiming in to say Alice In Wonderland is a terrible movie. My girlfriend bought me a ticket, so I was dragged... :farnese:

Edit: Very nice visually, the first act was pretty promising [take note I didn't know anything about the movie other than the johnny depp was in it]. Halfway into act-two it started going down hill into the shit bucket which later turned out to be act 3. The movie honestly went from ok to coming of age movie to being worse than Epic Movie. Also
the mad hatter dance was thrown way out from left field

Edit: Edit: I hate Johnny Depp even more. My brother said it best when he said, Depp is just taking every role he's presented with.

I feel your pain man, I was supposed to see it today with my g/f, but thankfully the showing she wanted to watch was sold out. :ganishka:

Unfortunately, she bought tickets for next weekend. :azan:

This is a silly question Bob, but is there anything redeeming to be seen here man? How was 3-D?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Proj2501 said:
This is a silly question Bob, but is there anything redeeming to be seen here man? How was 3-D?

Yeah. I'd say the first half of the movie was pretty entertaining in the sense it's a popcorn flick, 3-D is really good looking and overall the visuals are the big draw for the movie.

I saw a clip just recently (because I could give a shit less about this movie) of Alice in armor and was like, "Really?" I'm all for epic battles and shit but does Alice in Wonderland really need one?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Proj2501 said:
I saw a clip just recently (because I could give a shit less about this movie) of Alice in armor and was like, "Really?" I'm all for epic battles and shit but does Alice in Wonderland really need one?

No it doesn't need it, and yes it's in the movie.

Saephon

Die young and save yourself
I didn't mind it much, but that might be because it was at 11:30pm and the girl and I were already pretty sleepy. Perhaps I blinked during the stupid parts.

In other news, Tim Burton has finally become a parody of himself. If he makes one more movie starring his wife (Helena Bonham-Carter), Johnny Depp, and Alan Rickman, with music by Danny Elfman.....I'm burning down every Hot Topic in the Chicago area. Don't ask me to explain the relevance. You know it makes sense. :SK:

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Saephon said:
I didn't mind it much, but that might be because it was at 11:30pm and the girl and I were already pretty sleepy. Perhaps I blinked during the stupid parts.

Don't be ashamed to admit to seeing this by your self, Saephon. :guts:

Saephon said:
In other news, Tim Burton has finally become a parody of himself. If he makes one more movie starring his wife (Helena Bonham-Carter), Johnny Depp, and Alan Rickman, with music by Danny Elfman.....I'm burning down every Hot Topic in the Chicago area. Don't ask me to explain the relevance. You know it makes sense. :SK:

I can see why he does it. It's his BEST buds. His best movies, in my opinion, were the first Batman movie and Beetle Juice. He is really just killing all of his older fans releasing these movies. And Johnny Depp has been in maybe only a few movies I like. He is typecast in every movie he is in as the zany-crazy-fucker that is somehow off beat [except when he was in Platoon, Dead Man, Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco, From Hell and a few others]. I can't wait till he stops acting.

In before, "he directed Nightmare Before Christmas :isidro:", no that was Henry Selick.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Dead Man is Depps best film IMO. I always liked the guy, but ever since he hit it big with Pirates I must agree that he is getting more and more annoying. But Cmon Bob you didn't mention Benny and Joon or Gilbert Grape OR Ed Wood!

I really want to see Depp as Wallace for Sin City sequel, but unfortunately the rumors seem to be ... well just rumors.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Depp-Confirms-Dark-Shadows-With-Burton-13700.html

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
But Cmon Bob you didn't mention Benny and Joon or Gilbert Grape OR Ed Wood!

In both Benny & Joon and Ed Wood he played off beat people, so I don't see what you're disagreeing with.

Oburi said:
I really want to see Depp as Wallace for Sin City sequel, but unfortunately the rumors seem to be ... well just rumors.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Depp-Confirms-Dark-Shadows-With-Burton-13700.html

I really don't want Depp to play as Wallace. Anyone, but him.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
In both Benny & Joon and Ed Wood he played off beat people, so I don't see what you're disagreeing with.

And he wasn't in from hell?

I was only disagreeing with the typecast part. I don't think he was typecast in those films either. It was too early in his career. And lets be honest Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco and From Hell aren't exactly his best films. And he was barely in Platoon.

