Movies to dread

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Depp was actually the reason I didn't go see Public Enemies. I was worried he would Johnny Depp all over an otherwise great-sounding movie.

Oburi

All praise Grail
Oh man Public Enemies was terrible. just saw it the other night and fell asleep halfway through. The cinematography was so bad it looked like a tv movie (terrible angles, too many close ups), plus all the shaky hand held stuff and lets not forget Bale's horrible (just horrible) performance. Unlike almost all his past films, Depp had no room to breath because the script was so bad. Again, another performance where Depp plays it straight. Personally I prefer wackiness.

I want to know if anyone has seen The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ?

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Oburi said:
I want to know if anyone has seen The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus ?
I have not, but while we're at it, I'd advise people to stay away from Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard the title, and that was quite enough.

James Cameron is the new George Lucas.

There's been talk about a 3D version of Titanic for a while, but now James Cameron has given USA Today an estimated release frame.

"We're targeting spring of 2012 for the release (of a 3D version of 'Titanic'), which is the 100 year anniversary of the sailing of the ship," Cameron said in an interview about 3D technology at theaters and in the home.

He added that Avatar may return to 3D theaters this fall with extra footage.
images

When asked about when we may see the 3D Blu-ray, Cameron said: "We're not officially announcing it right now but I'm hoping for fall. The wildcard is that we might be re-releasing the movie this fall. It's kind of gotten stomped out (in theaters) because of 'Alice in Wonderland.' The word we're getting back from exhibitors is we probably left a couple of hundred million dollars on the table as a result. The question is the appetite still going to be there after the summer glut of movies. We're going to assess that. We're talking about maybe adding in additional footage and doing something creative."

:schierke:
images

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, wouldn't Titanic have to be refilmed if it were to be in the same kind of 3D that Avatar was?

Walter said:
Wait, wouldn't Titanic have to be refilmed if it were to be in the same kind of 3D that Avatar was?

I doubt they will re-film. Possibly, shots of the ship that were done in CG might get new treatment.

Ugh.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
I doubt they will re-film.
Don't goad James "King of the World" "Billion Dollar Movies" Cameron into doing that. Please, don't.

Possibly, shots of the ship that were done in CG might get new treatment.
That won't work though. So at only key points in the film you'll get a 3D effect?

Here's some info on why Avatar is different from Titanic when it comes to 3D, and why this proposal to retroactively make Titanic a 3D movie is a strange move... :
[quote author=http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/industry/4339455.html?page=2]To film the live-action sequences of Avatar, he used a modified version of the Fusion camera. The new 3D camera creates an augmented-reality view for Cameron as he shoots, sensing its position on a motion-capture stage, then integrating the live actors into CG environments on the viewfinder.[/quote]

Ah.... if Proj had read the whole article, the "conversion" process is explained even before he gets to the Titanic announcement.

[quote author=http://content.usatoday.com/communities/technologylive/post/2010/03/james-cameron/1]
At least in the near term, that it won't be economically feasible to start converting old episodes of MASH to 3D because it won't look good. If you use some automated process or some cost-effective process for that type of programming its going to look like crap. It's like colorization looked like crap.

Q: How do converted films look?
A: It's never going to be as good as if you shot it in 3D, but think of it as sort of 2.8D.

Q: How long does it take?
A: They're converting Clash of the Titans in eight weeks. But I'm guessing six months to a year to do it right. We're targeting spring of 2012 for the release (of a 3D version of Titanic), which is the 100 year anniversary of the sailing of the ship.[/quote]

Walter said:
Ah.... if Proj had read the whole article, the "conversion" process is explained even before he gets to the Titanic announcement.

In my bullshit Art History class sir. Cut me some slack.

Walter

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
In my bullshit Art History class sir. Cut me some slack.
You had time to fetch those Doc Brown and barfing(eyewashing?) images, but not read the source article? Hmm.... :azan:

Oburi

All praise Grail
No. Just like alice in wonderland wasn't shot in 3d as opposed to avatar which was. I don't understand it technically but I can see the difference for sure.

Rhombaad

Video Game Time Traveler
Alice looked good in IMAX but pretty bad in 3D. Unless it was shot with a 3D Camera, please leave the movie alone... :schierke:

Well either they can or can't do it. I'm sure if they throw enough money at it, they probably can. I just wonder if people are interested in seeing a re-release of titanic at all. I would rather see Cameron put time into a brand new project rather than reinvent something most people are quite familiar with. I guess if anything it'll be a good challenge and if its successfully maybe it'll encourage others to be more open minded to it.

I wonder if by "maybe doing something creative" means filming specifically "new" footage and not particularly using footage that they hadn't used in the theater cut.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
Proj2501 said:
Predators

http://www.predators-movie.com/

I'll put this here. Hopefully it proves me wrong.

I was getting sort of excited until the PredaDog™ appeared. Reusing Silvestri's score and sound samples from the first movie's actors is a good idea, but I'm not sure it'll actually be in the movie instead of just being a promotional move.

I think a Predator film set outside Earth is a terrible idea. The PredaDog is proof enough.

And Adrien Brody? I can kill him with my bare hands, and the last time I got into a fight was 1996 with another 8 year old kid and I lost.