I wouldn't mind him as Wallace in Sin City. I like the roles where he is downplayed or not the main character. Like in Once upon a time in Mexico, he wasn't playing the lead (this is after Pirates too) and he was probably the best part of the movie (specifically as the blind gunman) and he was a sort of villain. Sin City movies will be more like an ensemble of star power and nobody will be pushing Depp to wacky on set.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
And he wasn't in from hell?
It's been a while since I've seen it, but from what I remember a drug addicted cop isn't the same thing as Capitan Jack Sparrow.

I was only disagreeing with the typecast part. I don't think he was typecast in those films either. It was too early in his career.
Well he might not have been cast for those particular roles, but it started from those early roles. I'm still sticking with my typecast comment.

And to be honest Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco and From Hell aren't exactly his best films.
I wasn't saying they were his best roles, just that those are examples of movies where he isn't Sam or Willy Wonka or random typecast character.

And he was barely in Platoon.
That's why I mention it.

This is pretty much off topic, so i'm going to stop talking about Johnny Depp.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
I wasn't saying they were his best roles, just that those are examples of movies where he isn't Sam or Willy Wonka or random typecast character.
That's why I mention it.

Yea but my point was that maybe him being typecast isn't necessarily a bad thing.

And Johnny Depp has been in maybe only a few movies I like. He is typecast in every movie he is in as the zany-crazy-fucker that is somehow off beat

I know typecasting sucks but I don't think he knows any other way. He's just so odd...

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Johnny Depp is a pretty good actor... I don't see how you can argue that him being typecast is a good thing.

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
off beat [except when he was in Platoon, Dead Man, Nick of Time, Donnie Brasco and From Hell]. I can't wait till he stops acting.

In before, "he directed Nightmare Before Christmas :isidro:", no that was Henry Selick.

Hahahahaha

What about Blow, What's eating Gilbert Grape?, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Astronaut's wife, Chocolate, The 9th Gate. He was pretty decent in these and not being a Burton film.

Don't get me wrong, Johnny Depp is no doubt apart of Burton's clique, kinda like Jason Mewes, Ben Affleck, Jason Lee, are pretty much in Kevin Smith's clique. Depp and Burton do make a lot of movies together, but that in no way makes Depp a bad actor. I say Depp only recently has done more Burton films, where the rest are various. I'm glad he tends to have a different look and feel each movie. Is Leonardo really a bad actor for teaming up with Scorsese so often?

Death May Die said:
Depp and Burton do make a lot of movies together, but that in no way makes Depp a bad actor.

No, he's a good actor, but lately I feel he's played characters that are too similar to one another. I'd like to see him take on a role more like Donnie Brasco. Acting...normal.

Death May Die said:
Is Leonardo really a bad actor for teaming up with Scorsese so often?

Well, that duo is a relatively recent pairing. You'd be safer using DeNiro for that question. In response to your question, DiCaprio has played pretty different characters in his Scorcese pictures. Depp is playing the madman too often for my taste. Give someone else a shot. Without having seen Alice yet, I almost have The Mad Hatter's mannerisms completely visualized in my mind. (Captain jack with less "Arr.")

Vampire_Hunter_Bob

Cats are great
Oburi said:
Yea but my point was that maybe him being typecast isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Because limiting your roles to one type of character isn't a bad thing.

I know typecasting sucks but I don't think he knows any other way. He's just so odd...
He actually isn't all that odd, it's because a good percentage of his movies he plays an odd character that he is perceived as being odd.

Death May Die said:
Hahahahaha

What about Blow, What's eating Gilbert Grape?, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, The Astronaut's wife, Chocolate, The 9th Gate. He was pretty decent in these and not being a Burton film.

This:
Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:

Also he fits the the mold of random wacky character, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Proj2501 said:
I'd like to see him take on a role more like Donnie Brasco. Acting...normal.

Speaking of him being in more crime dramas, anyone see Public Enemies?

Vampire_Hunter_Bob said:
This:
Also he fits the the mold of random wacky character, in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
Speaking of him being in more crime dramas, anyone see Public Enemies?

No. Mediocre reviews made me skeptical. Was it any good?

Top Bottom