Hopefully PredaDog doesn't have too many scenes. Anyone else notice the one Predator tied up to a tree? If there's a race of Predators that hunt other Predators, then I'm hopeful. I always thought that made for an appropriate concept.

EDIT:

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/03/sxsw-predators/

Brace yourself for...PredaSquito. Horrid. I really hope that was just a concept that never made it past the drawing board. Look at it's stinger! Are you kidding me?!

"Hmm. Adrien Brody is in this flick. Let's add giant bugs!" King Kong anyone? :judo:

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2010/03/sxsw-predators/ said:
The Predators in the upcoming film, due in July, are part of a new tribe we haven’t met yet, the duo said during the packed screening. As in the original film, every Predator is a trophy hunter and an expert in stalking and killing its prey, but each monster has its own specialized skill. There’s a falconer Predator who has a little UAV that serves as its eyes in the sky, a dog handler Predator (we got to see production art of its dog, sort of a dinosaur-wolf hybrid) and a “Super Predator” the production team refers to as “Mr. Black.”

Looks like all it's missing is Albert Wesker.

Official Teaser for Predators:
http://movies.ign.com/dor/objects/429477/predator-3/videos/predators_trl1_031810.html;jsessionid=a3n65dpzf024?show=hi

Y'know, how many times can the line, "Fear is Reborn" be used. :schierke:

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
Y'know, how many times can the line, "Fear is Reborn" be used. :schierke:

That about summed it up, I am completely unmoved. There better be a lot more to it or they're going to make Wes Anderson look ambitious. Might not matter though, the Yakuza/katana element alone automatically pushes it into the lamer zone, which it looks like it otherwise occupies anyway, judging from most of the cast.

My father upon learning Rodriguez wasn't even directing, "Oh no, he's one of those guys now, he's already moved into the 'presents' stage of his career?"

:ganishka:

グリフィス said:
My father upon learning Rodriguez wasn't even directing, "Oh no, he's one of those guys now, he's already moved into the 'presents' stage of his career?"

I really don't know why everyone wants to get down on their knees for this guy. Yeah, Sin City was cool. I enjoyed Desperado when I was alot younger. Planet Terror I took with a grain of salt. (I was more excited to see Hicks once again shoot things to be perfectly honest.) Having his name in front of it doesn't really make me think, "Yes...now this is going to be GOLD!" If I saw, Spielberg Presents: Predators, I'd still be fucking skeptical.

グリフィス said:
Might not matter though, the Yakuza/katana element alone automatically pushes it into the lamer zone

So the Predators are scouting for killers on Earth? Fine. They happen to spot some No Good Japanese Bad Boys and notice one is 'Oh so Proficient' with a katana? Kind of dumb. "We need an Asian in this movie!" "Oh, oh, GIVE HIM A SWORD...YEAH!!!"

Because THAT'S not cliche. PFSHHHH.

Also, I love that he still has his tie on. "Must preserve my honor...and my sense of style."

An interview with the Director. (Scroll down a tad)
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/sxsw-interview-nimrod-antal.php

P.S. Repo Men looks FUCKIN' silly.

Griffith

With the streak of a tear, Like morning dew
Proj2501 said:
I really don't know why everyone wants to get down on their knees for this guy. Yeah, Sin City was cool. I enjoyed Desperado when I was alot younger. Planet Terror I took with a grain of salt. (I was more excited to see Hicks once again shoot things to be perfectly honest.) Having his name in front of it doesn't really make me think, "Yes...now this is going to be GOLD!" If I saw, Spielberg Presents: Predators, I'd still be fucking skeptical.

Does everyone? Like you said, who cares that his name is on it if he's not even taking the responsibility of directing, which is what he's good for. Otherwise, why bother? Oh, but Rodriguez wrote it... wait, that's the problem with his movies.

Speaking of which, the premise immediately sucks and doesn't make sense.

Proj2501 said:
An interview with the Director. (Scroll down a tad)
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/sxsw-interview-nimrod-antal.php

Ewww, speaking of on one's knees, that writer! Whose asshole did you dig that cocksucker out of? I like how he plays hard to get before spitting this load out of his mouth about that completely stock teaser:

http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/sxsw-interview-nimrod-antal.php said:
My first impression of what I saw? I loved it, and couldn’t help but smile ear to ear during the presentation. Make no mistake, you will see a movie that lives up to the first film, and honestly could even be better considering the cast and the advancements in special effects. I could tell that the project is very near and dear to both Rodriguez and Antal, and that usually translates into a treat for the fans.

WOWowowow wowy wow! :isidro:

This pathetic shill could see all that just from watching the same underwhelming footage I just did? I mean, don't undersell it or anything, guy. Well then, I'm looking forward to seeing the Sci-Fi action movie that's better than Predator, I guess it was bound to happen after 23 years.

Aazealh

Administrator
Staff member
You know I find it funny how the fact Rodriguez wrote the script in the nineties when he was a twenty-something is touted as a great thing.

"What could possibly be cooler than King Willie's sword cane? I know man! A Japanese sword!" :ganishka:

Not sure if anyone has posted this crap yet. Seriously hot tub time machine, I mean wtf kind of title is that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D78ymToNBMM

Top Bottom